Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Good read, thanks for posting.

The arm strength issue is one that had me scratching my head back in the spring. I understand the college game can be deceiving in terms of abilities, but everyone was going on and on about his arm. "He can throw a laser on a rope while on the move!"

And I'm watching A&M highlights thinking 'what the hell are they seeing?"

All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted By: pblack18707
In the final minutes Sunday, as Fox showed Manziel sitting on the bench with his head down, analyst and former standout defensive back John Lynch spoke of an interaction he had with Manziel: "The best quarterbacks in this league, they're the hardest workers in the building. Johnny Manziel was, this week -- by all accounts. All year, he hasn't been. And I asked him: 'Are you willing to do that?' He said, 'Well, this week was a good start.' He was stand-up. I think he didn't argue that he hasn't been. He said, 'This was a good start.' And we'll see from here, and I think that will go a long way in determining his success.''

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/12/johnny_manziel_dmans_report_ga.html

It's what I've been saying from the beginning. Hopefully with some work he can fix the preparation flaws but he's still going to have physical limitations...

Last in, first out, the sign of a true champion!
[Linked Image from i301.photobucket.com]
PDR #903516 12/16/14 07:47 PM
A
Legend
Legend
A
No need to even watch A&M games - just re watch Sunday's game. No one has a clue if he has a good arm, because his mechanics sucked so bad.

Even the announcers said it. "You may get away with that in college, but this isn't college."

2nd String
2nd String
Originally Posted By: Stetson76
Originally Posted By: pblack18707
In the final minutes Sunday, as Fox showed Manziel sitting on the bench with his head down, analyst and former standout defensive back John Lynch spoke of an interaction he had with Manziel: "The best quarterbacks in this league, they're the hardest workers in the building. Johnny Manziel was, this week -- by all accounts. All year, he hasn't been. And I asked him: 'Are you willing to do that?' He said, 'Well, this week was a good start.' He was stand-up. I think he didn't argue that he hasn't been. He said, 'This was a good start.' And we'll see from here, and I think that will go a long way in determining his success.''

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/12/johnny_manziel_dmans_report_ga.html

It's what I've been saying from the beginning. Hopefully with some work he can fix the preparation flaws but he's still going to have physical limitations...

I hope this beatdown will "wake him up". Maybe he NEEDED a failure this big...

Last edited by Slimdog; 12/17/14 03:37 AM.

"Awww Nawww Big Slimdog!!!"
-Eminem, "B**** Please Pt. II"
All Pro
All Pro
I hope so too.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
No need to even watch A&M games - just re watch Sunday's game. No one has a clue if he has a good arm, because his mechanics sucked so bad.

Even the announcers said it. "You may get away with that in college, but this isn't college."

What bothers me is the 12 minutes Debut as a real First NFL play - he didn't show the horrible mechanics. He showed actual comfort in the system and decent results.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #904172 12/18/14 08:21 PM
All Pro
All Pro
The problem is that he only played "well" for 5 of those twelve minutes...

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:
The 6-foot Manziel is too short to be a pocket passer in the NFL, yet Shanahan didn’t do much in the way of designed rollouts or bootlegs to take advantage of Manziel’s ability to make plays on the run.

He said part of the reason Manziel couldn't run more was the Bengals took it away, in part corralling him with a wide-nine scheme.

"Johnny wants to run,'' said Shanahan. "He enjoys that stuff. They weren't going to let him. That was pretty obvious early. They were playing the quarterback. We had to give the ball off every time. Johnny's got no problem running. He wants to make plays any way he can. When it's there he'll take it, but people know he can run, also. It's not always there."

He noted that he couldn't call more than two bootlegs because Manziel would've gotten drilled. One of them resulted in a 19-yard strike to Josh Gordon.

"If people are playing it, you call one and you get some pretty violent hits into you,'' he said. "Usually, that does help out the run game and stuff so you're always looking for that as a coach. If they're giving you the bootleg, I'll call it every play as you probably saw with (Redskins QB) Kirk Cousins in 2012 when we played here, but if they're taking the bootleg away, I'm not going to call it and have him run into a knockout."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/12/kyle_shanahan_still_confident.html

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Legend
Legend
I was at the Browns/Redskins game that Cousins started..

It was uper depressing watching him roll out almost every pass play and have an eternity to throw it...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
E
Legend
Legend
E
Its a problem to only those who wish to pee on him. He had two series...one a successful drive for a TD which we could not muster all day. The other a 3 n out.

