Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I agree. I would also bring him in. I was just trying to think of alternatives to cutting him.

I don't think 7th rounders demand much guaranteed money to begin with. Now....maybe you guarantee a Delta ticket home and a few thousand in expense money to keep him working towards a football career over the next few months.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Some people are always looking for an excuse to fail. I said the same thing with Gordon in that he was looking for a way to flop. Seeing a shrink, getting his mind right helped him. I think Bryant is doing the same thing and needs serious help.

Last edited by Mourgrym; 05/06/13 10:03 PM.
A
Rookie
Rookie
A
No one looks at life in order to fail. The kid, and yes he is a kid, made a bad mistake and choice, now it is how he handles the issue and where he goes with that is up to him. Millions of people do this and it comes down to how they handle what happened. He can learn from it, or be bitter, but in the long run he has to choose the path in which he takes. Let us all hope he chooses the right path and learn from the event in which he put himself into and not to become a statistic.

I believe in second chances, and I have no problem giving him one, I hope for him to rebound, understand the situation he put himself into and regains his true balance in life, but it it is all on his shoulders. I hope it is a lesson learned and he doesn't repeat the mistake made. The ball is in his court, how he plays it is up to him. I wish him well.

Legend
Legend
I don't believe that alcohol counts against the substance abuse policy. Edwards was never suspended for his DUI.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
That's ok, we can't be right all the time.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=6937845&src=desktop

an Francisco 49ers wide receiver Braylon Edwards was fined $50,000 for violating the NFL policy on substances of abuse, the team said Tuesday.

Last edited by clevesteve; 05/06/13 11:25 PM.
A
Rookie
Rookie
A
If I remember correctly Edwards got hit with reckless operation, which is nothing more to a police officer an OVI reduced. Still he is labeled as an OVI offender, just as the average person. Edwards, still will be considered an OVI offender especially if he is on the road anytime after 10pm and a police officer runs his plates. Though he might not have the OVI on his record, he still will be considered as a offender. He will live with the big X on his back for the rest of his life.

Side note: The NFL has the free ride policy after drinking policy with no questions asked, why the players don't utilize this makes no sense. Edwards made a bad choice and lucked out.

A
Rookie
Rookie
A
I'm wrong from reading your link, but man oh man did he luck out. As they say money talks and BS walks. The regular "Joe" would be screwed. Thank you for the link.

Legend
Legend
Maybe it's that alcohol doesn't count towards suspensions.

There is a different category for alcohol related arrests.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

... also, any driving while intoxicated is bad.

but, ...

... And, perhaps Oklahoma is different, but I didn't think you could get arrested for public intoxication while being driven home. ...

Please stop trying to justify drunk driving. Drunk drivers kill thousands of innocent motorists and pedestrians each year, just in the USA.

You get arrested for public intoxication when you are drunk on a public thoroughfare whether driving or not.

Drunk driving is not "bad." It is murderous.

Legend
Legend
Yep it's almost as bad as texting and driving

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
j/c

All I can say is what a wasted pick.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Yep it's almost as bad as texting and driving

my son and his mom just got into an accident yesterday because some 18 year old (with her mom in the car ) with temps was texting and ran a 2 way stop sign. The 18 year old also tried to tell my sons mom that it was her fault because ... my sons mom didn't hit the brakes when she saw the girl running the stop sign. Luckily, my 11 year old son walked away unharmed and everyone else did too.

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
E
Legend
Legend
E
So glad all are OK!

1. Most important to Bryant & his future with the Browns. How will this effect his PROBATION (5 years)? If he has to spend time in prison (Felony) he is done I would think.

2. I don't think he signed a contract with us yet - I don't see how the NFL can fine him or anything if he is not part of the NFL as of yet. He'll probably come into the NFL of course with his first X.

3. The guy definitely doesn't seem to be a bad guy. He got caught selling $20 worth of Pot twice (assume the same night with two different undercover cops) but being close to a school he got the max. I'm trying to think about that...in my day maybe a Nickel Bag as they called it? All from a previous arrest n a kid with a good lawyer setting this all up to get out of his arrest.

4. Driving a drunk friend home. Stopped for a bs reason - I don't think he received a ticket for the presumed offense.

What I see is a small town with a police force that probably resent college kids & their free party mentality so they wait for them to get off campus property to arrest/fine/whatever.

