Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Cleveland Browns' Tom Heckert impressed with plethora of powerful defensive linemen in 2011 NFL draft
Published: Sunday, February 27, 2011, 1:45 AM Updated: Sunday, February 27, 2011, 1:57 AM
By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer

INDIANAPOLIS -- Tom Heckert picked the right year to be searching for the next Julius Peppers or Ndamukong Suh to power the Browns' new 4-3 defense.

The 2011 draft is stocked with dominant defensive linemen, and the Browns have an excellent chance of landing one with the sixth pick in the first round.

"It's a good group all the way around," said the Browns general manager. "There's tackles and ends. Obviously the underclassmen coming out helped. There's a lot of guys who are going to go really early."

Heckert had high praise for premier pass-rushing ends Da'Quan Bowers of Clemson and Robert Quinn of North Carolina. But he's also enamored with havoc-wreaking tackles such as Alabama's Marcell Dareus and Auburn's Nick Fairley. And he couldn't say enough about Purdue pass-rusher Ryan Kerrigan, who had 32.5 sacks over the past five seasons and could be had later in the draft.

"I think everybody's looking for pass rushers," Heckert said. "Normally, you'd take the pass-rushing end over the tackle. But defensive linemen are so in demand. If you really like a guy who's special as a tackle, he's still going to get pressure on the quarterback. Pat Shurmur talked to our scouts and said, "quarterbacks don't like pressure in their face."

A glance at some of the top defensive linemen and Heckert's take:

Marcell Dareus: He's the kind of explosive inside player that Shurmur alerted the scouts to. NFL Network's Mike Mayock ranks him as the No. 1 tackle in the draft ahead of Fairley, and ESPN's Todd McShay has the Browns picking him in his mock draft.

The MVP of the 2009 BCS title game, Dareus knocked then-Texas quarterback Colt McCoy out of the game with a shoulder injury. He can rush as well as play the run, with 4.5 sacks last year and 11 for losses despite being double-teamed every play.

"He's relentless, he plays hard," said Heckert. "I think he spent a lot of time this year with a high ankle sprain and he played through it. He's a high, high-motor guy and he doesn't stop and he makes a ton of plays for a defensive tackle."

Dareus (6-3, 309) patterns himself after former Pro Bowl tackle Warren Sapp, who considers Dareus the best tackle in this draft.

Da'Quan Bowers: The Clemson end (6-4, 275) led the nation with 15.5 sacks in 2010 and 25 tackles for a loss. He's so explosive off the edge that he could go No. 1, but some teams might view him as a one-year wonder. He's not working out at the combine while still recovering from postseason surgery to repair a torn meniscus, but says he's 100 percent. He also boldly compared himself to Peppers during his interview.

"He's obviously a super-productive guy," said Heckert. "He's legit. He's a bigger guy. This is a big guy that can rush the passer. Anytime you can get a guy like that, you'd have to be interested."

Heckert can see the Peppers comparison, even though it's lofty. But Bowers put it in perspective.

"[Peppers] is one of the premier defensive ends in the NFL, and I'm just a scrawny little defensive end coming out of college attempting to play like him and be half as good as him," he said.

Robert Quinn: An enigma, the North Carolina end was suspended for all of 2010 after accepting agent-related benefits worth about $5,600. Some experts, such as Mayock, think he can go No. 1 with a great workout Monday. Others have him rated the ninth-best end and not a first-rounder. In his last season on the field in 2009, Quinn led the ACC with 19 tackles for a loss and was second with 11 sacks.

At the combine on Saturday, he declared himself the best pass-rusher in this draft.

"He's a heck of a football player," said Heckert, who downplayed the year off. "There's no question why people are talking about him. He plays hard and he can rush the passer."

Mayock called him a "physical freak" and a "special, special athlete."

Nick Fairley: The Auburn tackle (6-4, 298) won the Lombardi Trophy as the nation's best lineman. He led the SEC with 24 tackles for a loss and had 11.5 sacks. MVP of the 2010 BCS Title Game, he had five tackles, 3.5 for a loss, 1.5 sacks, and a forced fumble.

Mayock has him ranked behind Dareus, and several mocks, including Pro Football Weekly's, have the Browns taking him. But Fairley has a reputation as a dirty player, with late-hit penalties and some spearing.

Heckert disputed the reputation.

"No, not at all," he said. "He's a tough player. I guess there's a fine line. It's not after the whistle stuff. I think it's more toughness than being a dirty player."

Ryan Kerrigan: Heckert praised the Purdue end, who had 13 sacks in '09 and 12.5 in '10. "He's another high-motor guy, a excellent pass-rusher and supreme playmaker."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2011/02/cleveland_browns_gm_tom_hecker_5.html

M
All Pro
All Pro
M
This just in: Heckert likes every player available at #6.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"One man's Bum is another man's Hobo" - Waterdawg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The big DT's will be gone as will Bowers and a good chance Quinn could as well.

Of that list Kerrigan is a pretty safe bet to be on the board when we pick. I don't think most teams will have him in their top 10.

But he is easy to fall in love with. I am more interested in those he didn't mention

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Lol cleveland fans sure love us some hustle boys with barely any athleticism.

Watt, Kerrigan, Casey Matthews

A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Quote:

Of that list Kerrigan is a pretty safe bet to be on the board when we pick. I don't think most teams will have him in their top 10.

