Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: Spergon FTWynn
Great game, I don't have a lot of thoughts to it, other than I'm really glad it wasn't the Browns in that spot last night. I think I may have given up on pro football for good.

At least Seattle had last year. Seriously, what an awful way to lose a football game, let alone the one watched by more people than any other football game.

If that had been us, it would have easily gotten one of those patented nicknames.

I told my GF if we lost a Super Bowl like that I would likely need a new tv and some drywall repair as I'm pretty sure I would have kicked it through the wall.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
I feel if I expressed what I'd do, I'd get suspended. Feed the Crow, I hope Flip knows that. He finds the endzone like a bloodhound tracking a rabbit.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: columbusdawg
Great game, I don't have a lot of thoughts to it, other than I'm really glad it wasn't the Browns in that spot last night. I think I may have given up on pro football for good.

At least Seattle had last year. Seriously, what an awful way to lose a football game, let alone the one watched by more people than any other football game.

If that had been us, it would have easily gotten one of those patented nicknames.

I told my GF if we lost a Super Bowl like that I would likely need a new tv and some drywall repair as I'm pretty sure I would have kicked it through the wall.

I mean seriously, we get that mad about losses like that WEEK ONE.

I can't imagine the wreck I would be in the two weeks leading up to a Browns super bowl, let alone the actual game.

I'd probaly start smoking cigarettes again.

Legend
Legend
"The Drive.

"The Fumble."

"The WTF?".

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Brady > Manning

Brady has shown throughout his entire career the ability and willingness to adapt and change his game for the benefit of the team.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S

Thats the depressing part. I could totally see this happening to the Browns if they ever got to the super bowl.

Even more depressing is we won't have to worry about that for a long time.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Who is Malcolm Butler? And how did he go from working in fast food to the Super Bowl?

http://news.yahoo.com/malcolm-butler-did-working-fast-food-super-bowl-194453904.html

Malcolm Butler went from unknown to hero in one play. How did he get there?

Christian Science Monitor

By Alexander LaCasse
13 hours ago

Four years ago Patriots rookie defensive back Malcolm Butler was working in a fried chicken restaurant. On Sunday he became a Super Bowl legend.

When Butler, 24, was working at a Popeyes, an NFL career was so remote to him, it was probably not even on the radar.

Butler signed with New England as an un-drafted free agent back on May 19 of last year out of the University of Western Alabama and won a roster spot during the team's training camp."Malcolm was part of what we like to call 'the few, the proud, the free,' that did a great job in our rookie minicamp," coach Bill Belichick told Sports Illustrated after Sunday's win. "We kind of created a roster spot for him by juggling some other guys around, and so we signed him. That's a pretty big jump from West Alabama to the NFL."

Butler picked off a Russell Wilson pass on the goal-line to save the game and seal the win for the Patriots. Now he's off to Disney World with receiver Julian Edelman. Butler had deflected a pass into the air two plays earlier that miraculously landed onto the stomach of Seahawks receiver Jermaine Kearse that temporarily sustained the potentially game-winning Seattle drive.

Butler got his start in football at Vicksburg High School in Mississippi where he only played his freshman and senior seasons and was not a top-flight recruit. He started his collegiate career at Hinds Community College in Mississippi, but was kicked off the team five games into his first season. The Providence Journal reported that Butler would not give a reason for his dismissal.

He then took a job at a local Popeyes for the rest of the school year and enrolled in classes at nearby Alcorn State University. At that point in time Butler realized something was missing from his life and he longed to play football again.

“That just made me realize how bad I wanted it and how bad I really needed it,” Butler told the Providence Journal back in August. “You don’t know how good it is until it’s gone.”

He was invited back to Hinds that fall and played well enough to transfer to Division II Western Alabama a year later. For two years he was considered by many coaches to be one of the best cornerbacks in the Gulf Coast Conference. One day after Butler's second season, coach Will Hall received a call from New England's special teams coach Joe Judge – they were interested in Butler.

"He never walks into an arena where he doesn’t feel like he belongs there. But at the same time, he’s pretty humble." Hall told the Providence Journal We thought he had a good shot. We really did.”

But Butler wasn't the only player in Sunday's game to take an unlikely route to the Super Bowl. Some in the sports world were also buzzing about the emergence of Seahawks receiver Chris Matthews, who caught four passes in the game for 109 yards

Matthews, 25, was not on the team two months ago and was promoted to the active roster in December, according to ABC. His last NFL shot came in 2011 when the Cleveland Browns cut him. Matthews then took his game to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the Canadian Football League for a brief stint, and had taken a job as a security guard at a Footlocker.

