Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#909303 12/29/14 02:44 PM
BpG Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Cameron Jordan isn't a good blocker, but Jim Dray might be worse. Here he is blown off the ball 5 yards. Also note, Cameron, blocking no one.

As much as I love Joe Thomas, this might have been his worst year as a pro. Which is still really good, but still. Suggs crosses his face and grabs Crow by the ankle.

Again, here he is getting blown up for a sack.

Michtel Schwartz isn't great, but he's ok usually. Not here, one hand on T Sizzle and you're hunting up a DB? Not a good strategy.

The Browns have a serious problem at tight end. None can block that well. Three in the game here and three not blocking anyone at the end of the play.

Image came out small, here is the link for the full size.

http://i.imgur.com/ILoywyu.jpg?2

It's hard to capture in one picture but a consistent theme throughout this game.....Our WR's suck at blocking....Benjamin, Hawk, Gabriel are all terrible blockers.

On the other side....Baltimore's WR's did a nice job of blocking.

Last edited by BpG; 12/29/14 02:49 PM.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
This thread deserves more looks, thus the bump. Ususally Barnidge and Dray have been decent blockers. Wouldn't judge anyone off of that game.

That said, the Ravens have Ozzie Newsome, we have Ray Farmer. Ozzie didn't even have 10% of our cap available and was far from holding the value of picks on draft day. Yet, he owned our GM yet again.

Not sure how anyone can trust the guys who gave us that FA and (first round) last draft to improve this roster next offseason.

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Of course you would compare Ray to Ozzie, Ray's first year under a new FO and how many years has the Oz been around? You really need to take a seat and let them grow. I know you won't, but your constant whining is worse than a nagging wife.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
BpG Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
The first round was a major flop this year. However everyone beyond the first round played and played well.

Ozzie is so good at bringing in under rated guys from other teams. Every time I look at their roster they have Jeremy Zuttah....Eugene Monroe...Owen Daniels...Steve Smith....etc.

When you really look at some of his picks like 2011 and 2010, he does have some stinkers in there.....he is just consistent. I think Farmer will be fine.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: DjangoBrown
This thread deserves more looks, thus the bump. Ususally Barnidge and Dray have been decent blockers. Wouldn't judge anyone off of that game.

That said, the Ravens have Ozzie Newsome, we have Ray Farmer. Ozzie didn't even have 10% of our cap available and was far from holding the value of picks on draft day. Yet, he owned our GM yet again.

Not sure how anyone can trust the guys who gave us that FA and (first round) last draft to improve this roster next offseason.

For starters it's much easier to build a team, to focus on FA and the draft, when you don't have to worry about the QB position. It's funny how the best coaches and GMs already have a QB.

But what would you do DJ? Do want to fire Farmer? Who would you bring in to replace him? What is your solution to the GM problem we have?

Are you just going to wallow in your misery until Farmer is fired? That could be several seasons.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Thanks for the pics.

Pic one Dray is usually "OK" in his blocking - Cameron totally disappoints me. Best blocker out there...and its not just here its all the TIME. 16 Hawkins. this little dude block better than Cameron which PO's me he is not a premier TE. I've always said blocking from RB, TE, WR is not a can't do situation its a frame of mind to DO! It is not hard to learn...like anything you have to want to learn it.

Pic #2. I'm curious look at the guy next to 68 that looks like a 3 as the 2nd number was it a baby pull left by Bitonio is that him and not Joe T??? I tried to see other pictures with a clear view of 73's right arm to see if a black Sleeve is on him. All those pics not one. lol laugh

pic 4. Man you see that left side with 84 on the edge if that WR could have chipped that edge more and let Cameron get the seal block...West has the outside for some big yardage - Suggs should be irrelevant if there is no dancing but a quick b-line to that Corner down the Sidelines.

On your Hawkins...he cam in motion and was the key block on several runs - I'm like MAN that poor guy going in on the 300 lbers but he laid the wood and made a couple of good blocks. Downfield in the open??? don't remember any I saw to judge 16. Inside in the Box I thought he was fearless.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
You need to remember it's bpg.

He thinks Hawkins and all the other WR are trash, even though hey absolutely balled out this year.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O

All year I've been trying to deny it, but it's true: This was the worst I've ever seen Joe Thomas.

For years he's been a very iffy run-blocker but I always considered him the best LT in the game because of his quickness and pass-protection, but this year that's fallen off sharply. He made the pro-bowl on reputation, not on merit. He won't be so lucky next year.

As weird as this will sound, I truly hope we hear that he's going in for surgery very soon. I really want there to be a reason for his drop-off in play. I don't want to face a reality that says Joe Thomas' best football is behind him.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Originally Posted By: Swish

He thinks Hawkins and all the other WR are trash, even though hey absolutely balled out this year.

