OP Offline
Dawg Talker
R
Pretty good read.

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=16911

Joe Banner "In The Driver's Seat" of NFL Draft
Apr 25, 2013 -- 3:16pm

By: Will Burge

Are you confused about what the Browns will do with the sixth overall pick in the NFL draft? Don’t worry, so is everyone else.

A league source told ESPN Cleveland today that Joe Banner is “in the driver’s seat” for the entire 2013 draft.

There has been a cloud of secrecy over the Browns’ organization for the past few months. No one can quite get a read on which direction the new front office will go when it is their turn to select. Over the past 72 hours there has been a flurry of rumors about who the Browns will select, their desire to trade up, their desire to trade down, and even their desire to acquire players from other teams.

“When Joe (Banner) came back into the league with (the Browns) everyone knew they were going to have to deal with him. I don’t think anyone expected it to be on this level,” said the league source. “He has every team thinking something different, he has every media outlet reporting something different, and he is loving every second of it.”

When Banner was with the Philadelphia Eagles, he was known for hardnosed contract negotiations and getting players to earn their money. Now it seems as though he is earning his.

“He has contacted almost every team in the draft about a multitude of different scenarios,” said the league source. “He is playing them like a fiddle.”

When Joe Banner and Michael Lombardi held their pre draft press conference one week ago, Banner admitted that he has talked to just about every team in the draft about possible trade scenarios. He indicated that as the draft moved closer, those talks would become more specific. Those “more specific” conversations seem to be the root of the rumors swirling around the team.

While the league source did praise Banner for his manipulation the likes of which he had not seen in over twelve years being involved in the league, he also cautioned that it does not necessarily translate into a successful draft class.

“You want to have all options open in this thing,” said the league source. “You want people on their toes. But in the end, if you don’t take advantage of the opportunities you have created, then it was all for not.”

So while Joe Banner has dominated the pre-draft mystery competition, he still has to prove himself once the team is officially on the clock, no matter where and when that might be.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

There has been a cloud of secrecy over the Browns’ organization for the past few months. No one can quite get a read on which direction the new front office will go when it is their turn to select.

It's funny, you read that, then you see various media types quoting unnamed sources telling us who the Browns are going to take. LOL

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
C
Legend
Legend
C
It seems like the pre-draft deception would be right up Banner's alley. But can he make the right pick?

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

There has been a cloud of secrecy over the Browns’ organization for the past few months.

J/K

Maybe it's becuase were all hiding from the FBI.....

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Banner is a business man who fancy's himself a football guru.....

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

And we'll find out whether or not he can do both.

Tackles are tackles.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Kind of like a lot of people on this message board

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

True... but, we've actually been doing it longer.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

There has been a cloud of secrecy over the Browns’ organization for the past few months. No one can quite get a read on which direction the new front office will go when it is their turn to select.

It's funny, you read that, then you see various media types quoting unnamed sources telling us who the Browns are going to take. LOL

If you think about it, who would know how to manipulate the media better then Lombardi? Makes some sense.

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

True... but, we've actually been doing it longer.

And we slept in a lot of Holiday Inns..

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

No one can quite get a read on which direction the new front office will go when it is their turn to select.

Let's hope that's not due to the Browns themselves not knowing which direction to go.....

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If you think about it, who would know how to manipulate the media better then Lombardi? Makes some sense.

that kinda makes sense, except I don't think he's smart enough.. it seems as if Banner might be..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

that kinda makes sense, except I don't think he's smart enough.. it seems as if Banner might be..

If there in the drivers seat lets hope there not drinking and driving ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I just love you guys.

What is a positive article turns into more slamming of our FO.

Substitute Banner's name for Heckert and Holmgren--and go back a year--and you all would all be singing their praises about what geniuses they are.

Pfffttt.......your agendas are hateful and w/out warrant.

I, for one, am excited to have the "bean counter" here. The guy is extremely intelligent. He has been very successful. I think it is absolutely great that we're reading that he might trade up, he might trade down, he might acquire players via trade, he might draft this guy, that guy, etc.

I have heard more stories about the Browns this year due to his genius of playing the game. But let's just bash the guy and make fun of the situation.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

The guy is extremely intelligent. He has been very successful.

