Legend
OP Offline
Legend
S
Curious as to what people think.

Will Tiger Woods win another major
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 08/10/14 06:59 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Legend
Legend
I said no. He doesn't have that intimidation factor going for him, and he won't get it back. When he burst onto the scene, the other golfers were shaking in their shoes and couldn't do anything about it. Once he showed he was human, he lost that advantage for good. His talent level has also dropped. He hasn't been the same since ditching Butch Harmon and the marriage/cheating disaster. Throw a trick back on top of that mess along with the talented players out there now, it doesn't look like another major is in the cards for Tiger.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I say no as well. He doesn't have the mental toughness or intimidation that he used to .. and that was 50% of his success

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I hope he does. I wish he was at the top of his game again, watching him and Rory go at it right now would be awesome.

yebat' Putin
S
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
S
Quote:

I hope he does. I wish he was at the top of his game again, watching him and Rory go at it right now would be awesome.

Totally agree.

I voted one more. I think he gets that last hurrah moment where he strings togethe 3-4 really good days. I think the talk of him catching Jack is pretty much done. Not only have some of his skills diminished, but the field is getting better. Rory looks like he's ready to become the face of the PGA, and Rickie Fowler is really good. I think he will get a major next year.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

I say no as well. He doesn't have the mental toughness or intimidation that he used to .. and that was 50% of his success

If I may rebut, good sir.

Just last year Tiger won 5 times including the Players Championship, which is often called the "5th major" and is considered by tour players to be virtually on par with the weakest of the major's, the PGA Championship. He also won Player of The Year in 2013.

I would argue that anyone who wins POTY just a year ago has it in him to win another major.

Now I do agree that Tiger doesn't have the same skills he had a decade ago. Whether that's attributed to a decline in ability or injuries, he isn't the same driver of the ball, nor is he the same putter, yet I'll argue that he has enough skill to win another major.

With Woods he's spent so many years physically punishing his body that it's finally catching up with him. Folks should read the books about Tiger as there's some very revealing things in there, such as the training he did with Army Rangers, of all damned things. Last I saw, jumping out of planes wasn't in the typical training regiment for pro golfers. His knees are shot, and now his back is starting to go, which really shouldn't be a surprise considering how much torque he's put on both of those over the last twenty years.

He's not the same guy, but he's got plenty of ability left. The only real question is going to be whether or not he can keep his body together long enough to get it done.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
I think Tiger is putting too much mental emphasis on the majors. It's ironic for a guy who used to psych out other players just by showing up but he has to lighten up and let the majors be fun. A couple years ago I thought that if he could just break through and win 1 that he might go on a run and challenge Jack.. I think those days are gone. I do think he will win another one, might not be for 5 years but he will win one.

Funny to hear Jack's comments.. when Tiger was young and king of the golf world Jack made some comments that Tiger didn't know what it was like to have a family yet, he didn't know what it was like to be the face of the tour yet, he didn't know how his body would hold up.. and basically said he didn't think he would get to 18... now on Rory, Jack said he wouldn't be surprised if he wins 20....

So Jack was right about Tiger, it was his inability to adapt to being a family man that started his downfall, then his body started falling apart, now he is putting too much pressure on himself... will he be right about Rory as well?

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think Tiger is putting too much mental emphasis on the majors.

This is in response to Toad's "rebut"

This was my original sentiment/intention. I think he's psyching himself out in the majors.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Look at many of his recent majors, he has played reasonably well in a lot of them on Thursday/Friday but then falls apart on the weekend.. it's either in his head or his body is falling apart... I choose the former.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
I think his body will prohibit him from beating Jack's number of majors, but he'll probably get healthy enough AND have his game/head right for one or two more. The odds of getting both in tune aren't favorable.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
B
Legend
Legend
B
J/C

I said one more, though I don't hope for that.....Screw Tiger. I can't root for him. I'll root for anybody but him.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
j/c

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
A couple of years ago, I would have said yes.

Now? No way. He's done.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I say he has a very small chance to win another major. He used to dominate majors played on par 72 courses because he could dominate the par 5s. I don't see that happening anymore. His short game is in shambles too. I remember watching him at Muirfield Village in the early 2000s when certain rounds he seemed like he never hit a green, but would walk off the 18th with a scrambling 69. He just doesn't have that anymore. I also get the feeling that winning majors just isn't as much a priority as people think it is still and that he is just not putting near as much time into practicing.

Congratulations to our 2016 NBA Champion CLEVELAND CAVALIERS!!! Greatest comeback in sports history... Hail to the King!

The great QB guru and the Moneyball group: 1-15
Record of Criminal Haslam owned Browns: 20-60 (0.250)
Legend
Legend
It looks like he's done. And not just done from winning majors, but done from winning any tournament. An 82, really? Wow.

I wouldn't close the book on him completely, but his personal life and health issues have seemed ruin, or at least derail his career.

I wouldn't be shocked if he won another major, but I'd be shocked if he played well for any long period of time.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Phenom will bright lights on him from a young age who failed to live up to expectations?

What an original story.

Legend
Legend
#2 in all time wins (79)
#2 in all time major wins (14)
Player of the year 11 times
Leading money winner 10 times

It's hard to imagine how that can be considered failed. His ability to dominate may be gone but he dominated for more than a decade. That's a pretty good run in my book.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Think he needs to go home. Maybe he will shine again on senior circuit. History is abusing him at this point.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
I said failed to live up to expectations.

At one point it was a matter of how many majors he'd beat Jack by.

Now it's will he win another major?

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk K-9 Consensus Will Tiger win another major?

Link Copied to Clipboard