Print Thread
#775039 04/13/13 06:56 AM
K
kwhip Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
K
If we're looking for a potential future starting caliber QB to work with Chud and Turner. THIS is the dude we need to land. Hopefully not before round 4.

This is LONG with alot of film breakdown video. Posting the first part only. Hit the link for the video.

At worst we end up with a future #2. I sit him behind Weeden for 1-2 years and determine then what to do.

Pay close attention to "The Bad". These are things you Coach and we've got one of the best in the business in Turner. Many misinterpret "Staring Down Receivers". When you are running an offense that is majorly predicated on quick drops and release, you HAVE to stare down a receiver. He's the only one you're looking at. This is majorly fixable with Reps and Coaching.

http://cle.scout.com/2/1283076.html

THE GOOD

At 6’3” 231lbs, Zac has the build of an NFL QB with a frame that should allow him to add bulk and strength. On tape, Zac showcases tremendous touch and placement, often leading receivers perfectly on deep and intermediate passes both to the side line as well as on vertical routes. He possesses a strong arm with high and tight release. On more than one occasion during his film study I noted a pass that traveled more than 60 yards in the air, in stride to his WR. He showed an impressive ability to place the ball in spots where only his WR could make the catch. He showed what I felt was great accuracy on intermediate and deep passes but struggled more with short / timing routes.

Zac throws on the run extremely well and does so while maintaining his power and accuracy. It will be interesting to see how well he runs the 40 at his pro day because he doesn’t appear to be fast by NFL standards but does appear to have the confidence to run if and when needed. His ability to run and improvise will be seen as a plus by whichever team that drafts him.

Zac shares what I feel to be an eerily similar ability / appearance when evading pressure and extending a play like that of his Miami predecessor, Ben Roethlisberger. I see a little Brett Favre in him as well, not in terms of his arm strength, but in terms of his ability to make and extend plays. Similar to both aforementioned NFL QB’s, Zac makes plays with defensive linemen hanging on his legs, hanging on his jersey, or barreling straight down on him. He can shift his weight, his upper body, and his hips to elude the rusher and buy more time; all while keeping his eyes up field.

In 2012 it appears he played more from the shotgun but in 2011, as well as in his senior bowl practice tape, he shows the ability to play under center more than most might think -- including running an effective play action, bootleg and showing fluid 3, 5 and 7 step drops. He appeared to be able to read defenses from under center pre-snap and shows good football instincts and awareness. Zac appears to make good decisions with the football and when extending the play he is very aware his position inside/outside the tackle as it pertains to intentional grounding and gets rids of it when he can. He innately looks for the first down marker on scrambles and protects the ball.

THE BAD

If you watch the tape, many of his throws appear to be first reads or reads where he only looks at one half of the field. He will need to have sold NFL scouts on his ability to read zone defenses and go through his progressions. He didn’t show the ability to consistently shift the defense by looking off the play / or pump faking to move the safeties. It appears he stares down receivers from time to time as well. He has a tendency to sail the ball on short routes and can deliver the ball late and/or off target on some timing routes.

Zac tends to evacuate the pocket prematurely in favor of the run or to extend the play and while it’s hard to blame him given his offensive line at Miami, he won’t be able to do that in the NFL. While he has mobility and is great on the bootleg, he will need to build confidence in the pocket and strengthen his throwing technique and pocket movement: consistently stepping up, moving his feet and finding the play with his arm from the pocket.

Zac often took the ball from shotgun and took a single step drop, or simply pivoted, planted and threw. He will need to show that he can consistently take the ball from under center, drop from shotgun and step up in the pocket at the next level.

SUMMARY

While some may point to the talent gap and question the fact Zac’s production “only” came because played for Miami and was pitted against lesser talent, others may point to the growing list of NFL players that hail from the MAC and the fact that talent can come from anywhere. Nonetheless, Zac Dysert is an intriguing NFL prospect who has flown under the radar. He brings a strong skill set into the draft and has the production that NFL scouts will want to see. He’s big, mobile, and has a strong arm with the accuracy to drive the ball into any window at the next level if provided a pocket to throw from. I believe he becomes even more effective on bootleg plays where I feel he can throw on the run better than anybody in this year’s draft.

A GM will have to believe that Zac can consistently develop the ability to make multiple reads and progressions at the NFL level / speed and that he can quickly absorb; adapt; and implement new coaching. He will need to work on and improve his timing routes which should get better with practice and building rapport with his receivers.

