Print Thread
#1883752 09/14/21 11:55 PM
E
EveDawg Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
What are you guys doing for workout routines?

Has covid changed it at all? (going to gym, or home workout)

I'm into yoga.

A few years ago I was going to a yoga studio, then injured my back.

So recently picked it back up again. But, now I found an awesome app that can completely customize my workout tailored to my needs/interests.

So I'm doing yoga at home instead of studio. Going very well so far.

What's your workout routine?

No Craps Given
T
Legend
Legend
T
With Routines things can get predictable, boring, structured, and sometimes things get missed but they have a place.
Without Routines there is a possibility of chaso.
Thank God for the eyesight I still have.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I walk my dog before work every morning. That’s it. I’m blessed by a crazy high metabolism. I wear the same size pants I’ve worn since I was in my late 20’s, twenty years ago. A 30 waist.
Sure it doesn’t necessarily mean I’m ‘healthy’ but I’m fit and height weight proportionate. So the drive to ‘work out’ isn’t there.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Run/elliptical every morning before the sun is up
Basketball/elliptical/lift every afternoon
Small walk after dinner

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
Legend
O
Eve,
Great topic!

Portland,
I'm the same way (never had trouble with too much weight, if anything it was the opposite).

Summary... because I ended up writing a novel
-Adult league ice hockey
-yoga (so I don't feel like I'm going to tear myself apart playing hockey)
-Lighter weight training
-or if nothing else, whatever I did that day that can pass as physical activity

I am becoming more and more aware of what happens to you as you get older. I'm seeing it in people around me and starting to see it in myself (I do think my metabolism is just now starting to slow down).

For exercise, I'm just trying to do 'something' every day. This can be as little as mowing the lawn or even just stretching or walking the dog or chasing around my son.
My biggest struggle with fitness is just doing it (putting on the running shoes, going to the gym, going to a yoga, etc).
In the past, I've run a LOT (X-country in high school and briefly in college) but I've found I've kinda lost the taste for going out for a run.
I play ice hockey once a week and the league I'm in now is definitely a couple steps faster than what I'm used to, so I definitely get a good sweat going. I play goalie, so for me hockey is less 'lungs' and more 'legs'. Over the past few years I've noticed my lower body feeling really tight while I'm playing, so I finally tried out yoga and it works SO well. It's an important part of my exercise now and I feel it on the rink when I get lazy about it.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Nothing at all, currently, which is new for me compared with the last decade. I moved in January and haven't found my way back to a gym, yet.

Once I do, however, it will be Crossfit. I really miss it. I miss the Olympic lifting and general barbell work.

I *should* be going for runs most every day, especially since I'm in the country now, but I just haven't gotten myself to do it. Fitness over the course of 2021 has been walking the dogs several times a day (I have about a 1/2 mile loop that they enjoy) and working on yard projects - fencing an acre, taking down nine large trees.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'm a big dude (6'3" and 215 lbs) and I have a slower metabolism, so I really need to watch what I eat and be diligent about working out. I suppose the flip side to that is I can put on muscle pretty easily when I try. The downside is that - despite my slower metabolism - I can still eat like a champ. I'm 38 now, but when I was in my early 20's in the "bulking bro" phase, I could down 3 Chipotle burritos in one setting. I won a bet one time to do it in half an hour. I was really dumb. Now I try to make sure I focus on eating healthier and getting a ton of exercise.

I have an Apple watch and I'm very competitive about making sure I close my rings and get my monthly badges. I used to be a member at LA Fitness, but stopped going when COVID hit. In March last year, I figured we would just be out for a couple weeks, so I treated it like a vacation, eating and drinking as I pleased, until I was realized "Oh, crap, it's June and I'm almost 240 lbs).

I popped in my old Insanity DVDs and did five rounds of it from June last year until July this year. I have to tell you, if you want to have a workout that gets you in shape athletically as fast as possible, Insanity is definitely a good way.

The problem is after doing so many rounds of it, I started getting bored and dreading doing the workouts. My joints were also suffering too because sometimes I would push myself too hard and my form would compromise.

