Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

History of injuries do not ensure future injuries. Just look at Courtney Brown and Adrian Peterson.

Nobody is talking about "insuring" injuries. It does however make it far more likely. Now you listed two players. Would you like me to make you a list to counter that? It would be a long one!

Hardesty has had major surgery on one knee and minor surgery on the other. His injury history at Tennessee includes a high ankle sprain, stress fracture in a foot and a shoulder subluxation.

Now the ankle sprain isn't anything major. But collectively this is a very disturbing pattern. Believe me, with him being a Brown I hope for the best. But as you can see, injuries with him are a pretty noteable pattern that I hope is over.

But I sure wouldn't bet on it.

jmho

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The real issue IMO isn't the player per say it's the round they were selected..same with Ward..
Am I offbase here?

Had the Browns been able to sit and not make a trade ,gotten Hardesty in the 3rd ,then I doubt if anyone would really really be squirming...I had him in the fifth myself,but since other big backs were being selected and they got wind of NE wanting him they pulled the trigger quick..

P
Legend
Legend
P
I wouldn't say necassarily the third round per say.

What I will say is a team during the re-building process can not afford to gamble as big on injury risks as a team already loaded and competative.

So no, I wouldn't say you're totally off base as to my line of thinking. I guess what I'm saying is that there was a LOT of available talent at that pick that would have addressed a position of need with far less risk involved.

And at our stage of development, I think taking a player rated close to the same at a position of need without nearly as much of an injury risk there would have made me feel a lot more secure about the pick.

jmho

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I looked over who was taken at the same positons after the Browns selected multiple times to see a trend..I suggest you do the same..you might see the same thing I did... I wasn't able to find a lot of info bit it appears teams were jumping on players other teams had targeted..almost like there were leaks of information..

Last edited by Attack Dawg; 04/28/10 04:37 PM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

History of injuries do not ensure future injuries. Just look at Courtney Brown and Adrian Peterson.

Nobody is talking about "insuring" injuries. It does however make it far more likely. Now you listed two players. Would you like me to make you a list to counter that? It would be a long one!

Hardesty has had major surgery on one knee and minor surgery on the other. His injury history at Tennessee includes a high ankle sprain, stress fracture in a foot and a shoulder subluxation.

Now the ankle sprain isn't anything major. But collectively this is a very disturbing pattern. Believe me, with him being a Brown I hope for the best. But as you can see, injuries with him are a pretty noteable pattern that I hope is over.

But I sure wouldn't bet on it.

jmho

I have a question for the board and not just you in particular. Why were some people so willing to spend a top 10 pick on Bradford but not spend a 2nd round draft pick on Montario Hardesty? Last time I checked Bradford has been injured on his last 2 hits in football action.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Note that I love the Hardesty pick.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I have a question for the board and not just you in particular. Why were some people so willing to spend a top 10 pick on Bradford but not spend a 2nd round draft pick on Montario Hardesty? Last time I checked Bradford has been injured on his last 2 hits in football action.

Because Bradford is the end all be all, no way to lose player.... Or so some have proclaimed anyway

Seriously, I don't have an answer,, doesn't make sense to me either.. The more I read on him and the more video I see, I don't know why anyone would have a problem with him..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
IMO it's upside, overall talent and the QB position.

I mean if you look at game tape, how many times in a game does the QB truely take a hard hit? Multiple hits on one play?

That's why many consider the RB position as one of the most punishing positions in football. Let's say your OL is not all that good. ( sound familiar? )

For the sake of arguement, let's say your QB takes 50 sacks in a year. That's 50 hits and with the rules involving the NFL QB, often times they're not "pure hard hits".

Now let's look at the RB position. Let's say your RB only averages 18 carries per game. That would add up to 288 carries per season. Let's also say for the sake of arguement that he scores 13 rushing TD's. ( Hey, if we're gonna dream, let's dream big shall we!? )

That would leave 275 hits at the least your RB will take. And that's even discounting multiple hits on any given carry which means your RB goes down the first time he's hit. In reality, there will be many plays he doesn't go down on the first hit which could easily take that number to between 350 to 400 hits a season.

When I look at these type of things, I consider a RB takes FAR more abuse and hits than a QB.

To me, that's just the physical aspect when comparing the two positions. And I think that makes it more than obvious that a RB will take the bulk of the abuse on the O side of the ball in regards to your skill players.

I also feel that "where you are as a team" makes a huge difference as well in regards of if you're in the position to take such a gamble or not.

Then when we look at the QB position. For a team who doesn't have a franchise QB? It's the most covetted position there is. So if a team needs one, feels there's one there who is "NFL ready" they will tend to pull the trigger much faster.

jmho

#gmstrong
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Why were some people so willing to spend a top 10 pick on Bradford but not spend a 2nd round draft pick on Montario Hardesty? Last time I checked Bradford has been injured on his last 2 hits in football action.

Not speaking for anyone else, especially since I'd have been perfectly fine with both selections, but there is a fundamental difference between the injuries suffered by the two guys:

Bradford was injured seriously one time, then re-injured it ONLY when he went back into the game and played while the original injury wasn't healed.

Hardesty has had more than one injury, and they weren't related to each other.

Just sayin'..........

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Yet he has played a solid year in the books without re-hurting the knee.

Sam hasn't.

Sam worries me more.

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Yea.. And AP had a cracked collar bone and many on here didn't want to touch a RB that was already injured... Guess it healed ?

Bottom line is NO ONE has a crystal ball with injuries. You do your best "guessing" and move on. BE tore his knee out and STILL has wheels. Too bad it didn't help his hands

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Now N.E. especially isn't known to take character risks so much, but in their position (this year holding THREE second round picks) they can afford to gamble a little more with injury risks and such.

A team like N.E does not have to gamble on risky players with their high picks,and they don't,hence their lasting success.. Their luxury is being able to sit back and take BPA or a guy that they feel very strongly about. I doubt very much that they sit in their draft room saying "ah what the hell,we can afford it"

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
And yet they took a TE early that didn't play ONE game last year coming off a back surgery.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

A team like N.E does not have to gamble on risky players with their high picks,and they don't,hence their lasting success.. Their luxury is being able to sit back and take BPA or a guy that they feel very strongly about. I doubt very much that they sit in their draft room saying "ah what the hell,we can afford it"

Quote:

And yet they took a TE early that didn't play ONE game last year coming off a back surgery.

Thanks for handling the light work Always. I've been kinda busy today!

#gmstrong
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Browns 2nd Round Pick II: Montario Hardesty (RB)

Link Copied to Clipboard