According to ABC, Matthews had been invited to workout for the Seahawks last year and was called at work by someone from the team, but Matthews told them he could not fly to Seattle until his shift ended.

(end)

Legend
Legend
Him working at Popeyes has nothing to do with this story..

This isn't the Kurt Warner was bagging groceries, played in the AFL, then got a spot on the Rams..

Hell he was only in on that play because Arrington was getting BURNT all night..

I'm not trying to downplay the play he made, it was great film study and the break on the ball was perfect..

But that is the fluffiest fluff piece that ever did fluff..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
E
Legend
Legend
E
I thought that, what are the odds catch sort of off set the Bone head play. lol laugh

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Matthews told them he could not fly to Seattle until his shift ended.

That's great! rofl I love it. "I think I have a shoplifter, and as soon as I catch him, and request ... what ... a week off,(?)I'll be on my way out"

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
See where Tom Brady was given a new Chevy truck for winning the MVP and he immediately gave it to Butler?
Class act.

------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: columbusdawg

When we make it to the super bowl I am supplying everybody with a foam brick... perfect for throwing at the TV without damage.. believe me I know what a shoe can do to a TV when thrown at DA speed

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
P
Legend
Legend
P
If only you would have combined it with DA accuracy you would have missed the TV entirely.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
If only you would have combined it with DA accuracy you would have missed the TV entirely.

LOL... now that's funny. rofl

#gmstrong

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy

This isn't the Kurt Warner was bagging groceries, played in the AFL, then got a spot on the Rams..

Hell he was only in on that play because Arrington was getting BURNT all night..

I'm not trying to downplay the play he made, it was great film study and the break on the ball was perfect..

It may be me, but I don't mind stories about a kid changing his life around, being studious and making something of himself. It was film study that made the difference.

For all the negative press, (see Manziel) it is good to know that the community college, small college route will work as well.

He will always have a home in Boston.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
David Tyree never caught another pass for the Giants, and was out of football a few years later..

Hopefully Butler continues to work on his game, and while id say use this celebrity if you can, not to depend on it..

Especially in NE, he could easily be cut next TC...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg

It may be me, but I don't mind stories about a kid changing his life around, being studious and making something of himself. It was film study that made the difference.

For all the negative press, (see Manziel) it is good to know that the community college, small college route will work as well.

He will always have a home in Boston.

Gotta agree w/that take. It's a good story and the kid made a couple of really good plays, not to mention the biggest play of the game.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I read that the Patriots had practiced for that very play the week before the SB and that Butler had gotten beat by it. The article quotes Butler saying Belichick told him "Malcolm, you have to be on that."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foot...butler-got-beat

There were a few reasons the play didn't work. The throw led the receiver a bit too much - should have been more on the numbers, or even towards the back shoulder. The receiver didn't "own it", failed to drive strong to the ball, allowing the DB to pick it. (It was a Gordon-esque effort.) Most importantly it was a tribute to Belichick's legendary ability to recognize tendencies and prepare for them, along with his player having the ability to execute.

Legend
Legend
You can see Butler walk up to Browner right before and basically tell him what play they are running..

Which let Browner know to get into Kearse, so that Kearse couldn't pick Butler..

I've seen the screen cap of right before Wilson throws it, Butler is 10 yards off of Lockette, anyone would have thrown that.. Could he of thrown it more backshoulder? Sure.. But when your WR is wide open, you can lead him towards the Endzone..

I understand the idea of throwing in on 2nd down, but if I'm going to do that, it's going to be a fade to the corner, that only a great catch could of been made on..

Maybe fake the slant in, and then go outside.. throw it to the back pylon..

I think Seattle got out coached. 99 times out of 100, after that 1st down play, the team on defense calls a time out, Seattle EXPECTED NE to call a time out.. and when they didn't everything got rushed.. they looked disorganized.. and then the defense KNEW what play they were running..

And it STILL took a GREAT defensive play by Butler, the break he gets on the ball is unreal..

Seattle should of ran Spider 2 Y Banana..

Legend
Legend
I would also like to point out the irony that is LeGarrette Blount..

Pittsburgh "punished" him for a bad attitude.. by ALLOWING him to go back to the team he wanted to be on.. and then helping them win a SB..

The irony is.. How different is the Pitt/Bal WC game if they still have Blount to play in place of Bell?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

so the text from Farmer read

#gmstrong

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: texaslostdawg

so the text from Farmer read

Drop the mic and walk off, sir.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I could understand the pass, what I don't understand how do you do it without play action I don't care if you brought in the extra WR. Not the same stack routes, play pass play in their play book. How do you not go play action???

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2014 NFL Season The NFL Post Season 2014 Super Bowl discussion // predictions

Link Copied to Clipboard