Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Richardson’s impact goes beyond running
Posted by Bernie Kosar on May 4, 2012 – 5:44 pm

By Bernie Kosar, Special Contributor to ClevelandBrowns.com

Here are some highlights from my latest appearance on “Cleveland Browns Daily, Driven by Liberty Ford”:

There’s no doubt about the type of impact a great running back can have on a team’s success.

You look at Marshall Faulk when Kurt Warner came to St. Louis and the Rams won the Super Bowl. You look at Adrian Peterson when Brett Favre went to the NFC Championship game with the Vikings.

And I don’t want to put the pressure on Trent Richardson, but I believe he has the opportunity to be talked about in the same breath as those types of running backs. He has that many God-given gifts, abilities, along with tremendous passion for the game.

But when you have guys like that it makes defensive coordinators and defenses play that eighth man in the box, play that extra guy up there. It puts single coverage outside. It significantly simplifies pass defenses.

So, in turn, it actually makes it easier for your quarterback because he gets easier defenses to read. He gets one-on-one coverage, and then he has the ability to run the ball and be on the positive side in down-and-distance situations. And Trent is the kind of running back who doesn’t have to leave the field.

I’m a big fan of Trent’s coach at Alabama, Nick Saban, in terms of how he coaches and teaches his guys. His guys are NFL-ready and for a superstar runner like Trent to be not only a constant threat as a runner but to also have the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield and pass protect is something special.

To have someone back there who can pick up the linebackers, handle the blitzes, chip on offensive linemen and then release gives you the chance to play more of a well-rounded, physical game. And I really believe it makes the whole team a more physical, tougher – a more Cleveland-area type of approach.

I just think it’s going to add a lot of benefits to the team. web page

this was already posted on monday :P

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
to do that the QB and WR have to both make the correct reads

QB sees the CB is giving the out, so he throws the out.
WR doesn't read it right and continues on the fly.
Ball sails into empty green (if lucky)

if QB mis-reads, then the same holds true.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
However, last year our QB never even looked.

That's the whole point.

We passed up one on one opportunity after one on one opportunity after one on one opportunity ........

And occasionally, we passed up none on one opportunities. I will never forget seeing McCoy stare at the uncovered receiver ..... then ignore him to throw the ball short instead. I will never forget the announcers wondering what he was looking at, and how he missed a completely uncovered receiver running wide open down the field, and didn't even look at him.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Quote:

However, last year our QB never even looked.

actually, I was thinking about a goalline play to Hillis where the exact scenario I outlined above happened. Colt ended up throwing it into the green pasture as Hillis never made the sight-read (or Colt made the wrong one, they obviously don't tell us).

saying "our QB never looked" etc. is just silly and makes you seem petty. Our QB was a problem last year, our OL was a problem last year, our RBs were a problem last year, and our WRs were a problem last year. heck, even our TEs (w/ Watson out) were a problem last year.

hopefully, we have rectified some/most of those spots. we'll see.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
OK ... there were many times where the outside receiver was running against a single defender, and the QB never appeared to take a look, or even so much as a glance, in his direction.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There are many plays that I wish I could forget.

Honestly, I am just curious as to what type of impact the change at RB and QB will make. I am intrigued by the speed guys we have added in Benjamim, Saffold and RB Armond Smith from last year.

Richardson could have a big impact on this team. Biggest impact could be in the mentality. I believe our run blocking was wasted by backs that lacked burst and or vision. I feel our receiving options were wasted due to poor QB play. Apparently the front office felt the same thing.

I can't say I am excited about the prospects of this season but intrigue is certainly present.

E
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
E
The anticipation with Trent Richardson is that any of us could argue that the Browns have not taken a player with as much offensive talent in any draft in the last 13 years. He gives the Browns a dynamic back that, even though he's never set foot on the field, gives us options we simply did not have last year with Hardesty/Hillis/Obi taking the majority of the handoffs.

However, I think his attitude could be bigger than anything he does on the field. I love the attitude that Richardson carries with himself and we need the young players to come into Cleveland and help change a culture of losing and defeat that has hung over this team like a rain cloud over the last decade. It starts with the players, the fans will come around once the team starts playing better but if the players on the field aren't playing hard like they want to win, than how are the fans going to want to cheer for them?

