Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Chattanooga’s Buster Skrine ran a 4.29 and 4.36 but somehow when the official numbers came in they listed the small school blazer at a 4.48. Either way, that kid can fly.

Got to pimp the local kid.

Sure, why not, take him in the 7th.

I don't know anything about him to be honest. I quit following UTC football maybe a year or two after TO left college....not that I was following because of him...the teams were actually pretty good then and played in this nice, old, campus stadium that seated maybe 7000

Stick 5000 in the stands which was pretty normal and it made a great venue on a cool fall Saturday evening.

Now in the off campus stadium that seats about 15,000, that same 5500 just doesn't work.

We had some good coaches back then. Joe Morrison...former NY Giant coached here for a number of years before taking the South Carolina job...Joe Lee Dunn was the D coordinator who maintained a top profile D coordinator for many years at larger schools.

Bill Oliver was Alabamas D coordinator, he came over as HC once Morrison moved on....when Oliver left for health reason, Buddy Nix came in from Ole Miss or MSU...the Owens era.

Buddy is now the GM of the Bills. Buddy is a good guy. I played golf with him numerous times, as the UTC head coaches are given playing privileges at my golf club.

Since Buddy left, the program has floundered, but our new coach, Russ Huessman, who played here under Morrison, looks to have things headed in the right direction again.

I probably need to give my support and buy some season tickets again.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J/C

Not the fastest class of LBers:

Very good****
1) Wilson, Martez
2) Miller, Von
3) Rolle, Brian

Good***
4) Moten, Adrian
5) Hogue, Douglas
6) Mccarthy, Colin
7) Thomas, James
7) Homan, Ross
7) Lutrus, Scott
7) White, Chris
7) Houston, Justin

Average**
12) Mohamed, Mike
13) Wilson, Lawrence
13) Wright, K.J.
13) Foster, Mason
16) Hunter, Jeremiha
16) Smith, D.J.

Below average*
18) Jones, Greg
19) Lloyd, Greg
19) Bellore, Nick
21) Mouton, Jonas
22) Ayers, Akeem
(biggest disappointment)
23) Lemon, Orie
24) Herzlich, Mark

[Linked Image]

N
Legend
Legend
N
was Ayers hurt? if not, he just cost himself some major $$$

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

1. OSU has been pretty much a 1 man show in the Big 10 for a while....2-3 years???

2. I am not going to research things, but the SEC has won WAY more BCS Championship games then any other conference.

1. Longer then that.

2. That may be true because most of Alabamas titles are fake. You should definately research them. Half of them were awarded because of a BS point system that did not even exist when they won them. It would be like the BCS awarding a team from 20 years ago a national championship.

IF you go by legit claims then it is;

Big ten: 29
SEC: 25

N
Legend
Legend
N
I think he was just talking about the BCS-era. 1997 til now.

#gmstrong
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
In the BCS Era (I did this research around bowl season, so I THINK it includes this year's bowl season but can't remember).

The SEC is 16-5 which is a 76% win percent but only 21 games.

The Big 10 is 9-12 ... only a 43% win ratio but also 21 games.

Wisconsin and Ohio State carried the conference with a combined 6 wins but also had 5 losses ... the rest of the conference was 3-7 in BCS games

Meanwhile in the SEC they had LSU and Florida carry them who combined to be 9-1 in BCS games .. while the rest of the conference still went 7-4.

Big East was 6-8 in BCS games (5 of the 6 wins coming from Miami and WVU combined) ... note that I included the teams while they were in the conference AKA Miami still being in the Big East until 2004
ACC was 2-10
Pac 10 was 10-6 (6 wins and one loss came from USC)
and Big 12 was 8-10 (with 6 wins coming from texas and oklahoma combined)

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
http://rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/37462/60/2011-combine-risers--and--fallers?pg=1

2011 Combine Risers & Fallers

Wednesday, March 02, 2011

The Scouting Combine generates more interest every offseason. It was an especially publicized event this year because the NFL draft and its related events are the only sure things with no new Collective Bargaining Agreement on the horizon.

We previewed the six-day affair last week, and successfully pinpointed a number of workout wonders like Nevada DE Dontay Moch, Abilene Christian WR Edmund Gates, and Miami CB Demarcus Van Dyke, the latter of whom ran the fastest forty time in Indianapolis.