So I actually subscribed to Beach Body On Demand, which includes Insanity, P90X (which I did before I got married) and a bunch of other programs that you can stream.

I'm in the middle of doing P90X again, and I bought a pull-up bar for my garage to help with it. It's also pretty intense (not as bad as Insanity), but focuses more on weight training and is less high-impact. It also has yoga at least once/week. It's going well.

I have to say by the way, that I hate Yoga, but it shows me that I have to do it more. Being 6'3" with long legs and a bigger frame makes me look like a doofus when I do it, but I have to say I feel much better when it's done. My wife who's 5'2" did it with me once and made me look horrible with how good she was, so I've banned her from doing it with me now, haha.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
This might be leading the thread off in another direction, but for the longest time, health for me was 100% physical activity. This was because of my metabolism that mirrors what Portland describes.

Only recently did I finally come around to diet being a major part of health, so I'm trying to focus on that more these days. My thinking has been shifting to changing my habits before I have to be forced to. I find that when I'm eating well (not skipping meals and putting good food into my mouth) that it has a ripple effect in terms of continued eating practices and fueling physical activity.

Back to some of Eve's original questions.... Living in southern California and renting meant I never had the space to want to set up anything at home, so I belonged to gyms and even did some Crossfit for while (loved it, btw, as long as the 'bro-factor' was kept in check). Now that I own my home here in OH and it has a basement, I actually started setting up a small home gym. I didn't get to finish it out, but I have enough for me. I have a really nice squat cage and a bar, but I didn't get around to purchasing a full set of plates before prices got stupid. I did get my hands on a nice set of adjustable dumbbells, adjustable bench, and a bunch of that foam workout floor surface so it's usable, if limited. My wife tends to gravitate to guided exercise videos (Tae Bo to yoga to whatever), so I threw a TV down there and she's good on the floor mats.

dawglover,
I don't particularly like yoga, but at this point I can't argue at all against its benefits for me. I've been playing hockey (goalie) pretty much non-stop since college, so my flexibility before I started yoga was much higher than average person, so I'm sure that helped. One thing I can't stand is when there's someone leading that's all into the spiritual side of yoga. My wife and I used to go to a yoga studio, and she would cringe when I was asked what I thought about it.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Haha, yeah the yoga stuff on P90x is just 1.5 hours of guided stuff. The first 50 minutes or so is intense yoga, which sucks for me. The latter part is mostly stretch poses and easy stuff. He does conclude with “Ommm’s” but makes it a point that it’s not a religious thing. I do it but it still kinda weirds me out a little bit.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
i'm on the ice 3-4 nights a week, and i try to walk on days where I am not playing hockey.

I would like to add another thing to my routine (yoga, weights, etc)

More than anything I am trying to cut crap out of my diet. I've actually had a good run the last few weeks. It's just so hard to not stop at taco bell or some fast food place after a hockey game lol

Legend
Legend
I started jogging four times a week - before I go into work - in January of 2021. I don't go too far, probably between a quarter mile and half mile? But it helps a lot. Working on going farther but don't want to give myself a heart attack - that's what I'm trying to avoid in the first place.

I also lift weights three times a week at Fitworks. I've been going there for well over a decade. I used to go way more but lately I unload trucks by hand at Amazon 4 days a week/10 hours a day and that takes a lot out of me... It is a workout unto itself. It's great exercise but a bit much for my 55 year old body to take on the 3rd and forth day. (I work four days a week.)

Note: If I don't feel like lifting and/or jogging I'll skip a day. Usually I don't feel like it because of work wearing me out.

I usually weigh about 160 to 165 pounds, sometimes right under 160. Sex machine, ladies. laugh Not to toot my horn but I do have a nice beach body as they call it. Ectomorph.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
What are you guys doing for workout routines?

Has covid changed it at all? (going to gym, or home workout)

I'm into yoga.

A few years ago I was going to a yoga studio, then injured my back.

So recently picked it back up again. But, now I found an awesome app that can completely customize my workout tailored to my needs/interests.

So I'm doing yoga at home instead of studio. Going very well so far.

