Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

There is no scenario in this draft that I would want us to pick a QB in the 1st round - We do not have an established Franchise QB but that doesn't mean we do not have a prospective Franchise QB. We do not have URGENT NEED. There really is no QB in this draft that would step up n provide a better chance to win then what we got. In lieu of that - 3rd round or later could be where the strength of this QB class is.

I'm hoping a Wilson, Glennon or Nassib will be there. All will depend how far the top 3 drop. Geno, Barckley n Manuel. But if we amass all those 2nd round picks by dropping back. I still do not want a QB investment in the first round.

JMHO

I'm going to disagree with you on this one Tab. Ironically I use to think QB was less a piece until you convinced me otherwise a few years ago! I don't think Weeden is the answer. If my assumption is correct, Browns draft either Smith or Manuel at #6.

Biggest indicator is Browns aggressively conducting visits and/or workouts with the following: Matt Scott; Geno Smith; EJ Manuel; Ryan Nassib; Matt Barkley. Lombardi said in his presser they are simply doing their do-diligence on every position. Really? How many running backs have they worked out? 1-Jamaine Cooke Youngstown St. How many TE's? 3-Gavin Escobar San Diego St.; Travis Kelce Cincinnati; Cordale Scott Toledo. Lombardi put a bigger emphasis on QB then TE, which was stated a high priority by many.

My gut tells me Browns draft EJ Manuel if he still is on the board at #6. Realistically I think Geno Smith goes to Jacksonville and EJ Manuel goes to Philly. Teams needing a QB either have a veteran or got one. Browns brought Campbell to camp. Manuel has a lot of similarities as Phillip Rivers...shotgun thrower; arm strength ;tall; physical; leadership. I also think Lombardi's ego comes into factor stating Weeden wasn't good enough.

Legend
Legend
I read that article and really don't know what to make of it.

if you listen to folks on here, Manuel sucks. Some on here have likened him to another DA. Strong arm, bad accuracy etc etc.

He's supposed to have (according to his article) the same skills as Cam Newton. Makes you wonder how anyone can say bad things about him if that's even remotely accurate.

Sometimes I wonder what the odds are if I just stand up and say that everyone sucks.. I think I'll be right more times than I'm wrong.. LOL

What, 300 new player join the league every years. I'd have to think that most fail.. I'd have to be right more than I'm wrong.. hell of a strategy

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

if you listen to folks on here, Manuel sucks. Some on here have likened him to another DA. Strong arm, bad accuracy etc etc.

Remember what everyone said about McNabb. If I recall, people said physically built, mediocre arm, and non-accurate. Strange Banner was in Philly drafting McNabb. Is Manuel similar to McNabb? One plus for Manuel he has a strong arm. I haven't done it. Has anyone looked at Florida State? Did Manuel make those receivers better than they were? Did Seminoles have a running game? How good was their OL?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Remember what everyone said about McNabb. If I recall, people said physically built, mediocre arm, and non-accurate. Strange Banner was in Philly drafting McNabb. Is Manuel similar to McNabb? One plus for Manuel he has a strong arm. I haven't done it. Has anyone looked at Florida State? Did Manuel make those receivers better than they were? Did Seminoles have a running game? How good was their OL?

I really like Manuel, and if we acquire a #2 I would love to see us take him ... He could learn behind Weeden and be next in line ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
E
Legend
Legend
E
Yeah Wilson grew on me...I do like the throws of Glennon but the accuracy (footwork) of Wilson made me think he was a good prospect.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
B
Rookie
Rookie
B
Pastor, I wish your scenario would work but EJ Manuel definitely will be selected within the top 20 players.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Wilson throws a lot of wobblers and in this division I want someone that can spin it into the wind. Everyone has their own favorites in this draft and it really is anyones guess. I like Jones, Manuel, Bray and I like Barkley just not for the Browns.

Legend
Legend
Reading this article, this thing that kept jumping into my head is "golly, we're showing a lot of interest right before the draft.... I wonder why, unless a team in the range we're wanting to trade down to might want him".

I'd say that you can look for us to trade down with the Eagles.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
The most logical answer for us showing interest in a QB at this time is to make people ancy. More likely that they'd consider a trade up to take a QB ahead of us. Meaning someone we may covet falls(Milliner,Ansah??).

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I'd gladly take him in the third. No sooner.

If we traded down in round 1, drafted in round 2, & then traded up into the 2nd & took him, I probably wouldn't care either...

E
Legend
Legend
E
If there is not a run on QBs - I think there might be an excellent value pick for QB at our 3rd round slot. Glennon, Nassib - look right now its the Bozo's n Talking Heads...Speculating with every team as they work out a QB...Buffalo works out Nassib n all of a sudden they are talking about the Bills taking Nassib at overall #8??? Really not for their 2nd round pick???

