Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
It is pronounced Hi (as in slang for "Hello") - PAIR - bow - lay.

Thanks.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
Why in the universe would any decent QB want to be here ?

Especially Rivers...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ + HOF career!!!

Rivers?? HOF??? Seriously?? I can understand his desire for $$$ at the end of his career, but HOF???????

I don't think so. We'll see.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:

San Diego's Philip Rivers is one of the best quarterbacks in the league and a big reason why is his arm strength.

Although he has a quirky throwing motion, he is able to generate very good velocity and is exceptional at throwing down the field. He is able to make all the throws, whether they are deep in-between the hashes or outside the numbers.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/12665...ing-qbs/page/17

Well that's Joe Schmo's opinion. Just who in the hell is Alen Dumonjic , Contributor anyway thumbsdown

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: 1JohnnyG
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
Why in the universe would any decent QB want to be here ?

Especially Rivers...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ + HOF career!!!

Rivers?? HOF??? Seriously?? I can understand his desire for $$$ at the end of his career, but HOF???????

I don't think so. We'll see.

Minus the QB, our team is superior (IMO of course) to the Chargers. Put Rivers on the Browns and he could chalk up some impressive numbers...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Quote:

San Diego's Philip Rivers is one of the best quarterbacks in the league and a big reason why is his arm strength.

Although he has a quirky throwing motion, he is able to generate very good velocity and is exceptional at throwing down the field. He is able to make all the throws, whether they are deep in-between the hashes or outside the numbers.

Well that's Joe Schmo's opinion. Just who in the hell is Alen Dumonjic , Contributor anyway thumbsdown

About Alen Dumonjic

Alen Dumonjic is European-born football fan that now resides stateside, where he goes to college and writes about American football. He has written for Bleacher Report, The Boston Globe and Canada's The Score.

His content primarily focuses on the intricacies of football, such as X's and O's and technique. Alen is also able to offer immediate thoughts on NFL players strengths and weaknesses as well as analysis on NFL Draft prospects in the off-season. He's been studying the NFL draft and its prospects since 2008.
link

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
MrKelso Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Bleacher Report said yesterday a deal sending Phillip Rivers to Tennessee is becoming more and more realistic as the Chargers are worried about Rivers long term health. San Diego then in return gets the #2 overall pick and selects Marcus Mariota.

A deal like that obviously makes sense for both parties. I wonder if Tennessee then would be interested in trading Mettenberger? I liked the kid coming out of college last year and would be very willing to give up a middle-round draft pick for him.

Oh well.

It was fun picturing Rivers in Cleveland thumbsup

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mac
My first reaction...if we are going to give up our two first round picks for Rivers...why not do what it takes to get mariota or winston?

Simply..it will cost more to get MM,dependng on whether he drops.
But getting up there is very costly.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Attack Dawg
My first reaction...if we are going to give up our two first round picks for Rivers...why not do what it takes to get mariota or winston?

Agreed, I think that we would need to trade both 1st this year and next year's 1st to move to #2. Possibly more.

I don't think MM is worth that. If I felt about him the was I felt about Andrew Luck when he was coming out then absolutely worth it but I would be torn about picking MM at #12 if he happens to fall that far, though I probably would take him there.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
He is not worth it and you are mortgaging too much of our future on a guy there are questions about. If he falls to 12, which I doubt, fine but other than that no.

C
Legend
Legend
C
It's Tennessee or bust for Rivers. Mariota is going #2 to the Chargers. If the Chargers don't take trade Rivers, there will be a bidding war for Mariota's services. We will be at, or near, the front of the line in that bidding war.

E
Legend
Legend
E
13 more days...All will be revealed. wink

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: eotab
13 more days...All will be revealed. wink

And that will at least give us new topics to argue about on the board!

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
P
Legend
Legend
P
I would trade #12 and #19 for Rivers, we aren't that bad in our other positions now, and a veteran QB like Rivers makes us a legitimate playoff contender, immediately ... JMHO thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

Tacker...so, do you spend our two first round picks to sign Rivers?