What's your workout routine?

I like yogurt too but I just eat mine with a spoon.

jk. Seriously though, I notice that you seem to always think about getting into shape a month or so before Halloween... Hmmm?

[AD*]
Don't miss the launch of the Husky-PC421, the new post covid industrial strength long bristled sweeping transport made for the post covid magic seeker. Only $4499.00 on holiday discount!

https://www.hoponit.com/heavy-lifter-husky-PC421
[/AD*]

grin jk Eve. wink thumbsup

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 09/15/21 05:02 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
E
EveDawg Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Funny man lol

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
I'm embarrassed to tell mine LOL

For years I worked out 2 hours a day six days a week. Got up at 4 AM and lifted for 2 hours for my upper body 3 days a week. The other 3 days I worked out my lower body, and walked 5 miles a day. Part of my workouts included three sets of 25 at 225 pounds in the bench press.

Since all my health problems I didn't work out at all for almost 5 years, and still can't do much. I walk 1 mile once a week on the treadmill at a slow pace. my neuropathy keeps me for doing to much walking. Due to my heart problems I was not allowed to lift more than 30 pounds, or get my heart rate over 130 so when I started lifting again I had to start doing 100 reps with no weights. Then moved up to 2 pound dumbbells, 3 pound, 5 pounds, 10, 15, and now 20 which I'm up to 51 reps now. Takes me about 1 1/2 hours as I have to take my time and make sure I don't have to strain to much, or get my heart rate to high. I am lifting 2 or 3 days a week.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Ain't nothing embarrassing about that, my friend.

You're crushing it.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Home Workouts

Every night I do 12oz curls, followed by 8oz and 4 oz, I repeat this process all night or until I fall down.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
T
Legend
Legend
T
I used to like curls. Some years closer to younger I tried to prove I was still able, as workouts are often spontaneous. Aim was to do 300 reps in an hour, as many breaks as you want. I got to 170 reps. ( I stopped because my elbow was swollen, but no pain) But> My forearms and elbows on at least one side swelled and got like a liquid filled balloon, like watery elbow, for over a week, no pain though. Online DR. recommended some treatment I didn't treat it, but, just a possible side effect of overdoing it. (Sort of returned to normal eventually on it's own.)

Legend
Legend
diet is at least 80% of being healthy.

Yes, I'm a Crossfit junky and I totally drank the Kool-Aid with it, but there are some things that Greg Glassman, the founder/creator, says that I cannot argue with at all. One is how to eat and the other is his definitions of fitness.

On diet: "Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch, and no sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat."

On Fitness (in 100 words): "Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat.

Practice and train major lifts: Deadlift, clean, squat, presses, clean and jerk, and snatch. Similarly master the basics of gymnastics: pull-ups, dips, rope climb, push-ups, sit-ups, presses to handstand, pirouettes, flips, splits, and holds. Bike, run, swim, row etc, hard and fast.

Five or six days per week mix these elements in as many combinations and patterns as creativity will allow. Routine is the enemy. Keep workouts short and intense.

Regularly learn and play new sports."

Fitness (definition): “your work capacity across broad time and modal domains.”
This means fitness is measurable and can be calculated by plotting individual training scores (times, loads, reps/rounds) on a line graph.

It is common in Crossfit to hear/see stories of people completely reversing Type II Diabeetus simply by adopting this as a lifestyle.... afterall, Type II comes from basically eating and living wrong in the first place, so it only stands that doing it right reverses it and gets a person off the meds.

Last edited by PrplPplEater; 09/16/21 07:29 PM.

Browns is the Browns

E
EveDawg Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
jc

My biggest block to excerising has been that I dont like repetitive boring workouts. When stuff gets repetitive I stop doing it.

I do enjoy walking my dog, because neighbors come out and chit chat, and sometimes there are kids or other dogs. So I do like to walk my dog and see whats going on in my hood. Its not repetitive.

My yoga app is awesome though, because its not just following a video. It actually has a different workout each time. Obviously a lot of the same poses (You can choose an area of the body to focus on), but they throw in different poses as well. I think I will stick with it.

