3. WR Dwight Jones or WR Tommy Streeter

Mourgrym #640637 12/21/11 09:57 PM
J
JE159 Offline OP
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
J
The more and more I think about it…here is what I can see happening. I think there is no way we win either of our last two games with both Pittsburgh and Baltimore needing to win out (I do hope we at least show signs of improvement in these games and gain a little bit of momentum going into the off-season). I do think Jacksonville will beat Indy in week 17 jumping their win total to 5 wins and moving us up to the 4th overall pick.

First off, let me start by stating I do believe it is going to be hard for us to sign a big name free agent in one of the major playmaker positions. I do believe that we should try to grab one of the best available offensive linemen in free agency. I also think H&H will be looking to sign young talent to bring in to camp in order to compete for starting jobs next year. If we could knock out that position of need (OL), especially with Steinbach coming back next year, I think we do have enough draft choices to potentially hit all our positional needs, but we MUST hit on each pick (H&H hit a high percentage of their draft picks so far, IMHO).

With the first 3 picks most likely being Indy – Luck, Minnesota – Kalil, and St. Louis – Blackmon, I think we have many different options at trading down to make ourselves a better team in 2012. With both potentially RG3 and Barkley on the board, there are a lot of teams picking in the 8 – 12 range that would love a shot at grabbing one of those two guys. If we could trade back into that 8 – 12 range and still grab Trent Richardson, while picking up a 2nd and 3rd or potentially and 1st and 3rd next year (something like that as I do not know what it would take), I would do that in a heartbeat. With Atlanta’s pick, I would love to grab the WR out of Baylor K Wright. I think that could give us a top notch running back with a deep threat WR in Wright that could really make an immediate impact/upgrade to our offense while upgrading our OL in Free Agency. With our 2nd round pick, I would look for a CB to pair up with Haden. If we could nail down another lock down CB with our 2nd round pick, our secondary would be killer for many years (Haden, Ward, Skrine, Dockery, Hagg, Patterson are all so young and talented).

With our 3rd and two 4th round picks I would take best available OL, DL, and LB (in no particular order). Rounds 5 and on I would take the fastest players available at a depth need position and hopefully we can hit on 1 or 2 of them (WR – Posey??). I would also take a developmental QB to compete and push McCoy for a year to see if he is the real deal or not.

This doesn’t even take into account the extra picks we could potentially pick up this year for trading down from 4 to 8-12 in potentially the 2nd and 3rd rounds. What are your thoughts on this scenario???

JE159 #640638 12/21/11 10:04 PM
J
JE159 Offline OP
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
J
Oops...I forgot to add in my previous post that another area I would like to address in free agency and think that we could upgrade at is the TE position. With the way Watson is going...might be time to look for an upgrade there as well.

JE159 #640639 12/21/11 10:20 PM
Legend
Legend
I know he only has four catches but do we know what we have in Jordan Cameron yet? With a real QB could he be something special?

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Punchsmack #640640 12/21/11 10:37 PM
Legend
Legend
His potential is Rob Gronkowski.

JE159 #640641 12/22/11 08:44 AM
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
I think that could be a good scenario. I have been thinking about Seattle trading up to get Barkley possibly.Right now they sit at 14, I think.Although 14 may be to far down for Richardson, we could get a WR there and maybe Oline with the Atlanta pick.

vadawgfan07 #640642 12/22/11 09:03 AM
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
What can we get from Seattle to let Pete Carroll trade up for his old QB? I wrote in another thread that we might be able to get their Nos. 1 and 2 this year and No. 1 next year. Is that realistic?
If so, I believe Tanehill or even Landry Jones will freefall to the second round. Not that many teams need QBs. It's the one position where you ALWAYS draft based on need and NEVER best player available.

JE159 #640643 12/22/11 09:04 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
That's all nice and dandy....except that WE ARE 1 of those teams who should love grabbing a QB

Those teams picking n the 8-12 range like MIA, WAS, SEA, ARI etc have had better QB play this season than us....so if they are so desperate to trade up and give up the farm for one of those QBs, shouldn't we just pick one of them when we DONT have to give up the farm?...just an idea

The closer we get to draft day the more people get "prospect happy"...as if rookies instantly improve the team....newsflash: they DONT, they take time, they come into the league facing an uphill battle....on day 1of TC a 3rd year UDFA camp guy is probably better than most 1st rounders, rookies TAKE TIME....even no brainer picks like Mack took a full season until he looked decent...Haden didn't even start for the 1st half of his rookie year and he was a top 10 pick...so all those extra 2nds and 3rds are nice but they won't fix the team for the 2012 season and maybe, actually probably, are still inconsistent in 2013

