Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

That team that traded for him would restructure his contract, like the Chiefs did with Matt Cassel.

I was thinking that but is any of that count toward the cap or a portion? Normally the guaranteed money is what they are after, how much of that is guaranteed?

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
i dont believe a tag is garunteed until season start

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Is this something we didn't already know . . . ?

Free agency starts at 4:00 p.m. ET on March 13

Posted by Mike Florio on February 23, 2012, 1:50 PM EST

Getty ImagesBetween the usual habit of free agency launching at 12:01 a.m. ET and the complications associated with Leap Year, I had assumed that free agency would begin on the third Wednesday from now, at midnight.

Actually, free agency begins at 4:00 p.m. ET on the third Tuesday from now.

In past years, the process launched on a Friday. Which meant that, for the second and third days of the process, folks would typically have to use their own, non-work time to monitor the signings or lack thereof.

This year, Monday and Tuesday will feature the final hours of the build up, the gun will sound at 4:00 p.m. ET on Tuesday, and the rest of the week will entail all hell breaking loose.

We’ll be here to chronicle the breaking loose of all hell, at all hours of the day and night.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It is guaranteed as soon as the player signs it.

As for restructuring, what if he is traded to a team that he doesn't want to play for? Then he would have no incentive to sign a long term deal. He would just be a FA next season. The Packers would have to let teams negotiate with Flynn so that a long term deal can be arranged before the trade is made. Gives Flynn some power as to where he would be traded but would also hinder GB's trade options.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
jc

http://blogs.cantonrep.com/freshbrownies/cold-fact-for-colt-thats-life-in-the-big-city/

Things showing up on our radar based on conversations with the Browns and others:

• The brass will make a play for Matt Flynn. Mike Holmgren is no great fan of quarterback competitions. If he signs Flynn, it would be with the intention of starting Flynn. Flynn would be told so. Colt McCoy and Seneca Wallace would be told so.

• There will be a budget that will not be exceeded in the play for Flynn. Peyton Manning’s presence on the market drives down his price. The availability of Luck, Griffin and Tannehill in the draft also drive down the price.

That still leaves the Dolphins as a suitor … and as the likely lander of Flynn.

• Projecting quarterbacks is no exact science. It is a vital science, one the Browns must master. They think they’re pretty smart as a group, but they’re also crossing their fingers, knowing certain variables can bite a team in the butt.

• McCoy is 6-1. Flynn is 6-2.

Both were Texas high school QBs.

Flynn beat Ohio State in a national title game for LSU. McCoy got hurt in a national title game.

Flynn was born June 20, 1985. McCoy was born Sept. 5, 1986.

McCoy beat the Patriots in 2010. Flynn had nice numbers but lost to New England later in the year.

• McCoy has been getting in some hunting and fishing before resuming the grind of obsessing with his job.

• Pat Shurmur basically is telling McCoy that the threat of another QB coming in is life in the big city.

“My son is a freshman (quarterback) at (Lakewood) St. Ed’s,” Shurmur said. “I’m sure he’s watching who comes in.”

• Before leaving for the Combine, speaking of Robert Griffin III, Shurmur said, “I’ve never met the man.”

That will change shortly.

• The Browns don’t want a veteran wideout for the sake of saying they have one. Previously, they brought in Bobby Engram, one of Mike Holmgren’s old Seattle favorites, but he didn’t last long.

They’d prefer a veteran with some mileage left. The Ravens picked up Bedford native Lee Evans last year and barely used him — then he dropped a pass on a monster play in the AFC finals.

• The Browns weren’t willing to pay Jake Delhomme to be Colt McCoy’s mentor last year because it was judged he was out of gas as a performer. I half wonder if Delhomme would have been worth semi-big bucks. He had a calming influence on McCoy a year earlier.

Seneca Wallace is professional toward McCoy and is willing to help in some important ways, but McCoy and Delhomme were buddy-buddy.

• Some issues have to be sorted through with Eric Steinbach, but it sounds as though Shurmur wants him in the mix.

“I really liked what I saw the year before,” he said.

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
I hate, loathe, detest and despise the idea of Flynn in Cleveland, except as the visiting QB. I sincerely hope that the Dolphins swoop in with an offer he can't refuse.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

• The brass will make a play for Matt Flynn. Mike Holmgren is no great fan of quarterback competitions. If he signs Flynn, it would be with the intention of starting Flynn. Flynn would be told so. Colt McCoy and Seneca Wallace would be told so.

• There will be a budget that will not be exceeded in the play for Flynn. Peyton Manning’s presence on the market drives down his price. The availability of Luck, Griffin and Tannehill in the draft also drive down the price.

So we will make a play for him and there is a budget that is not to be exceeded. I take this to mean, we will call Flynn and say, "Three years, $20 million, $5 million guaranteed." If he accepts, great. We got a starting QB on the cheap. But it will probably take more than our budget allows us to sign him.

