Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
1st String
OP Offline
1st String
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf...ach/2599247001/
Carolina Panthers fire coach Ron Rivera after nearly 9 years

The Carolina Panthers announced Tuesday that they have fired head coach Ron Rivera, abruptly ending his nearly nine-year tenure with the team.

Rivera, 57, led the Panthers to an overall regular-season record of 76-63-1, including a 5-7 mark so far this year. Carolina is in the midst of a four-game losing streak with four games left to play in 2019.

"I believe this is the best decision for the long-term success of our team," Panthers owner David Tepper said in a statement. "I have a great deal of respect for Ron and the contributions he has made to this franchise and to this community. I wish him the best. I will immediately begin the search for the next head coach of the Carolina Panthers."

Secondary coach Perry Fewell will serve as the interim coach for the remainder of 2019.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill
M
Legend
Legend
M
Get him on the horn!

Legend
Legend
Bring him over here.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I VANT ONE! I VANT ONE!

M
Legend
Legend
M

Legend
Legend

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I am not usually a person that wants a retread coach. Ron Rivera would be a great hire. He is respectable, has run a team successfully, and hires coordinators and let's them work. It doesn't hurt that he and Steve Wilks are long time co-workers.

P
Legend
Legend
P
We currently have a HC.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
We currently have a HC.

Obviously. I didn't say we should fire him.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not a CPA, but the math would indicate that in order to hire Rivera you would have to fire Kitchens.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
We currently have a HC.

Fire him immediately!

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
P
Legend
Legend
P
After 12 games as HC. Perfect sense. I mean that has worked so well here in the past.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Ron Rivera, a total of 13 games over .500 (and he had a 15-1 season in that) .... with 3 winning seasons out of 9. He did take his team to a Super Bowl .... but other than that .... a few early exits from the playoffs.

I don't see him as some great option.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No thanks.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Ron Rivera, a total of 13 games over .500 (and he had a 15-1 season in that) .... with 3 winning seasons out of 9. He did take his team to a Super Bowl .... but other than that .... a few early exits from the playoffs.

Please don't discredit Rivera. I can't imagine how difficult it is to be the head coach of an organization, and potentially finish a LONGGGGG career with a win record over 0.500. 0.546 to be exact.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I'll take the Zero.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
After 12 games as HC. Perfect sense. I mean that has worked so well here in the past.

Hue Jackson.

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Pretty cool...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Dallas should hire him.

Just my 2 cents.

Legend
Legend
That’s an awesome and telling photo

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

Hue Jackson.

“I ask the fans to exercise a degree of patience,” he said. “We are building this thing to last 10 years, not just have one good year.” - John Dorsey

In a microwave, have everything at your fingertips society, I have no idea why he thought anyone would listen to him.

#gmstrong
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

That resume seems to be exponentially better than any other Head Coaches we have hired in the past 20 years.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
He's a good coach. One thing I always liked about him was he was one of the rare coaches who actually used the scheme best fit for his players, unlike many others. So he's used both 3-4 and 4-3 in his career, though that is a distinction losing its difference now, with so many teams using hybrid schemes.

I also liked the 'Riverboat Ron' from earlier years. Though that was just an earlier (and less refined) version of what coaches like John Harbaugh and Frank Reich are doing... going for it on some 4th down situations where it it obviously the correct play, but where coaches would traditionally punt or attempt a FG instead.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Hue Jackson.

“I ask the fans to exercise a degree of patience,” he said. “We are building this thing to last 10 years, not just have one good year.” - John Dorsey

In a microwave, have everything at your fingertips society, I have no idea why he thought anyone would listen to him.

This is coming from the guy wanting the last regime fired after 18 months.

Here is another quote..."Do as I say, not as I do."

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
He just had a nice goodbye press conference ... seems like a great guy

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
That's funny, I could have sworn I wanted to keep Hue going into last season. I mean with all of those talented QB's he was given before Dorsey drafted Mayfield, how did he not win more?

wink

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B

Hue Jackson.

In a microwave, have everything at your fingertips society, I have no idea why he thought anyone anyone would listen to him.

Many people are always looking for a new flavor.

Rivera was/is a decent head coach, but that is all he would be here.

It's way too soon to make decisions on Kitchens. Obviously some things will need to change, but thinking about making a change before maybe game 10 next year are foolish. Maybe the bye next year unless we draw a week 4 bye.

We hired the guy, he deserves a chance to get it done. I was no fan of Hue, but wasn't calling for him to be fired his first year. Once he was sitting at 1-31 or whatever it was, sure, it wasn't working.

I will say a thing or two about talent. You can't have too much talent on a team. You can have too much talent at a position.

You play 2-3 receivers, but in the end it is 1 position. You can play 2 backs, but it is still 1 position. You feed those positions. You don't feed defensive positions. You don't feed O-line positions.

Dorsey have done a good job of bringing in talented skill position players, but they all play the same position. I think that is a part of Bakers problem. As a QB you are trying to feed those guys. You know they are in the QBs ear about touches. The lineman aren't in his ear about calling more running plays their way so they can make more key blocks.

