Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Johnny Manziel helps land NFL Network best-ever preseason ratings - CBSSports.com
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foot...eseason-ratings

Hear ye, hear ye: if you put Johnny Manziel on national TV, ratings are probably going to be good. Like, really good. Like, maybe the best ever.

And thus, the Browns-Lions preseason game the NFL Network televised last weekend did just fine in the ratings.

To put that in perspective ...

Though Manziel certainly wasn't perfect vs. the Lions -- in my eyes, he was about as good as Brian Hoyer, who was decent but not spectacular -- he reportedly has pulled ahead of Hoyer in the race to land the starting quarterback job (even if coach Mike Pettine denies the report).

The Browns next preseason game will come vs. the Redskins next Monday where it will be televised nationally by ESPN.

And you can expect the ratings for preseason game No. 2 to be even higher. Mostly because Cleveland signed this guy Tuesday.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Legend
Legend
M
You're welcome, NFL.

And now, in return, #FreeJoshGordon.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Would explain why NFL Network discussed the Browns for 15min straight yesterday, cut to some other teams for 5 min and then was back talking about the Browns again.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
JC

Wilbon went nuts on ( wahtever show he and Kornheiser does, i dont watch it much so cant remember the name), about Cleveland yesterday... about a 45 second tirade about how stupid the FO and coaching staff was on EVEYTHING Hoyer /Manziel related.

man it was absolute hatred for the browns

Last edited by texaslostdawg; 08/12/14 02:12 PM.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
he usually has nice things to say about Cleveland, which was kind of surprising to me, I think hes just done with the JM talk.

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
Legend
Legend
Quote:

JC

Wilbon went nuts on ( wahtever show he and Kornheiser does, i dont watch it much so cant remember the name), about Cleveland yesterday... about a 45 second tirade about how stupid the FO and coaching staff was on EVEYTHING Hoyer /Manziel related.

man it was absolute hatred for the browns

I use to love Wilbon and Tony on PTI. Maybe some things over the years have really gotten to him, because he's just an old grumpy guy now. Hates everything new, all that jazz..

Saying the "Rookie should sit" is no longer a thing that has to be done. The way kids are learning the QB position nowadays, it's going to be a smaller idea..

And old grumpy guys don't wanna hear that stuff..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Quote:

The way kids are learning the QB position nowadays, it's going to be a smaller idea..

I don't think that this statement holds any water at all. Kids aren't any more special than they used to be (actually, probably less special) and they aren't any better at learning.

If anything, you get a guy like Shananhan that dumbs down an NFL playbook so that it's more like the simplified college offense these kids came from. That allows them to step onto the field and learn how to play like a grown up as they go.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
I dunno, It just seems to me in the past 5-10 years, rookies are more ready than they were 10-20 years ago, when you didn't even THINK about starting them..

First it was because of the money they were making. And just wantin a quick return on your investment basically...

But with technology the way it s now, and getting better I think you're going to see more prepared young QBs.

But I do agree that the College system is a detriment to them. It's too easy to run the spread in college and be successful. As opposed to running a "Pro style" offense.

But I also think you're going to see the NFL move away from the Pro style a bit, hell a guy like Brady and Manning spends almost an entire game out of shotgun.. especially with the rules favoring the offenses to a ridiculous degree..

Last edited by ThatGuy; 08/12/14 03:43 PM.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
coaches scale it back, you have all these passing camps, They are groomed to be an NFL qb more than ever. plus u have all the rules protecting the offense and offensive players especially the QB. They tried to kill young and cunningham now the nfl does what it can to protect them.

Legend
Legend
j/c

Went to camp today ... Was lucky enough to have Manziel come right over to our section after practice to sign autographs ... was lucky enough to get one ... was lucky enough to get out of Berea still alive

Man, what a circus that guy brings

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
~ Yawn

More Manziel hype. Awesome... tired of it already. It's sad the only amount of respect/attention this team can get is from someone who hasn't even taken a regular season snap.

Legend
Legend
It'll only get worse once the season starts. I can't see a scenario in which he won't be the most talked about player (unless Hoyer just lights it up)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Good. I hope it stays that way.

As a Tennessean, I wouldn't mind at all if we had 2-3-4 national games. If I can stay at home when I am not making the junket up for my 6 games.....all's good.

I like my peeps at the bar and the food there, but I like my food and easy chair better.

I have a great chair, and am a pretty damn good cook.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

~ Yawn

More Manziel hype. Awesome... tired of it already. It's sad the only amount of respect/attention this team can get is from someone who hasn't even taken a regular season snap.

