Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1657238 09/04/19 08:09 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

There are a number of story lines that could go either way.

Kind of boom or bust stories.

One is Lamar. There seems to be no in between. Some feel he will blow up this year in a good way. Others feel he blow up in a bad way.

Rosen is another story. How long will Fitz last? Will Rosen take over? How will he do.

There are more stories along that line.

Lamar.

Super curious how this will pan out? Everyone knows what kind of threat he is running the ball. Now the Ravens are all in with Lamar. Greg Roman was tasked with developing a Lamar offense. Based upon RPO's. Last year Lamar was a single read guy. One pass option or run. It may have not been drawn up that way but that is how it ended.

Pre-season did not show much regarding Lamar. I have read his throwing mechanics are better. But have yet to see that? Maybe they are.

I have my doubts. When guys are being taught a new way to throw they can easily resort back under live pressure. Or, they can become to conscious and over think.

IMO his results will be mixed. He will be up and down. He will throw picks and at times make plays. The inconsistency will be difficult for the team. They will stand behind him vocally. But turnovers kill teams. The results will reflect the problems 8-8 season.

There are others. Open discussion.

Legend
Legend
i dunno about you, but one story line i'm paying close attention to is whether or not Jimmy G will actually do anything worth a damn.

he got hyped playing in a patriot system that had freaking matt cassel look like a mvp, before getting hurt.

people came at me because i said he's gonna have an injury history....well?

he got paid....for accomplishing absolutely nothing. will he actually stay healthy this season? who knows.

another story line: Cam newton.

i'm a Cam fan, but dude needs to produce this season. 2nd year under norv turner, and weapons around him. he needs to show up this season.

How much better will Rodgers be this season with a new HC? he pushed his old coach out, loss Cobb to the cowboys, and so other than devonte Adams, he has a bunch of unknowns.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
D
Legend
Legend
D
I don’t think Lamar will ever become a good enough passer but even if he does its going to be real tough this year ... there receiving corps is about the youngest in the league ... thats going to hurt him regardless of how much he improved this offseason ....

And the other factor with him is staying healthy .... he’s not the size of Cam or Josh ... he can’t take the hits and last year he didn’t show a propensity to slide ....

There D is going to struggle big time compared to what their used to ...

I’m very curious as to how Foles is going to do in J-Ville .... I think there ready for a huge year with that D and the addition of Foles ... and the thing is .. I don’t think Foles has to be that good ... if Fournette has dedicated himself like he says he has .... that’s a pretty darn good recipe they got cooking there .....

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Personally, I think Lamar will do well. I don't think the Rat's confidence in him is unfounded. I don't think they hang their franchise on a guy they're unsure of. He's definitely a weapon with his feet. And I think he'll develop into a decent passing QB. No matter what happens, we will have to meet and beat the Ravens twice a year to establish dominance in the division and I don't think he (or they) will make it easy.

Rosen, I don't know. You can't deny the talent, but the reports of him being a guy that marches to his own tune are troubling from the point of view that he doesn't seem to be putting it together on the field. I applaud individuality, but being unable to secure the starting role, and the reports coming from his coach that he struggles with body language, getting the team in and out of the huddle, and decision making are very troubling. Maybe the NFL isn't for him. If that's the case, it's a shame, because he has the tools.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Jimmy G went 5 and 0 down the stretch after he was traded to SF.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Interesting.

Those are all great questions.

IMO.

Jimmy G will pan out. He has been under adverse conditions. SF now is a more mature team with weapons and Jimmy is a very accurate passer. This year though is a prove it year.

Cam.
He was hurt last year and it was obvious. The first time I watched him. I knew his shoulder was damaged. Having gone through two rotator cuff surgeries I know the symptoms. He has never been a super accurate passer. But Cam is a player. The question is can he stay healthy the way he plays? Cam takes a lot of chances running. Even though he is a huge guy. Running often as a QB can be dangerous.

Rodgers.

This guy is a great player. I have no doubts about him. He just needs some tools around him. I have not been on top of what GB has done as far as there roster. But Rodgers can succeed with average around him. He is that good. From what I have heard he will have full control regarding play options and check outs. so I believe he will do well.