Intelligent, no question; successful, open to debate. By 9pm tonight, we should have a better feel. Unless, of course, Lombardi pushes for a FG kicker...j/k

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

I have heard more stories about the Browns this year due to his genius of playing the game.

What evidently, do you consider Banner's genius of playing the game?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Vers,

Why is it wrong to question the new FO?

If there are no questioning voices...we all look like this guy.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
jc

Banner is in the drivers seat, I hope he can reach the pedals.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
This is how I picture most of the board.

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Vers,

Why is it wrong to question the new FO?

If there are no questioning voices...we all look like this guy.

Nothing wrong w/that. The issue is that it was a positive article. He did what he was supposed to do. He played everyone perfectly. He gets credit from NFL guys, but all you guys do is rip him, rip him, trash him, and trash him some more.

That's what's freaking wrong w/it.

There is nothing good about CONSTANTLY RIPPING anyone. There is a difference between questioning and ripping.

The Big Show took vacations during the SEASON and not a word from you guys. Banner does his job and manipulates the rest of the NFL, and you STILL criticize him.

Hypocritical BS!

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

The Big Show took vacations during the SEASON and not a word from you guys. Banner does his job and manipulates the rest of the NFL, and you STILL criticize him.

I remember a vocal majority ripping on Holmgren. How can you even say that about here? Isn't that when you were active at Browns Chat?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
many of us criticized Hoilmgren et al for what we thought were bad decisions, we criticized Mangini as well, hell I criticised Blanton Collier, I will be critical of Banner as well if I deem it necessary.

So far except for the LOmbardi and Phil Dawson decisioins I have liked about everything

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Vers, considering Banner learned every thing he knows about football from Tom Heckert and Andy Reid(a Holmgren acolyte)it's interesting you have vowed everlasting faithfulness to Banner while showing complete and utter contempt for both Heckert and Holmgren.

We had an excellent draft last year. Compared to the 09 draft, all three Heckert drafts were GENIUS.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Vers, considering Banner learned every thing he knows about football from Tom Heckert and Andy Reid(a Holmgren acolyte)it's interesting you have vowed everlasting faithfulness to Banner while showing complete and utter contempt for both Heckert and Holgren

can learn a lot from other peoples mistakes.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Legend
Legend
This scares the crap out of me. I love the coaching staff but our front office scares me to death.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Well, if the process is as it has been described to us, then the coaching staff has, essentially, a veto over any pick.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Oh lord I hope you are rihgt but Lombardi has been invloved in 17 drafts over the years but he has screwed 16 of them up.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
my worst fears come to life. We finally gain some great coaches but then we get stuck with idiots running the draft...

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Legend
Legend
The coach had veto power over the pick.

Just saying.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
Don't be so sure

Legend
Legend
I am pretty damn sure.

Chud isn't your "usual" first time "offensive" coach. He had specific ideas as to what he wanted on offense. I think that he was completely behind this pick.

Legend
Legend
Like I said bro don't be so sure

Legend
Legend
I am fairly sure.

Chud seems to be a guy who knows that being able to stop the opposing QB is vital today. He spoke eloquently about how he has had the most trouble with 3-4 teams who send waves of pass rushers at the QB.

We are now one of those teams that can send waves of players after the opposing QB.

I like the pick, and like it more listening to Chris Fedor on the Plain Dealer's website.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Quote:

I remember a vocal majority ripping on Holmgren. How can you even say that about here? Isn't that when you were active at Browns Chat?

Ahh, I see. It isn't about reality or facts, it is about agenda.

The difference is that I only ripped H and H AFTER they screwed up. You guys are ripping them on an article where AN NFL EXEC PROPS BANNER.

How the heck do you not see the difference?

I know how. You're full of crap w/your agenda.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Love this article. Sounds like he is working hard. How can I not love that. If he takes a vacation in the middle of the season, I'll have questions but for now, the man is putting in work. The last guy everyone hated around here was Eric Mangini, I liked him.

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Joe Banner "In the Drivers Seat" of NFL Draft

Link Copied to Clipboard