Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
j/c

this appears to be a draft qb thread so i'm going to post this bit from colt mccoy here. the more i read, the more it seems like MH really likes colt so i'm starting to sip the kool aid.

Quote:

McCoy's pick would be Browns
by Marla Ridenour on April 19, 2010

in Uncategorized

If he had a choice on which team will draft him, Texas quarterback Colt McCoy would pick the Browns, McCoy said Monday in a radio interview with 790 The Zone in Atlanta.

"Once I get done with these trips, I have really enjoyed and I absolutely enjoyed Coach Holmgren," McCoy said of Browns president Mike Holmgren. "He is a class act and I could definitely see myself playing in their organization. I think that it would be a tremendous opportunity and they have a lot of good things going for them and Coach (Eric) Mangini and their staff has been awesome.

"So you never know. You never know. I know that God is going to put me in the right place and we’ll go to work from there. Nothing is going to given to you. It never has been my whole life and I’m going to have to earn something. I am looking forward to the challenges that lie ahead."

Of the top quarterbacks in the draft, the Browns hosted McCoy, Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen, Florida's Tim Tebow and Cincinnati's Tony Pike. McCoy is projected by most as a second-round pick.

Asked by the radio station whom he would compare himself to in the NFL, McCoy said, "It is funny. I just left the Browns and Coach Holmgren kind of compared me to Steve Young and Joe Montana and just said that I have the intangibles that I have at this point in their career when they were coming out of college. He expects me to be just like they were.

"I think that is a good comparison and obviously people would compare me to Drew Brees a little bit because of our height. I was about 6-1 1/2, so you never know. I know how hard I prepare and nobody is going to work harder than me or be more prepared going into a game than I am. I expect to do exactly what I did in college and that is come in there and win games.

"I know that it is going to be different. I know that it is going to be a transition, but I am going to work my tail off and earn the respect of my teammates and coaches and go to work."

http://www.ohiomm.com/blogs/browns/2010/...OBR+Newswire%29

All Pro
All Pro
Noodle arm. I'd way rather have one of the later round guys and pick up BPA in the 2nd, weather it's a DB, WR, DL or whatever.

I really can't see trading back up into the 1st for him. Dude is definitely a class act, I'd give him that, but this team needs a guy that can make all the throws.

A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.

John Barrymore
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
MH put his arm strength somewhere between montana and some strong armed qb (favre?) in one of his pressers.

all i know is, listening to MH talk about the guy, and how he apparently sincerely gushed about him in general, it sounds like this guy could be good in the right system.

<edit>

here's the excerpt

Quote:

The Browns have spent as much time with McCoy as any team. They attended his Pro Day in Austin, Texas and hosted him at their facility last week.

"He's a very impressive young man," said Browns President Mike Holmgren. "He clearly cares, and he's very productive."

At 6-1 1/2, McCoy's height doesn't scare Holmgren, who coached Joe Montana and Steve Young, both listed at 6-2.

"He told me he's put two quarterbacks in the Hall of Fame who were both shorter than me," said McCoy.

Holmgren also thinks McCoy's arm strength is sufficient.

"I've had the privilege of coaching a guy who threw it as hard as anybody in Brett [Favre] and the guy that everybody said didn't have the rocket arm but may have been the best quarterback who ever lived in Joe Montana," Holmgren said. "Colt falls somewhere in the middle, but he's really an impressive young guy."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/04/cleveland_browns_prospect_colt.html

Last edited by dong; 04/19/10 05:14 PM.
All Pro
All Pro
Yea, if he was a little bigger, played in a nonn-gimmicky offense, and had a stronger, non-injured throwing arm/shoulder I would be more into him.

Of course you are right, Holmgren says a lot of gushy stuff about him so definitely he could be his guy. My opinion probably isn't being considered as strongly, heh.

John Barrymore
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
i share/shared (i'm not fully converted yet) your opinion and i know you'd find many supporters of your opinion too. that said, if mh is genuinely this high on the guy, sign me up. i want no business with clasuen and the next tier qbs so colt could be a great pick without the risk of a top 10 investment.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Yea, if he was a little bigger, played in a nonn-gimmicky offense, and had a stronger, non-injured throwing arm/shoulder I would be more into him.

He had nothing more than a pinched nerve. Not shoulder damage! Or were you refering to Bradford with that one?

His first two years in Texas he played under center. Everyone I respect on the matter ( accept you of course ) seem to feel he'll be fine in the WCO.

So you can talk out the side of your mouth all you want but I usually do let facts get in the way when I hear such drivel.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

His first two years in Texas he played under center.

My understanding was that earlier on he took some snaps under center (say 30%). The vast majority of his snaps have been taken in the shotgun. He's going to have an adjustment.

Concerns about his arm strength are legit, he's smallish and threw a TON of short passes in that offense, which brings his % up.