What we've seen with Sheard is absolutely the EXCEPTION, not the norm...the "good norm" are guys like Taylor and Little, who flash but are still inconsistent...and considering the positions these guys play it is nothing short of amazing what Heckert and Shurmur/Jauron accomplished....so, expecting them to be able to do the same with next draft's top 3 picks is setting the bar VERY high...and I suspect many believe it is "normal" what they did but it wasn't...after the trade down we didn't have a Top 20 pick, those 3 guys were all picked between 20-60 and all 3 are ALREADY major contributors...that's NOT the norm, esp. with little vet building blocks around them

Also, last year's draft was incredibly deep as a lot more JRs left school looking for the last big payday draft....this class isn't even close....again, a guy like Pinkston would be considered a borderline top 100 pick in THIS draft

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
DjangoBrown #640644 12/22/11 09:16 AM
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Fair point about the QBs, but I'm not sure I'd value Barkley higher than Tannehill or Landry Jones. I just know that Seattle would. One thing I actually might trust Holmgren on at this point is evaluating QBs coming out of the draft. Remember, he didn't so much choose McCoy as the guy was sitting there late and he took a flier. So if these guys decide to go all in for RG 3 or Barkley, or wait a while and grab Jones or Tannehill, I'll be on board.

DjangoBrown #640645 12/22/11 09:25 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I have "found" my 1st prospects making my "no go" list...I would not draft most of these guys AT ALL, as I'm sure they won't make it in the NFL...and most are considered mid round picks or higher....Carlton Mitchell made this list a couple of years ago, we only burned a 6th so I wasn't very vocal but I think Deep rememebers I still considered it a bad pick....this list has been incredibly accurate the last years and it helps my preparation for the draft and my annual mock

Here goes and feel free to discuss, disagree etc, maybe you'll be able to talk someone off the list (yeah I know, good luck with that, lol):

WR Posey
QB L.Jones
WR Streeter
CB J.Jenkins
DT/DE Crick (no 43 fit, maybe as 34 5tech, but even there not worth the investment it takes)

Both WE Floyd and WR Jeffery are very close to make the list, have to dig a little deeper on both, but not liking the consensus drift of their reports

#gmstrong

DjangoBrown #640646 12/22/11 09:39 AM
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Here's why (besides the fact I'm a Buckeye) I'd take Posey off the list. The crap those guys did (tattoos for memorabilia) was hardly legit criminal behavior. He is about to finish his degree, and the whole time he was suspended, he supposedly busted his butt in practice, etc. It's not like he just quit going to class or blew off his team. I think he's got good character. And he is very talented.
It's been weird to watch Landry Jones fall out of favor. He started the season out ahead of Barkley. I've heard he has a great arm and is a solid guy (not another Mallet) but is immobile. I dunno, I'd grab him with a No. 2 if we don't take a QB earlier.

DjangoBrown #640647 12/22/11 10:07 AM
Legend
Legend
please, you have to explain the Jenkins one. It's not just that you think he'll get overdrafted, right? It's that "he won't make it?" You think he's too much of a knucklehead?

The Big G #640648 12/22/11 10:08 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Posey isn't on the list because of the off field stuff, although it's another indicator of poor character/work ethic....he has shown lots of on field problems, he never played up to his supposed talent....underachiever in College pretty much NEVER make it in the NFL....that's why I hated the Massa pick...Posey is raw as a route runner and isn't very physical and hasn't a lot of fight in him....sounds like another Robo or Massa to me

Jones was a worse Sooner QB than Bradford, who is "not there yet" after 2 seasons and everytime I got to watch Jones he was simply horrible in everything that is important to the position....he's a 1 read QB, with little pocket awareness...I don't expect CFB QBs to look off defenders but atleast to make the decision to not throw to your 1st read if he's triple covered....no progressions and stupid decisions is all I've seen from Landry...he's a longshot, VERY RAW QB prospect and a developmental QB only...best served going back for his SR year and improve at least 1 thing before entering the NFL

I forgot another player on the list: WR Kearse

Give me guys like AJ Jenkins, Boykin or even Jordan White any day over overrated guys like Kearse, Streeter and Posey