I mean QB position you never know. There could be a run where 3-5 are taken in the first round (hope we are not one of them) All depends on the Eagles if they take Geno or Manuel for that matter...if Chip wants one of them I'm sure they will go get em cause they are committing to that System! If so then you might see Buffalo n a couple of more taken in the first.

If not and they start to drop with none taken...the further they drop the more we are heading into teams with good records which usually means they got their Franchise QB...the run might be in the 2nd round.

Which if so a good prospect that would be considered a steal would be available in the 3rd round. Glennon sitting back perfecting his technique a couple of seasons. Wilson...someone mentioned fluttering the ball??? didn't see that would mean something if he has a Small Hand. Nassib? Bray? I think we are working out 5 or so QBs.

The only scenario I see us taking a QB in the First is if we dropped back not ONCE...but TWICE - maybe back to 12 n then back again to 49ers. This is a very weird draft is all I will say!

I'd love a LG n a TE for the O.
I'd love a Edge Rusher extraordinaire OLB, CB n FS for the D.

I think we WILL take a Developmental QB as for draft purposes we actually might get a Steal in the 3rd???

Who knows about this draft...Every pick in the Top 10 seem UP IN THE AIR...usually by now with obvious slotting we sort of know who is being taken TOP 5-7.

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
I have the Chargers trading up into the end of the second for him in my mock.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
We didn't work out Manuel to take him sixth overall. I feel he was being looked at in case of a trade down scenario. He is not a top 10 pick. Now somebody will prolly take him in the mid to late first but he is a 2nd round talent IMO.
More less jocking for draft positions is what I think we doing!

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Teams are loading up. The new rookie salary structure combined with the success of the Julio Jones trade for the Falcons has teams at the back wanting to get that top 10 pick.

Every NFL draft instinct says we are trading back into the end of round 1 and I think it is going to be a trade with Chargers or Phins and then it will be followed with the Falcons or 49ers.

I have no problem with that philosophy especially in this draft. It is funny but at the end of the first, you could find your top rated QB, RB, TE, S, OG and possibly even your top rated Corner all still available.

say we trade down with Phins then 49ers. You can take your developmental QB and have him secured for 5 years at a super low cost. You can take a guard like Warford that Norv really likes and give Richardson a beast in the middle of that line. Hell, Moore, Werner, Collins, Carradine are some of your best pass rushers and we could see those guys at the end of the first.

Weird draft folks gonna be fun but would be more fun if I was in chat instead of at work Thursday and Friday nights.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

We didn't work out Manuel to take him sixth overall. I feel he was being looked at in case of a trade down scenario. He is not a top 10 pick. Now somebody will prolly take him in the mid to late first but he is a 2nd round talent IMO.
More less jocking for draft positions is what I think we doing!

I'm not so sure. Manuel, and many other QB's this draft, are not seen as starters right out the gate, but up until last season it was rare any QB started right away. It is even more rare a QB is successful his first season without heavy support. You also have to weigh investing in rookies make it easier to take a chance.

After Browns picked up Campbell. I thought it was an odd combination. When I read...

Quote:

"I think coach Chudzinski sees a lot of Cam in me, so that's kind of in my favor as far as being a guy that's very similar to Cam's playing style,” Manuel told the Cleveland Plain-Dealer. “Coach Chudzinski did a great job with Cam, and you saw how well he transitioned to the pros. He was Rookie of the Year and a Pro Bowl (quarterback).”

I started thinking Campbell makes a lot more sense. Only other team I see where Manuel fits is Philly. If Eagles do pass, I see Browns making a trade down 5 or 6 spots. It will depend on how soon Geno Smith is taken. It would not surprise me one bit Browns make a trade even with Milliner available at #6.

If Browns do take Manuel, I believe Lombardi tries to trade Weeden for a second or third round pick. Everyone keeps saying value is in the second and third rounds. Browns FO did a lot a homework on QB's. Lombardi said he was doing his do-diligence. Funny he didn't make the same commitment toward RB's and very little on TE's.

One last thing leads me to believe Browns may take Manuel. They looked only at Milliner and not Xavier Rhodes or D.J. Hayden. They primarily looked at DB's projected to go in the second and third round. If the don't get Manuel, I predict they draft a OLB.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

On the EJ Manuel question - when are the Browns and their fans going to understand that until they complete the rebuild proiject and get players playing positions where they produce - no QB is going to be successful in Cleveland.

It's time to quit talking about a QB and start fixing the other parts of this team that need fixed. Truefully, the Browns offense still needs a true #1 WR - like it or not. The Browns are still suspect at G and it needs to be addressed. QB might or might not be a question but until the rest of the team gets fixed how do we really know?

