Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
Somebody's got to know something about this player.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
C
Legend
Legend
C
I do. Should I tell you about him?

Legend
Legend
Someone posted a video of him and he looked really slow to me.

Of course, he is a late round pick .... so he is going to have some downside.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
CBS Sportsline, He was injured against Notre Dame, he had 1 touchdown, so basically a prospect.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Draft Analysis:

Randall Telfer is one of the best blocking tight ends in the draft and has the ability to contribute on run downs immediately. He's a serviceable receiver but he's an inline blocking TE by nature and has extensive experience in that role. --Mark Dulgerian

Overview

Finished his career with 65 catches and 12 touchdowns. In 2014, made 21 catches for 197 yards and two touchdowns. In 2013, received USC's Chris Carlisle Courage Award after battling through a series of leg injuries. In 2012, was awarded USC's Bob Chandler Award (academics, athletics and character). Had his most productive season as a receiving tight end in 2011, with 26 catches for 273 yards and 5 touchdowns. Redshirted as a freshman. Was a Super Prep All-American and Max Preps first-team All-­State tight end as a senior at Rancho Cucamonga (Calif.) High in 2009.

Analysis

Strengths Aggressive and determined run­ blocker who says he learned his aggressiveness from former Trojan tight end Rhett Ellison. Uses outstanding hand placement to strike and sustain in run game. Able to base block or work in zone scheme. Plays with football intelligence. Shows willingness to do whatever it takes to get his guy blocked. Willing to play and practice through pain. Gets all the meat off the bone in catch-and-run situations, looking to put his shoulder down and finish rather than juke.

Weaknesses Limited in passing game. Shows some stiffness in his routes, causing him to take very rounded turns rather than sharp cuts. Will drift and wait on a throw rather than working back to the ball. Appeared to lose focus as pass-catcher late in 2014 season. Much of his production came against zone coverage or out of play­action. Has dealt with leg injuries that have slowed him during his career. Feet narrow as run blocker, causing him to lose his base at times when engaged.

Draft Projection Round 7 or priority free agent

Sources Tell Us "You can't find someone to say a negative word about him in those (USC) offices. Plays hurt, tough, leader and a good teammate." -- AFC South area scout "Don't see him being able to hold up physically as an in-line blocker in our league." - NFL tight ends coach

NFL Comparison Rhett Ellison

Bottom Line Dedicated run blocker who is willing to scrap it out with the man across from him on each snap. Telfer has average size for an NFL tight end and is unlikely to dazzle teams as a pass-catcher, but his willingness and effectiveness as a run blocker could have teams looking at him as their run-blocking tight end for "12 personnel" packages.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/randall-telfer?id=2552660

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What's a Randall Telfer ???????????

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Last edited by W84NxtYrAgain; 05/02/15 08:37 PM.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He is in the same mold as Drey and Barnridge. Hey might as well go 2 TE sets the way this team is built to run it lol.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Reading this thread is like listening to a group of 12 year olds

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
He is in the same mold as Drey and Barnridge. Hey might as well go 2 TE sets the way this team is built to run it lol.

We did that all last year and it didn't work. Why would it work now?

(I know you are joking, but I think it is a valid question.)

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

It did work until we lost Alex Mack.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Blocking TE with good hands. Not a WR threat but good in the Red Zone for run or pass.

The kid I'm really interested in for that JJ Watt Goal line TE is the X-Factor we took at the end of the third round... He's a athletic quick 3-4 DE at 290+ but he came to his college team as a TE and supposedly has good hands! wink

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think he's a practice squad guy this year, and a potential replacement for Housler next season if he can kick the injury bug. If not, I'm sure there will be interesting TE prospects in the draft next year. He has potential, and that's what you're looking for in the later rounds.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

No. Once we lost Mack we compensated by playing two tight ends or one tight end and a fullback. When Mack was playing we could play three wide receivers more.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Rumor has it that this guy, Telfer, will probably be on IR the whole year along with Ekpre-Olomu.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

No. Once we lost Mack we compensated by playing two tight ends or one tight end and a fullback. When Mack was playing we could play three wide receivers more.

