Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
we have a thread going on about Pouncey, but thought we really should have one dedicated to our division rivals. We can keep all rounds in this thread as well to keep it easier.

ref's if you prefer to move it, then that is fine.

Pitt - Pouncey, OC/OG Florida - very technical and very good OC from Florida. OC is obviously a need position in the AFC North with Rogers, Ngata, Peko and Hampton (obviously, he won't play against him)

Who they passed on?
CBs: Kareem Jackson / Kyle Wilson / McCourty
WRs: Dez Bryant and Demaryous Thomas
OT: Bryan Bulaga
NT: Dan Williams

Verdict: They needed interior OL the most on this team and they got the most versatile one in the draft. Good pick for them.

Cinci - Jermaine Gresham, TE, OU - best TE in this class by far and a good short receiving option for Carson Palmer, which he lacked last year.

Who they passed on?
WRs: Demaryious Thomas, Dez Bryant
OL: Bryan Bulaga
DT: Dan Williams

Verdict: I would have gone Dan Williams even though I’m not as high on him as others. Tank Johnson is penciled in as starting DT opposite Peko and he is unreliable at best. That said, Palmer does need a short target and Gresham should provide it. This move doesn’t make them much better though, so that makes me happy.

Baltimore Ravens: traded out of 1st round. The Broncos gave up choices in the second (No. 43), third (No. 70) and fourth (No. 114)

Who they passed on?
CBs: Kyle Wilson, McCourty
OLB: Jerry Hughes, Sergio Kindle
DL: Dan Williams, Jared Odrick

Verdict: I’m a bit surprised. I thought they would pick a pass-rusher in this spot, or at least go with one of the CBs. Perhaps they were set on Dez and when the ‘Boys jumped them, they put the pick on the table. The main problem for them is that even though they got 3 choices, they needed a guy to help put them over the hump to become a superbowl contender, unlike us who are building depth. Interesting choice and it may work out for them. We’ll see who drops to their spots.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
The Ravens are about to load up.. I think they are the best team in this division.. They are lethal.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Pitt - Pouncey, OC/OG Florida

I thought that was a good pick. In my opinion Pitt needed to go either OL or DL and they got the best interior OLmen after Iupati.

Grade: A-

Cinci - Jermaine Gresham, TE, OU

I think Cincy reached for need here, while Gresham is probably the best TE in this draft he's a good receiver, not as good as Winslow though and a terrible blocker.

Grade: C

Baltimore Ravens: traded out of 1st round.

I think Baltimore got taken. They dropped 18 spots and only picked up a 3rd rnd pick and swapped 4th rnd picks moving up 5 spots.

Grade: D

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
Legend
It almost seemed (seemed being the operative word) that the Ravens were really surprised the Cowboys jumped in front of them. They then unloaded their 1st round pick and picked up non-round 1 picks.

That being said, Ozzie and their FO is good enough that I think they can still do a ton of damage, even without a 1st round pick.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
The Cowboys jumping in front of the Ravens for Dez Bryant was a great moment in round one! Thank You Dallas!

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
All Pro
All Pro
The best part of any of those picks was seeing that footage of Pouncey with a 20 lb medallion around his neck, getting jumped all over by fat chicks.

A true Steeler.

A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.

John Barrymore
Legend
Legend
Wasn't Gresham out with an injury last year?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Yeah, he tore cartilage in his right knee and missed the whole season. He is now fully healed. He he also tore his right ACL in high school playing basketball.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Bengals and Steelers made very good picks. Gresham is a stud and a steal at 21, and Pouncey is also a stud.

N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
I agree though I would have gone Dan Williams still if I were the Bengals, but...

can you remove your sig-pic now or are you too attached to it?

#gmstrong
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Quote:

The best part of any of those picks was seeing that footage of Pouncey with a 20 lb medallion around his neck, getting jumped all over by fat chicks.

A true Steeler.

No offense to those big boned people out there, but if that was his girlfriend....not sure what to say...

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
B
Rookie
Rookie
B
Quote:

Quote:

A true Steeler.

No offense to those big boned people out there, but if that was his girlfriend....not sure what to say...