Right, because the Colts had pro-bowlers at every other position when Peyton started and the Patriots were a juggernaut when Brady took over and the Steelers were 2 deep at every position when Big Ben came in, and the Redskins before RGIII, etc, etc...... Bullcrap. People need to stop confusing the fact that we keep drafting the WRONG quarterback with the fact that we aren't ready for a quarterback.

The Colts didn't go from 10-6 to 2-14 and back to 11-5 because the other 10 players on the offense suddenly got horrible for a season.. they did it because the other players were pretty good and the QB went from great to horrible and back to pretty darn good. The Browns are young but fairly talented, a good QB would make a world of difference with the talent we have right now... maybe it's Weeden, maybe it's not.. but stop complaining that our WRs aren't great and we are a little thin at OG...

Simple fact is that Marvin Harrison had not had a 900 yard receiving season before Manning got there, Marshall Faulk was ok but nothing special, Ken Dilger was their TE, Sean Dawkins was their other WR.... they had zero pro-bowl players on the offense... in comes Manning and all of the sudden Harrison is a star, Faulk is a star, everybody on the offense is a star.. why is that? It ain't because everybody else suddenly got great, it's because the QB helped make them great. We have plenty of young offensive talent that to this point is largely unrealized, waiting for high level play from the QB and a competent coaching staff...

I don't want a QB this year for two reasons.. 1 is I'd like to give Weeden another year and 2 is because I don't see any that I like in the draft... pretty simple.. the fact that our OGs aren't great plays no part in it.

yebat' Putin
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Weeden wasn't Luck or Griffin, but how many QBs stack up against those two guys, Cam, but in last ten years, who else.....NO ONE, so Weeden wasn't too bad and Shurms O didn't fit Weeden......having written that.....we are into another regime and they can do what they want.....Manuel ain't polished, but he comes from great program and he's a stud......I wouldn't mind having him on the roster at all......especially if the coach and front office want him......Go Browns!!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

Right, because the Colts had pro-bowlers at every other position when Peyton started and the Patriots were a juggernaut when Brady took over and the Steelers were 2 deep at every position when Big Ben came in, and the Redskins before RGIII, etc, etc...... Bullcrap. People need to stop confusing the fact that we keep drafting the WRONG quarterback with the fact that we aren't ready for a quarterback.

The Colts didn't go from 10-6 to 2-14 and back to 11-5 because the other 10 players on the offense suddenly got horrible for a season.. they did it because the other players were pretty good and the QB went from great to horrible and back to pretty darn good. The Browns are young but fairly talented, a good QB would make a world of difference with the talent we have right now... maybe it's Weeden, maybe it's not.. but stop complaining that our WRs aren't great and we are a little thin at OG...

Simple fact is that Marvin Harrison had not had a 900 yard receiving season before Manning got there, Marshall Faulk was ok but nothing special, Ken Dilger was their TE, Sean Dawkins was their other WR.... they had zero pro-bowl players on the offense... in comes Manning and all of the sudden Harrison is a star, Faulk is a star, everybody on the offense is a star.. why is that? It ain't because everybody else suddenly got great, it's because the QB helped make them great. We have plenty of young offensive talent that to this point is largely unrealized, waiting for high level play from the QB and a competent coaching staff...

I don't want a QB this year for two reasons.. 1 is I'd like to give Weeden another year and 2 is because I don't see any that I like in the draft... pretty simple.. the fact that our OGs aren't great plays no part in it.

Attention: Intelligent Thinking Right Here!!!

This same discussion went on relentlessly on the other board. People fail to understand only two HOF receivers ever made a terrible QB great and those two were Stallworth and Swan. Funny it took two HOF receivers to make Bradshaw look good. I sure hope Bradshaw is forking out serious coin to those two guys. Oh by the way, you throw in a HOF offensive line, running back, and third best defense ever. I still question the validity of HOF inductees.

One other team you forgot to mention...Cardinals. How much did Fitzgerald help that gang of num nut QB's. Amazing how well Fitzgerald performed working with Kurt Warner.

Ooopss...agree with everything but that last paragraph. Weeden? I'm not so sure.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Mr Kelso, If E.J. Manuel is going to be their franchise quarterback then they better not trade back and risk some other team selecting him. Hope that he is there at 6, take him 6th overall and wait until late in the 2nd day for that next pick to come up.

Wow! That would be tough medicine to take, the majority here would be up in arms with hate, but if EJ Manuel is that good and he ends up being all that.

Well then sometimes you just have to take the medicine and live with it.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Well I have heard Lombardi say many times, "The worst mistake a new head coach can make is not drafting a new quarterback". Now you can't just draft a new QB to draft a new QB. That is why we have Ponder, Locker, Gabbert, Cam all drafted in the top 15. Cam worked out only because Chud redesigned his offense to fit him.

