#1881804 09/10/21 02:28 PM
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Dolly Parton's Imagination Library receives award from Library of Congress

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WZTV) — Dolly Parton's Imagination Library, which has helped deliver more than 161 million books to kids across the world, has been honored by the Library of Congress.

The Library of Congress awarded the Imagination Library with the $150,000 David M. Rubenstein Prize for its work in helping literacy in kids.

“Since 2014 when the Imagination Library received ‘best practice’ recognition from the Library of Congress Literacy Awards, the Dollywood Foundation has strategically positioned the Imagination Library for aggressive growthAlthough mailing the books to each child’s home is only one aspect of Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library, it is a remarkable feat that helps improve literacy on an international scale and creates special moments for children and families.” - Library of Congress

Imagination Library was started in 1995 and has since helped deliver more than 161 million books to children in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia and Republic of Ireland.

Dolly's library sends 1.8 million books each month to children birth to age five around the world.

“We are grateful to win what truly is the most prestigious award from the Library of Congress. This award showcases how the dream Dolly had years ago has become one of the world’s largest book gifting programs,” Jeff Conyers, Dollywood Foundation president, said. “She continues to express her pride in what the Imagination Library has become, and she is excited for the growth it is poised to experience moving forward. There is no doubt Dolly treasures being called ‘The Book Lady’ more than just about anything.”

https://fox17.com/news/local/dolly-parto...M4dlSQbwZawUObw

Dolly Parton helped fund Moderna's Covid-19 vaccine research

In April, less than a month after Covid-19 was officially declared a pandemic, Dolly Parton donated $1 million to coronavirus research at Vanderbilt University.

More than seven months later, it's been revealed that the legendary performer's donation helped fund Moderna's Covid-19 vaccine, which this week became the second coronavirus vaccine with a stunningly high success rate.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/17/entertainment/dolly-parton-covid-moderna-vaccine-trnd/index.html

There's more in the article but I didn't want to turn this into another Covid debate.

I mean even for those who don't like country music, you gotta love Dolly. We could use more human beings like her.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Dolly Parton
Emmylou Harris
Alison Kraus
Linda Ronstadt

Four of my favorite female singers of all time.

Legend
Legend
thumbsup

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
T
Legend
Legend
T
I don't particularly love Dolly Parton more than anyone else or as much as some others seem to.
I don't get her personality, as publicly presented.
I don't think 1 million is an inordinate amount to potentially come up with for someone who had a near 30 year entertainment and singing career, followed up with owning an amusement park and surrounding accomidation empire.

I think we could use more human beings who'd not let anyone else find out if they donated, it doesn't serve any purpose to make those public.

I don't think people should generally be celebrated, it leads to pride. If society went around celebrating everyone for things anyone could potentially do, and even what anyone can't, we'd be caught up in an endless cycle of celebrating innumerous individuals for ever arbitruary criteria.

Well you asked.

OF Course I'm going to say no. If you had said we should Hate Dolly, I would have sought to present reasons to like her.

But honestly she's easier to argure this way, because her personality, really seems odd to me, nobody is that happy and turns out genuine to me.
Or Fake excited, or enthusiastic about things of little significance.
So it's nice, she did some charitable work. So did Lance Armstrong; but that was 12-20 years ago. Didn't Lance Armstrong support a charitable cause 12-20 years ago, something about a wristband? Oh The people we would need to celebrate, the list would be endless.

( Except You THROW LONG! You would not be on it!) blah! whatever.
Remember that guy, in the movie "colors" with the wrinkles in his forehead, the older cop with the screen name Hodges, we could find a reason to celebrate HIM.
The list is Endless!
and Vanessa Hodginkins, some High school musical actress, would we celebrate when she does something? That's another name with Hodge in it, and don't forget Khaderal, I'm sure he' may be charitable at some point.

The point is, forced celebration of Perceived good deeds on a humanistic level is an ugly thing.
(Hey people in North Korea celebrate their great leader and are force to keep his picture on their wall.)

Now, that's a stretch, how do you get there^, well, it comes down to, who tells you what to celebrate, and why, and who decides what is worthy in society, and what is not. And if those deciders, (society), begins blatently presenting lies, and then demanding appreciation of those false realities,

well it begins with saying every time salute a decent cause, (because who wouldn't right, ) and then it progresses to saluting a Furhurer type, because
well you were gradually drawn down the line until it became unclear when it became wrong.

NO, I choose not to salute Dolly Parton today, (maybe tomorrow) and I'm glad she did her thing and the cause was helped so be it but,

Know that my not saluting her won't cause anyone else to get covid nor stop her donation contributing to the vccines development.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Well Throw, in order to ever learn to love others, one must first learn to love who you are as a person. Being happy with who you are as a person goes along way in helping you be able to see the good, the love and the compassion in others.

My advice would be that you start with that and work your way up from there. And have a nice day.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Examine, How Kevin Hart, who was on the Ellen show,
his national public speaking career seemed to begin the moment that Martin Lawrences' ended, because he got kicked out of the public eye, after keeping it real on a Saturday Night Live monologue.

Keep listening to your Kevin Harts.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
rofl

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
A great award to a great organization.

Dolly Parton is a great woman.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Wow that's quite the rambling post.

Quote:
I don't think 1 million is an inordinate amount to potentially come up with for someone who had a near 30 year entertainment and singing career, followed up with owning an amusement park and surrounding accomidation empire.

You act as if that's the only charitable thing she has done.. the list is rather long.

