Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1878511 08/27/21 07:58 AM
Legend
OP Online
Legend

Yesterday I listened to the pressers of Woods, AVP, and Mike Priefer.

What struck me was when asked questions all of their responses were just like what you have grown to expect Kevin to say.

All of them are in lock step.

Super impressive guys who could all be head coaches.

Callahan, Stump Mitchell, and Chad O'Shea are always recognised from players and other coaches as being top coaches of their position groups.

The entire staff has returned. That goes a long way when the coaches are that good.

Kevin many times refers to collabrative staff. That is clearly the case. Priefer took over the HC when Kevin had covid. Callahan has been a head coach. AVP will most likely at some get his chance.

Training camp has been all business no drama.

I have no doubt that the Browns will be ready for Kansas City.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Just want to echo 1 thing you said... for all the 'drama' (Takk, injuries, Parkey's first day, JOK's brief fling with 'rona and now the lifting accident, OBJ still not 100% into taking full reps) there really hasn't been much actual drama. They've kept it locked down.

I know the general mood here in the message board isn't the greatest indicator, but half that stuff in a previous year would've sent this place into a tailspin. We've definitely got a strong hand on the rudder these days.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Look no further than our playoff win in Pittsburgh. I’m super impressed with the preparation and cohesion of the staff/players. It’s like a 180 from what we’ve seen since 1999

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think you made a gross overstatement. There have been some great coordinators and position coaches that never managed to do well as a HC. Often times those talents do not transfer well at the next level. There's a world of difference there. At the HC level you must be able to find and hire a great supporting staff. You must be able to have the ability to allocate authority to others. There's a host of skills a HC must possess that a coordinator and position coaches do not require.

We have all seen it first hand far too often for Browns fans to believe that a coach at one level can make a great HC. They are not "guys who could all be head coaches".

If that were so we wouldn't see the constant turnover at the HC position in the NFL. Because many such coaches have the track record to give the appearance of being ready yet when given the opportunity clearly aren't. Our coaching staff is no different.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Online
Legend

IMO Woods and AVP may well get a chance.

Callahan has been a head coach.

Priefer has a game under his belt.

Does that mean all will be head coaches> No

If they do get a chance how will they do? Unknown.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Callahan "has been" a HC but that should speak volumes in itself.

And you are correct that there are others on our coaching staff who may get a chance to be an NFL HC.

I guess the "unknown factor" is the part I was stressing. I mean we've seen a lot of coordinators get their chance here. The odds here and as a whole don't work out very well.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C

Staley saying things that Stefanski knows but won’t say out loud.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Just want to echo 1 thing you said... for all the 'drama' (Takk, injuries, Parkey's first day, JOK's brief fling with 'rona and now the lifting accident, OBJ still not 100% into taking full reps) there really hasn't been much actual drama. They've kept it locked down.

I know the general mood here in the message board isn't the greatest indicator, but half that stuff in a previous year would've sent this place into a tailspin. We've definitely got a strong hand on the rudder these days.

This is what has been going on all the time, while CLE was floundering around. Stable, quality teams have their share of misfortune too. Difference: they handle their business like professionals, and problem-solve as they go.

There was so much rampant and constant dysfunction at 76 Groza, I thought they should test the water. You know your team is bad when there is more drama in the locker room and front office than there is on the field. It was like watching one of my wife's soap operas with some bad football thrown in as an afterthought.

Man, what a difference.

These folks took themselves two games into the NFL playoffs... with a new staff and no training camp. Covid. Virtual practices. They earned that playoff presence by handling business. No egos, just effort. And focus.

And lo, and behold- it showed up on the field.

Funny how that ish works, isn't it?

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I look for that to continue well into the future as well Clem we have finally become what we have been clamoring for (stable).

All that was truly required was steady people who don't overreact and to follow the plan they had mapped out long before the 1st hut hut.

Everything is done with thought and constant evaluation where ego is replaced with what is truly best.

I think fans are overreacting to the poor play of the defense particularly after last weekends poor showing against a not so good Houston team.

What do you want to bet that if the Bears follow the same script that Houston followed the results will be vastly different.

Houston had the element of surprise on their side the Bears won't be afforded the same luxury.

I confess I didn't know what Houston was doing last week but having watched a few people who are far smarter with X's and O's then me lay out what they did and after listening to Garret say they weren't ready for what Houston was doing I expect we have designed a response if the Bears who are bound to try it give it a go.

What Houston did was very unconventional and very sensible at the same time. Trust me folks our D Line is going to become very very productive in a very unconventional sort of way.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
B
Legend
Legend
B
No team is exempt from from having issues. A team, counting active players, practice squad players, coaches and direct team staff is probably around 100 people.

Somewhere in there you are bound to have a few eggheads.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The Coaching Staff

Link Copied to Clipboard