Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
It's important enough for you to take "high potential" QB's, that frankly aren't ready for the NFL every year.

But, you wouldn't trade two 1's and a 2 for the most "best QB prospect since John Elway"?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He is big enough but Holmgren's philosophy has always been and will continue to be never take a receiver in the first unless it is the last piece of the puzzle. Now there are exceptions with the superstar rare player like Andre Johnson, Green and Megatron.

Legend
Legend
As much as I want Blackmon, I'd be surprised if we pick him. Frankly, I won't be surprised if he's gone before we pick, especially if Jacksonville picks before us.

And I wouldn't necessarily blame the FO for not taking him, so long as who we do take is a playmaker.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
If we lose to Pittsburgh, there is no way Jacksonville can pick ahead of us.

If we lose, we are guaranteed at least the #4 pick.

*Edit* Err, maybe not. I read an article that said that, but looking at the order as of now, I don't see how that's true...

Last edited by TopDawg16; 12/26/11 12:31 PM.

Legend
Legend
Ok, I kind of thought that, but my brain is in shutdown mode after all the sugar I've eaten in the past couple days. Thanks.

So if we lose to Pitt, ahead of us are the Colts, Vikings and Rams. In that case, I think Blackmon just might be there for us. However, if someone out there is desperate for RGIII or someone like Blackmon and is willing to give us a great trade, I take it (unless the FO is totally sold on RGIII).

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
If Jacksonville loses, I would assume the order would be ..

1. St. Louis
2. Minnesota (if they lose)
3. Indy (plays Jacksonville)
4. Jacksonville
5. Cleveland

But according to ESPN, we're guaranteed the 4th pick if we lose.

I'm confused lol.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

If we lose to Pittsburgh, there is no way Jacksonville can pick ahead of us.

If we lose, we are guaranteed at least the #4 pick.

*Edit* Err, maybe not. I read an article that said that, but looking at the order as of now, I don't see how that's true...

Is Jax SOS going to change that much in a week???

I think ESPN is wrong...Ours will go UP with Pitt...Jax's goes DOWN with Indy...

We get 5...

Go Browns!!!
Legend
Legend
I'm assuming that TB can't jump ahead of us (thereby moving us down to 5 or 6)?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Browns cannot pick lower than No. 4 if they lose. If Minnesota defeats Chicago, and the Browns lose, Cleveland will pick No. 3.

I'm just gonna throw in a few general thoughts here...

As it stands, RG3 has a decent arm. It's not his best attribute, but he can throw downfield. At the moment, RG3 barely even uses his lower body, either. Once he is coached up and he uses his lower body more, he might end up with a rocket. He also throws a tight spiral and has a fantastic deep ball, so I'm not worried about the wind at all.

Justin Blackmon will be there when the Browns pick. St. Louis is probably going to pick second, and Matt Kalil will be the BPA. It just so happens that the Rams desperately need help along the offensive line.

The Vikings have needs at cornerback and wideout, but Claiborne is much better than Blackmon.

But when/if Blackmon falls to the Browns, I will not want him. All elite wide receivers have a few traits in common. They are either:

1. Big. At least 6'3" with hands and athletic ability.
2. Incredibly quick. Steve Smith is only 5'9", but he is shifty and fast as hell.

Justin Blackmon is neither of those. He's 6'1" 215, so he has some bulk, but he doesn't have the height/speed combination to be much of a deep threat. He has occasionally great hands (has some issues with drops on the perimeter) and is an excellent route runner. He has good YAC ability and can make a few guys miss. In essence, he is Anquan Boldin.

The Browns already have an underneath, WCO weapon in Greg Little. Little isn't really a deep threat, but he's starting to catch the ball like he did in college, and he is incredible with the ball in his hands. Right now, the Browns need speed and vertical ability. Blackmon provides neither of those, and he lacks the physical ability to develop into an elite player.

Right now, my draft board is as follow:

1. Andrew Luck
2. Robert Griffin III
3. Morris Claiborne
4. Trent Richardson
5. Matt Kalil

Legend
Legend
Quote:

It's important enough for you to take "high potential" QB's, that frankly aren't ready for the NFL every year.

But, you wouldn't trade two 1's and a 2 for the most "best QB prospect since John Elway"?

Who are you referring to?

Luck?

I would trade 3 first rounders for him if I thought I could do so.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Oh okay. Sorry, I thought you were in the "Don't trade up for Luck" group.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I wouldn't draft RGIII in the first round at all...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We've discussed this already, and I understand where you are coming from. I just disagree.

RG3 is raw, but, as weird as this may sound, fairly NFL ready. It has been proven time and time again that athleticism is key in determining a rookie QB's success. RG3 is already accurate, and he is smart as a whip. His arm is decent with the potential to be great, and his footwork needs improvement.

Right now, my biggest concern about Griffin is far and away his size. If he measures in at 6'2", my concerns regarding his height evaporate. He is still thin, though, and his durability is a bit of a question mark. But if he weighs in at 6'2", 220 pounds, I have no worries about him there.

Legend
Legend
Nope. If I could get Luck, I would do so.

I would also grab RG3 if Luck is not available. He's a risk, but we desperately need a great QB, and he could be a great one. He has bust potential ..... but he could also wind up being even better than Luck. If I cannot get Luck, I take RG3 and never look back. (especially if I can get him without moving up in the draft)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Worst case scenario for us, IMO is ending up with pick #4 and the top 3 picks being ..

1. Luck
2. Kalil
3. Claiborne

If that happened, I'd desperately try to trade down for someone who wants RGIII

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
How far do you think Landry Jones falls?

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Draft related, I wanna post this snippet from PFT. It helps express why myself and others are perfectly content to lose going down the stretch...
Quote:

Lions’ 0-16 season may all be worth it
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 26, 2011, 11:38 AM EST

Getty ImagesThree years after the Lions experienced the only 0-16 season in NFL history, they’re in the playoffs. And looking back at it, maybe that winless season was just what the franchise needed.

Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press has a rundown of the ways that terrible year laid the foundation for the Lions’ 2011 success, including:

1. The terrible start to that season was what finally convinced Lions owner William Clay Ford to fire team President Matt Millen and replace him with G.M. Martin Mayhew.

2. At the end of the 0-16 season the Lions fired head coach Rod Marinelli and replaced him with Jim Schwartz.

3. The Lions used the first overall pick in the 2009 NFL draft on quarterback Matthew Stafford. (Funny to remember now that a lot of people thought the safest pick for the Lions would have been linebacker Aaron Curry, whom the Seahawks selected fourth overall and who was traded to the Raiders for a seventh-round pick this season.)

So, in hindsight, the worst season in NFL history might have been what the Lions had to experience before they could turn things around. Just don’t expect Detroit fans to thank Millen any time soon.

And also, in a coincidence, it expresses why taking a QB when you don't have one is the right move.

(Keep in mind I'm not a "QB or bust" guy. My RG3 expressions revolved around why I'd take him over Barkley.)

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I can see why some love RG3 and you know why I have my doubts. The funny thing is, RG3 is still my 4th ranked QB and he is better than every QB drafted last year not named Cam and the only advantage Cam really has is size. Last year's draft may produce more 1st round busts than the 2005 draft.

I just think this year's QB class is being undervalued. Luck, Griffin, Tannehill, Jones, Manuel and even Foles has the potential to be a great QB. I'll be glad to eat my words on this if I am wrong but all of these kids has something special about their game. Last year's group, I still have no idea what they were thinking.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) 2012 Draft Continued

Link Copied to Clipboard