John needs to spend the nest year or two on bringing in foundation players....players on D and O-line.

Oh....by the way, we need to play Steve Carlson way more the rest of the way. That guy is way better than Njoku or any of the other stiffs we line up at the TE position. That guy is a TE of the future...I just hope it is for us.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

Hue Jackson.

This is coming from the guy wanting the last regime fired after 18 months.

Here is another quote..."Do as I say, not as I do."

I don't know if 18 months is too short, but less that 1 season is...no?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
That's funny, I could have sworn I wanted to keep Hue going into last season. I mean with all of those talented QB's he was given before Dorsey drafted Mayfield, how did he not win more?

wink

I am sticking up for you in this conversation, but no, 1 win in 2 seasons isn't worth keeping.

Let's stay current and not go back to old arguments.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Yep, that's what I was referring to. poke

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Carlson is more of a complete TE than anyone I've seen on the roster.

And I certainly agree with the rest of your post.

It seemed most everyone, including the media, acted like a rookie HC with zero HC experience was going to come in and light the world on fire. Some of us had more realistic expectations. The same goes with Baker.

In a situation like that, common sense rather than emotion dictate it's going to be a work in progress. That such a HC is going to take developing. IMO Dorsey understood that. Which is why he said... “I ask the fans to exercise a degree of patience,” he said. “We are building this thing to last 10 years, not just have one good year.”

That doesn't mean Freddie will end up being a good HC. It means none of us know yet. The process will have to play out going into next year before we even actually have a clue.

And to touch back upon Baker. I think people have to be honest enough to agree that he certainly didn't do well the first half of the season. Not well at all. Actually I would say bad. Even now he appears very streaky with his accuracy but he is doing better on cutting down his mistakes.

But just like Freddie, Baker is not a finished product. The HC position has been a revolving door. By my count this is the third system he has had to learn in less than two seasons. That's certainly not conducive to developing an NFL QB.

I know patience is a hard word for Browns fans. I mean we've all been patient since 1999 with very little reward to show for it. But each FO we have gone through deserves their own blame. Each also deserves their own chance to succeed.

From a fan perspective it's easy to bunch everyone together from 1999 until now and not separate each into it's own entity. IMO, that's why we see such a turn on coaches and FO's in less than a single season. In this case the HC. I think it's a naive and narrow minded way top approach it.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Yep, that's what I was referring to. poke

Maybe you should enlighten us rather than spew drivel.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

Hue Jackson.

Yes trading 1st round picks and and former 1st round picks for players ready to win now in their prime screams building for the future and not building for now.

John is not dumb, he said this quote to temper the storms in the event they had a setback. They hit a dang roadblock the size of Yokozuna.

Johnny boy made great moves on paper, sometimes paper doesn't mean much in terms of on the actual football field. Once again, the browns won the offseason and cared little about what it actually takes to win games. But hey, they sold a crap ton of merch and tickets this year.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Miss Cleo, is that you?

Your powers of mind reading leave me awe struck.

Anyone with an ounce of common sense knew that a guy who had never been a HC before would most likely struggle early. Just not you?

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Miss Cleo, is that you?

Anyone with an ounce of common sense knew that a guy who had never been a HC before would most likely struggle early. Just not you?

Yep, Tomlin, Pederson, Mcvay, Paul Brown went 12-2, John Madden, Bill Cowher, etc etc.

Many coaches, with a lot less talent have produced better results and didn't have the struggles. You want to use Kitches as a crutch to take the blame of Dorsey, forgetting it was Dorsey whom hired kitchens in the first place.

M
Legend
Legend
M
^ He gets it!

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
You want to be a cannibal at the first sight of blood.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Miss Cleo, is that you?

Yep, Tomlin, Pederson, Mcvay, Paul Brown went 12-2, John Madden, Bill Cowher, etc etc.

Many coaches, with a lot less talent have produced better results and didn't have the struggles. You want to use Kitches as a crutch to take the blame of Dorsey, forgetting it was Dorsey whom hired kitchens in the first place.

My thought is, if it was obvious Freddie was going to struggle, why would Dorsey hire him with a team that is built to win now?

Obviously, you will not be able to keep this team together for the long term with players like Garrett, Baker, Chubb, Schobert, Ward that will be coming off their cheap rookie contracts in the near future. Hunt is going to want to get paid as well.

You likely won't be able to keep both OBJ and Landry together at their salaries and expect to pay all the others.

Why make trades for guys like Vernon that are short term moves? Why sign guys like Sheldon Richardson that is another short term move unless you're in win now mode?

This actually seems like Dorsey put Freddie in position he clearly is not qualified for at this time with a team that has the talent level to win immediately.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Because fans only see what they want to see and only believe what they want to believe. Even when the man in charge of it all tells them the truth up front.

#gmstrong
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Carolina Panthers fire Ron Rivera

Link Copied to Clipboard