A guy like Baldwin went undrafted and is now one of the best rookie WRs in Seattle...you can draft a Bess, Colston, Baldwin in ANY draft...instead GMs swing for bums like Massa, Robo, Turner (USC) etc EVERY draft....big school WR who look the part but underachieved are a LOCK to not make it in the NFL...when we drafted Massa and Robo in 09 I targeted Collie and Mike Thomas in the 4th...both more productive receivers, available 2 rounds later...you really can draft a pretty strong WR unit without even looking at WRs in the top rounds, just ask the Saints, they drafted backups in Meachem and Henderson with early picks and their best receivers are Graham a 4th rounder, Colston 7th and Moore UDFA

This draft AJ Jenkins looks like the Denarius Moore of this draft, a big school sleeper, with iffy QB play, yet still produced...I don't know how anyone can rate Streeter, Kearse or Posey ahead of him...just stupid

#gmstrong

DjangoBrown #640649 12/22/11 10:25 AM
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Quote:

That's all nice and dandy....except that WE ARE 1 of those teams who should love grabbing a QB

Those teams picking n the 8-12 range like MIA, WAS, SEA, ARI etc have had better QB play this season than us....so if they are so desperate to trade up and give up the farm for one of those QBs, shouldn't we just pick one of them when we DONT have to give up the farm?...just an idea

The closer we get to draft day the more people get "prospect happy"...as if rookies instantly improve the team....newsflash: they DONT, they take time, they come into the league facing an uphill battle....on day 1of TC a 3rd year UDFA camp guy is probably better than most 1st rounders, rookies TAKE TIME....even no brainer picks like Mack took a full season until he looked decent...Haden didn't even start for the 1st half of his rookie year and he was a top 10 pick...so all those extra 2nds and 3rds are nice but they won't fix the team for the 2012 season and maybe, actually probably, are still inconsistent in 2013

What we've seen with Sheard is absolutely the EXCEPTION, not the norm...the "good norm" are guys like Taylor and Little, who flash but are still inconsistent...and considering the positions these guys play it is nothing short of amazing what Heckert and Shurmur/Jauron accomplished....so, expecting them to be able to do the same with next draft's top 3 picks is setting the bar VERY high...and I suspect many believe it is "normal" what they did but it wasn't...after the trade down we didn't have a Top 20 pick, those 3 guys were all picked between 20-60 and all 3 are ALREADY major contributors...that's NOT the norm, esp. with little vet building blocks around them

Also, last year's draft was incredibly deep as a lot more JRs left school looking for the last big payday draft....this class isn't even close....again, a guy like Pinkston would be considered a borderline top 100 pick in THIS draft

Just asking. Why could the same thing not be said about McCOy as he is virtually a rookie this season given the new scheme and lack of a full off season.
The thought behind trading back is assuming that Holmgren and Heckert elect to stick with McCoy. I don't know if he has what it takes to be the QB of this team for the long haul or not as I am not privy to all the information that the front office has.
But if there is even a hint of question regarding McCoy then I whole heartedly agree with you about drafting a QB this year.Although I don't think I give up three firsts for Luck.
I'm not a football coach or scout or anything remotely associated with being a qualified talent evaluator but when I watch highlights of Luck and Barkley I don't see much gap in talent between the two.

DjangoBrown #640650 12/22/11 10:27 AM
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Seems like teams like the Steelers (Wallace, Brown), Giants (Cruz) are always finding these gem WRs in late rounds. But if we can't spot guys like that, the next best thing is to use one of our No. 1s on one. If we resign Hillis, solidify RT and get a guy like Blackmon or Floyd, maybe we can be respectable on offense.

clevesteve #640651 12/22/11 10:28 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

please, you have to explain the Jenkins one. It's not just that you think he'll get overdrafted, right? It's that "he won't make it?" You think he's too much of a knucklehead?

I wouldn't waste a Top 3 round pick on the next Pacman Jones...the off field stuff would have put him "just" in Massa-territory as in, please don't draft him in the Top 100..the fact that he seems not to like to tackle is the kicker that got him off my board completely....a press-cover CB only with off field strikes?

In our system and in todays NFL you need COMPLETE CBs....cover-CBs are dying out in this league with the new rules...you absolutely have to be a good and WILLING tackler, esp. in system like ours where we expose the outside for runs....that's why I LOVE Dennard with the ATL pick, perfect fit....Judie is another guy I really like, if we can't get them Fletcher in the 4th is a decent consolation prize or Tandy in the 5th as inside guy with #2 upside, FSU's Harris is similar...all willing and fundamentally sound tacklers...in the late rounds or as UDFA Toldeo Rocket CB Marrow is worth a look...he could be the next Sherman (rookie CB in SEA)

I always liked those small slot/#2 CB tweeners who aren't afraid to tackle...I always see Winfield upside....I love Dennard but we really don't need to sell out in our search for a #2 CB

Just like WR, you can find decent CBs that fit your system in almost every round....you just have to have a good eye for them

#gmstrong

The Big G #640652 12/22/11 10:34 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Seems like teams like the Steelers (Wallace, Brown), Giants (Cruz) are always finding these gem WRs in late rounds. But if we can't spot guys like that, the next best thing is to use one of our No. 1s on one. If we resign Hillis, solidify RT and get a guy like Blackmon or Floyd, maybe we can be respectable on offense.