You wish to look at STATS - I'm talking his technical evaluation that has been given by everyone in a very very terrible outing. What I'm saying is there was other data. To look at footwork, arm strength, accuracy, pocket presence. Why were the two pieces of data so different. Was it Johnny? Was it a new part of the playbook being thrown to everyone so that many pieces were off rhythm?

Talk football or talk agenda...your choice.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #904325 12/19/14 02:09 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
And that's the thing Tab. He looked in rhythm and his passes were crisp with good velocity in the Bills game.

He looked very uncomfortable and out of sync last week. Hopefully the coaching staff will go back to what's comfortable for the entire O instead of continuing to try to change everything mid stream like last week.

But then I'm a stat guy, so what do I know.

naughtydevil

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #904355 12/19/14 03:29 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
The little knowledge and experience I have with football. QB...so much of it is about comfort. So many things go wrong. One of the most common is squeezing the I mean tak a football and throw it against the couch. Nice n relaxed then squeeze it tight two different throws. A guy is relaxed he's not thinking about what he has to do he just does it.

So much ado about his burning of the midnight OIL ooooooh another way to bash the Browns and JM by the BOZOS well if studying was the principal product of becoming an NFL QB most it becomes an easy job. Of course you have to learn. JM knew his audibles something the Cutler situation is said to be void of. Not one player or coach stated anything but the opposite that JM was there in classes in film and working hard. Not one saying otherwise. JM gets corralled into an interview and he's honest - all of a Sudden Lynch is a genius. Maybe every starting QB who is worth spit puts in the extra hours other do not. Maybe he should have not..and we just kept it simple and execute the simple.

btw Pit..I cannot read a lick of the purple stuff, to dark for these tired eyes against a dark background so if I don't respond I'm not being a snob, I just cannot read it ergo my lighter posting color after posting I do like to read what i said to make sure what I did say wink

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #904360 12/19/14 03:44 PM
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted By: eotab
Its a problem to only those who wish to pee on him. He had two series...one a successful drive for a TD which we could not muster all day. The other a 3 n out.

You wish to look at STATS - I'm talking his technical evaluation that has been given by everyone in a very very terrible outing. What I'm saying is there was other data. To look at footwork, arm strength, accuracy, pocket presence. Why were the two pieces of data so different. Was it Johnny? Was it a new part of the playbook being thrown to everyone so that many pieces were off rhythm?

I really do appreciate your posts, but you keep saying 12 minutes as though that's true. At no point did I mention any stats other than the counter the false one you keep presenting. The only effective drive he had was 3 minutes and 14 seconds, the rest of your vaunted 12 minutes was either Bills ball or Manziel making a rookie mistake (for which I don't blame him, that's what rookies do, this last game wasn't rookie mistakes it was quarterbacking mistakes).

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Originally Posted By: Stetson76
Originally Posted By: eotab

I really do appreciate your posts, but you keep saying 12 minutes as though that's true. At no point did I mention any stats other than the counter the false one you keep presenting. The only effective drive he had was 3 minutes and 14 seconds, the rest of your vaunted 12 minutes was either Bills ball or Manziel making a rookie mistake (for which I don't blame him, that's what rookies do, this last game wasn't rookie mistakes it was quarterbacking mistakes).

Where did he say anything about 12 minutes in that post? He said two series, you even quoted him.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Here is my take on JF..

He doesn't know how to execute a proper play action hand off fake (basic).

When he drops back to throw he lowers his eyes if his 1st option is covered and looks into the line followed by running up into and out of the pocket then he will bring his eyes back up as he runs forward and he has no feel for the pocket what so ever. Lowering your eyes and looking into the line is death to a QB at this level. He simply isn't ready the speed of the game overwhelmed him and it was obvious.

Every and all excuses to the side, he isn't ready and no amount of excuses can change that. If he is the future we are screwed.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He looked good against the Bills, he sucked against the Bengals. No excuses. I mean its not like he had the defense spot him 17 points and still found a way to lose.

Knight #906031 12/22/14 02:02 AM
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted By: Knight
Where did he say anything about 12 minutes in that post? He said two series, you even quoted him.

He's been saying all over the board.

And Mougrym, he looked okay for exactly 50% of his series in Buffalo, hardly a fair comparrison to the entire Cincinnati game...

Last edited by Stetson76; 12/22/14 02:02 AM.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2014 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 0 Bengals 30 Johnny Manziel

Link Copied to Clipboard