Total was 24%

I think you were replying to me.

(just so others don't get confused)

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
If they don't want people buying high end food, then don't give them so much to spend.

Honestly, 194 per single person is a lot. I don't spend that much. If I did, yeah lobster tails for me.

Maybe an adjustment is needed. Because if I had so much to spend for free, I would buy high end food also.

What do they expect to happen with so much to spend.

j/c

I have the answer to food stamp fraud, bad foods consumption by welfare recipients, and the post office profitability all wrapped up by an order that would create jobs in the U.S.

Eliminate food stamps and replace them with M.R.E.s (Meals Ready to Eat.) We feed our soldiers M.R.E.s and they are balanced and nutritional and are easy to store, keep, and transport.

The post office will deliver the M.R.E.s to homes every single day of the year.

No more food stamps to tempt fraud, no more lobster tail-to-twinkee dinners, more post office jobs, more jobs for the M.R.E. manufacturers.

It's good enough for our soldiers, it's good enough to be given out for free.

P
Legend
Legend
P
The government pays about $7.25 cents per meal for MRE's. Now your idea may eliminate food stamp fraud, but the cost of food to the poor would drastically increase using your idea.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
The government pays about $7.25 cents per meal for MRE's. Now your idea may eliminate food stamp fraud, but the cost of food to the poor would drastically increase using your idea.

But if the government was buying the TRILLIONS of MRE's to feed the Welfare folks too, those prices would come way down.

Not to mention the extra tax income from all the new postal workers needed.

Last edited by 40YEARSWAITING; 04/18/15 01:13 PM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
That sounds good in theory, but how much in bulk was the government buying MRE's to feed soldiers? And have you ever known the government to really negotiate prices down?

Under your theory, they would be paying pennies on the dollar for prescription drugs for people on Medicaid and Medicare.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

I'm ok if the price goes up if people - and their children - have better, more-nutritional food that cannot be "sold off" for other crap. The savings from their improved health would be huge...yet immeasurable.

The recipients benefit, the postal worker benefits, the MRE-producers all the way down the line benefit, and the taxpayers actually get something effective for their tax dollars.

It's a multifaceted solution that makes too much sense (and would be very difficult to manipulate) to ever be considered.

Legend
Legend
The only hold back I can see is the fact that we have gone from a "Can Do" Nation to a "You Can't Do That" Nation.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I ate an MRE once. It was disgusting. If the poor had to eat this, they would rapidly looking for ways to become non poor.

No Craps Given
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
I ate an MRE once. It was disgusting. If the poor had to eat this, they would rapidly looking for ways to become non poor.

This ^

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

What? You mean you don't like your omelets coming from a plastic pouch??? lol

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Wall Street brokers should only eat MREs while working(?).

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Whatever happened to "Gov't cheese" and "Gov't peanut butter"?

I think the expansion of what you can by with food stamps/EBT has very little to do with the program being a "safety net". Expanding it to cover things like energy drinks, something that it obviously not a nutritional basic is about 'normalizing' the idea of being on gov't assistance. I'm not suggesting people should ever be purposefully shamed for being on assistance, but those on it need to view it as just that: ASSISTANCE. Something that is temporary and not a way of life. A safety net is not supposed to become a reasonably comfortable mattress to sleep on, but it has.

This is an issue that whether you think entitlements need to be scaled back, or someone who strongly believes we have a moral obligation to provide a publicly funded assistance program, it should be a no brainer to come together on.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847
Whatever happened to "Gov't cheese" and "Gov't peanut butter"?

I remember eating that and being thankful for it. I remember wanting Coca-Cola so bad! We could never afford it. I didn't understand why. So my mom arranged for me to help an elderly neighbor, earning my first $1 at age 6. I ran to the store for my six-pack of glass bottles. My brother and I were so happy. What a life lesson.

Corporate interest has pushed food stamps into a new region. Families get a plastic card, retailers and food producers get the actual money. I don't see how that changes now.

Legend
Legend
A nice story.

When I was growing up I shared a bedroom with 9 siblings. It only had one small window so we took turns looking out of it.
By the time I was 16, I had only seen the moon 3 times.

Legend
Legend
But you got to see 9 other moons every day...

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg

Clem you always manage to find a bright side to every story. smile

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg

grin

That is so not right.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
But he has a point because many years later we had us a family reunion and didn't recognize each other till we started droppin' rofl our drawers.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
But he has a point because many years later we had us a family reunion and didn't recognize each other till we started droppin' rofl our drawers.

Hmmmmmm.... That may answer a lot of questions right there. lol

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Since they start their reunions at the crack of dawn, you just have to hope he doesn't have a sister named Dawn.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Oh my. See the trouble DonCoyote started!

Legend
Legend
Oh, dear Lord!

rofl

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... MO Republicans Plan For Food stamps: "Ban sugary products, sea food, and steak!"

Link Copied to Clipboard