Character flaw? I don't know it doesn't seem so. Now with 300k+ we know he won't have to get by economically by selling $20 bags of pot. The DUI thing - obviously he was driving a kid home that had no business driving. He did not weave, speed or any tell tell signs of a drunk driver.

I hope he gets here...Gets his opportunity n stay out of trouble. The key will be the break of Probation - what are the repercussions of it. If it stays on his permanent record instead of expunge...a shame - if he has to spend time n jail? I think a travesty to justice. Hopefully Haslam can spare one of his Lawyers n get this kid out of this mess. I think he is not a BAD KID with some Thug behavior. Just a kid who needed some cash & taking care of friends like the "BIG" guys sometimes do.

I'm definitely give a kid a chance type of guy! I just don't see bad Character in this kid.

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c
I haven't read this thread or any media reports on this subject since the news broke that Bryant was arrested for DUI. I imagine that opinion is all over the place, a few wanting to give the player a pass, some wanting him cut.

At this time this 7th round pick is an asset that cannot be carelessly thrown away. Everything associated with this incident has to be examined before any decision is made about the player's future with the Browns. I'm hoping the FO looks into this situation in terms of how it helps or hurts the team. I just want the best decision for the club.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c

After a night to sleep on it, I really don't want to throw the kid to the curb. It just sucker-punched me, just after he said he was going to show everybody how he wanted to turn it around. I guess he still can. What a way to start

I'm still miffed at Lombardi for trashing Gordon last year and now comes in our house acting like the kid better shape up or else. I know, maybe I'm exaggerating, but he's gone out of his way for yrs. to trash us and I don't care what anybody say's, it wasn't all the job, dude has no business coming back here.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
Legend
Legend
Quote:

1. Most important to Bryant & his future with the Browns. How will this effect his PROBATION (5 years)? If he has to spend time in prison (Felony) he is done I would think.

That's the million dollar question. Those initial articles pretty much said that one slip up and he'd be doing the 5 years.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Cleveland Browns draft pick Armonty Bryant pleads no contest to DUI charge, receives 1 year deferred sentence

By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer
Follow on Twitter
on May 07, 2013 at 5:10 PM, updated May 07, 2013 at 6:00 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Cleveland Browns draft pick Armonty Bryant today entered a guilty plea/no contest to misdemeanor charges of driving under the influence in Oklahoma's Pontotoc County District Court. He received a one-year deferred sentence and was ordered to pay $1,136 in fines and court costs.

Bryant must also listen to a victims-impact panel on the perils of drunk driving, according to John Hubbard, an assistant district attorney in Oklahoma. He also must attend a substance-abuse screening panel within the next 180 days.

Bryant's suspended sentence last October from his felony charge of marijuana distribution does not change as a result of this DUI conviction. Bryant and his attorney, Frank Stout, were in court today.

Bryant's arrest early Friday morning came less than a week after he thanked the Browns for taking a chance on him in the draft because of his marijuana arrest in October and vowed not to let them down.

Bryant, a pass-rushing defensive end, also refused to blow properly into the testing equipment and argued repeatedly with the arresting officer, according to the police report. Readings showed blood alcohol levels of 0.10 and 0.09. The legal limit in Oklahoma is 0.08.

The Browns must decide if they'll bring Bryant in for rookie minicamp Friday through Sunday or perhaps even cut ties with him.

"We are aware of the incident and are now in the process of collecting more information,'' team spokesman Neal Gulkis said in a printed statement. "We will not have any further comment.''

Bryant's arrest comes just two weeks after linebacker Quentin Groves, signed as a free agent in March, was arrested in a sting operation for soliciting a prostitute. Groves' arrest occurred on April 17, during the team's voluntary minicamp.

The Browns will apparently stand by Groves, who pleaded guilty to a charge of disorderly conduct and paid $365 in a fine and court costs, but will they send a message with Bryant? The Browns just might decide that the promising pass-rusher is more trouble than a seventh-round pick from Division II East Central University in Oklahoma is worth.

• Browns should back away from Bryant: Pluto

Bryant was arrested in October -- during football practice -- for selling $20 worth of marijuana to an undercover police officer in a university parking lot on Sept. 12 and 13. He was charged with felonious distribution of marijuana and suspended by the team for three weeks after receiving a suspended sentence.

