Next Thread
Print Thread
#1883744 09/14/21 11:27 PM
L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
Alright, as TL said, Houston is no gimme. To beat them, we have to..., just show up at the stadium.

Kidding.

On O: the usual - run Chubb and Hunt, soften up the D, go to our lights-out play action, we will put up 30 plus points.

On D: the Chiefs have the best offence we’ll see all year, but I want to continue to get pressure on the Texans. We know what Tyrod does and doesn’t do: he takes care of the ball but rarely tries to stretch the field. he won’t be getting the ball off like Mahomes does, so if our back end is solid, our front will have a field day.

Keep him in the pocket, don’t let him run around or dink and dunk us. If I’m Joe Woods I consider putting a spy on Tyrod.

On ST, don’t drop the snap when we punt. It’s bad for business.

This is our home opener, and we can’t be losing a game like this.

I hope the fans are impactful like KC’s were. Be loud, Dawgs!

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
If the DLine does it's job, Houston will be wobbling out of town with a busted Tyrod.

This game really is ours to take or give away. We just need to take nothing for granted and play our football and it will be all good. It where if we go on cruise control that we'll lose this one. We just have to stay focused on playing hard and executing the game plan and we'll have it.

Whomever is the #1 WR this week, he gets Money Mitchell covering him. LOTS of familiarity there. He knows our schemes and our personnel.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

T
Legend
Legend
T
It wouldn't hurt to see the Browns get real run heavy.
400 yards on the ground usually wins.

The Texans Defense may be tougher to run against than the Chiefs D was, or maybe not.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend

Play a sound game with no turnovers and the game will not be close.

Turn the ball over and you can lose to any team.

Talent and good coaching wins most games.

We have talent and good coaching. Sunday 79 and sunny with light wind.

Not like last week.

Home game so, protect the Pound.

I don't think this game will be close. We should win by two scores or more.

Legend
Legend
- dont fumble
- dont push the other coaches

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
Legend
O
I say just come in angry and/but don't do stupid stuff. IMO, the defense still has time to get its -ish together, but I don't want to see ANY Browns defenders throwing their arms up in the air in frustration. No more mental breakdowns... as a defense we're way too smart for that and we're playing against Tyrod Taylor.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Play sound football. I don't really care if we win by one score or 30 scores as long as it looks like we were in control of the game the whole time.

No turnovers. I'd also like to see us actually run a 3 safety base defense. Hopefully we have 3 safeties to run it this game. Is there any word on Delpit?

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
What bothered me about the KC game is that we appeared in total control of the game. They couldn’t stop us and we seemed one step ahead of them. The Chubb/punter mishaps totally changed it

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Sometimes the harderst thing is
For a good team to stay focused
And hungry when facing a lesser team
How many times since 1999 have we
Seen the Browns play
better fball vs a better team
Pats with Mangini as coach..Ravens...in Harbaughs 1st few years.?
This is a game the Browns cant afford to
Let the Texans hang around.
Play smart fundamental fball

M
Legend
Legend
M
Honestly think Stefanski is not going to let the Browns ever sleep on an opponent.

I think we can and will win - I think we need to win with as little exotic play calling and scheming as possible ... like when the Browns converted on 4th down or the 2 point conversion vs KC and we simple lined up in goal line and said "we're better than you, stop us if you can" ... I think we need to go out and handle them. Save the nuance for other games where needed.

Last edited by mgh888; 09/15/21 11:29 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
Sometimes the harderst thing is
For a good team to stay focused
And hungry when facing a lesser team
How many times since 1999 have we
Seen the Browns play
better fball vs a better team
Pats with Mangini as coach..Ravens...in Harbaughs 1st few years.?
This is a game the Browns cant afford to
Let the Texans hang around.
Play smart fundamental fball

is this a sonnet

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Looks like we will have to do it without Odell again.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
Legend
Legend
Haiku?
Tanka?
Poetic . . . .

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
T
Legend
Legend
T
Have to or get to.

C
Legend
Legend
C
This would be a great game to give Delpit a go and get Mack Wilson off the field.

Legend
Legend
I’m in favor of getting wilson off the field

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I’m in favor of getting wilson off the field

It’s only a matter of time.

Legend
Legend
They looked better their first game than I expected... their offense will move the ball some if Taylor gets protection.... their defense is still trash... they looked good against Jacksonville, but it was against a rookie in his first game...

we should win this game... but Texans looked a lot better their first game than I was expecting...