What's sadder is you and a few others complain about the attention.

What's up with you people?? You aren't fans. You're complainers.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Eh, nothing wrong with expressing discontent. Hype & $1.50 might get you a cup of coffee.

We've had more than our fair share of hype & hope surrounding young QB's over the last 15 years, and JM is just another in that very long line until he proves he's more than that. I don't think it's incomprehensible to think that some folks are tired of the hype and want to see some bonafide success before delivering more accolades.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Jc

I like the attention. The browns and the cavs are making us the center of the sports universe. It's a nice change.

No Craps Given
V
Legend
Legend
V
I can see why you get sick of it, but my advice would be that it would be wrong to blame Manziel for it.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Call it "complaining", call it whatever. Even Pettine had made a comment in today's presser about getting the attention "for the right reasons".

Quote:

I can see why you get sick of it, but my advice would be that it would be wrong to blame Manziel for it.

Where did I blame Manziel? Don't put words in my mouth, or any other mouth, that's my advice. If I blame anyone, it's the media.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Never said you did. Relax man.

Legend
Legend
I hope Johnny lights it up and turnes into the next Peyton Manning BUT this is just to much attention for a unproved rookie

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree. But it's the media I blame for all of it. Sometimes I think they're building him up just to tear him down. I mean he could be very good as a rookie and still not live up to the hype they've built.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Yeah I agree. I'd like to see them give Bortles that kind of attention ... I mean the dude was like 20 picks higher

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

I agree. But it's the media I blame for all of it. Sometimes I think they're building him up just to tear him down. I mean he could be very good as a rookie and still not live up to the hype they've built.

At this point if he doesn't win the NBA MVP he'll be a bust.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I never thought you peeps would hate the publicity so much...Geezzzzzzz
Cleveland needs ANY publicity possible! Instead of the old joke lines JM and Lebron have captured the excitement of the nation.

With this attention also brings more interest in a player playing for Cleveland.

Let's face it the Browns have been off the media map for years (not including the hoax that was Believland in 2006) and I am loving the extended coverage. I can't believe so many of you don't.

P.S. Manziel is the REAL DEAL...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
SB: I do believe that is the most words I've ever seen in one of your posts...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
the keyboards are better over here.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Yeah I agree. I'd like to see them give Bortles that kind of attention ... I mean the dude was like 20 picks higher

I

P\OPh No, They are taking their time with Bortles and that is just fine, but by God if POettine doesnt make a decision soon he is an ifdiot.

Hell that one guy with the ears on ESPN ( looks like a taxi cab with both doors open), said that Hoyer was only egting one quarter to audition formthe 1st string QB job... where did that come from?

And I still cant get over Wilbon's 45 second tirade on how everything Cleveland Browns is a joke and Farmer and Peetindf dont have a clue.

I love the attention, but lets keep it on the intelligent side... oops... ESPN... nevermind.. sorry

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
This JFF attention is FUN. What else have we had to be excited about in the past 2 decades? When was the last time we had the "sexy pick"? I love this stuff!

Now...will he play well and really be our QB of the future...I hope so but only time will tell.

Legend
Legend
I guess the two closest picks as far as gaining national attention would be Richardson and Quinn. Hopefully JFF has better production.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I don't mind the attention. It's the baseless and 3rd grade level analysis that's annoying.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
first 2 preseason games on National TV. This is a good thing. I didnt want to have to wait 4 days to see the browns games like we did last year. With these ratings the final 2 games will probably make it to primetime.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

This JFF attention is FUN. What else have we had to be excited about in the past 2 decades? When was the last time we had the "sexy pick"? I love this stuff!

Now...will he play well and really be our QB of the future...I hope so but only time will tell.

What bothers me, and I would guess I'm not alone in this, is that all of the hype is setting the Browns up for a real bad fall if it doesn't go well. As a Browns fan, I've seen this act before and it never seems to end well for us.

yebat' Putin
B
Legend
Legend
B
So we're due!

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I take the approach here of any coverage is ultimately good coverage. I have had coworkers and friends wish that JF would fail simply for being JFF :P

If JF fails then we just go back to being the franchise where QB's go to die. How would JF failing be that much worse than the 15 years of ineptitude since 99? But just the possibility of JF being good has given us more press than we know what to do with, and getting that kind of positive coverage can be good for other players too. I'm sure players like Joe Haden love getting that sort of coverage because the shining light of JF will also shine on other teammates. Even Hoyer, as odd as that may be to say.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2014 NFL Season Looking Back: Lions 13 - Browns 12 Manziel helps Land NFL Network Record Audience.

Link Copied to Clipboard