JE159 #653113 02/24/12 03:06 AM
C
Legend
Legend
C
LaRon Landry is a free agent. I think he works out.

cfrs15 #653114 02/24/12 03:35 AM
Legend
Legend
Is it just me or does his bicep look bigger than his shoulder or even either half of his chest?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

cfrs15 #653115 02/24/12 06:54 AM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Brady Quinn?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Peyton Manning’s presence on the market drives down his price. The availability of Luck, Griffin and Tannehill in the draft also drive down the price.

I don't understand this.. how does the availability of 3 potentially good QBs in the draft drive down Flynn's price? There are almost always at least 3 potentially good QBs in the draft.

yebat' Putin
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

I hate, loathe, detest and despise the idea of Flynn in Cleveland, except as the visiting QB. I sincerely hope that the Dolphins swoop in with an offer he can't refuse.

yt...not that it really matters how you feel about Flynn, I don't understand why any Browns fan would not want to consider him as a possibility for the Browns to explore.

Flynn probably knows more about the WCO the Browns are running than any other QB available in FA or the draft. He has shown he can run the offense and be very productive doing so.

If you were to compare RGIII to Flynn, concerning which one is most prepared to play in the Browns WCO, Flynn wins hands down.

It is true that we do not know the full potential of Flynn or RGIII, but more is known about Flynn's NFL potential than RGIIIs.

If the Browns were to sign Flynn and use their #4 and #22 draft picks to add quality draft picks at positions of need, the team is going to be at least a year ahead in the rebuilding process vs using the #4 and #22 to draft rookie QB RGIII.

If the Browns would sign Flynn in free agency, it might be the best move they could make to address the QB position and continue to build the Browns via the draft.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B

R
All Pro
All Pro
R
Browns want Flynn?

Its blog arctile from Steve Doerschuk (been a browns writer forever) and it makes too much sense

IMO the Pack is going to franchise Flynn so they dont lose him without compensation.

If Flynn was tagged and the Browns could send #37 and next years 2nd would you do it?

Legend
Legend
nope.

*edit* Sorry for being trite. If Flynn can be successful here, McCoy can be successful here IMO. We'd be better off improving the team with those two picks than making a lateralish move getting Flynn. IMO, the biggest things Flynn has over McCoy are:

1) More time in the system
2) better targets

Last edited by CleveSteve; 02/24/12 11:58 AM.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

nope.

Go Browns!!!
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

He has shown he can run the offense and be very productive doing so.

Gotta be careful there, Mac. He's started two games. One against a Pats day that nearly historically sucked, and another banged up due to injuries, and he did it with weapons that IMHO no other team in the NFL can match.

Yes, he's versed in the WCO, but he hasn't "shown" or "proven" anything, not with two starts under his belt.

Buyer beware on Flynn if for no other reason than he's a huge unknown.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
N
Legend
Legend
N
as a RGIII honk though, your opinion likely won't carry as much weight

i've probably been the most vocal Flynn supporter on the board. no way do I give the Packers 2 2nd round picks for Flynn + a big contract. too many question marks.

also, interesting article from AZ about how NFL contracts are even less guaranteed than we thought. this one on how Kolb actually only had his first season in AZ guaranteed (which is no risk to AZ because it's not like they would trade for him then cut him before he played)

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/KentSomers/155056

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

well there's that.

I think after it's measured, my opinion will carry more weight than people expect.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

well there's that.

I think after it's measured, my opinion will carry more weight than people expect.

adding 20lbs to your opinion is likely a negative though because it is expected it will also measure 2" shorter than is listed in your schools program.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
And Derek Anderson once put up 51 on the Bengals.

Look. you can say all you want to about Flynn, but he had about a dozen or so college games, and 2 NFL starts. There is NO way to know what he is with that background. None at all. You can speculate, but he is far, far riskier then any of the QBs available in the 1st and 2nd round of the upcoming draft because he had major questions coming into the league. and he has done NOTHING since. (and sorry, but 2 individual starts relieving a superstar QB mean absolutely nothing except that the defense figures they get a day off and take the day off in return) He has zero track record. That's not the kind of player I get excited about. That's the kind of guy I worry about. He has 569 pass attempts combined in the past 8 years. Think about that ....... a total of 569 pass attempts in 8 years, and some people want to turn the reins of the franchise over to him?

N
Legend
Legend
N
also, if the Flynn thing goes to a trade rather than FA, then things get real interesting.

you have:

1. Miami w/ HC Philbin and several other ex-GB coaches
2. Seattle w/ GM Schneider (ex-GB asst. GM)
3. Cleveland w/ Holmgren and ties back to GB still

then,
4. Washington w/ Shanahan running WCO-based system

#gmstrong
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Free Agents

Link Copied to Clipboard