Guys like Weeden and especially Richardson excude confidence that we have lacked on offense. I don't want to use the word swagger, because I hate that word (and I guess I just used it) but I want to think these rookies might bring some confidence and maybe some tenacity to our offence that we have lacked. Guys like Greg Little, and Benjamin as well who both seem to be "competitive" WR's rather than "ego's".

It's about changing the attitude just as much as it is about getting this team some actual talent. Trent Richardson is instrumental in this process, IMO.

Quote:

There are many plays that I wish I could forget.

Honestly, I am just curious as to what type of impact the change at RB and QB will make. I am intrigued by the speed guys we have added in Benjamim, Saffold and RB Armond Smith from last year.

Richardson could have a big impact on this team. Biggest impact could be in the mentality. I believe our run blocking was wasted by backs that lacked burst and or vision. I feel our receiving options were wasted due to poor QB play. Apparently the front office felt the same thing.

I can't say I am excited about the prospects of this season but intrigue is certainly present.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

If the receiver if covered over the top, then the ball is thrown under.

Colt did that several times and was blamed for underthrowing the receiver.

Quote:

It is the QBs responsibility to see the coverage and make a throw that takes the receiver away from coverage

Colt did that a few times as well and was accused of being inaccurate because the WR had to adjust his route.. when he didn't do it, he was accused of leading WRs into big hits.

yebat' Putin
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Colt did that a few times as well

Sure, over 16 games he did it a few times. To bad for him 85% of his throws were behind receivers.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Guys like Weeden and especially Richardson excude confidence that we have lacked on offense. I don't want to use the word swagger, because I hate that word (and I guess I just used it) but I want to think these rookies might bring some confidence and maybe some tenacity to our offence that we have lacked. Guys like Greg Little, and Benjamin as well who both seem to be "competitive" WR's rather than "ego's".

It's about changing the attitude just as much as it is about getting this team some actual talent. Trent Richardson is instrumental in this process, IMO.

As rookies, I do not expect Richardson or Weeden to become the leaders of the offense until they first, prove themselves on the field.

Just when a player earns the respect of his teammates cannot be predicted. It could happen on one play or one incident where leadership is earned by the example a player displays on the field.

The Browns are a very young team, one of the youngest in the NFL...and they are going to get younger with this draft. Before a player earns the respect of his teammates, he must first prove he can perform well on the field. How long that takes, maybe a few games...maybe a season..there no way to predict.

But once the leadership is earned and the offense/defense or entire team buys in, that is when the team will be in position to turn it around.

Many ask...when will the Browns win?

Giving that question some serious thought and reflection, the Browns will begin to win consistently when the players have had enough of losing.

Many of the Browns young guys come from successful college programs where they won more games than they lost. When a player is drafted, their first priority is to earn a spot on the team. Once they are comfortable with their place on the team and are excelling, their confidence grows and they earn a standing with their teammates.

Once a player is respected by his teammates because of the effort he gives on the field, he is in a position to take a leadership role... a leadership role that is earned and not given. The Browns may already have those leaders on defense but on offense, leadership is lacking.

As Browns fans, we need to understand what the experience level of this team is. The players need time to mature and gain the experience.

When will the Browns win?...when the players have had enough of losing.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Quote:

Colt did that a few times as well

Sure, over 16 games he did it a few times. To bad for him 85% of his throws were behind receivers.

More anectdotal BS... We get it... You don't like Colt McCoy (or as you so childishly call him, "cherub"). Unless Weeden busts in TC, you won't have to watch the guy any more. You and YTown should just be happy and let it go already. Good grief.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

If the receiver if covered over the top, then the ball is thrown under.

Colt did that several times and was blamed for underthrowing the receiver.

Quote:

It is the QBs responsibility to see the coverage and make a throw that takes the receiver away from coverage

Colt did that a few times as well and was accused of being inaccurate because the WR had to adjust his route.. when he didn't do it, he was accused of leading WRs into big hits.

Bull. You don't lead a receiver into a hit by throwing over the top against single cover. That's the whole point. You throw away from the coverage so that the receiver can make a play.

Further, it is possible to hit a receiver in stride, and with the ability to make a play after the catch by throwing the ball underneath. The better QBs in the NFL do it routinely.