No Craps Given
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
That's cool. I need to keep up with yoga. I hate it and that's why I need to keep up with it. I need to work on flexibility and range of motion.

As it is right now, though, just hearing the phrase "Crescent Pose" gives me nightmares.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Weight gain has never been a problem in my case.

I pay attention to the foods I eat and the quanity. I dislike being really full. I stop eating once I am not hungry. So it ends up that I do not eat large amounts at one time.

I coached baseball for many years which really consumed time but it kept me in shape.

When I stopped coaching I started lap swimming. I will be 74 this month. I swim 900 meters three times a week. And walk in neck deep water high stepping for 20 minutes. That is a 50 minute workout.

In the last ten years I have swam over 1000 miles.

On the days I don't swim I do yoga on my own and lift a little light weights.

Swimming for me is the best. I have some osteo arthritis (wear and tear) in some joints. The swimming really helps without stressing the joints. Also, being horizontal during the workout is great for your heart. Your heart does not have to pump blood up from your legs, so you oxygenate your blood very efficiently.

I rarely miss a workout. I feel worse if I don't go. No problem in motivation. I look forward to it.

I think the swimming over that length of time has proved to be one of the best things I have done. I can still most anything. Except not as long as I once could.

O
Legend
Legend
O
One of these days, I'm going to incorporate swimming into my routine. Nothing smokes me more than swimming.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
Swimming is a great low impact workout for cardio. That's the number one exercise my cardiologist recommends. That and daily walks were the two he stressed the most. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 09/17/21 09:02 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend

Close to where I live is a large aquatic center. The local high school holds meets there.

They have what is called an instructional pool aside from the large pool.

The instructional pool has classes for disabled kids and seniors. There are a lot of things you can do in the water. You can make your own routine. They have foam dumbells that you can use. Pushing them under water etc.

I use that pool because the water is warmer. So, I see all kinds of kids and people in various stages of health.

The water helps many of them exercise that outside of water they would never be able to do.

It provides great benefit to those people and it is inspirational to see them.

I am fortunate to have good health and swimming no doubt has played a big part.

I have always loved the water. I was a lifeguard as a teen.
Got a scuba license long ago as well. I live with my two grandsons. I made sure they learned early. Both at first did not take to the water. Over time they got into it. All summer I took the youngest an eight year old. Now he is like an otter in the water. It was great taking him.

The older you get joint pain is part of the deal. Swimming has no impact on the joints except working the muscles around the joints to strenthen them. For any who are getting up there. I would highly recommend swimming or all the other exercises that can be done in water if you can't swim.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
That’s awesome Bone. Great info.

I’ve been swimming almost daily, since I’ve arrived to the big island a little over a week ago.

The condo I bought has a pool and is a block from two beaches. The plan is to swim at the pool and do morning beach runs.

My car arrived to port on Friday, so hopefully they will allow me to pick it up tomorrow. Once that happens, I’ll go over to base and see the situation with the on-post gyms.

I do like weight training and have done that and the elliptical for years. But I do like trying or doing random exercising/training.

I like seeing all the responses. And thanks PPE for the information, i knew quite a bit of it. But it is also great to hear it from someone else to reinforce (and remind me) the point.

I’ve been thinking about this quote every day since I read it a couple days ago:
“ Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat.”

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Swimming is a great low impact workout for cardio. That's the number one exercise my cardiologist recommends. That and daily walks were the two he stressed the most. Just my 2 cents.

There is "post-workout hunger", and then there is "post-swim hunger" where you are eating 2nd Breakfast, Elevenses, protein shakes, etc... before going for Lunch. Swim workouts have always had me eating like a Hobbit.

Originally Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask
That’s awesome Bone. Great info.

I’ve been swimming almost daily, since I’ve arrived to the big island a little over a week ago.

Oh, you are in Triathlon Mecca. Get yourself a cheap road bike and find a triathlon club nearby... I *guarantee* there is one there, and likely on base. Heck, you can probably find someone that is rotating out selling a bike cheap. If not, head to the PX/Exchange and use a little of that COLA to get you one. Nothing fancy needed, just a road bike. Then, Swim, Bike, & Run all week, every week... and make sure you get over to Kona during the World Championships!