Legend
Legend
To add to the list you guys have started:

- Will Mariota and Winston prove to earn next contracts or will their teams be searching again?

- Can Houston protect Watson?

- What happens with Melvin Gordon?

- Who wins the NFC North? To me, that’s a TIGHT division

- Do Brees and Brady still got enough left?

- Sophomore QBs (Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Baker, Lamar)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
1st String
1st String
To add another

Will Todd Gurley's knees hold up this season?

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Jimmy G went 5 and 0 down the stretch after he was traded to SF.

Yea, 2 seasons ago. What’s he done since then except play Madden on the couch all day?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
Legend
V
I was only addressing the point you made that he only did good in New England. That isn't true. He was 5 and 0 in SF after going 2-0 in NE. He got hurt two last year in an early season game, but I will concede the team had a poor record at the time. They might have been 1-2 or 1-3 going into that game.

But, it's wrong to say he only won in NE. The 5 and 0 thing is real.

But hey, if that is the guy you wanna slam...............go for it. This place is maddening.

Legend
Legend
We will see about jimmy G. Just not sold on him.

I don’t cam has got hurt all that much running. He’s had some freak injuries, such as the car accident. He should be healthy now, so we need some growth.

As far as Lamar Jackson, we will see. My bold prediction was a 3000 passing, 1000 yard rushing season.

Honestly if he stays healthy the whole season, that might not be all that bold. But he needs to take a step forward. Not a massive step, but just solid progress. Them solidifying the run game with Ingram certainly helps in his development as well.

So I have another story line:

What’s the over/under on the Antonio brown implosion? 6 games? 5?

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If they don't wear brown and orange, they don't matter!

Legend
Legend
The thread is about story lines.

Wondering if Jimmy G will actually be on the field to do anything is most certainly a valid question.

Sorry for talking bad about your lord and savior. He’s been so irrelevant I forgot all about those meaningless games.

Last edited by Swish; 09/04/19 10:59 PM.

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
Legend
V
Damn, y'all............

I can't even bring facts to the table w/out BS insults.

Later...

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I guess the question would be are the Ravens really that confident in Lamar or was there just that much lack of confidence in Flacco?

Flacco in Denver intrigues me. I think he'll have a pretty good season.

Legend
Legend
I agree w/this ... I think Flacco and the Broncos might be a surprise team. Their D is pretty good and they have some young weapons on O. Of course, they have a tough division, but I still think they could compete.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Admittedly, I haven’t read a lot on Lamar, but what I have read has been positive in terms of his growth this year. We’ll have to wait and see.

I agree about Flaco. Should be interesting.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
J/c

Seeing the CBS predictions and watching the NFLN, it seems like quite a few people are high on the Jets and Darnold ... and not so much on the Raiders (looking at their schedule, it’s brutal)

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I won't say Lamar can't succeed, but I will say this. Most QB's don't become accurate AFTER they're drafted. They get drafted because they are accurate. Maybe he can improve on his passing, but once you've made it to the NFL that improvement in your accuracy isn't usually improved by much.

Rushing QB's usually always get figured out once you get some film on them and teams have that now.

For Rosen's sake, I hope he doesn't start this year. If you could find a worse team in terms of protection to go to than Arizona, Miami may be it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Mariota and Winston?

Both came into the league as high ranked prospects.

I for one was very high on Mariota.

Winston should improve under Arians. He loves passers like Winston. However, the Bucs are a depleted team. It may not go as planned there.

Mariota will not be not be replaced by Tannehill IMO.

Mariota has all the tools required to do well. He has been injured some but I see no reason why he will lose his position.

Houston made a big move to get Tunsil. They needed to do that. The Texans have a good team. Watson has played very well. He is a natural leader and I expect them to have a good season.

Gordon??

Brees and Brady. Years ago both would be in retirement. The rules to protect quarterbacks have given both extra years. I see no reason to do anything other than what they have done throughout their careers.

Sophomores:

I expect Darnold to show great improvement. He has what it takes.

Allen will also improve but I think he will still have issues with accuracy.

Rosen has to win the starters role first.

Lamar I have covered extensively.