Now, let's have a look at risers and fallers from the 2011 Combine.

Combine's Biggest Risers

1. Florida State QB Christian Ponder

After undergoing three throwing-arm surgeries in his final two college seasons, Ponder's biggest pre-draft objectives were clear: stay healthy and pass medicals. He's done both, acing physicals at the Senior Bowl and Combine amidst lengthy stints on the MRI machine, and turning in terrific passing-drill performances. In Indianapolis, the consensus was that Ponder had the most accurate throwing session of any signal caller inside Lucas Oil Stadium. The ideal West Coast quarterback, Ponder emerges from the six-day affair gaining steam as a potential first-round pick.

Ponder's Combine measurables: 6'2/229, 10 1/4" hands, 4.65 forty, 34" vertical

2. Alabama DT Marcell Dareus

Last week, we discussed Dareus' competition with Nick Fairley to be the first defensive tackle drafted. Coming out of the Combine, Dareus has emerged as the clear favorite. The former 3-4 college defensive end ran a 1.66 ten-yard split to best Dareus' time by a full tenth of a second, doing it with 28 more pounds on his frame than his SEC adversary. While Fairley opted out of the bench press altogether, Dareus hoisted 225 pounds 24 times with nearly 34-inch arms. Dareus is considered to possess a better motor and technique than Fairley, showed more up-field burst in Indy, and projects as a significantly superior run stopper. Dareus will go to Denver in our next mock draft.

More Dareus measurables: 6'3 1/2", 319 pounds, 4.93 forty, 10 1/8" hands, 27" vertical

3. Alabama WR Julio Jones

Jones weighed in an inch shorter than his 6-foot-4 listing, but showed incredible explosiveness on the track. At 220 pounds, Jones ran 4.39 to rank third among receivers, and his 11'3" broad jump lapped the wideout field with only small-school flyer Edmund Gates (10'11") coming close. Jones also showed his trademark toughness, participating in all Combine drills on a broken foot. He needs surgery to repair the fracture, but has probably locked himself into the top-ten picks.

More Jones measurables: 33 3/4" arms, 9 3/4" hands, 17 reps of 225, 38 1/2" vertical

4. Miami (FL) WR Leonard Hankerson

When receivers lined up for their forty-yard dashes Saturday morning, NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock called Hankerson's "the most important time of the week." The 6-foot-2, 209-pound prospect proceeded to run the fourth fastest forty among wide receivers in Indianapolis, clocking in at 4.43. Also possessing the biggest hands (10 5/8") of any wideout at the Scouting Combine, Hankerson vaulted himself into consideration for the back end of the first round. Naysayers point to a drop or two in the Gauntlet Drill, but very few NFL decision makers put stock in that workout.

More Hankerson measurables: 36" vertical, 4.21 short shuttle, 6.94 three cone

5. Illinois ILB Martez Wilson

Even the Fighting Illini's closest supporters were stunned when Wilson declared for the draft, and as an underclassman ineligible for postseason all-star games, he needed a dominant Combine to make the decision worthwhile. Wilson delivered, running the best forty of any linebacker in Indy (4.49) at 6-foot-4 and 250 pounds. Wilson's speed is freakish, and at his position only surefire first-round picks Justin Houston and Von Miller showed more lower-body explosion in the standing long jump (10'4"). Wilson also benefits from being the cream of a weak inside linebacker crop.

More Wilson measurables: 34 5/8" arms, 23 reps of 225, 36" vertical, 4.28 short shuttle

6. Nebraska RB Roy Helu

Helu has flown well under the radar for a back who averaged 6.62 YPC in one of college football's most predictably run-first offenses, but stated his case to be a day-two pick in Indy. Running a 4.42 forty that ranked sixth among running backs, Helu also posted the best 20-yard shuttle time (4.01), fastest 60-yard shuttle (11.07), and second best three-cone drill (6.67). If folks are sleeping on the one-cut tackle breaker, it's not because of Helu's size (6'0/219) or respectable pass-catching background (54 career receptions). Some team is going to get a steal this April.