Originally Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask

I’ve been thinking about this quote every day since I read it a couple days ago:
“ Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat.”

It's been about a decade, now, since I went through my big weight-loss makeover, but the single biggest thing for me with that was retraining my stomach and brain to only eat until I wasn't hungry, and not until I was stuffed. It turns out, that this is usually just about what is needed to support exercise, but not body fat. "Eating Right" is both what you eat and the amount, but it isn't really any more complicated than just that. You can absolutely make it more complicated and hyper-tune your diet to get cut/ripped, and I know plenty of folks that weight their food at every meal to ensure they are controlling, to the ounce/gram, everything they intake, but you don't HAVE to take it to that level. It's just as easy as "don't eat until you're stuffed."

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
jc

My biggest block to excerising has been that I dont like repetitive boring workouts. When stuff gets repetitive I stop doing it.

I do enjoy walking my dog, because neighbors come out and chit chat, and sometimes there are kids or other dogs. So I do like to walk my dog and see whats going on in my hood. Its not repetitive.

My yoga app is awesome though, because its not just following a video. It actually has a different workout each time. Obviously a lot of the same poses (You can choose an area of the body to focus on), but they throw in different poses as well. I think I will stick with it.

I used to go to the gym, I hated working out at home, there were just too many distractions and reasons to not do it or to quit early. If I got in the routine of getting in the car and go to the gym then I would get in a good workout.

Well into covid I hadn't worked out in a while, was still losing some weight because of diet changes but wasn't working out. I decided to start at home, carved out a corner of the basement to do it. I downloaded (and paid for) the Beachbody app. It's like $100/year and it has hundreds of different workout routines in it from heavy cardio to yoga to weight training for all different levels. None of them require a lot of specialized equipment, maybe a yoga mat or some small dumbbells or elastic bands..

A lot of the routines are "21 day this" or "40 day that".. so you hit it hard for 3 or 4 weeks, then move on to something else. And they have all different instructors so it's not the same voice chirping in your ear for months at a time. And if you start one and don't like it... switch.

It has kept me interested and I'm still at it...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
J/c

I agree about swimming and eating … I run religiously every day. If I swim it seems like I have to eat DOUBLE and am never full

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I guess it makes sense now that Michael Phelps eats 12,000 calories/day (or at least used to).

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I use to drink that many calories a day, but I ran them all off running to the bathroom to pee every ten minutes grin

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Great points. I actually have been looking for a bike, just locally though. I picked up my car today, so I’ll start looking more throughly and getting a better read of the area.

I didn’t think about searching for a club. Thats a great idea!

Great info PPE, I see Kona is in Feb. it’s on my list of things to see.

Great points and fully agree with you. Obviously discipline is the key. To me that is the exciting part - re-training your brain. One good way to accomplish that from my experience is through self-meditation / self-hypnosis. That might sound crazy to some, but honestly it’s a powerful tool.

Last edited by ScottPlayersFacemask; 09/20/21 10:24 PM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
I guess it makes sense now that Michael Phelps eats 12,000 calories/day (or at least used to).

Probably because he smoked the ganja too. #Munchies

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
brownie

Legend
Legend

I tried a gym membership once and really did not like it.

IMO if you get to a point in an exercise program where you become unmotivated mostly likely at some point you will stop.

You have to find what works for you. Something that you want to do. Something that you incorporate into your lifestyle. It becomes habit like brushing your teeth.

Some people love yoga. Others may go for tai chi. I did both at some point and still do some yoga.

I loved tai chi. I think it is amazing. Things changed and I got out of it. However, I still believe in it.

Because of aging running or ever walking long distances. I can't do it. I have bone spurs in one ankle and arthritis in my feet that after going on any longer hikes afterwards it hurts.

Swimming fulfills all I need in exercise. It has become a body maintenance thing.

But as long as you do something and stick to it. It has to help.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Workout Routines

Link Copied to Clipboard