A QB can throw a back shoulder throw where the receiver makes a stop and reaches back for the ball. I actually seem to recall seeing one or 2 of those last year, but nowhere nearly enough. Unfortunately, that's been a perfect wrap up to Colt McCoy's career ...... not nearly enough.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

TR was the best and safest pick for this team right now. Just as Thomas was when AP was on the board for us. Everyone wants 5-7 year stud production when picking in the top five . It doesn't mean its happening all the time, just that you have a better chance of getting it right.

Blackmon would have been OK by me, but I see a better chance of him being more like our Braylon Edwards long term, then I do T.R being our William Green.

No I don't see him being a Edwards..even long term..I see him being TO long term..and not the talent level..I actually have always felt Blackmon would be a above average receiver..even a impact one.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Trent Richardson goes from mean streets to a dream opportunity with Cleveland Browns: 'It's a miracle'
Richardson has set a clear goal for his NFL career. "I want to be the best running back ever to play the game," he said. "I want to make a difference in the community and never put myself first."
Related stories

BEREA, Ohio -- When Trent Richardson wasn't dodging bullets in his hometown of Pensacola, Fla., he was trying to prove wrong the doctors who told him he'd never run again and cope with being a dad at 16.

At one point, after his second ankle surgery and with a baby girl in his arms, he nearly gave up the game he loved so much. Luckily for the Browns, he didn't.

"It's a miracle that I've gotten to this point," he said. "Now that I'm here, I want to be remembered as the most dominant player to ever play the game."

Richardson grew up in the crime-ridden Warrington section of Pensacola, where drugs and death were common to kids.

"Most kids in my neighborhood don't make it to the age of 18," said Richardson. "Most are either in jail or dead. My brothers and I lost a lot of friends."

Richardson's mom, Katrina, sometimes worked three and four jobs to care for her three boys, Terrence, now 27, Terrell, 25, and Trent, 20. Their dad, Johnny Hale, wasn't around. A boxer with Olympic aspirations, Hale's dream ended when he was shot. He eventually died of lung cancer when Richardson was in 10th grade.

Katrina did what she could to make ends meet, working in restaurants, cleaning houses, working in old folks' homes and running her own daycare. She also helped raise nieces and nephews, and anyone in the neighborhood that needed a home.

"Sometimes we'd have eight kids at the same time," she said. "But I'd do anything for the kids."

Katrina kept her boys out of trouble with sports. Richardson started playing football at the age of six, and by the time he was in junior high, he was already becoming "The Beast" that would later be his nickname.

"I was coaching his brother, Terrell, and he'd say, 'you have to come see my little brother play seventh and eighth-grade ball,'" recalled Derrick Boyd, Richardson's former track coach and assistant football coach at Escambia High. "I went and watched and he was scoring six touchdowns a game."

Boyd, who became a father figure to Richardson, also noticed the obvious: Richardson's bowed legs and pigeon-towed gait, something he was often teased about.
richardson-mug-2012-minicamp-lt.jpgView full sizeLonnie Timmons III, PD"It's a miracle that I've gotten to this point," says Trent Richardson.

"It was the kind of thing that the family would've gotten corrected when Trent was little if they had more money and health care," he said.

Boyd stepped in and taught Richardson to run with a narrower base, his shoulders more square with his legs. He also had him run hills of sand known as the Bluffs as his thick calves rippled.

"Trent was a freak of nature, even as a young boy," said Boyd.

But in his freshman year at Escambia, he tore a ligament in his left ankle and hopped off the field.

"We were in a Wing-T offense running sideline to sideline and everybody knew I was getting the ball," Richardson recalled. "Two people dove at my ankles and then a couple more. When I tried to go back in, I said 'coach, I can't run.'"

Doctors at the famed Andrews Institute repaired the ligament with a screw and warned him the rehab would be difficult.

"But I came back stronger," said Richardson. "I couldn't play basketball that year, but I ran track, winning the district championships in the 100 meters."

Shortly after the surgery, Richardson discovered that his girlfriend was pregnant and that he'd be a father at 16. "I had to grow up fast," he said. "I was a child raising a child."

By then almost full-grown at 5-9 and a chiseled 200 pounds, Richardson worked relentlessly in the weight room and on the field. Early in his sophomore season, he tore the ligament in the right ankle and was back at the Andrews Institute, having another screw inserted.

"This time, they'd told me I'd never run again," he said. "I thought my football career was over."

Shortly thereafter, the first of his two daughters, Taliyah was born. The second, Elevara, now 3, came along when he was a senior.