More Helu measurables: 10 1/4" hands (biggest among RBs), 36.5" vertical, 9'11" broad jump

7. Appalachian State FS Mark LeGree

No player in this draft class can touch LeGree's 22 career interceptions, but as an FCS small-schooler there were plenty of questions about his athleticism. LeGree didn't burn up the track with his 4.56 forty, but it was the second fastest among all safeties in Indianapolis. Also weighing in at a solid 5'11 1/2" and 210 pounds, LeGree is on the radar as a possible third-round pick.

More LeGree measurables: 9'8" broad jump, 4.09 short shuttle, 6.90 three cone

8. Auburn RB Mario Fannin

Fannin never topped 84 carries in a college season and played behind freshman Michael Dyer for last year's BCS champs, but his measurables are intriguing. At 5'10/231, Fannin turned in the second fastest forty time (4.38) among running backs, behind only injury-prone Maryland carry sharer Da'Rel Scott. Fannin is built to pass protect and is Auburn's all-time leader in receptions and receiving yards by a running back. He has the look of a homerun-hitting third-down ace.

More Fannin measurables: 9 1/2" hands, 37 1/2" vertical

Combine's Biggest Fallers

1. Arkansas QB Ryan Mallett

Mallett impressed in Combine throwing drills against no pass rush, but everyone knows he can spin it. What hurt Mallett was his media interview, which has been described as a "train wreck" more than once and will be replayed over and over leading up to the draft. Mallett needed to go to Indianapolis poised, confident, and truthful, and in a public setting proved nowhere near ready to be a leader. FOX Sports' Adam Caplan has dropped the strong-armed passer to sixth in his latest quarterback rankings, and it wouldn't be surprising to see Mallett fall all the way to the third round.

Mallett's measurables: 6'7/253, 34 3/8" arms, refused to run forty and shuttles, 8'7" broad jump

2. Auburn DT Nick Fairley

Fairley hardly had a disaster Combine, but being passed by Marcell Dareus on the majority of draft boards is going to hurt him on April 28. Fairley weighed in more than an inch shorter and seven pounds lighter than his college listing, and at 291 pounds is unlikely to appeal to 3-4 teams. Fairley did run an impressive 4.87 forty time considering his size, but that won't help his stock much because defensive tackles never have to run forty yards. The ten-yard split is much more telling.

More Fairley measurables: 34 3/4" arms, did not bench, 31" vertical, 9'5" broad jump

3. North Carolina WR Greg Little

Little exhibited impressive athleticism in the forty-yard dash (4.53), vertical leap (40 1/2"), and standing long jump (10'9"), and even led the wide receiver field with 27 reps of 225 pounds. He's clearly been staying in shape. Unfortunately, NFL teams are much more concerned that Little was "less than truthful" during Combine Q&As after an NCAA suspension cost him his entire senior season. As Lance Zierlein of the Houston Chronicle pointed out, "Scouts already know the answers, Little." Which makes it all the more unwise for Little to lie to them.

More Little measurables: 6'3/231, 9 1/8" hands, 4.21 short shuttle, 6.80 three cone

4. Iowa DE Adrian Clayborn

Like Little, Clayborn's problems aren't athletic. The 6-foot-3, 281-pound pass rusher recorded a solid 1.66 ten-yard split (the same as 319-pound Dareus) and 4.13 short shuttle, to go with a 4.83 forty time. Clayton's red flags have to do with his medical. ESPN's Tony Softli reported just before the Combine that Clayborn suffers from Erb's Palsy, which affects the right side of his body. SI's Don Banks predicts that Clayborn will "probably slip some" because of the condition. His right arm is "mal-developed" and has forced Clayborn to play only right end. Coming off a poor senior season and lacking versatility, Clayborn is no longer a first-round shoo-in.

More Clayborn measurables: 32 1/2" arms, could not bench due to arm injury, 33" vertical

5. Oregon State RB Jacquizz Rodgers

Rodgers is supposed to be a dynamic scatback in the Dexter McCluster or Darren Sproles mold. Sproles ran 4.48 at the 2005 Combine, while McCluster was timed as fast as 4.39 at his Pro Day last March. Shorter than both, Rodgers weighed in at 5-foot-5 7/8 and 196 pounds before running an alarmingly slow 4.64 forty in Indy. Rodgers' three-cone time (7.31) ranked dead last among tailbacks at the Combine, which figures to make Mayock reconsider his positional rankings.

