Next Thread
Print Thread
#981282 08/01/15 08:05 PM
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
I believe the number of celebrities that die each year is growing and will continue to grow.

I base this on the following premises:

1) Before TV and radio and motion pictures there were very, very few celebrities.
2) The proliferation of TVs after WW II created many more “household names”.
3) Before the 1980s and the introduction of cable TV, there were only 3 major TV channels. Now there’s countless more.
4) More of the celebrities from the proliferation era are starting to die off.

For instance, Cy Young pitched from 1890 - 1911. I bet a very low percentage of the population ever heard of him while he was pitching. (my biggest assumption. I'm assuming the only way you'd have heard of him is either newspaper or actually going to the games.)

I think a much higher percentage of the population has heard of say... Roger Clemens.

Make sense? Am I the first to think of this?

WARNING: No part of this post may be copied, duplicated or otherwise published without the express written consent of "rockyhilldawg posting LLC".

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yes, Andy, we all are entitled to our 15 minutes of fame.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
You are quite possibly the very first to think of this. rofl

Seriously, I think I differ. I think there are more celebrities than ever and growing exponentially. When I was a youngster there was less vehicles to become a celebrity. In the early 60s there were 3 TV stations(3, 5, and 8) till 2 more came out in UHF(channels 43 & 61). Plus, am radio was it. Fm was a pipe dream away.

Now, with so many different avenues. I think there are less mega-Frank Sinatra celebrities but many more "different segments of society" celebrities.

Nowadays, a celebrity to me or you isn't necessarily a celebrity to he, she or they. Imo, society is "diverse to the umpteenth power" compared to 3 TV stations and am radio.

I mean, there are celebrities that I haven't even heard of before. But then again, how would I know that. rofl

Just a thought.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Legend
Legend
Not that I am waiting, or hoping, for anyone to die or anything .... but I can hear the headlines being recited now ......

"Famed celebrity star (insert name here) passed away today at (age). This person was famous for .... umm .... being famous." crazy

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
I ain't dead yet geez ooo

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Be on the look-out for a few who may soon meet their maker:

George H. W. Bush (the dad)
Yogi Berra
Abe Vigoda
William Shatner
Dick Van Dyke
Arnold Palmer
Jimmy Hoffa
Elvis

Legend
Legend
Is a Celebrity actually dead if they have their head frozen?

Am I possibly the first to think of this?

just sayin'

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Oppssss...

Walt Disney
Ted Williams

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think the bar has been set much lower for what a celebrity actually means. It used to be major stars in motion picture and a few on TV, as well as major athletes.

Now, to be called a celebrity, you don't really even have to be famous for doing anything accept a tabloid headline. The term celebrity has been so watered down it's lost its true meaning. In the days of twitter and the internet, people claim celebrity status but fall short in reality.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I wanted to be a celebrity, so I made a sects tape. No one seemed to care.

#GMSTRONG
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
quote by Pit above:

"I think the bar has been set much lower for what a celebrity actually means"

I agree with this. But I think a celebrity can simply mean: "a well-known person".

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/celebrity?s=t

I guess that makes Tonya Harding and Kim Jung-un celebrities.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
I wanted to be a celebrity, so I made a sects tape. No one seemed to care.

Try using women in your next tape instead of farm animals nanner

Legend
Legend
Quote:
For instance, Cy Young pitched from 1890 - 1911. I bet a very low percentage of the population ever heard of him while he was pitching. (my biggest assumption. I'm assuming the only way you'd have heard of him is either newspaper or actually going to the games.)

I think a much higher percentage of the population has heard of say... Roger Clemens.

I would disagree. Cy Young was a hero in a world with few celebrities, my guess just about everybody knew who he was. Plus, baseball was THE sport back then...

The problem is that the same percentage of people that knew who Cy Young was, now know who Kim Kardashian and Paris Hilton are

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
and more people have seen more videos of Kim and Paris than they have of Cy saywhat

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
RIP Yvonne Craig

Craig was one of those actors/actress' that appeared in a slew of 1960s TV shows.

Batman
Man From U.N.C.L.E.
Star Trek
Dobie Gillis
My Three Sons
The Wild, Wild, West
The Big Valley
Perry Mason

Legend
Legend
I believe the number of celebrities that die each year is growing and will continue to grow.

I base this on the following premises:

1) Before TV and radio and motion pictures there were very, very few celebrities.
2) The proliferation of TVs after WW II created many more “household names”.
3) Before the 1980s and the introduction of cable TV, there were only 3 major TV channels. Now there’s countless more.
4) More of the celebrities from the proliferation era are starting to die off.

...I want to see how you'll enforce that warning. poke smirk

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Perfectly, and no.

There are 1000 times more "celebrities" now than there were at the onset of television... and the number just continues to climb as does the age.

yebat' Putin
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... My dead celebrity theory.

Link Copied to Clipboard