Baker I expect will build upon what he did last year. He will get better with his reads. He has weapons. We can run with Chubb. All that points to getting better.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted By: Swish
i dunno about you, but one story line i'm paying close attention to is whether or not Jimmy G will actually do anything worth a damn.

After all things Browns, I'm interested in this as well.

Legend
Legend
I agree w/you on most all of what you said. I think Darnold will be good as well and will show it this year. I also think Winston improves with Arians ... and I think he’ll be re-signed. Mariota? I’m less sure about

1st String
1st String

Report: Raiders plan to suspend Brown
https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1826042

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: BustkeviousMingo

So the over under was 0.5?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Lol this is a clown show in oak town

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

AB is a great receiver but really?

At some point (as we know) a team can not tolerate exceptions to rules.

Glad he is not on our team.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

I am pretty sure Mariota has had a new OC every year.

That is not helpful to a quarterback.

Legend
Legend
Yeah just ask Alex Smith the first 10 years or so

Rookie
Rookie
Originally Posted By: bonefish

I am pretty sure Mariota has had a new OC every year.

That is not helpful to a quarterback.

I recall this happening with Kosar early in his career here.

M
Legend
Legend
M
A lot of interesting, intriguing, compelling story lines to watch this season - not the least of which is the Browns themselves....

My take on the players discussed:

Lamar - will continue to be an electric athlete, unlikely to be a good throwing QB, likely to get slowed at some-point by injury. I just don't see him being able to sustain such a big slice of the rushing attack without getting dinked up. And as soon as he slows down or becomes concerned about contact I think he loses all his value as a QB ...

Rosen - I was always wary of the discussion/perception that his mental make up was not a good fit for the NFL. Not being able to win the starting roster slot is a blessing but it's also a damning indictment. I don't ever expect to see Rosen discussed as a top 20 QB in the NFL personally.

Cam - another supreme athlete - bigger and stronger but aging now and has suffered those injuries. . . I'm expecting an up and down seeason and performances. I cooled on Cam the year they went to the SB, I loved the smiles and attitude throughout the season when they were winning but thought he was exposed as a fraud with his post SB reaction.

Jimmy G - he has a massive hurdle to overcome mentally. But I fully expect him to return to being an accurate intelligent QB ... it may take a few games but I expect 49ers to be good by the time the season is half way through.

Mariota and Winston - man they have been disappointing compared to the hype they received when they came into the league ... I thought both were going to be very good. I think Winston has the bigger likelihood to bounce back under Arians and relaunch his career. . . . I've sort of lost faith in Mariota, expect him to be average-ish. Other than Game 1 - I hope I am wrong.

Rodgers - I wouldn't have put him on the list, but I guess the way last season ended and with the coaching change there is something interesting to see there. But I have strong belief that Rodgers is an elite QB And will be great regardless of what is going on... looking forward to tonight's game!

The more things change the more they stay the same.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I can't argue against what you're saying about Lamar. I feel like he could turn a corner for the good or end up the next Vince Young. I remember the hype on Young when he led the Titans to an 8 win sesson after they started with like 7 losses in first 8 games or something... very similar to Lamar although the Ravens were a better team than the Titans....

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
I don’t think Lamar will ever become a good enough passer but even if he does its going to be real tough this year ... there receiving corps is about the youngest in the league ... thats going to hurt him regardless of how much he improved this offseason ....

And the other factor with him is staying healthy .... he’s not the size of Cam or Josh ... he can’t take the hits and last year he didn’t show a propensity to slide ....

There D is going to struggle big time compared to what their used to ...

I’m very curious as to how Foles is going to do in J-Ville .... I think there ready for a huge year with that D and the addition of Foles ... and the thing is .. I don’t think Foles has to be that good ... if Fournette has dedicated himself like he says he has .... that’s a pretty darn good recipe they got cooking there .....

I think much of what you said is wishful thinking.

One of the things that I find striking about the Rats and Pittsburgh for that matter is people write them off and then there they are again right back on top, thats not to say they don't have bad years but it never lasts long.

That said this may very well be a transition year for them and it may not be even that. These teams have shown they can develop and deploy talent, move on from players and replace them with near equal talent or even better talent.