If he is not willing to sign an extension, should the Browns still do the deal?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
I would trade #12 and #19 for Rivers, we aren't that bad in our other positions now, and a veteran QB like Rivers makes us a legitimate playoff contender, immediately ... JMHO thumbsup

I don't know if I'd go that far, but hey, it is off season and it certainly doesn't hurt to dream a little bit, does it? (Maybe fantasize is a better word?)

Then the actual season starts and.... well... you know (sighs)... tongue

MrKelso Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I sincerely hope we don't trade up for Mariota.

In my opinion you shouldn't trade be trading assets for a 50/50 and that's exactly what Mariota is.

And if they DO take him, is Haslam (and Farmer/Pettine) willing to be patient with the kid and let him develop? He's probably not a day 1 starter....

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: MrKelso
I sincerely hope we don't trade up for Mariota.

In my opinion you shouldn't trade be trading assets for a 50/50 and that's exactly what Mariota is.

And if they DO take him, is Haslam (and Farmer/Pettine) willing to be patient with the kid and let him develop? He's probably not a day 1 starter....

We already have 3 "not" day 1 starters. Why not add a 4th?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Quote:

About Alen Dumonjic

Alen Dumonjic is European-born football fan that now resides stateside, where he goes to college and writes about American football. He has written for Bleacher Report, The Boston Globe and Canada's The Score.

His content primarily focuses on the intricacies of football, such as X's and O's and technique. Alen is also able to offer immediate thoughts on NFL players strengths and weaknesses as well as analysis on NFL Draft prospects in the off-season. He's been studying the NFL draft and its prospects since 2008.
link

So he is a collage kid who grew up a soccer fan that is wet behind the ears and still trying to learn the game of football. lmao

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
E
Legend
Legend
E

Of course not...signing an extension has to be part of the deal.

And I agree with Pastor...we would be instant playoff contenders. Finally a QB that can make teams pay for playing for the RUN! Once we have that - Defense and running game will have us controlling the game, beating up teams, eating up victories thumbsup

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend

Tacker...so, do you spend our two first round picks to sign Rivers?

That would be dumb.. If we attempt to make that trade and he won't sign a long term deal, then don't do it at all,

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
I do not want to pay too much for Rivers. Maybe our 19th and sixth this year, and some of next year's top three.

Don't lose sight of the wanting to move him. This isn't all us coming along begging for the trade. And we certainly want to keep next year's first.

I prefer to use our picks for the first this year. Too much impact help available that has not been effectively addressed. NT and WR specifically.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
JC

Rivers and Adrian Peterson...

Wonder if we could somehow get both of those guys for our 2 picks, with Peterson giving Rivers reason to sign an extension.

Pro-Bowl QB and Elite RB behind our OLine.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DonCoyote
JC

Rivers and Adrian Peterson...

Wonder if we could somehow get both of those guys for our 2 picks, with Peterson giving Rivers reason to sign an extension.

Pro-Bowl QB and Elite RB behind our OLine.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
give up a 1st rounder and more comp for a 30 year old back with a 12.75 mil cap hit..........hell no

link
The price for Adrian Peterson appears set.

ESPN's Adam Caplan reports the Vikings are looking for a first-round draft pick and "more compensation," likely a starting cornerback, in exchange for Adrian Peterson.

From an interested team's point of view, the terms seem improbable. Peterson's contract is still a costly one. He counts $12.75 million against the salary cap next season. Caplan points out that Minnesota would much rather have him on the team to help in pursuit of a playoff season.

However, Peterson's camp has expressed the need for the 30-year-old running back to start over. He was just recently reinstated by the league, but he may choose to hold out of mandatory offseason activities with Minnesota to force a trade. Dallas has routinely popped up as a trade possibility, but the terms of the trade, along with Peterson's going price present a massive risk/reward circumstance that have to give even Jerry Jones pause. The Cardinals, Jaguars and Chargers among others are also considered possibilities, but ultimately the Vikings may have asked for too much.