Anyway none of those guys should have gone in the first as all were developmental QBs. This class imho is better than that class and none should be drafted in the first. That however is probably one of the reasons why we are working so hard to trade down and get that 2nd rounder.

Fortunately there are now a few teams working to get up So we will see how it goes.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
This draft may get pretty exciting this year. Teams up top want to move down while teams in the middle want to move up. Draft might get better then WS of poker!! If Lombardi does not go QB, he definitely shows he will use visits and workouts to bluff.

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
draft him at 6 then play him that way we get 1st overall next year.

S
Legend
Legend
S
I like him a lot as a 2/3 round pick. I think he needs at least a year on the bench, and another 1-2 years of growing pains before you could really judge him. He's a project, but not a huge project.

If we stay at 6, draft someone there, and don't pick again until the 3rd, do you really want to draft someone who shouldn't be on the field at all? That's assuming he's even there. I still think you can get contributors in that part of the draft, and sometimes even get lucky and get a good starter.

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
excellent thought but I am a firm believer when life deals you lemons you make lemonade.
2 If you feel he is the right guy then draft him and play him period dont hedge bets for every aaron rodger there is two matt ryans.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Well, Manuel is gone and it was a controversial pick - not surprising though. I think the lack of any other QB taken in the 1st round tells you that the majority of the teams in the NFL have determined this QB class is weak - Buffalo making a huge reach (much like Cleveland normally does) is going to come back and bite them.

The Browns missed on trading back or maybe actually got the guy the always wanted. I have been posting that the Browns were hurting for certain at DE. It would appear that Horton and the crew believed so too. So the Browns drafted Mingo to fill that void. This brings me back to what I've been saying all along, the Browns have too many interior lineman and most are questionable as to being able to convert to DE or in Sheard's case OLB.

This is the perfect setup for the Browns to make the move and trade Rubin now to get back into the 2nd round. Rubin is the only player of the DL front that can get the Browns back into the 2nd round. Let's not kid ourselves, CB is a huge need on this team and I don't believe the Browns will want to wait until the 3rd round to get a shot at a CB. With 2 safetys and 4 CB's already off the board in the first 32 picks, it would appear that getting back into the 2nd round for a CB would become critical at this stage.

The top 4 CB's left on the board are:
Taylor, Boise St
Banks, Miss St
Alford, SE LA
McFadden, San Diego St

There's a huge drop off after that so if the Browns are looking at CB then they need to make some kind of move to get back into the 2nd round and I think it will take trading Rubin to do that.

I think we also have to keep in mnd that if the rumors are true about us potentially going after Miami WR Bess then it will cost us a late round pick. Though not popular at all, I think the Browns have to pull the trigger of trading Rubin to get back into the 2nd round to get a much needed CB. The positives are the Browns can unload a 6 plus million dollar contract and address a serious need at CB. The negatives are the Browns lose a great DT. However, Winn, Hughes, and Taylor have been great finds and Rubin will not be missed as much as people might think. Not getting a CB to play opposite Hayden will be a huge void in the defense. Sometimes you have to make tough decisions - question is will the Browns pull the trigger or will they take a chance on being continually burned in the passing game much like they were in 2012?

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

The Browns missed on trading back or maybe actually got the guy the always wanted. I have been posting that the Browns were hurting for certain at DE. It would appear that Horton and the crew believed so too. So the Browns drafted Mingo to fill that void. This brings me back to what I've been saying all along, the Browns have too many interior lineman and most are questionable as to being able to convert to DE or in Sheard's case OLB.

This is the perfect setup for the Browns to make the move and trade Rubin now to get back into the 2nd round. Rubin is the only player of the DL front that can get the Browns back into the 2nd round. Let's not kid ourselves, CB is a huge need on this team and I don't believe the Browns will want to wait until the 3rd round to get a shot at a CB. With 2 safetys and 4 CB's already off the board in the first 32 picks, it would appear that getting back into the 2nd round for a CB would become critical at this stage.

If anyone gets traded, I'd imagine it would be Sheard. You say that the Browns have too many interior linemen and most are questionable if they can convert.

Then, the one guy we're sure can convert is the one you want to trade? That just makes no sense to me.

If I'm trading a guy, I'm trading the one that we aren't sure about. Reuben has played a bunch of different defenses and played pretty well in all of them.

But if we trade Sheard I hope it's for a high (close to now) 2nd round pick. He's a young starting 4-3 DE. And even at that, I'm not sure if that's what we want to do. I kinda want to see if Sheard can make the switch, he's a good football player: he might just be able to do it

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Thoughts on E.J. Manuel QB/Florida State and trade down scenario?

Link Copied to Clipboard