Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#476144 03/18/10 05:27 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I'm beginning to think that the Browns will draft a defensive secondary player or a QB in the 1st round. I have stressed that we will need a rookie to come in and play RG or RT (preferably RT).

Does anyone have any thoughts on guys who can play on the right side of our line, starting day 1 this season?

One guy I have in mind might be Vladmir Ducase? out of BC. He might be available at our 2nd round spot. He's a very big guy and he's athletic, with big upside. If he could come in and play RG this year, then move out to RT next year, it would be great.

Does anyone else have any idea of other RT's who will be going between rounds 2 and 3? How about that guy Iupati, is he a first rounder for sure or might he fall? May be Bruce Campbell might be an option, but I've heard he's had commitment issues to football. Who can we get that can start for us next year between rounds 2 and 3 folks?

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
I think Bruce Campbell will probably go in the first... higher that most people expect (top 20) due to his Clady-like athleticism.

Iupati will probably also go but there's a chance he sneaks into the top of the 2nd. Don't think he makes it to our pick though.

Ducasse I think will probably be available, and I would be OK with the choice if Graham, Wilson, and the above guys are gone.

A guy I'd really like us to pick up with one of our thirds is Big John Jerry. Can you imagine people trying to see The Ghost behind this physical domiator at RG? He may not be an ideal fit for WCO (kind of the opposite kind of guard as steiny) but he's a good player.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I'd draft that OT from Indiana in the 2nd. I think is last name is Saffold or Scaffold or something like that.

Legend
Legend
How about the GIANT monster Jared Veldheer from Hillsdale

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The guys I like in round 3 are:

Cirion Black LSU. Played LT at LSU but projects to RT in the NFL. Reminds me a lot of Phil Loadholt.

Kyle Calloway - Iowa. Strong physical guy. Can really push the pile.

Not as high on Ducasse as others. I would rather have one of Black, Calloway, Jerry or Veldheer in the 3rd than spend a 2nd on Ducasse. Now if he is available in the 3rd I would consider him. A lot of people project him to tackle but I just don't see it. To me he is going to be an NFL OG. I think his athleticism is overrated.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
Legend
Legend
I'm digging Adam Ulatoski out of Texas in about the 5th/6th round.. Groom his for a year behind Pashos at RT, and if he does well start him.. if not.. we draft a solid right tackle next year, and keep Ulatoski for depth. We draft other positions for depth, QB, RB, LB, CB, but never oline..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
IMO a lot depends on what happens in the remaining 5 weeks of free agency before the draft.
If, for example, a Rob Sims or Shawn Andrews is inked to a deal then a developmental interior lineman ( or two) in one of the middle rounds would be a good choice.

If that were not to happen, then a higher round pick at either guard or tackle would be more appropriate. If a tackle, then Pashos could slide over to guard. If a guard, then Pashos would be the RT.

At this moment pencil in St. Clair as a back-up tackle.
Womack can play guard or tackle and at this moment pencil him in as the starting RG.

BTW...... Sims was tendered as a 4th rounder. If this guy is healthy, I see great value.

Last edited by Line Judge; 03/19/10 02:30 AM.
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Later round pick...Mitch Petrus, guard from Arkansas. He'd be a BEAST at RG.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't know how I missed this thread. Just wanted to add on here. Rodger Saffold is the guy you were thinking of. He played OT at Indiana, but could easily be a guard in the NFL. I'm a big fan.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I know for a fact the Browns were interested in Zane Beadles Utah 6-4, 310 ...

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I am sure he is on Tom Heckert's radar, as he is a Hillsdale grad as well.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
T
Legend
Legend
T
Offensive line may not be a priorty this year, but if the right player is there I can see one getting taken.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
It better be at least somewhat of a priority.... Stein is starting to fade and Womack is a band aid at RG.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

I know for a fact the Browns were interested in Zane Beadles Utah 6-4, 310 ...

I, for one, think he'd be the perfect pick up.

you had a good run Hank.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Drafting a O-linemen in rounds 1-3 is always a good thing, you never have enough of the big guys,

I perfer rounds 1 or 2nd but depending on team needs you dont alaways have the luxury of doing that, like us this year, so 3rd wouldnt hurt, mainly with the number of 3rd round picks we got. Depht on the line is always a must , a good line gives the offence so many options during a long season a good pick is worth it's weight in value.

S
2nd String
2nd String
S
I doubt Iupati falls to the second round. I wouldn't mind seeing us trade back up into the first round to select him. I have a feeling we will be drafting two offensive lineman in rounds 1-4.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Offensive line may not be a priorty this year, but if the right player is there I can see one getting taken.

MH already stated that DB and OL was a priority.

1st String
1st String
I have Mike Johnson, OG, Alabama going to the Browns in the third round in my latest mock. You can never have enough linemen. I also have the Browns selecting Zane Beadles, OG, Utah and Tony Washington, OT, Abilene Christian in the 5th.

