Print Thread
#1883679 09/14/21 05:01 PM
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
I know its late for the thread but I've just got out of rehab originally a day pass to see the game and once insurance caught a wiff of it they said oh you can be released from rehab.

So had tto have my traditional opening day chili. And watch the game.

Baker was sharp and hitting some tight windows in the game...saving the TDs for the RBs and our running game.

It was the 4th quarter and I couldn't believe we still had the lead for the 2nd half we just looked so ho hum and no adjustments. But there we were still with the lead as our D was play excellent football.

Ward really came to play as he made some unbelievable defenses Garrett consistently was ridden deep and Mahnomes would step up into the Gap but we still stayed in control and then it started to happen...some terrible Mojo with Chubb fumbling, something he doesn't do. Then the worst happened with the Hammer just losing his concentration and dropping the ball on a punt giving them a gift TD but still we were in the game. One drive stalled and we punted and got the ball back.

Baker was driving us down for a game winning TD drive oh man was the MOJO bad as Baker rolled to his left he felt the pressure so was throwing the ball high and to the sidelines where Harrison would be the only one to catch the ball or it would go out of bounds but just as baker was throwing the ball he got his legs swiped at the exact same time and our drive ended then and there...

Yada Yada - we played well at their stadium - fact is we lost a game that we should have won! When we win these games then we will know we are a Championship team. Until then close is only good for Hangernades and horse shoes.

So close and yet so far.

Rookie Shwartz played well again all our good plays happened early outside of our Run game.

I like the new guys they really played well. Lets end this close stuff and start stomping on some teams the way we should. Well I know there are other threads but what the heck....What did you all see.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
i saw our D line explode off the line like they were shot out of a rocket. there were so many times where clowney and garrett got mahomes out of the pocket, just have to finish. the run D was amazing!

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
D
Legend
Legend
D
Glad to see u got to watch the game my brother … hope the chili was good … smile

Tough Loss.

We outplayed them, turnovers killed us.

The two things I didn’t like:

1. Chubb played 53% of the snaps … I love Hunt but Chubb is the best RB in football and needs to be on the field more than 1/2 the plays … Bad Kev .. Bad Kev …

2. No adjustments in the 2nd half … we were outcoached in the 2nd half and still would have won minus the turnovers … Kev’s done a great job but he’s human too …

Unlike most of the dolts I thought our D played good for there first game together with like 7 or 8 new starters and we were playing the chiefs …

They gave up 33 points with 10 coming on short fields … granted they only had 2 first half possessions but it’s not like we were playing the lions or bears … they have the best TE and a top 3 WR in football who is impossible to cover and Mahomes … some folks have no clue and must whine about everything even when all they do is prove how little they know about the game …

I expect to see weekly improvement from this group … next week should be a HUGE LEAP but that has a lot to do with the caliber of the opponent ….

Barring injuries we’ll be there at the end … the O looked like a well oiled machine w/o OBJ and the D will be a night and day difference by playoff time ….

OH, i really love the dolts that say we should have played the starters in the pre-season … rofl … we OWNED THE 1st half … I guess it took a half for the rust to set in … rolleyes

The Isle should be hoppin soon … get ready cap … cool

LETS GOOOOOOOOOooooooooo thumbsup

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Give some love to the following new players.

Newsome
McDowell
Schwartz (mentioned)

Greedy even played.

And I have to say it.... No Sendejo...

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Good to see you back sir. Nice take on things

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
jc

Did JOK play much?

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The offense was defensive and the defense was offensive.

Legend
Legend
Glad to see you EO. Agreed with points above.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
JOK had his reps and he didn't make mistakes but was waiting for some impact plays and there were none.

It seemed like Kelce was not covered by JOK when I was watching to see how he would cover it seemed like he would blitz and they would hit Kelce and I can only say when JOK covered Kelce I didn't see them successful so it was more they stayed away from JOK???

Yeah the only thing about preseason but all teams were under the effect. Nobody was in football shape for stamina issues but I thought we utilized a good rotation throughout the game so that effort was always there even with Joe Jackson in there.

Did Higgins play I don't think we went to the WRs much outside of the early hits to Schwartz and Landry made a couple of plays - I don't like the gadget plays early, mabey in the 4th quarter we should have done them when the defense was tired on their end and if we did a reverse it would have been successful.

Got to be ready for the Texans as they are 1-0 and we are 0-1...ready for 16 straight but we got to get this first one.

Nobody really played bad. All the new guys really contributed.

We got jobbed on that Harrison call. Emotional on both parts but we clearly got screwed it was not a case of 2nd guy getting the penalties. Cause they called the penalty on the KC Coach then they had NY take over the game as NY made that call and threw Harrison out....Nobody should have been thrown out and if anywas to be thrown out their RB coach should have been!!

The good news is that we came out of it relatively injury free Hopefully Wills can recover quickly on the ankle sprain.
Hubbard didn't play BAD but he needed a lot of help and he is nowhere close as affective in the run game as Wills is.

Either sit him another game or have him play hurt.???

OL and DL played well

I liked the new speed of Mack, thought he played well and most improved from last year. Taki didn't look so good, not bad just not good. The new guy #4 did well!

Njoku looks to be a weapon this year and when we get into play action in the Zone he will be a big threat but our Run game was real good and didn't need play action.

