Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Former Browns CEO Joe Banner joins ESPN - Cleveland Browns - Ohio
http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-brow...ksEnabled=false

Former Browns CEO Joe Banner has joined ESPN as an NFL front-office insider, the network announced Thursday.
Below is an ESPN news release about the hire.

Longtime NFL team executive Joe Banner has joined ESPN as a Front Office Insider. He will appear primarily on weekday editions of NFL Insiders beginning Thursday, Sept. 3. He will also contribute to SportsCenter, ESPN Radio, ESPN.com and other platforms.

Banner has spent more than two decades as an NFL front office executive, most notably with the Philadelphia Eagles from 1994-2012. Under his leadership as team president (2001-12), the Eagles captured four straight NFC East titles (2001-04), made the playoffs 12 times, and appeared in five NFC Championship games and Super Bowl XXXIX. Banner served as chief executive officer of the Cleveland Browns (2012-14) and had most recently worked with the Atlanta Falcons.

“Joe brings another smart, experienced front office voice to the NFL Insiders that will help educate our viewers on the inner workings of the league,” said Markman. “He is also unafraid to share his opinions on personnel decisions, a tremendous asset to NFL Insiders and SportsCenter’s coverage.”

Banner is the newest addition to ESPN’s daily NFL news and information program featuring veteran journalists and front office experts including former NFL team executives like Hall of Famer Bill Polian, Louis Riddick, Mark Dominik and Phil Savage.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
If you follow him on twitter he's full of drama. I can see how a network would like having his controversy on the air, but I still don't have to like him

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
Thankfully he didn't pop a gig on NFL Network. I actually like that channel, lol.

S
Legend
Legend
S
If he's anything like he is on twitter, it will be a must watch.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
If you follow him on twitter he's full of drama. I can see how a network would like having his controversy on the air, but I still don't have to like him

He is one creepy ass cracker.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I didn't want to hear the guy speak when he was here. I sure don't want to hear him as a network mouthpiece looking for ratings.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: jfanent

in other terms yes

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
But he has a radio face tongue

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
is Lombardi coming along too?- or is he nose to tail with Belichek

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

This is a great move for ESPN. Banner will come off as a smug know-it-all, everyone watching will hate him (except for the one or two here), and the ratings will soar. The Skip Bayless of the NFL shows.

It'll be interesting to see how many times he reference what he did in PHL and CLE, like it does on Twitter....constantly.

If there is one thing I think Joe will bring to the ESPN desk is his perspective on player contracts, cap situations, etc. That, no matter how much people don't like him, will be interesting to hear. He does have significant experience in that regard and will be a change of pace from the usual dialogue.

There is no doubt Banner got this job because of his recent twitter history....I wonder if ESPN will make sure to keep that persona somehow, because he won't be able to have the back-n-forth on TV.

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

That seems racist.

Legend
Legend
Oh Great Googly Boogly. Another talking head that will trash the Browns.

Holy heck,,, it's going to rain ugly on us I bet.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Oh Great Googly Boogly. Another talking head that will trash the Browns.

Holy heck,,, it's going to rain ugly on us I bet.

afraid you are right... too bad too.. I always found him to be fairly intelligent when he didn't let personal bias' get in the way

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
He'll be to the NFL coverage what Paul Finebaum is to the NCAAF coverage .... a dweeb that gets under your skin with data/opinions

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
ugh - I hate Finebaum.... he has I am the smartest guy in the room syndrome

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
Only if we suck, D.

The media licked us like a Charms Blo-Pop last year during our hot streak. When the atmosphere's like that, haters tend to hate a little more quietly.

And maybe he won't. If he wants credibility, he'll play it clean. Folks will respect/listen to him more if he doesn't show obvious bias against any one team.

BUT

We gotta win... or he'll just be another voice in the "Holla-boo-ya Chorus."

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Lemmys_Wart

That seems racist.

Not according to this: http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/creepy-ass-cracker-is-not-racist-says-trayvon-martins-friend-19506887

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Lemmys_Wart

That seems racist.

Not according to this: http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/creepy-ass-cracker-is-not-racist-says-trayvon-martins-friend-19506887

lol wow

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P

so you dont like him but you follow him on twitter?

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: pblack18707

Not necessarily, because it's possible you can see his tweets from other people you follow retweeting him...

Although there are people on twitter who follow people they don't like, which I don't understand at all.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Spergon FTWynn
Originally Posted By: pblack18707

Not necessarily, because it's possible you can see his tweets from other people you follow retweeting him...

Although there are people on twitter who follow people they don't like, which I don't understand at all.

Yes, what he said. I don't follow him, but his tweets aren't private and you can see others arguing with him. He is always getting into it with trolls

Legend
Legend
I don't like him and I follow him. He's so full of himself it's entertaining.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't like his personality or personna, but I thought we finally hit a home run when we obtained Banner. He made a ton of really good moves and it's too bad the idiot media and fan base hated him so much.

We would be much further ahead if we would have retained him. The guy is a shrewd person who exploited other teams and made some really good moves.

Legend
Legend
Another reason for me not to like Twitter or ESPN. ThankGod for the mute button!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Joe Banner Joins ESPN as "NFL Front Office Insider"

Link Copied to Clipboard