[color:"red"]"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
---Leonardo daVinci
T
Legend
Legend
T
I don't see why they would draft more than 1 offensive lineman in the entire draft.
They have as much need at wide receiver, runningback, defensive line, safety, cornerback, quarterback, wide receiver again, pass rusher, and wide receiver again. One offensive lineman would go somewhere in that list.

I know I said wr 3 times, and that is because other than Massaquoi, there is no receiver I have respect for if I were a fan of the Browns opponent. Who really played like they belong in the nfl? Robo, Stucki, Furrey, Jake Allen, ?, ?.
I have to say, are Womack, and St Clair, and Steinbeck, worse at their positions than the receivers, maybe but you can work around them. That they can only take 8 o-linemen into the 53 man roster is the expectation, based on past years. If it comes down to WR, or OL, who is going to step up at WR,? Am I counting on Syndric to come back?

Otherwise, can I count on a late round OL, to overtake one of the top 6 linemen on the team. Am I accounting for injuries? NO! but am I willing to draft for expecting injuries?
The bottom line is who would I expect to make the team, the wide receiver or the offensive lineman?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Right now I see the OL like this:

LT: Thomas, Capizzi
RG: Steinbach, Yates, Kooistra
C: Mack
LG: Womack, Murray
RT: Pashos, St. Clair

Normaly the team carries 9 or 10 linemen. As of now no one is penciled-in as the back-up center, for good reason.

I'm not a big fan of Steinbach. IMO, both he and Womack could be replaced. Upgrades at those positions and an up-an coming RT would be nice.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I somewhat agree, but I see us grabbing a guard in the 3rd round and possibly a guard/center in the later rounds like the 5th or 6th.

To me everything starts at the O-line, a team can have a great RB but if no line, he gains no yards, average RB look like all pro's behind good lines, If your QB is on his back or always running for his life, dosent matter if Jerry Rice is your WR, he ant gonna have many chances, sure you can have a great line & QB but if your recievers dont catch the ball same result, but to me it's easier to find a WR with hands than a good run & pass blocker, my opinon is and always has been if my line knocks your guys on thier butts, I can have my gramma run the ball, you ant touching her on your back,...you get the idea. LOL...but just my opinon, Give me o-line any draft...

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
I'm with him^.

I jokingly tell people I'd go DB in the first and OL for the next 2 rounds.

It ALL starts and ends with the OL.

1st String
1st String
This is the PERFECT draft for the Browns to be stockpiling young offensive linemen. I certainly agree that the Browns have other needs. But with 12 selections, and not too many aspirations for the Super Bowl this season, it's time to build up the infrastructure of the team...the OL. Even if they choose three OLmen, as I suggest, that leaves them 9 more draft picks to address other areas.

Of course, all that we do here is just for fun. The real stuff will be decided by professionals. Let's all hope they hit more than several grand slam and three run homers on draft weekend...whatever positions they target.

[color:"red"]"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
---Leonardo daVinci
C
Legend
Legend
C
If you look at Holmankert's draft history they (it?) like to draft linemen on both sides of the ball.

Legend
Legend
I believe it's spelled ManHolmKert. Is that correct?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
correct spelling

Hamsammich

C
Legend
Legend
C
I usually go Manholmkert but I didn't know if that was the correct spelling. Heckmangren? Manholmkert? Holmheckman? All a acceptable to me. Anything is better than ManKok.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Once you get within the 3-week window leading up to the draft, teams start getting more serious about their intentions and the smoke-screens aren't quite as effective.

With that in mind, I'm beginning to really think that the 2nd and 3rd rounders are worth hard looks right now, because with the way the top-6 picks could play out, there would be several players that the Browns could draft, which also represent severe needs.

I really want us to get Bradford, but it's highly unlikely. With him out of the way, there are enough teams desperate for a LT where Okung will probably be gone as well. We all know the two DT's (McCoy and Suh) will be long gone. It's at worst an even bet that the Chiefs would reach for a guy like Bulaga or Davis. I'm not buying the Bruce Campbell talk.

This leaves enough top-level players where we could drop down and still land a top-tiered prospect who, luckily for us, also represents a position of desperate need. The list of possible guys sitting there when we pick could very easily be:

Clausen
Haden
Berry
McClain
One of those offensive tackles
or even a guy like Pierre-Paul or Derek Morgan.

We could drop down into the middle of the 1st round and land a guy like Graham, Bryant, Iupati, Pouncy, or even a Kindle.

When we consider how we're stock-piling draft picks, I think a strong case can be made for the Browns to be strongly looking to drop back. Of course it's always based on whether or not the price is right to move, but I think we're prime candidates for that. Because of this, taking a long, hard look at the 2nd and 3rd rounders is smart Draftniking (yeah, it's not a word. Sit on it, Potsy!).

And that's why we're looking so hard at these 2nd and 3rd tier QB's..........

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) 2nd/3rd round O-Linemen

Link Copied to Clipboard