But he is easy to fall in love with. I am more interested in those he didn't mention

Hmm, would you want the 5th best dlineman, or the best corner, the best wr, ot.
I say we take the best as we have many needs so we take the best among those. i really like the OT from Wisconsin filling out a top unit and making running passing and keeping our qbs healthy. Take the best dlineman in the second round if we can't get the dlineman we want.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Since we're building for the long haul I'd rather take the CB Peterson rather than the second tier DE's. I realize both positions benefit from great play from each other but good coverage might give average Dlinemen more time to penetrate. (of course vice versa on that also) I'd just rather have the top CB,WR or whatever we choose rather than a significant drop in talent DLman.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

I say we take the best as we have many needs so we take the best among those. i really like the OT from Wisconsin filling out a top unit and making running passing and keeping our qbs healthy. Take the best dlineman in the second round if we can't get the dlineman we want.

1st best this...2nd best that...

IF we would even SNIFF taking Carimi at 6 Heckert's FIRED...

We do have needs...EVERYWHERE...U take BPA regardless of position at 6...And it sure as hell ain't gonna be any OLmen...OL in this draft BLOWS in the top end...

Go Browns!!!
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Cleveland Browns' Tom Heckert impressed with plethora of powerful defensive linemen in 2011 NFL draft

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

U take BPA regardless of position at 6.

I agree 100%!

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Lol cleveland fans sure love us some hustle boys with barely any athleticism.

Watt, Kerrigan, Casey Matthews

I'll give you Matthews, but Kerrigan ran tied for the 3rd best 40 time of guys who are being considered as 4-3 DEs.

DL 40s

JJ Watt was the #1 4-3 DE in the three-cone, which is considered to be one of the better gauges of athleticism. Only likely 3-4 OLB Acho ran better.

DL 3-Cone

Watt was also #2 of all DL (incl. Moch) for the 20-yd shuttle.

Also, the broad jump.

Also, the vertical leap.

Watt and Kerrigan were 4(t) and 6 in the bench as well.

So... what makes you think the have barely any athleticism?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Watt may have been the most impressive defensive lineman at the combine. He is way more athletic than I perceived him to be. Combine the athleticism with what you see from him in game and you got yourself one hell of a defensive linemen. He has a no quit motor.

Legend
Legend
With the exception of Fairley (whom I thought was completely unbelievable in the positional drills) I agree with you. When Wisc played OSU I thought "how is this guy not a 1st round pick?" then when people had him going as high as 9 I thought "there's no way he goes that high," but now I'm starting to see why. He's pretty much a monster.

B
Legend
Legend
B
We do have needs...EVERYWHERE...U take BPA regardless of position at 6...And it sure as hell ain't gonna be any OLmen...OL in this draft BLOWS in the top end...

I am proud of you my friend.

This isn't commentary on the past, just a observation from the here and now.......You Get It.

When you are a good team, you can select to improve that area of need.

I am not trying to hijack the thread and start a new discussion, but after Joe Thomas, maybe Haden, maybe Hillis, maybe someone I am forgetting, we can improve at nearly every other position.

I don't but this crap about why take the 2nd best player at a position. If the 2nd best is better than the 1st best somewhere else, take the 2nd best.

Here is my proof in reasoning.

There are 22 position players starting on a team. Once you get to #23 in the draft, you are selecting 2nd best something, or you are selecting the best kicker, then punter.

Also note it doesn't work that way...you might have 2-3 backs, QBs selected before you see a guard taken.

Take the BPA in round 1 no matter what position he plays.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

1st best this...2nd best that...

IF we would even SNIFF taking Carimi at 6 Heckert's FIRED...

I thought Mayock talked of carimi as a possible LT but the best rt in the draft. I am saying if Green, Peterson, Darius, and Quinn are taken in the picks before us I have no problem witth a stud RT. Pashos is Mr. Glass, injured in his last three seasons and run out of town by Oline starved teams in Jacksonville and SF, and he promptly gets injured for us. We cut St. Clair and now have nobody.
I agree those other four guys are studs, yet rather than getting the second or third best DE why not the best OT?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

I have no problem witth a stud RT.

There are no stud RT's.

Quote:

I am saying if Green, Peterson, Darius, and Quinn are taken in the picks before us

That would leave us with a choice of Bowers, Fairley, Miller, and Jones. It would also means one of the two QB's is available, so there would be a trade down possibility.

Quote:

We cut St. Clair and now have nobody.

As if he is somebody.

Quote:

yet rather than getting the second or third best DE why not the best OT?

Because we are not in the position to take need over talent.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Are you suggesting Carimi at #6 overall? I hope not.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Yes he is.

C
1st String
1st String
C
i think the worst part of this draft is that we inevitably miss out on top tier talent...no matter who we take.

so they better make sure it isn't a bust....ie quinn.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I disagree. If we stay at #6 and pick the best player available, we stand the best chance of landing a playmaker. Let's face it, with the exception of LT and, maybe, center, there isn't a position on this team that can't be improved (in some cases dramatically).

I think Heckert and Holmgren realize that this team needs to add some studs. We started the process with Haden and can continue building this season. Unless some team is willing to give the farm away to move up, I really don't want to trade down. We need difference-makers on this team. Badly.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Unless some team is willing to give the farm away to move up, I really don't want to trade down.

There are no difference makers at pick 14?

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Could be. The odds for that get longer, however, the further down you move. IMO, if one of Peterson, Bowers, Green or Dareus is there at 6 we'd be better off to stay put and grab him. If they aren't, who knows... :: shrug ::

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Heckert impressed with plethora of powerful defensive linemen in 2011 NFL

Link Copied to Clipboard