While Zac does bring great football instincts and an ability to extend the play while under duress, he will have to prove that he can consistently stick in the pocket, adjust to the pocket and make plays with his arm.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I really wanted to like him, as I've read a lot of good stuff about him, but he's a "paper tiger" imho....people probably highlight the positives because he's an easy to like low odds guy from a MAC team, a good story, but I just don't see it after Roethli etc

Watched the Boise game and he made some horrible throws. He's behind L.Jones and Bray for me, 5th round project

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
My policy is: 1st round QB or bust! (quite literally).

E
Legend
Legend
E
QB is the hardest position to evaluate. Now Colleges have abandoned their Run Run Run...offenses n have gone to first a pro-style but have quickly gone to the Urban Myers or versions of the Spread, Pistol, whatever in Shotgun. So now there is more tape on the ARM n Accuracy thing....but its hard to evaluate cause in college you are taught to hit the OPEN WR...coming into the NFL it becomes hit the WR w/one on one coverage. If you wait for separation the speed of the NFL will close in before the ball arrives.

In the NFL Defenses have the best of the best - and lets not forget the SPEED. OF EVERYONE. DTs run faster than the LBs Dysert is use to playing against. CBs n Safeties.

Honestly...All "BAD" is coach-able what teams cannot evaluate is which QB is going to be able to handle the amazing change of venue and transition.

Look at Kaepernick as an example. There was a kid with a very strong arm. But his Throwing technique was TERRIBLE a big time NO NO in evaluating QBs. He had a baseball throw big time - way worse than Weeden. I was shocked when he stepped onto the field as Smith got hurt n played the way he did. Amazingly coached up and his throwing motion was amazingly Improved. So there probably is not one "BAD" that cannot be coached out of. Of course Noodle arm not much you can do about that. But that is easily evaluated n very few of them go into the draft n if they do they don't get drafted.

But note Kaepernick was succesful cause he was a good student more important he was not thrown into the fire. All these Bozo's n Talking Head's debating sit a prospect or throw him into the fire...I laugh at the ones who state throw him into the fire and we are talking about ex-football players but rarely will it be an ex-QB. In the past the First Round early picks QB as contracts escalated crazily it forced teams to have to start n get the worth out of those QBs. Couch, Carr paid dearly for that as they had no chance to be coached up n put into an environment that could only fail. Who knows how either would have turned out if they were sat 2-3 years (old school norm) and build an OL n other Impact positions to help in the process. Actually it was Marino that changed this sit n learn concept as he sprung onto the NFL as a ROOKIE...of course being the last pick in the draft he was going to a Super Bowl Ready team. Ever since then teams have thrown their high picked QBs into the fray cause they were paying them as Franchise QBs as the contracts grew.

Those who got onto SB ready teams did well...them who got onto poor talented teams got killed. Payton succeeded cause the year before him Tarik Glenn was brought onto the team. I cringe right now as one of the absolute best tooled no miss QBs to come along - LUCK got killed last season...He gets killed 3-5 seasons he will be done. Keep in mind he was the MOST HIT QB in 2012. He is big strong n tough...but its a matter of time n we have seen how one INJURY can ruin a QB. Carson Palmer for example, I thought this kid was the best or one of the best talented QB in his time - up there with Payton, Brady, etc. Then he got that left leg destroyed (by the Steelers) and he has never been the same. Couch had about 5-10 injuries none by themselves career ending I know he gets a bad rap on his "BAD" but he never was able to get coached up properly - I remember he was never allowed to step up n make a throw...breaking his thumb, but so many INTs came when he couldn't follow through on throws. Point I'm making is you need the proper environment - its best to Coach them up and prepare them without throwing them into the fire as a starter a.s.a.p.

I think we have a very good environment here. Weeden was thrown into the fire. His age not draft status sort of negates the sit him n have him learn scenario so he can survive as he has the environment. Good OL to protect. Good RB - WRs to grow with.

But he still has to LEARN the NFL Position like all QBs do.

We will pick a QB somewhere in this draft. We know up front there is not strength in QB prospects - if they don't go early anyways a pretty decent QB can drop to us in the 3rd n 4th rounds that actually are the BPA at their slot n a good pick. Dysert, Wilson, Glennon, etc. Prospects who have the arm and need to be coached up to negate the "BAD" - they of course are signed for 3 years if they start to develop after year two you can easily extend that contract at a reasonable price considering there is not many starts or reps in Game time.

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Zac Dysert QB Miami OH.

Link Copied to Clipboard