His hands are bigger than Clausen's and Bradford's, which is good. He looks pretty accurate in games and seems to be a good guy. I don't think he has an NFL arm.

It's been a pleasure, as always, to amuse you Pit.

John Barrymore
P
Legend
Legend
P
Oh no, no, no......

The pleasure is all mine!

He's about an inch and a half shorter than Claussen and close to the same weight as Claussen. So that makes him small and Claussen okay?

The problem is, the only QB in this draft that has played anything that resembles a pro-style O is Bradford.

And it happens all the time. Reason being? Hardly ANY schools run anything that resembles a pro style O.

I've seen a lot on McCoy. Good and bad. I haven't seen anybody question his ability to make the throws he needs to make in the NFL.

So had you said something like he doesn't have the strongest arm in this QB class, I would agree with you. But the whole "noodle arm" comment is laughable at best.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

The problem is, the only QB in this draft that has played anything that resembles a pro-style O is Bradford.

1. I think you mean Clausen.

2. There are other QB's in the draft who played in pro style offenses, they just aren't elite prospects (Crompton and Canfield come to mind).

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The pro style offense is probably the most overrated trait in a QB ever.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

1. I think you mean Clausen.

2. There are other QB's in the draft who played in pro style offenses, they just aren't elite prospects (Crompton and Canfield come to mind).

Yes Claussen is what I meant. and you are right about other QB's. Point being, most big schools who recruit the top athletes don't play in the pro-style O.

As was mentioned it's a very overrated thing. If you put that too high on your priority list you'll end up drafting much worse QB's and be leaving much better QB's on the draft board IMO

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro
I think he is going to be a bit of a project for a year or two, as most guys are, and for that I like the idea of spending a 3rd a lot better. Don't see him as significantly better than Pike, for instance, who Holmgren has been looking at as well.

The guy I like the best of the developmental type QBs is Brown. Give me upside.

John Barrymore
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

The guy I like the best of the developmental type QBs is Brown. Give me upside.

Which is exactly why I promote McCoy. I think there's a HUGE drop off after McCoy, so do most others.

He's very good already but knows he can get better. He's a hard worker who can lead as well. It's a proven commodity who has played pretty consistantly against top notched talent. Those behind McCoy don't have nearly the pedigree in that department IMO.

He will be game ready in his second season. I mean do we really want a lower valued QB than McCoy? I don't.

Say what you will, but he has lead his team to some great victories. He was coached and played well within the system given to him to play in.

I don't care how you slice it, averaging over 70% in four seasons starting is almost a miracle no matter what system you're playing in.

At this juncture we'll just have to see how it all plays out. But I do however take MH as somebody who plans long term in building a franchise. I don't think him only signing JD to a two year contract was an accident.

I feel he does have plans to try to draft a kid who will be ready to start by 2011. I don't see anyone below McCoy having such an ability. If so, the odds go down drasticly IMO.

That leaves JD as a one year band-aid and to be here for McCoy's first starting season.

I don't feel you can have much security in the feeling those below McCoy in this draft have such a capability. We'll know soon enough! Well, not soon enough, but soon!

#gmstrong
R
All Pro
All Pro
R
Figured this was a good spot for this........

Quote:

Talk increases that Rams would trade down on the cheap
Posted by Mike Florio on April 20, 2010 6:53 AM ET
The draft is two days away, and there's growing talk in league circles that the Rams would be willing to trade out of the No. 1 overall selection for a package far less than the outdated draft trade chart would require.

The thinking is that, if the Rams stay put, they'd feel compelled to take quarterback Sam Bradford with the No. 1 overall pick. But there's a concern that Bradford, who hasn't played much football since 2008, will end up on the bench for most if not all of 2010, while A.J. Feeley or Keith Null or someone else takes the snaps. (Then there's the whole "exploding shoulder" thing and the whole "spread offense" thing, which Bradford tried unconvincingly to explain away during a Monday interview on Jim Rome Is Burning.)

Some believe that the Rams, who have won six games in three years, would prefer to pick a player who can step right in and play -- and if they can acquire more picks or, perhaps even better, extra players who can immediately contribute, it would be a bonus.

Then there's the value that comes from stepping away from having to fork over the record contract that the first overall pick will receive, especially if it's a quarterback.

So who would trade up? The primary candidates are the Redskins (No. 4), the Browns (No. 7), and possibly the Seahawks (No. 6).

And for those of you who think that the Redskins wouldn't pick a quarterback in round one, the one quarterback they'd potentially pick is Bradford, whom offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan would begin to develop behind the scenes, potentially with the idea of coach Mike Shanahan engineering a torch-passing to Kyle after two or three seasons with Donovan McNabb at the helm.