OK, let's look at snap counts: (Offensive snaps only are counted in the "total snaps" counts))

Week 1: 114 total TE snaps
Dray: 50
Barnidge: 43
Cameron: 21

Week 2: 85 total TE snaps
Dray: 41
Barnidge: 43
Cameron: 0
Robinson: 1

Week 3: 80 total TE snaps
Dray: 21
Barnidge: 7
Cameron: 52

Week 4: 112 total TE snaps
Dray: 29
Barnidge: 11
Cameron: 72

Week 5: 114 total TE snaps
Dray: 39
Barnidge: 20
Cameron: 55

OK, that is up to when Mack was hurt I am not going to do the whole year, but I will jump ahead to week 12, and look at a few weeks.

Week 12: 91 total TE snaps
Dray: 39
Barnidge: 52

Week 13: 86 total TE snaps
Dray: 69
Barnidge: 1
Taylor: 16

Week 14: 86 total TE snaps
Dray: 35
Cameron: 51

Week 15: 51 total TE snaps
Dray: 17
Cameron: 34

Week 16: 66 total TE snaps
Dray: 25
Camneron: 41

Week 17: 105 total TE snaps
Dray: 37
Barnidge: 5
Cameron: 63

So, we can see that we actually used the TE less as the year went on. (though total plays may also have come into account to some degree)

Let's look at the FB, just for kicks. (total offensive play counts)

Week 1: 14
Week 2: 27
Week 3: 23
Week 5: 23
Week 6: 14
Week 7: 18
Week 8: 25
Week 9: 32 (Small took over this week)
Week 10: 30
Week 11: 19
Week 12: 24 (Agnew again)
Week 13: 26
Week 14: 15
Week 15: 12
Week 16: 13
Week 17: None shown

I see no evidence that we added TE or FB play when we lost Mack. The numbers simply do not support such a conclusion.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

This is where I got snap counts from.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Does this account for the times Cameron was on the field lined up in the slot?

It certainly seems as if I was wrong. I am sorry for misinforming people (if I did).

I definitely think Mack getting hurt was a major problem, but I also think the lack of creativity in the play-calling hurt us just as much.

Legend
Legend
Does this account for the times Cameron was on the field lined up in the slot?

It certainly seems as if I was wrong. I am sorry for misinforming people (if I did).

I definitely think Mack getting hurt was a major problem, but I also think the lack of creativity in the play-calling hurt us just as much.

It was a total snap count for the 2 positions. Cameron does not show up as a receiver.

Also, let's not forget that Cameron missed time with injuries last year. He only played 10 games overall.

Legend
Legend
Browns sign 6th-round pick USC TE Randall Telfer
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...c4-abe7245087d3

The Cleveland Browns on Thursday signed sixth round pick TE Randall Telfer. General Manager Ray Farmer made the announcement.

Telfer is first of the Browns’ 12 draft picks to sign.

Randall Telfer – TE | 6-4, 250 | Southern California

6th round (No. 198 overall)

Played in 48 career games (34 starts) at Southern California … Recorded 65 career receptions for 648 yards and 12 TDs … Earned his bachelor’s degree in political science in the spring of 2014 … Attended Rancho Cucamonga High School in Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I didn't know about the player before we drafted him. I've been trying to look at him but there isn't a lot out there in terms of tape. So I went to the USC web site, looked at game stats and then looked at individual stats where he had receiving production. From there I pulled up USC highlights of those games.

Granted, he wasn't a big part of the USC offense but based on what I saw he has more pass catching ability than is suggested by draft profiles. Although based on a small sample he appears to have offensive ability. Maybe a more traditional inline TE but one with hands, hopefully.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Again, I realize these are highlights. However, he does show more than scouting reports suggest.

[video:google]http://www.patriots.com/video/2015/01/01/2015-draft-prospects-randall-telfer-te-usc[/video]

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

He may be a future Walmart employee of the month from what I hear, unless he has non-football abilities when released.

Legend
Legend
Good you can teach him the ropes.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: berea
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

He may be a future Walmart employee of the month from what I hear, unless he has non-football abilities when released.

"Hear"??? Oh from your Steeler fan buddies... saywhat

rofl what are the odds this guy is a Browns fan. wrong or not - the definition of a troll.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
you would be surprised what you can hear when you are living under a bridge.

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2015 NFL Season The NFL Draft 2015 Browns pick Randall Telfer 198th, tight end USC

Link Copied to Clipboard