Quote:
But honestly she's easier to argure this way, because her personality, really seems odd to me, nobody is that happy and turns out genuine to me.

How do you know it's fake? People who aren't generally happy are often confused and cynical of those who are.

Quote:
So it's nice, she did some charitable work. So did Lance Armstrong; but that was 12-20 years ago. Didn't Lance Armstrong support a charitable cause 12-20 years ago, something about a wristband? Oh The people we would need to celebrate, the list would be endless.

Live Strong arose out of Lance Armstrong's own battle with cancer.. I can have full appreciation for his support of that cause while also disliking the fact that he cheated at cycling for many years.. those are 2 different things.

Quote:
The point is, forced celebration of Perceived good deeds on a humanistic level is an ugly thing.
(Hey people in North Korea celebrate their great leader and are force to keep his picture on their wall.)

First, nobody is forcing you to do anything, just making the information available for anybody who would like to recognize celebrities for the good they do.. since they are easily the subject of ridicule when they do something wrong, I have no problem recognizing them when they do good.

Second, donating money to medical research or sending books to kids who wouldn't otherwise have them isn't a "perceived good deed".. it's just a good deed.

yebat' Putin
A
Legend
Legend
A
Agreed. And to boot, she didn't HAVE to do it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
I don't particularly love Dolly Parton more than anyone else or as much as some others seem to.
I don't get her personality, as publicly presented.

I think we could use more human beings who'd not let anyone else find out if they donated, it doesn't serve any purpose to make those public.

I don't think people should generally be celebrated, it leads to pride. If society went around celebrating everyone for things anyone could potentially do, and even what anyone can't, we'd be caught up in an endless cycle of celebrating innumerous individuals for ever arbitruary criteria.

Well you asked.

OF Course I'm going to say no. If you had said we should Hate Dolly, I would have sought to present reasons to like her.

( Except You THROW LONG! You would not be on it!) blah! whatever.
Remember that guy, in the movie "colors" with the wrinkles in his forehead, the older cop with the screen name Hodges, we could find a reason to celebrate HIM.
The list is Endless!
and Vanessa Hodginkins, some High school musical actress, would we celebrate when she does something? That's another name with Hodge in it, and don't forget Khaderal, I'm sure he' may be charitable at some point.

Now, that's a stretch, how do you get there^, well, it comes down to, who tells you what to celebrate, and why, and who decides what is worthy in society, and what is not. And if those deciders, (society), begins blatently presenting lies, and then demanding appreciation of those false realities,

well it begins with saying every time salute a decent cause, (because who wouldn't right, ) and then it progresses to saluting a Furhurer type, because
well you were gradually drawn down the line until it became unclear when it became wrong.

NO, I choose not to salute Dolly Parton today, (maybe tomorrow) and I'm glad she did her thing and the cause was helped so be it but,

Know that my not saluting her won't cause anyone else to get covid nor stop her donation contributing to the vccines development.

I am sorry for you. There are good people and not so good people and you can’t seem to differentiate between the two.

Since I bike, I know a bit about your poster boy Lance. Lance Armstrong was a cheat. A great cheat. He doped his ass up so much it probably resulted in the testicular cancer that became the Livestrong wristband. End of story, disgraced human scum. Hell he even tossed Sheryl Crow aside.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
I've been a Dolly Parton fan since forever.

She's one of the smartest, sharpest entertainers/businesspersons of her generation.

I like her story.
I like her accomplishments.
I love her philanthropy.
I like her politics.

...and I like how her mind works.

My favorite Dolly Parton quote (which totally sums up her intellect, and ironic sense of humor):

"It costs a lot of money to look this cheap."
rofl

How self-aware and in-control does a person have to be, to give away her entire game out-loud, in public? That is total ownership, my friends.

I've said it many times before in this forum: Clemmy's a fan of Girl Power.
Dolly is a Girl Power OG.

One Badass Babe.

thumbsup

"too many notes, not enough music-"
B
Legend
Legend
B
And unlike a lot of people who make it, she is still firmly entrenched in her roots. She is still a girl from Sevierville, Tn.

She never forgot that.

She might have some silver spoons to hand out today, but she sure never had one handed to her. She grew up about as poor as poor gets in this country.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

Bravo Dolly !

Legend
Legend
How can anybody not love Dolly. She is a little sweetheart.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
T
Legend
Legend
T
There is a difference between loving someone, and being Told to love someone. Somehow it was made a point to highlight the celebration, look at the thread title.
I think people should do nice things in anonymity unless necessary.
It's not an easy point to get, just everyone can consider me the bad guy, but it's a virtue I believe is right.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
So you haven't evolved to the point of understanding what a question mark is? Somehow I'm not surprised. Try looking at the thread title again. It was a question.

Your distaste for such a kind human being tells us a lot more about you than it does her.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: GMdawg

I was down at Dollywood a couple of years ago. She was talking to a couple of guys when I walked by. I waved and she waved back. I'm pretty sure she wanted me.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty

I was down at Dollywood a couple of years ago. She was talking to a couple of guys when I walked by. I waved and she waved back. I'm pretty sure she wanted me.

She is 75. Maybe she's senile? rofl

(JK, but I couldn't resist)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Man Ytown... I felt that smack from just reading it as an observer. Brutal. Savage even.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
It was meant in good fun, and I hope taken as such.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty

Dream on lol

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Who Doesn't Love Dolly!?

Link Copied to Clipboard