For the Rams, the biggest question is whether they'd be willing to take the heat for taking a package that would pale in comparison to the deals done in past years at the top of round one. Given that the Rams have suffered through far greater indignities of late relating to and arising from on-field performance (or lack thereof), they should be thrilled to be criticized for making a move that potentially will improve their current circumstances significantly.

Permalink 0 Comments Latest stories in: Cleveland Browns, Latest News and Rumors, NFL Mobile Exclusives - Rumors, Seattle Seahawks, St. Louis Rams, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
Previous: Intervention program sends Aqib Talib to anger management

"He who buys what he does not need steals from himself."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
IF we like Bradford THAT much...We need to offer 2 players who WILL contribute immediately...

Shaun Rogers
DQwell Jackson

AND

Our 7 pick...

AND

Our 2011 #1...Just can't see this without the 2011 1st Rounder included...

AND

Throw in a 3 we have this year and possibly a 5th this year...

And Holmgren has his Man Crush...

Go Browns!!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm OK w staying at 7. If the word is that the Rams are thinking of letting it go cheap, then I offer the #7, Rogers and Jackson. That nets them 3 guys who can contribute right away (depending on what they do with that pick). If they take it, great, MH gets his QB. If not, then we stay at 7 and get Berry/Haden or whoever. Maybe we toss in a late pick this year, but that's it.

It's cheap compared to deals past, very cheap, but they may want to move down more than we want to move up.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
I'm definately not in favor for moving up but if we can do it on the cheap I'm OK with it.

Move up to #1 and grab Suh.

Dawg in Dayton #474186 04/20/10 10:01 AM
Legend
Legend

A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Quote:

Quote:

IF we like Bradford THAT much...We need to offer 2 players who WILL contribute immediately...

Shaun Rogers
DQwell Jackson

AND

Our 7 pick...

AND

Our 2011 #1...Just can't see this without the 2011 1st Rounder included...

AND

Throw in a 3 we have this year and possibly a 5th this year...

And Holmgren has his Man Crush...

I don't think DQ would have a lot of trade weight with the Rams... they drafted a pretty good MLB in the 2nd last year.

I bet Shaun, #7, and our highest 3rd could get it done. I'm not saying I want to do it... but I think it'd be enough.

Compare that blockbuster giveaway to the Nags the Jets gave us to move from 16 down to #5. What a Blockbuster trade that was for the Browns. Thank God mangini and Kokinis are done and we have a real GM and team pres.
As far as the topic, why mortgage the farm when the NFL will have a rookie cap and the god awful contracts will be a thing of the past. the NFL vets want this, only the greedy lawyer agents do not.

N
Legend
Legend
N
the NFL vets only want the harder rookie cap if they guarantee that $$$ goes to veterans.

easier for younger players to test FA (unlike this past offseason with RFA ruling the day), salary floor in addition to the salary cap, and higher overall minimum wages across the board.

the problem is the owners want the harder rookie cap without giving the concessions above. the vet's don't just want to give up that $$ without getting something in return.

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro
They could put that money into a fund that takes care of retired players. Or most of it, and let the owners recoup a bit.

John Barrymore
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have seen the idea bandied about several different threads about the trading of DQwell. Someone please correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is that we cannot trade Jackson because he is not signed. We gave him a second round tender but he has not signed it so cannot be traded. Additionally I believe that since he did not sign by April 15 that he is not allowed to sign until sometime in June. So we can't even go to him and say hey, if you sign your tender we will trade you to ...

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I assume it would be similar to the Brandon Marshall situation. The Rams would work out the basics of a new deal, he would sign the tender and then they would work out the details of a long term deal after a trade.

My feeling on Bradford has always been that if you think he's the guy, you go get him. Given the circumstances for both teams, it looks as though if the Browns offer the Rams a reasonable trade, that they would probably pull the trigger.

The situation is unique in that St. Louis isn't in a position of power, they can't be incredibly picky if they don't want to stay where they are. The Browns' offer is surely going to be the best one on the table, even if it is less than you might expect. The FO should put a borderline package together ane see if they decide to take it. If they balk, move on. McCoy isn't a bad plan B.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I assume it would be similar to the Brandon Marshall situation. The Rams would work out the basics of a new deal, he would sign the tender and then they would work out the details of a long term deal after a trade.

That would be true if it was before April 15 but I don't think he is allowed to sign his tender until sometime in June.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I haven't really said anything to this point, just watching all of the big talk about trading away DQ.

But yes, if he doesn't have a tender signed, we can't trade him in the draft. ALL of the talk about Rogers who will be facing some type of league action. Don't people realise you won't get sqwat for him with a possible suspension looming?

And DQ hasn't signed his tender and unless and until he does, he's in "limbo land".

But it has been amusing watching it all be bantered about!

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Andrew Luck will be draft eligible next year, and I like him almost as much as Mallet.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Should it be Bradford/Clausen or bust for the Browns?

Link Copied to Clipboard