"I was on crutches when Taliyah was born and I couldn't even hold her and walk with her," he said. "I had to sit in one spot the whole time."

Richardson was so discouraged that he almost quit football, but his family and coaches talked him out of it.

"My child was on the way, and football wasn't working out," he said. "I wanted to provide for my child, and I had to find a way to survive."
Trent Richardson at Cleveland Browns rookie minicamp Trent Richardson at Cleveland Browns rookie minicamp The Cleveland Browns rookies got on the field for the first time as their rookie minicamp began in Berea. Running back Trent Richardson talked with the media after the morning practice. Watch video

He thought about all the kids in Warrington selling drugs, the most common profession in the neighborhood.

"I was either going to hang out with the wrong crowd -- which I wasn't raised that way -- and try to get fast money or I could go make something out of myself, be a grown man and handle my responsibilities," he said. "I stepped up to the plate."

Defying the doctors again, Richardson returned to track that year and won districts in the 100 meters. "He was even faster than the year before," recalled Boyd.

That same year, Hale died of cancer. Although Richardson never really knew his father, he visited him on his deathbed. "It was a tough time," Richardson said. "My mom was both our mom and dad, but we needed a dad to show us man stuff."

Richardson worked his way back onto the football field as a junior, rushing for 407 yards and four touchdowns his first game out. Terrell gave him posters of star running backs, which were tacked up on a bedroom wall for motivation.

"People had been saying that Trent was soft, that he was fragile and that he couldn't handle contact," said Terrell, who played defensive end at Louisiana-Lafayette. "Tell Trent he can't do something and he'll prove you wrong."

His senior year, folks said the 407-yard game was a fluke, so he topped it with 419 yards and six TDs in a game. That season, he rushed for 2,090 yards and 26 TDs.

"Alabama gave me my first offer then all the other colleges starting giving me offers," Richardson said. "It was just a blessing."

After practice, Richardson would rush straight home to care for Taliyah and his young cousins, changing diapers and making dinners. "Trent is always the one who wants to take care of everybody," said Terrell.

With the Crimson Tide, Richardson had to wait his turn behind eventual Heisman winner Mark Ingram, but broke out in 2011 with 1,679 yards and 21 touchdowns, becoming a Heisman finalist and the top running back in the draft.

On draft day, he was flanked by his two daughters, who wear his jersey and kiss the TV when he's on.

"They're my little hearts," he said. "They're the reason I run so hard every play. I can't let any man take meals from my girls."

He also runs for his mom, who's battling Lupus and cancer. "I want to her have the best doctors possible," he said. "I don't want to her to struggle anymore, like she did while were growing up. I want to buy her a house and a car and thank her for everything she's done."

His mom, daughters and brother Terrell will live in Cleveland, and watch him live the dream.

"I want to be the best running back ever to play the game," he said. "I want a rushing title, and to be a Pro Bowler. I want to make a difference in the community and never put myself first. I want to be a real father figure, and I want people to remember my name long after I'm out of the game."

A game he almost never had a chance to play.
web page

Legend
Legend
tough kid.. made a couple of dumb moves as a kid getting his GF preggers.. twice. but at least he stood up and took responsibility

Sure looks like he's a fighter.. if he holds up,, we could have a heck of a player here..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Sure looks like he's a fighter.. if he holds up,, we could have a heck of a player here..

Daman...I agree with the comment..."if he holds up" .

Richardson is the type who needs to be protected from himself.

It's easy to see, he wants to go 100 mph, right out of the box. TR wants to be successful and is setting goals for himself that he might have found easy to achieve in HS and College...but this is the NFL, where young me like TR get chewed up and spit out of the league way too soon.

It looks like the coaching staff has a Lamborghini on their hands and they need to learn how to use (drive) it. Then the coaches need to help Richardson understand how to use his talent so he is not burned out or busted up in a year or two.

I want to Richardson at his best when the Browns are making a run at a Super Bowl...not necessarily this season.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
I want him to give it all he got every snap.. He's been playing that way forever, and thats the reason we drafted him at 3.. no need to change how he plays now.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
I think that guys probably get hurt more often worrying about not getting hurt than when they just play the game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think that guys probably get hurt more often worrying about not getting hurt than when they just play the game.

i agree w/ ya.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Trent Richardson - Browns - #3 Overall Pick

Link Copied to Clipboard