More Rodgers measurables: 8 7/8" hands, 33" vertical

6. Colorado CB Jimmy Smith

Another athletic phenom with major character concerns, Smith did not disappoint in timed drills in Indy. The definition of a "size corner" at 6-foot-2 1/4 and 211 pounds, Smith blazed the track with an official 4.46 forty, unofficially timing as fast as 4.38. Smith also repped 225 pounds 24 times to rank second among cornerbacks at the Combine. Multiple reports have suggested Smith's poor football character will cost him dearly in April, however, and he admitted to only one past arrest in his media interview. Smith was arrested at least twice in college and failed multiple drug tests.

More Smith measurables: 9 3/4" hands, 36" vertical, 10'3" broad jump, 6.93 three cone

7. Florida S Ahmad Black

Black is one of the draft's top playmakers after picking off an eye-popping 33 passes in his last seven seasons of football, but he's too small to be so slow. Weighing in at 5-foot-9 1/2 and 184 pounds, Black recorded forty times of 4.74 and 4.78 while also failing to impress in the 60-yard shuttle (11.25) and three-cone drill (6.85). Of course, all of this could cause Black to be a great value on draft weekend. He led the Gators in tackles, interceptions, and forced fumbles last year.

More Black measurables: 18 reps of 225, 35 1/2" vertical, 9'11" broad jump

8. Wisconsin RB John Clay

No, Clay shouldn't have returned for his senior year in Madison, because Montee Ball and James White are better than him. He would've been weeded out of the rotation. Declaring for the draft was fine, but Clay showed in Indy that he lacks speed to last in the NFL. Despite dropping 30 pounds since the college season, Clay ran 4.87 to bring up the rear among running backs at the Combine. It's a time that will get Clay lumped in with fullbacks and torpedo his draft stock.

More Clay measurables: 6'0/231, 8 3/4" hands, 29" vertical

T
Legend
Legend
T
Akeem Ayers with a 4.88 40

I'm still drafting Ayers with around a 16th overall pick in the 1st round after trading down.

The Combine Wont Change My Want!
I think he is going to be a great playmaker .

I don't care if he runs a 5.88, if he gets 4 touchdowns and 4 forced fumbles in half a season.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend

Peterson got a 9 and Green got a 10 on the Wunderlic.

To put into perspective, being capable of basic addition/multiplication ~15. Questions such as:

Which is the 8th month of the year? A January B December C March D August

If shoes costs a dollar and you buy 5 pairs of shoes, how much did you spend? A. 25 cents B. 100 dollars C. 5 dollars D. Yesterday

Scoring a 9 means you'd struggle in 4th grade.

SEC! SEC! SEC!

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Hmm... and so why do we wonder again why these guys are broke a year after they leave the league?

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
Legend
Legend
How do u know what kind of ?s are asked?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend

M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
Quote:

How do u know what kind of ?s are asked?

I took the test last summer and those types of questions are what are asked at the beginning. They get harder as you go, are time limited, and you MUST answer all questions. If you do 1-9, skip 10, and do 11-20 and get them all right, you score a 9 and they don't even look at 11-20.

When I took it, I got 30 out of 50 possible points, and got to around 40 or 41 in the allotted time. I checked out the last few questions on the walk up to turn it in, and all I have to say is wow, they looked difficult.

10 is considered basic literacy, and 24 is average. I went to school for biochemistry and the average score for a chemist is 31. Having got a 30, I would say the test seems to work

They gave me a booklet with average scores for different professions and I remember some. Computer programmer was around 30, journalist was 25 or 26, which I find very hard to believe every time I read a Grossi article

Some NFL scores from an article written a year ago:

Wonderlic scores for the NFL's projected starting quarterbacks:

1. Ryan Fitzpatrick 48

2. Alex Smith 40

3. Eli Manning 39

4. Matt Stafford 38

5. Tony Romo 37

6. Aaron Rodgers 35

6. Matt Leinart 35

8. Tom Brady 33

9. Matt Ryan 32

10. Matt Schaub 31

11. Philip Rivers 30

12. Matt Hasselbeck 29

12. Marc Bulger 29

12. Brady Quinn 29

15. Mark Sanchez 28

15. Peyton Manning 28

15. Drew Brees 28

18. Josh Freeman 27

18. Joe Flacco 27

20. Carson Palmer 26

20. Jay Cutler 26

20. Kyle Orton 26

23. Ben Roethlisberger 25

24. Jason Campbell 23

25. Brett Favre 22

25. Tim Tebow 22

25. Chad Henne 22

28. Bruce Gradkowski 19

29. Vince Young 15

30. Donovan McNabb 14

30. David Garrard 14

Unknown: Matt Cassel, Matt Moore

Top quarterback prospects in 2010 NFL draft

Sam Bradford, Oklahoma 36

Colt McCoy, Texas 25

Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame 23

Tebow 22

Other Wonderlic scores of note:

Brian Griese 39

Drew Bledsoe 36

Steve Young 33

John Elway 29

Chad Pennington 25

JaMarcus Russell 24

Mark Brunell 22

Trent Dilfer 22

Michael Vick 20

Daunte Culpepper 18

Dan Marino 15

Randall Cunningham 15

Jim Kelly 15

Terry Bradshaw 15

Chris Leak 8

NFL averages by position

Offensive tackle – 26
Center – 25
Quarterback – 24
Guard – 23
Tight end – 22
Safety – 19
Linebacker – 19
Cornerback – 18
Wide receiver – 17
Fullback – 17
Halfback – 16

Guess the guys up front are the brains and the brawn

And Fitzpatrick got a 48? Very impressive. Guy did go to Harvard though.

"All I know is, as long as I led the Southeastern Conference in scoring, my grades would be fine." - Charles Barkley
Legend
Legend
I don't put a whole lot weight on the Wonderlick score. The teams must see some value in it but I doubt it is a whole lot. I assume they use it to see how players can respond under pressure and think quickly.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

This is one site

http://walterfootball.com/draftwonderlic.php

This test isn't easy because of the time factor. I got a 32.5, so I'll call it a 32. And that's not even all the questions on the test.

I don't really get what it proves though, the questions have little to do with football. I guess there's a certain score that you would like to have your guys be above (able to think under pressure), but when it equates to the playing field, I just don't know.

One of my friends has learning difficulties and is bad at tests. He graduated college and everything, but it was very difficult for him. But when it comes to sports, he just gets it. Not just the body coordination, but the plays and where to be.

He plays lacrosse and he always had a knack for getting to an open space. He made his younger brother an all-american and got him a scholarship to Ohio State to play lax (by passing him the ball at the perfect moments his younger brother was able to be all-american. when my buddy graduated, his younger brother couldn't pull off the same type of season). In football he played linebacker and possibly holds Connecticut's record for tackles in a season (although I tell him it's because he's the only one making any tackles and someone has to do it). On a sports field, he's understands positioning much better than me and he's really able to think under pressure. At the end of a game, when you're looking for someone to get open, catch a pass and score, he has pulled it off countless times. But put a test like that in front of him and forget it, he won't do well at all.

So yeah, to an extent I see the wonderlic as a bunch of nonsense. You want your guy to be able to get a minimum score (to show that he's somewhat intelligent), and it doesn't hurt to get a really high score, but it shouldn't be a major factor, but as long as he's out of the single digits, for a non-qb, i see it as a non-factor.

Look at Pennington, he got a 25, yet he was a VERY smart QB IMO. Or Peyton Manning with a 28, yet Eli gets like a 38. Peyton is a smarter QB than Eli in my opinion

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I don't put a whole lot weight on the Wonderlick score. The teams must see some value in it but I doubt it is a whole lot. I assume they use it to see how players can respond under pressure and think quickly.

No doubt some 'Wonder Boy' came up with the idea.

[Linked Image]

B
Legend
Legend
B
it's just one aspect of the grading process. If you have two guys you want as players and they are about equal, then the quicker of mind might get the nod, but you aren't using this as your first criteria.

There are lot's of people in medical schools that could probably ace the thing who aren't going to get drafted.

Just saying....and it is probably a good thing. We need more MD's.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree with that.
It might imply that someone may have a harder time picking up a scheme, but much of football is I think natural instincts and that's still something that can't be measured or tested...refer to film.

[Linked Image]

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) 2011 NFL Scouting Combine

Link Copied to Clipboard