Chili was good and we added Noodles yesterday for dinner. grin

Eliminate the turn overs and we win that game...Heck eliminate that Punt gaff and we win the game! The Baker thing was just a shame - he didn't make a mistake it was just something that happened with bad timing on our part a little sooner on the leg swipe and Baker throws that one in the ground and little later on the swipe and he has a clean throw that would not have been INT'd so what can you do its just a shame cause Baker has that hero in him to win those kind of games...Playoffs we will beat KC I have no doubt about it...now to win our Division and get in the Playoffs the right way!

Thank you all for the participation. It Sucks but its nowhere like the Suck we had to experience in the past. We played well and should have beaten the SB team for the AFC.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
It looks to me like Stefanski and the coaches want to have various ways to attack teams … it really keeps them off balance and is tough to prepare for.

Using Schwartz really threw KC for a loop, so now Houston will be wary of him … which is when you hit them with something else or a new wrinkle, etc

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Welcome back Eo,, Great assessment for the game..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend

A tough pill to swallow. Hate losing a game like that when we had them on their back.

The Chiefs had no answer against our offense.

When Chubb fumbled we were driving to score.
When the int. happened we were driving to score.

IMO there is no excuse for dropping a punt snap. Jamie has two jobs a holder and punting. He has thousands of hours to work on those two things. Do your job.

Probably the only two players to make a 75 yard TD like that are Mahomes and Hill. That play gave them life.

Playing a team the caliber of the Chiefs you can not give them a short field on a turnover. No Can Do.

From looking at the game through a perspective of just talent IMO we are the better team.

We won the LOS on both sides of the ball. They can not run. We can.

We did not cover Kelce well. On a couple plays Malcolm Smith looked like he was playing off man coverage. No contest for Kelce. He won those plays.

I sure hope we get another crack at them. Three should be the charm.

Have to give kudos to Malik McDowell, Newsome, and JOK on their first game.

McDowell has enormous upside. As this season rolls along he will only get better.

Both JOK and Newsome played well for their first game.

Major credit to Berry on this roster.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

The Isle should be hoppin soon … get ready cap … cool

LETS GOOOOOOOOOooooooooo thumbsup

Diam! Good to see a post from you, brother.

I am ready! Getting the place cleaned up as we speak.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I saw the same defense I saw last year with a bunch of new names and higher salaries. Maybe they will "Gel" by the time we play another playoff team...better yet...maybe they will find a scheme and discipline that they didn't have last year either...with lesser talent.

I saw a defense give up a 1st down on 9 of 13 3rd down attempts.

I saw a Dline in pass defense incessantly and uselessly do the same thing over and over and over without making an adjustment. Did our million $ DEs commit 2 - or was it 3 - offsides penalties in the zeal to run past Mahomes in the backfield?

I saw the backs of LBs' jerseys chasing from behind...I didn't see one standout play by any LB.

I saw the secondary play well with the exception of the Joe Flacco special by PM...not much you can do when the football Gods are smiling on the other team in that one.

I saw us lose a game we could have won...the turnovers and muffed punt-snap cost us the game...any one of those turnovers/goofs DON'T happen and we probably win the game.

Going forward...the Offense needs to avoid the turnovers and keep on truckin...and the Defense needs to play up to its hype and new level of talent.

Legend
Legend
Diam, good to see you posting again. I think the reason Chubb was only in on 53% of the plays was because of the temperature. It was in the 90's I believe, I would think Chubb will get increased time this week.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Tab, better late than never! Glad you got to see the game. Hope your health improves!

#gmstrong
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
I saw a D scheme that didn't adjust, nor did it set the players up to be successful. The LBs suffered the most under the 2-deep soft zone which allowed Kelce and Hill run around in open space giving an already talented Mahomes the best opportunity to sustain drives. In fact, TEs have burned the Browns so much in the past, and have been effectively used by the Championship contenders (Pats, Chiefs, Bucs) that one would think some brilliant Defensive Coordinator would create a scheme specifically just for TEs.

One can legitimately argue that The Hammer's dropped snap was the direct losing moment given that if you remove the subsequent Chief's TD, the Browns win. I think the real "winning" moment was Chris Jones' sack on Mayfield as it was a complete momentum changer for the Chief's D. The Browns really didn't mount much of a threat after that sack as the rest of the Chief's D stepped up their game - just as one would expect from a SB contender.

Bring on the Texans and let's get a win.

O
Legend
Legend
O

He has matured quite a bit IMHO. My QB.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 09/15/21 02:37 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
I think Houston is in for a world of hurt.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I don't have too much to add but

-JOK.. definitely raw but that's ok. Dude is soo fast though. On a kick off the KC returner decided to bring it out from about 6yrds in the endzone.. JOK met him at like the 10yrd line!

-Schwartz looked smooth. That speed is nice.

-I saw an offense that like year moves in 1 gear. But thats ok because its like a freight train

-Njoku is going to be big for us

-Baker to me is night and day more athletic than he has been. Just physically his body mechanics are much smoother.

-Run game looks like it picked up where it left off last year.

-Hubbard IMO did a fair job filling in at LT

-BEAUTIFUL Pass breakups by Ward and JJ3

-M.J. Stewart had a pretty good outing in place of Harrison

-I still feel like our LBers don't really have a defined role in this defense.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 29 Chiefs 33 What I saw Game #1

Link Copied to Clipboard