R
Legend
Legend
R
If only the Vikings had a young franchise QB to build around for the future. I could see AP wanting to stay if that were the case.

Dysfunctional.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
If only the Vikings had a young franchise QB to build around for the future. I could see AP wanting to stay if that were the case.

Dysfunctional.

Teddy Bridgewater.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB

Dysfunctional.

Teddy Bridgewater.

What has Teddy Bridgewater done to be called a franchise QB?

How many years has he gotten his team to the playoffs?

Playoff wins?

Super Bowl wins?

V
Legend
Legend
V
He was being usual taunting self.

Does anyone really think that qb is the reason Peterson wants out of Minnesota?

Vambo: I can tell you this about Teddy. The Vikings have ZERO interest in drafting or trading for a starting qb this year. Can the same be said of the Browns?

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Vambo
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB

Dysfunctional.

Teddy Bridgewater.

What has Teddy Bridgewater done to be called a franchise QB?

How many years has he gotten his team to the playoffs?

Playoff wins?

Super Bowl wins?

Well yeah... I mean you can't label someone a franchise QB their rookie year, but factoring how he's played for them and the upside and increasing the level of talent around him on offense (can you say he was blessed with many high-end weapons?) he can very well fit the bill there in Minnesota. We'll see over time and in years.

But yes, got me. Franchise qb? No, but maybe. As Vers said, I highly doubt QB is the reason Peterson wants out. It's more likely how the front office handled his situation is the jist I am gathering.

He was being usual taunting self.

brownie

B
Legend
Legend
B
All I know is this.

I would pee in my pants! As in elated not a negative pee...lol laugh

jmho

Any pee in the pants is a negative IMO. tongue

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Does anyone really think that qb is the reason Peterson wants out of Minnesota?

Vambo: I can tell you this about Teddy. The Vikings have ZERO interest in drafting or trading for a starting qb this year. Can the same be said of the Browns?

Maybe we can agree that TB isn't a franchise QB but that he is a potential franchise QB.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
V
Legend
Legend
V
Good post.

I also wonder what "franchise qb" means? I think it has different meanings for different people.

I don't think there is definitive definition. Super Bowl wins? No, I can't agree w/that. In my mind, guys like Marino, Kosar, Bert Jones, Rivers, Jim Kelly, Fran Tarkenton, Stafford, Matt Ryan, etc are all franchise quarterbacks.

I think there is a difference between franchise qbs and elite qbs and a difference between the first two and championship qbs.

At this point, I would be happy w/a franchise guy. In my mind, a franchise qb is a guy who is good enough to be your starter for years and play at a very high level.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Rivers, Chargers continue to do an apparent contract mating dance

Posted by Mike Florio on April 19, 2015, 8:42 AM EDT
link

One month and two days ago, jarring news emerged from San Diego: Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers said he has no plans to extend his contract before it expires after the current season — and that he has real concerns about moving his family to Los Angeles. Coupled with the team’s decision to take a closer look at Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota, the facts quickly and naturally led to speculation that the Chargers could trade Rivers to Tennessee for the second overall pick in the draft.

While the story and its potential implications failed to quickly resonate on a widespread basis, the media gradually has recognized the significance of the story. Left unexplored, however, is the notion that the story is more about laying the foundation for a new contract than it is about Rivers ending his career with a team other than the Chargers.

As one well-connected source explained it to PFT within the past two weeks, far more likely than an imminent divorce between Rivers and the Chargers is the likelihood that player and team have launched a mating dance aimed at getting him signed beyond 2015. Rivers knows, if the Chargers move to L.A., that he’ll instantly have more value to a team that will be trying to win hearts, minds, and wallets in the nation’s No. 2 market — possibly in direct competition with the Rams or the Raiders. The Chargers know it, too, but they also know that they won’t be getting extra salary-cap space to accommodate a player’s belief that he has more value to a team in L.A. than he does in San Diego, no matter how accurate that belief is.