Take Pitt, they have shown they can draft and develop WR's at what for Browns fans should an alarming rate from Swan to Brown. They get backs that bring balance to their offense. The one area they seem to suffer with is QB's but with Ben in the fold that at least in the present isn't a concern. As long as he is there though they are in the game.

The Rats have a dead end QB, you don't teach accuracy your QB either has it or he don't that make the Rats offense 1 dimensional, the one and only advantage to that is they will run an offense nobody else does, while that certainly worked in their favor last year I don't see that happening this year, the element of surprise for them at least is over. Lamar is a dud and I am actually shocked they would sell the farm for a QB so lacking in the basics of what it takes to be an NFL QB.

The Browns are missing a key element as well for all the talent they truly have continuity will come knocking again, if there truly is an advantage for Pitt and the Rats its continuity and developed tried and true system of how to prepare and win football games. We simply don't have that, hell we don't even have a player on our rosters that has won consistently at this level. We simply have inexperience with winning. Talent wins but so does continuity I guess that would be my point.

In the end I think talent wins or it sure helps win, we are about to find out and I for one can't wait.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Browns: Can we live up to the hype? How does the team respond if they start 1-3?

Chiefs: How good will they be this year? Can they be stopped? And how good will Mahommes be in year 3?

Broncos: It will be interesting to see how Flacco plays in big D. Definitely something to watch.

Raiders: What will this train wreck really be like this year? Man, things are looking very disfunctional out there.

Vikings: Can Vikings and Cousins get it together this year?

Mayfield: Can he build on last season or will it be the dreaded "sophmore slump"?

Lamar: He's dumb, can't pass, and will get broken one day; the Ravens are one knee injury away from 3-13.

Darnold: I doubt he rises to heights of NFL QB stardom, can't handle the pressure. Similarly, why are the Jets supposed to be good this year?

Rosen: Bust

Winston: Average QB at best.

Cam Newton: A Richard Head, great when things are going his way, not so great when they don't...sorry never liked the guy.

Kyle Murray: How will he do this season? Can he lift the team?

Last edited by SunDawg; 09/07/19 10:18 AM.
1st String
1st String

Brown says he won't play with guaranteed money voided: 'Release me'
https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1827205

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Valid points.

However, the difference this year is defensive pressure.

All camp the word has been by all coaches and coordinators is; that the strength of this team is the DL.

What we did see (limited) has been very impressive.

There are three pro bowl players and a up and coming tackle in Ogunjobi. In addition depth is there when trying to keep the starters fresh. D. Lawerence and Ekuale have been very good in rotation.

When great quarterbacks struggle it is because of pressure that comes from a front four consistently. They will beat blitz's with hot reads. But when a front four can really pressure then the back end can do all kinds of things in coverage.

That to me will be the difference this year.

We have the talent to score. But scoring is not always assured. There are other good defenses.

But when you can consistently play good defense and not turn the ball over on offense. You will win a lot of games.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Oh I get all that Bone and how they play good or bad will most likely at the end of the day determine how well this team does this year.

They will also benefit from time playing together and should be better in the end as continuity within the unit takes hold.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
Legend

Brown says he won't play with guaranteed money voided: 'Release me'
https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1827205

This is like watching a train wreck with boxcars full of explosives. You know it's dangerous, and people could be hurt, but you just can't look away.

I hope he doesn't show, and they put him on the "did not report" list. which could freeze his contract in place. His actions deserve no less.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

What I like is this front four is really good and they are the right age. Richardson and Vernon are proven young vets 28 years old. Garrett is 23 years old and in his third year. Ogunjobi is 25 in his third year.

These are really good players in their prime.

The backers Schobert and Kirksey both good young vets.

The Db's are good and deep. Dorsey dumped all the guys from the past and totally rebuilt the backfield. Every guy in the backfield has a role. There is a diversity and flexibility to play nickle and dime.

This defense could be better than we can imagine. Because we have never had a front four like this. With Ward, Randall, and Mitchell we have ball hawks who can get int's.

A defense like this can get three and outs but also can get turnovers.

When we play teams like the Pats, Rams, Seahawks, Steelers we will need this defense.

All Pro
All Pro
Ask and you shall receive, AB.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Medical question

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Which Way Will It Go

Link Copied to Clipboard