OP Offline
Legend
clevelandbrowns.com:

Browns sign Gaines

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
He may be a Walmart Employee of the Month in 3 years, or perhaps get involved with the Adderall as a urine toxicology masking agent club already in place. Then you never know.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
JC...

I really have no idea why we took two CBs...We have Haden, Tramon Williams, Gilbert, Williams, Desir, Neslon (if I recall coaches were really high on him too) then drafted Gaines, and Ifo.

I understand Ifo was to stash away for a minimum of 1 year on IR and see if he can find a career playing after that injury...

I just didn't care for the Gaines pick, as numbers alone I can't see a roster spot for him...I would have been more pleased with say C Andy Gallik...whom has a ton of starting experience at center in a pro style O and should be a good backup center for years...idk I know Pettine loves DBs, but still.

Perhaps looking into it too much...Just a thought I wonder if Gilbert has a suspension coming up and the Browns know already, and they just added insurance? I can't say for fact that Gilbert has a mental illness (possible bipolar) but perhaps he tested positive, and the Browns just grabbed added insurance.

D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs
JC...

Perhaps looking into it too much...Just a thought I wonder if Gilbert has a suspension coming up and the Browns know already, and they just added insurance? I can't say for fact that Gilbert has a mental illness (possible bipolar) but perhaps he tested positive, and the Browns just grabbed added insurance.

Where are you getting all this from ? Did I miss something?

As far as being suspended, he missed or was late for the final game meeting & did not play as a consequence.

Coach P said he was dealing with personal issue (s), but I think it was kept confidential.

Throwing out terms like, Bipolar & mental illness is pretty strong stuff, even if it's only your personal opinion.

E
Legend
Legend
E
You can never have too many CBs...its about upgrades...we had this kid up our charts and saw him as a steal rather than us targeting him. Let him compete...stash him on the practice squad if you can. You never know when injuries can happen. CB depth is important.

Last but not least...WE ARE TALKING ABOUT a 6th round investment are we going to get that picky on we should have done this. I think what was said about our depth right now is good is significant that we made these picks in the 6th and 7th rounds. Possibly Gaines can win a job as gunner...if not then most likely he's going on the practice squad and develop.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: Demo44
JC...

Where are you getting all this from ? Did I miss something?

As far as being suspended, he missed or was late for the final game meeting & did not play as a consequence.

Coach P said he was dealing with personal issue (s), but I think it was kept confidential.

Throwing out terms like, Bipolar & mental illness is pretty strong stuff, even if it's only your personal opinion.

Gilbert was flagged at combine for a character reason...He lit the combine up, yet his buzz was absolutely quiet after the combine...

I have a cousin whom is a sports reporter and follows and interviews the Browns and players intently...(some members will remember from the other board when I had my cousin ask some rather deep questions to Shurmur on the Monday press conference...and a lot on the board got a kick out of it because it was one of the few times Shurmer got upset)

That being said I don't see nor interact with my cousin to the degree that I did several years ago (got engaged, bought a house, work mainly all the holidays as I work with recovering addicts) long story short I still see my cousin once a year at minimum... He's covered the Browns since the return, he knows his stuff. Essentially he's never seen anyone act up to this degree and noted a scuffle in the locker room with Gilbert Haden West and Rubin (Rub was well loved in the locker room) that had to be separated, ...Gilbert was also disrepctful to trainers and an assistant coordinator...

I won't get into too much...considering I have a degree in my work, we also joined in our conversation by a licensed therapist and started talking about bi polar tendencies and depression...Not saying he is nor has been diagnosed... But if ever comes out as that, I for one wouldn't be surprised.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: eotab
You can never have too many CBs...its about upgrades...we had this kid up our charts and saw him as a steal rather than us targeting him. Let him compete...stash him on the practice squad if you can. You never know when injuries can happen. CB depth is important.

Last but not least...WE ARE TALKING ABOUT a 6th round investment are we going to get that picky on we should have done this. I think what was said about our depth right now is good is significant that we made these picks in the 6th and 7th rounds. Possibly Gaines can win a job as gunner...if not then most likely he's going on the practice squad and develop.

jmho

Yeah EO...I think we learned last year that we can't have enough centers too lol...I know DB is vital, I just wonder if he'll even have a spot? But at the same point its merely a late 6th round garbage time pick...Hoping him the best and hopefully he turns into a fine player for us...Maybe with his WR experience he can also be tried as a returner possibly? But at bare minimum hopefully he turns out to be a tough SOB just like Bademosi!

C
Legend
Legend
C
We took a corner because Pettine loves corners/defensive backs. Also, corners/defensive backs are usually some of the main contributors on special teams.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
We took a corner because Pettine loves corners/defensive backs. Also, corners/defensive backs are usually some of the main contributors on special teams.
Bingo!!!

Sometimes you even find a kid who plays better as a pro then college. It might just be better/different coaching or scheme does the trick. "Next man up" concept works if equal skill set exists. Nothing wrong having everyone with the same skill set at every position too.

Browns are about another draft away from having a roster full of players who fit the system. There something we haven't seen in over three decades.

J
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
J
Originally Posted By: bugs
[quote=cfrs15]
Browns are about another draft away from having a roster full of players who fit the system. There something we haven't seen in over three decades.

so long as we dont blow things up again next year...

come on pettine and team!

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: eotab

jmho

Yeah EO...I think we learned last year that we can't have enough centers too lol...I know DB is vital, I just wonder if he'll even have a spot? But at the same point its merely a late 6th round garbage time pick...Hoping him the best and hopefully he turns into a fine player for us...Maybe with his WR experience he can also be tried as a returner possibly? But at bare minimum hopefully he turns out to be a tough SOB just like Bademosi!

At that point of the draft teams aren't looking to fill a need unless it is maybe a kicker. I think it is pretty clear he was our highest rated player available and we took him. I don't think it has anything to do with position.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
It seems to me that it is senseless go exclusively by need in the 6th and 7th rounds, because you are just as likely to find similar talent available as UFDA. I have no problem with the team taking shots in the 6th and 7th ...... guys with issues who may be past then, injured guys, and so on. Take the highest rated guy in these rounds, even if they have issues.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
It seems to me that it is senseless go exclusively by need in the 6th and 7th rounds, because you are just as likely to find similar talent available as UFDA. I have no problem with the team taking shots in the 6th and 7th ...... guys with issues who may be past then, injured guys, and so on. Take the highest rated guy in these rounds, even if they have issues.

From the other point of view, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to take someone who probably can't even crack your roster regardless of round, unless you are stacked at every position / don't think there's anyone who can. Who's spot is he going to take?

Yes, I'm still a little bitter we took him over O'Leary. And Sasser. And Derby. And Dezmin Lewis. And Worthy. And Matias. And I'll shut up now.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: clevesteve
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

From the other point of view, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to take someone who probably can't even crack your roster regardless of round, unless you are stacked at every position / don't think there's anyone who can. Who's spot is he going to take?

Yes, I'm still a little bitter we took him over O'Leary. And Sasser. And Derby. And Dezmin Lewis. And Worthy. And Matias. And I'll shut up now.

What if he is better than your #5 or #6 CB? What if you can trade a guy for value to make room for him. It seems to me like there is always a market for Corners .... even "just" solid depth Corners.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2015 NFL Season The NFL Draft 2015 Browns select Charles Gaines

Link Copied to Clipboard