Colston, Garcon, etc... they aren't "gems" as much as they are talented guys who came into good situations... the common denominator is that they all came into good QB situations. I agree with everybody that says QBs make WRs, not the other way around... we need stability and production from the QB position, whether its McCoy or somebody else... then suddenly we will start finding these late round "gems"...

yebat' Putin
DjangoBrown #640653 12/22/11 10:35 AM
Legend
Legend
That FIU corner that's smallish but tough looked pretty decent in the little bit of the Marshall game that I saw. Obviously, I can't endorse him having only seen a few plays, but I'll watch him when i get around to watching my DVR of the game. He made some really strong tackles behind the LOS.

Jester #640654 12/22/11 10:36 AM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I would love to see somebody do an evaluation of Richardson with 1a vs Lamar Smith Mia with pick 1b.

as the unofficial spokesperson for Lamar Miller on this board (assuming typo as you meant the Miami RB)

Lamar Miller reminds me of McCoy. Richardson is more like a slower version of Adrian Peterson. So yes, I like Miller better than Richardson for our offense as I think he would be fantastic and is a huge playmaker.

Add in that we can take a QB or WR with our 1A pick and it is a no-brainer to me (if we are going to select a RB that high).

The one thing we might do is gamble that Miller lasts until our 2 pick. If we do, then we could lock up another spot as well as most teams do not like selecting RB in the 1st. I think he would be gone though.

#gmstrong
vadawgfan07 #640655 12/22/11 10:43 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I don't expect any rookie QB to be a huge upgrade over Colt in his 3rd year...I think a couple of guys could be better than him day 1 but I don't draft a QB for 2012...next year's season is still a rebuilding one....sure, if we keep McCoy the starter, trade down collect more valuable picks for RB, WR and RT, sign some decent FAs we could look decent for the next seasons but that's not what I want...I'd much rather have another 4 win season in 2012 with a rookie QB than a perennial 7-9 win team with Colt at the helm

I've said so many time and it's why I don't engage myself in Colt debates anymore as everythin has been said by now....he just doesn't have the upside left worth waiting for...he's not good at ANYTHING important for the position...his best case sceanrio is to "develop" into the AVG category in those important ones and that's being nice (ie, watching Colt in the pocket for 20 games I'm sure he'll NEVER get "it"...he just guesses in the pocket and has no feel for it)....

I wasn't a big fan of the Little pick, but I see stuff worth developing and hoping for...same can be said about Pinkston and even Lauvao on Offense (not a big Lauvao fan and would still look to replace him, but he has improved more than Colt during the season) and even more so about Sheard, Taylor on D...

Players have to show something worth developing/waiting for...Colt hasn't shown enough imho....others disagree I know...as I said everything has been said, so please don't turn this thread into anotehr Colt one....we'll have to wait for H&H's decision

#gmstrong

DjangoBrown #640656 12/22/11 10:55 AM
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Colt is actually perfectly suited to be a very good NFL backup. I'm more and more thinking we should go for Barkley with 1A or Tannehill with 1B. Any other year, we (hopefully) aren't going to have such a high No. 1 AND another No. 1. This is the one draft where we wouldn't have to mortgage everything to get our franchise QB. We just have to get it right.

no_logo_required #640657 12/22/11 11:02 AM
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

(if we are going to select a RB that high).

I'm not 100% sure that Hillis is gone. These last 2 games could go a long way in deciding his fate here. If he stays, it could still be 50/50 whether or not the Browns take a RB early.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
The Big G #640658 12/22/11 11:03 AM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
j/c

Matt Barkley is making an announcement at 4PM EST today . . .

Per ESPN radio . . .

Brownoholic #640659 12/22/11 11:22 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

j/c

Matt Barkley is making an announcement at 4PM EST today . . .

Per ESPN radio . . .

Can't wait to hear all of the moaning around here when he says he's staying...

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) 2012 Draft

Link Copied to Clipboard