On draft day, Browns coach Rob Chudzinski said the team checked into Bryant's background and felt comfortable enough to draft him, especially after defensive line coach Joe Cullen flew to Oklahoma to work him out. Bryant was one of only five players selected by the Browns in this draft.

"Through the course of looking into his background with coach Cullen out there, as well as our scouting staff, we felt like he is past the mistakes that he's made and ready to move on,'' Chudzinski said. "He's matured.''

Bryant (6-4, 263) assured reporters during his draft day conference call that he was a changed man.

"Good people make mistakes, is something that I’ve always been told by my head coach,'' Bryant said. "I feel like it was just a stupid move on my part. I should have been more mature about the situation and be more focused on football, which is something I really want to do with my life. Now that I’ve gotten that second chance, I feel like I won’t let anyone down. I won’t let myself, the people around me or the Cleveland Browns down. I appreciate them for taking this chance on me.”

Bryant, the 217th overall pick, was surprised to be drafted at all. "I expected to be a free agent and hopefully someone took a chance on me,'' he said.

If the Browns stick with him, it will be because of what they saw on tape and their belief he can turn himself around.

"He’s an explosive, speed off the edge, good sized defensive end who can apply pressure to the quarterback,'' said Chudzinski. "He’d be that type of player in our scheme. He can put weight on. I think he is 265 or somewhere in that range. He has a big frame and is real raw. He’s a guy that you look at that you are excited about what he can be if he develops and works at it.''

Bryant was pulled over at 3:46 a.m. on Friday near Norris Field, the stadium where he starred for East Central. At first, Bryant told the officer he hadn't been drinking and that he was just driving a friend home from a party. Later, he admitted to having a few drinks.

The officer tried to administer the state's blood test six times and each time, Bryant replied, "I just don't want to lose my driver's license,'' according to the report.

The officer wrote that he observed Bryant "to have slurred speech, to have a strong odor associated with an alcoholic beverage...and to be unbalanced on his feet.''
web page

I dont believe the Browns will cut ties with him at this moment but will make it clear that his 2nd chances are now over. Any off the field incident from here on will result in his release.

Legend
Legend
One year deferred sentence and this doesn't impact his suspended sentence on a felony?

Hehe, some skids were definitely greased for him in the background on this one (perhaps keep an eye on campaign donations flowing toward Pontotoc County, Oklahoma, hehe).
Basically, he's been given a one year shot to straighten up and show himself to be a player.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

E
Legend
Legend
E
OK the felony thing...which is ridiculous $20 of pot or $40. Remains just now I think he doesn't get it expunged which is a big thing (he will have a felony on his record for the rest of his life). For those who think he got away with something. Expunged and not expunged there are probably guys caught with a ounces of heroin getting better deals.

DUI...man a dumb thing, big guy so probably the most sober of his group - then again who is at their smartest after drinking. Hope he takes advantage of that Taxi service most NFL teams have available to their players. I know my son got a ticket driving a drunk friend home at his University (friends 21st party) thank goodness my son didn't drink at all. Forgot what the ticket was but some silly reason. So glad my son wasn't that Buzzed guy who was able to drive. And I'm caught in between cause on the other spectrum are innocent people dying from Drunk drivers but those drunk drivers are wasted drunk drivers. Not the ones driving 5 miles under the speed limit n not breaking any laws but because these are police in a small college town no reason to ruin their lives - Go get the idiots drunk out of their mind n blowing through red lights, stop signs, etc. Hopefully you get what I mean. Drunk driving is terrible - but not to be picked on to a degree around campuses where the POOR KID can't get out of trouble with a good lawyer. He's the one who gets his life ruined.

JMHO - hope we keep the kid n give him his opportunity...I think the loyalty we will receive back will be great!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
It would be pretty silly for the Browns to cut Bryant loose because of this in the light of what situation the owner is in right now. JMO.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

It would be pretty silly for the Browns to cut Bryant loose because of this in the light of what situation the owner is in right now. JMO.

I hope the kid makes it and changes his life for the better ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
M
Legend
Legend
M
jc

I glad the team didn't cut him but obviously he has no other passes here. Hopefully, after hitting the bottom the kid will be stronger for it, whether here or somewhere else.