No way...It was his Mother. The medallion wasn't the worst part....he kissed his brother on the lips!
Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Last edited by Bones; 04/23/10 03:37 PM.
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Had my fingers crossed some one would jump the Ravens a d take Bryant. Flacco to Boldin and Bryant would have been pretty scary.

B
Rookie
Rookie
B
Quote:

I agree though I would have gone Dan Williams still if I were the Bengals, but...

can you remove your sig-pic now or are you too attached to it?

Williams is a 3-4 Nose Tackle which is why Arizona picked him. Bengals biggest weakness was having no threat down the middle in the passing game. Gresham cures this weakness.

B
Rookie
Rookie
B
Bengal fan here. I thought the Steelers, Browns and Bengals all made solid picks. Haden is a guy that will be a 10-12 year corner. I doubt he ever reaches a Revis level but the word is he compares very well to Leon Hall. As someone who watches Hall all the time, I can attest that this should excite Browns fans. Pouncey may not be a sexy pick but he will be a solid player at an area of need. I really like Gresham to the Bengals. He will give Palmer a threat that he has not had his entire career. Gresham is a tough match up because of his size and speed. As for the Ravens, thank God for Jerry Jones.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think every fan of AFC North teams, outside of the Ratbirds, laughed, cheered and danced around their living rooms when the Cowboys jobbed them of Bryant!

N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Quote:

Williams is a 3-4 Nose Tackle which is why Arizona picked him.

yes, Dan Williams now is a 3-4 NT in AZ. He would have been a pretty good run stuffing 4-3 DT if Cinci picked him. The Williams Wall is doing just find in Minny afterall.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c

Not super excited the Steelers got Dwyer.

Also, I think the Bengals had a nice draft. Shipley and Muckleroy were great additions.

------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Defensive tackle really isn't that big of a need for the Bengals, and even I, a huge Williams fan, have Gresham rated higher. They really couldn't have gone wrong either way, but I feel they made the right decision.

C
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
C
The Bengals had bigger needs than a run stopping DT....A TE to draw safties off Chad or Antonio Bryant was more imperative to the offense.
Terrance Cody might be a beast to the be reckoned with.

Raven
Raven
Quote:

I think every fan of AFC North teams, outside of the Ratbirds, laughed, cheered and danced around their living rooms when the Cowboys jobbed them of Bryant!

Although I have been away for awhile, I do stop by to see what you good folks are up too. It seems that ENTIRE AFC North did very well and if you think that the Ravens were upset with Dallas jumping in before them, think again my friend..It is believed that the Ravens had the better draft them ANYONE in the division and it will only pan out when the season starts..Like I said, the WHOLE AFN North did great, but The Ravens were already loaded with WR's especially now with the addition of defensive players to make the rest of the season interesting..By the way, Ozzie got it done again !!!!!!!

Legend
Legend
Kindle is a joke IMO but Cody at the bottom of the second was an absolute steal.

M
1st String
1st String
M
Kindle has some character and injury issues, but he will be no joke coming off the edge of that defense. He will come off the offenses right side and he will beat many a right tackle. I hope he is hurt like I have been hearing. That was an excellent pick...and plus they will be able to move Ngata to full time DE with the williams pick. Ngata and Kindle on the right side will be a nightmare.....

M
1st String
1st String
M
I hated to see the Gals snag Shipley, he is one of my favorite players and will be har dto root against him. he will be a very good pro and get a lot of looks in the slot. Muck is a special teamer and will fill in nicely at the Will spot for them, not special, but good. The TE is a weak blocker and will drop passes sometimes, but is good too. They had a real nice draft IMO.

I wander if McCoy and Shipley can rent an appartment together in Columbus.....I mean for them to be able to stay roomates would be huge! Just a little inside joke.....even us UT fans have been sick of the every game reference to them being roomates!

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I disagree with you on Shipley. He is a 6 yr guy in college, injury concerns, questionable hands, not very fast, not big, etc... I thought he was a reach in the 3rd, I bet they could have gotten him in the 5th-6th round. He doesn't scare me at all in the pros. Just a name because he played at Texas. He went to Ohio he wouldn't even be drafted.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
M
1st String
1st String
M
Quote:

I disagree with you on Shipley. He is a 6 yr guy in college, injury concerns, questionable hands , not very fast, not big, etc... I thought he was a reach in the 3rd, I bet they could have gotten him in the 5th-6th round. He doesn't scare me at all in the pros. Just a name because he played at Texas. He went to Ohio he wouldn't even be drafted.