Let’s consider one of the first quotes from Rivers, assuming that he’s not thinking about leaving but about leverage.

“I guess things could change, but with all the uncertainty in many aspects, I don’t see it changing before camp gets here, and when camp gets here I’m even more certain to play it out,” Rivers told Acee only four days after the Steelers gave quarterback Ben Roethlisberger a massive, market-value contract.

“Things could change,” Rivers conceded. But if things don’t change before camp opens, he’s not negotiating a new contract. In other words (possibly), if the Chargers give Rivers what he wants on a new deal before training camp, he’ll sign on the dotted line.

In more than a month, not much has developed in the way of potential suitors for Rivers. Some have suggested that he’d be worth two first-round draft picks, a package that a franchise desperate for a franchise quarterback should be willing to instantly sacrifice.

Without a long-term deal, however, it would be a one-year rental with the availability of the franchise tag thereafter. Besides, while a team like the Browns could be gung-ho about the possibility of adding Rivers to the very long list of starting quarterbacks since 1999, Rivers may have no interest in playing for the Browns or any other team that resides a long way from the land of contention.

Some have suggested Rivers wants out because of the quality of the team around him. But what other team out there is a high-end quarterback away from instantly contending for a Super Bowl? Maybe the Texans, possibly the Bills. Neither team’s name has come up — at all — in the past 33 days. For the most part, the teams that would be most interested in Rivers don’t have the kind of supporting cast that would help him get to where he never has been.

Which brings us back to the Titans. Apart from Nashville’s proximity to his hometown, why would Rivers want to play for Tennessee? Arguably, they’re improving on defense with the arrival of Dick LeBeau and several free agents, but they’ve got a long way to go on both sides of the ball to become competitive in the AFC South, and in the AFC generally.

From the Chargers’ perspective, how can they trade Rivers without getting a potential franchise quarterback in return? That’s possibly why the Chargers have created the impression that they would be interested in trading Rivers to the Titans. With the second overall pick, the Titans would be guaranteed to get a possible Rivers replacement.

Some wonder whether the end game for the Titans isn’t Mariota but Jameis Winston, with a Rivers deal getting them to No. 2 and then another deal getting them to No. 1.

Moving up to one of the first two picks becomes dangerous territory for the Chargers, who know a thing or two about using the No. 2 overall pick on a quarterback. In 1998, they climbed up one spot to get in striking distance for Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf. The Colts took Manning, the Chargers took Leaf, and the rest is a very ugly period in San Diego history.

Still, if the Chargers were intent on trading up to No. 2, it could have been accomplished by now. Rivers would need a new contract in Tennessee, but his agent represents Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt and Titans G.M. Ruston Webster. Which means that getting Rivers signed over the long haul in Tennessee arguably would be the easiest part of this process. The real question is whether the Chargers truly want to move Rivers, and whether Rivers truly wants to move to a new team.

The fact that more than a month has passed since the story first hit the NFL’s radar screen without anything tangible happening suggests that contract leverage remains the major part of the equation. Why else would writers in San Diego now be talking about Rivers retiring in lieu of moving to Los Angeles? With no serious trade discussions happening (yet) and the Chargers not throwing a huge pile of money at Rivers, his other potential ammunition for getting the team’s attention comes from the School of Favre.

Whether it’s Rivers, Mariota, or someone else, the Chargers can’t go to Los Angeles in 2016 without a franchise quarterback. The team knows it, Rivers knows it. But there’s currently no reason to credibly believe the Chargers plan to roll the dice on an unproven rookie and there’s currently no reason to credibly believe Rivers wants to roll the dice on an unproven team.

If both sides were willing to do that, the dice would have been rolling by now.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
All I know is this.

jmho

Not if you had a jelly fish in your pants tongue

Last edited by eotab; 04/19/15 01:50 PM.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
All I know is this.

jmho

Not if you had a jelly fish in your pants tongue

Viagra can help that fingerscrossed

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Is Phillip Rivers an option?

Link Copied to Clipboard