Personally, I see this guy as a DE in our 34 even though the kid played a DE in the 43 (right?) Apparently reports from Berea are saying this kid is just massive..a giant. He seemed to like playing with his hands in the ground.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-cen...aa-98f5b6e71c8b

There is a vid of an interview from today.. Soft spoken kid.. If you didn't know about his troubles, you'd never suspect him of wrong doing.. funny how that works

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-cen...aa-98f5b6e71c8b

There is a vid of an interview from today.. Soft spoken kid.. If you didn't know about his troubles, you'd never suspect him of wrong doing.. funny how that works

Definitely soft spoken. I thought he handled the media rather well for a young kid addressing some rather serious stuff.

The kid's best weapon/answer: "I'm not going to go into detail"...... He's learning and getting prepped at the same time.

Kinda funny the PR guy was basically on top of him.

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c

The Joe Banner led Cleveland Browns continue to impress me as calculating (not in a bad way) by their apparent decision not to cut Armonty Bryant.

Browns considered severing ties with Armonty Bryant

Posted by Mike Florio on May 10, 2013, 6:32 PM EDT

Getty Images
Armonty Bryant almost had a very short tenure with the Browns.

The seventh-round pick was arrested for DUI only six days after being picked. The Browns considered renouncing their rights to the defensive end, who had been arrested in October 2012 on a marijuana charge.

“We discussed all the options and ultimately decided that we wanted to bring him in and sit down and talk to him, and that’s the process we went through,” coach Rob Chudzinski said Friday, via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

“You have to give guys every chance, every opportunity, and I feel really good about the structure that we’ll have around him to give him every chance. He’ll be evaluated consistently and constantly just like all our players are, and time will tell.”

Actually, the rule is that the good players get a second chance, and the slappies become the examples. Since it’s too early to know precisely where Bryant falls on the football-skill spectrum, he’ll get a chance to prove he’s not one of the guys who lose their jobs when they get in trouble.

Bryant said that defensive line coach Joe Cullen, who had past issues with drunk driving while working for the Lions, has helped the rookie work through a difficult situation.

“He’s actually had my back and he’s helped me through this situation also and I feel like he’s a great mentor,” Bryant said of Cullen. “I just made a stupid mistake at the time. But now I’m just going to let my actions speak for me.”

Even without the arrest, a seventh-round pick is hardly a lock to win a job on the 53-man roster. It could end up being harder for Bryant, regardless of whether he picks up a third strike.

Even if this is just a PR piece it suggests that the team is willing to give Bryant a good look before making a knee jerk decision on his future with the club.

Legend
Legend
At that is how it should be.

He got a DUI. He wasn't out raping kittens and sacrificing puppies while riding goats backwards and listening to Pat Boone (who, along with Scott Baio, really is the Devil).

It was a stupid mistake, he has an opportunity to make it right, but there should be no doubt in his mind that he is on his last chance.

Browns is the Browns

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
No argument here.

Legend
Legend
and the guy was under a .10 it's not like he was driving around at a .30

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
T
Legend
Legend
T
I may be completely in error, because it was so long ago, but, Wasn't Chris Carter an example of one of these of type situations working out in the best possible way.
The point being, It can happen.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I may be completely in error, because it was so long ago, but, Wasn't Chris Carter an example of one of these of type situations working out in the best possible way.
The point being, It can happen.

You are correct .. and with help he turned out pretty good

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

the legal limit was .08. he blew a .09.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

Quote:

the legal limit was .08. he blew a .09.

Basically, a guy his size maybe had two or three beers or beer and shot in less than an hour. Yep, it doesn't take much to hit .08. Media is making it look like this guy needs a little quality time attending AAA meetings. I'll bet Bryant thought he was perfectly fine and was shocked.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Media is making it look like this guy needs a little quality time attending AAA meetings.

Yeah, the media thinks he needs him some automobile knowledge.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Media is making it look like this guy needs a little quality time attending AAA meetings.

Yeah, the media thinks he needs him some automobile knowledge.

Well, he has the drinking down pat, so clearly he has a driving problem

Browns is the Browns

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Pick #217: Armonty Bryant, DE, East Central (OK)

Link Copied to Clipboard