Agree about him being older, that is a knock. He is fast enough to play in the slot and big enought too. The kicker is your assesment of his hands....They guy has never dropped a pass that I know of. Plus plus hands as they would say. If used correctly he will be a very good 3rd reciever. I do agree he was drafted too high. Should have been taken later if nothing else becuase of his history of injuries and age. But is hands are not the problem.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I'm going to have to say I agree with the above post, his hands are solid. At least from the Texas games I saw he snagged every pass that came near him. I also loved this guy too(what's not to love) about him? Some people will say he doesn't have top end speed comparable to Dez Bryant and blah, blah, blah, but I always thought this guy's strong point WAS his hands. If the guy can catch sign him up, even if they might run a 6.98 forty time(maybe).

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
M
1st String
1st String
M
Coming out of high school he was very fast, maybe the fastest player i have seen in a while. he was probably a 4.3 guy. He has had so many leg problems, I know he blew a knee out as a fresh, then had a hamstring problem as a soph. He has missed two whole years, but has been healty since. i think that is where he has lost a step.

I really think he was drafted too high, but I do not like that they got him. He is not a game changer and will be of very little help on special teams. His hands are money though, catches the ball naturally away from his body.

On a side note his little brother is going to be a sr. next year in a town 30 minutes from me and he is same player. Fast as hell, hope he can stay healthy and keep that speed. Good family, thier old man is a well respected coach in these parts.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I could have sworn I read reports saying that he had questionable hands and would drop balls because he was looking up field. However in the reports online I see the exact opposite. Also note he runs great crisp routes.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
M
1st String
1st String
M
Yeah great route runner. You are spot on about him going too high though. With is injuries and age he should have been there in the 5th. But it did seem like a weak WR class so that probably helped him. I was shocked when I heard his name.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Shipley's moves and route running were some of the best I've seen at the college level. He has exceptional ability to get open. This is why he'll thrive at the 3rd receiver spot. I was hoping the Browns would get him....ya know...someone who could get open for a change?

------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Quote:

I wander if McCoy and Shipley can rent an appartment together in Columbus.....I mean for them to be able to stay roomates would be huge! Just a little inside joke.....even us UT fans have been sick of the every game reference to them being roomates!

they really need to make the rail line faster so that can be an option for them.

though really, now, they need to take it to the next level. do they have sisters? if they both do, then they could marry each other's sisters and have that to bring up the 2 times we play each other every year.

#gmstrong
M
1st String
1st String
M
They do both have brothers, one is at UT already and the other has already committed. So after next spring we get 4 years of McCoy and Shipley being roomates agian....and hearing about how thier dads played together in college....yeah.

My buddies and I would bet on at what point the announcers would go into the roomate/dads playing together spill.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Kindle has some character and injury issues, but he will be no joke coming off the edge of that defense. He will come off the offenses right side and he will beat many a right tackle. I hope he is hurt like I have been hearing. That was an excellent pick...and plus they will be able to move Ngata to full time DE with the williams pick. Ngata and Kindle on the right side will be a nightmare.....

Plus they got Mt. Cody to clog up holes and I think Arthur Jones out of Syracuse is going to be a beast on the d-line.

I think Cincy and Baltimore seperated themselves from Pittsburgh and Cleveland in this draft and offseason.

Its good that Cleveland got some secondary to go up against Ocho, Antonio Bryant and Shipley. But I dont think Cleveland did much at all to score points on Baltimores improved defense.

M
1st String
1st String
M
I just hope Sergio is hurt again.....did i just say that?? I mean....well damn, just hope he does not pan out i guess, and I will leave it at that. The guy is a beast, coming out of high school he was a RB/LB and some said he could be an Adrain Peterson type running back....that is what kind of athlete he is. He has gained a bunch of muscle since and injuries have slowed him, but i sure did not want to see him go to baltimore.

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) "other" AFC North Draft Picks

Link Copied to Clipboard