<><

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
All the Browns need to do is show up, and lay into the Texans like they can.

These next 3-4 games we have should be all about working on our defense. Get guys working together and just win the game the Texans are no match for the Browns this will be a very comfortable easy week. Just don't get sloppy....

Start really getting the D Line and backend working better together. As the next few weeks go by the coaches will know better what we have and how the pieces fit together on defense.

On Offense hang onto the ball and run chubby run................

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
Legend
I wish I was as confident as other posters who feel like the next 3 games are fairly simple. I don’t think we’re at the point as a franchise to think that way, especially given our defense. Should we win against Houston, Chicago, and Minnesota? For sure … but I think they’ll be tighter than comfortable

2nd String
2nd String
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I wish I was as confident as other posters who feel like the next 3 games are fairly simple. I don’t think we’re at the point as a franchise to think that way, especially given our defense. Should we win against Houston, Chicago, and Minnesota? For sure … but I think they’ll be tighter than comfortable

After all the years/decades this team has failed to live up to it's potential I'm in a "they need prove they are really good" to me before I can believe they can do it each week. Until then I'm bracing for another let down.

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
Legend
Legend

I expect to win.

However, that does not mean I take any team for granted.

Football can be a crazy game. When a player makes an NFL roster. They can play. There are plenty of guys that we don't hear about that are good players.

All these guys are getting paid big money. They know the microscope they are under to perform. They are motivated.

We have to play a sound game.

The Browns have proved to be mentally tough. These players on this roster have lots to prove.

Play hard. Play smart.

O
Legend
Legend
O
The D is an obvious area that needs a little more time. They flashed all their potential, though.

-Clowney and Garrett sandwiching Mahommes in the pocket (seriously... Garrett got knocked back by the hit from Clowney through Mahommes... how PM got up from that is beyond me)
-Ward running with Hill and getting the PBU
-Malik showing he can be a force on starters and not just PS/roster cuts
-Newsome turning in a clean game
-Troy Hill had a quiet game (?)

The offense came as advertised, I'd even say better than advertised with the usage of Schwartz. I was one that was cautiously optimistic about Baker heading into this season, and you can't dispel all suspicions in one game, but he came in and played REALLY well against KC and had us up heading into the 4th and in a position to win (was moving the ball). Obviously what happened happened, but between him and KS this offense is picking up right where it left off in terms of how effective it is.

Like I said before, if they lose to Houston I'm putting one of TL's all-caps rants as my sig. I think we're at the point where we should expect our team to win games they should, especially coming off a tough loss.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
This is where Stefanski's value is greatest, IMO. His offensive scheme and playcalling get a lot of credit, and deservedly so. But his even keel and having his men prepared to play every gameday is his greatest trait.

Browns fans are born with it...
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: dnadawg
But his even keel and having his men prepared to play every gameday is his greatest trait.

It’s become the culture of the entire organization. Andrew Berry talks about it in The Ringer article from a few weeks ago.

Quote:
“I think it’s just being yourself,” he said. “I think a lot of people get into organizations or positions and they change who they are. And I think [Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski] and I took the approach that we’re disciplined but in a pretty laid-back way. We wanted to establish a culture of calm,” Berry said.

The “culture of calm” part of his response is important. Murphy said that he used to talk to his staff about Berry having a “preternatural calm to him.”

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2021/9/8/22662051/nfl-front-office-phenom-andrew-berry-browns

T
Legend
Legend
T
I hope they don't start 0-3. frown
One game at a time. Win one soon.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Browns have to protect Baker and get the running game going. This game depends on our OL and DL. Must be able to block Whitney Mercilus and open holes for our RBs. Defense must put pressure on their QB and not let him get comfortable.

Browns can't beat themselves like they did late against KC. No costly TOs and penalties. Can't afford to start 0-2. We have the homefield advantage and should win this game.

Legend
Legend
If Wills can't go, we will need to scheme heavily to protect the left side. That will slow down our O.

Aside from that, I think the plan is simple. Get up early and put pressure on them. Get TDs fast on every 1st Half drive to force them into passing mode, then run the ball the entire 2nd Half to kill the clock and have the defense tee-off on them non-stop.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
That's the same thing many complain about, not running up the score, but it's a solid game plan.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 31 Texans 21 Beating the Texans

Link Copied to Clipboard