They aren't trash but there isn't a complete receiver in the bunch. They did well for most of the year but really fell apart in the last month with dropped passes and the like.

An offense can only go so far where all the receivers are shorter than 6' and none are bigger than 180. Austin was the only one with size but his speed is gone. He's a possession guy with middling hands.

Here's the question you can ask yourself: Which receiving corp would trade us what we have for what they have?

That will be a very short list.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
Rams
Seahawks
Vikings
Titans
Oakland

And that was an instant thought off the top of my head. I'm sure there's other teams.

All we need is one big WR. I know I know, I think Gordon could possibly be him if he can just stop the off season crap.

But hawk and GABRIEL has proven over, and over, and over, and over again they can get wide the hell open all the time.

So if it isn't gordon, all we need is a big WR for he #1 spot and we are good.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Rams
Seahawks
Vikings
Titans
Oakland

And that was an instant thought off the top of my head. I'm sure there's other teams.

All we need is one big WR. I know I know, I think Gordon could possibly be him if he can just stop the off season crap.

But hawk and GABRIEL has proven over, and over, and over, and over again they can get wide the hell open all the time.

Without Gordon and Austin, who do we have left?

Rod Smith, Phil Bates, and Marlon Moore are non factors offensively right now.

Benjamin may have a game here or there, but is hardly a consistent weapon.

I really like Hawkins and Gabriel, but that is all we have for sure right now.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think most will have better feel for Farmer/Shanny after this draft

BpG Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

824 yards and 2 TD's is not balling out.

He had a nice year, but when your best WR's are two guys under 5'9.....you have major issues. There is not one consistent performer on the team.

Last edited by BpG; 12/31/14 09:58 AM.
BpG Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Rams
Seahawks
Vikings
Titans
Oakland

I just can't be ok with guys under 5'9, your QB has to have laser accuracy to hit guys that small on a consistent basis. Taller guys have better catch radius, there is a reason these guys went undrafted. There is a reason Chip Kelly didn't want Desean Jackson and only drafts big WR's.

Big guys can catch more errant balls.

Last edited by BpG; 12/31/14 10:01 AM.
R
Legend
Legend
R
"Major" issues is a bit strong. I think that's what Swish is trying to say.

The smaller guys played well. Garbage is certainly not a term I would use to describe our WRs. Yes, we can use an upgrade at the position.

If we had better QB play we'd be in the playoffs right now with our "garbage" WRs.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
But what would you do DJ? Do want to fire Farmer? Who would you bring in to replace him? What is your solution to the GM problem we have?

Are you just going to wallow in your misery until Farmer is fired? That could be several seasons.

No, I would not fire Farmer yet, but another poor FA/draft and 4th place division finish would seal the deal for me. There's no point in consistency if the talent isn't there.

The way he botched last year's 1st round was epically bad, worse than Mangini actually since the 2014 draft was deeper and he had better picks to work with. I don't think I lie when saying that over 90% of this board would have picked a better package of Gilbert/Manziel, even the one's who have no clue at all about the draft.

How can anyone have confidence in this guy and go to bat for him? He had no track record, was in KC when they drafted horribly, hired one of the worst GMs of the 90s in Kuharich as his consultant, was the College chief scout for the Browns in the similarly craptastic 2013 draft and then had this draft as GM? Sorry, but I don't see much hope here. I think he's as clueless as it gets

Last edited by DjangoBrown; 01/02/15 12:12 PM.

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Anyone can pick a better combination, after the first year. Everyone can, hindsight is 20/20.

Now, my critique is a bit different.

I did not like the move up from 9 to 8 for Gilbert.
I did not like the move up from 26 to 22 for Manziel. That cost a third. With only one QB gone, you could have stayed.
Not drafting a WR was silliness. If you recall, the Gordon thing hit at the beginning of day 2.

Those were my thoughts at the time, and I still think that they remain accurate.

No, not worse then the Mangini fiasco. LeSean McCoy was selected between MoMass and Vikune.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
I did like acquiring Buffalo's first. It was such a deep draft that moving from 4 to 9 didn't see a huge dropoff.

Then again, when you bomb acquired firsts like we have, what do you really gain?

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: PDR
Then again, when you bomb acquired firsts like we have, what do you really gain?

We could have picked up Justin Gilbert even earlier and likely have got the same amount of production and immaturity without acquiring their first round pick lol... really was hoping his play time would increase but it just fell behind more people like Desir (4th round) and etc. frown

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2014 NFL Season Looking Back: Ravens 20 - Browns 10 Some film review week 17

Link Copied to Clipboard