OP Offline
Legend
O
So our Dline for the Miami game will be:

Chad Thomas
Devaroe Lawrence
Sheldon Richardson
Chris Smith

Eli Ankou and Brian Cox are backups, with Larry Ogunjobi coming back the following week. Olivier Vernon is nursing a sprained knee and his return date is an unknown.

I think we will be okay on the Dline when Vernon and Ogunjobi return. Hopefully Vernon is back before the Pitt game. Until then it's a weakness. Fitzmagic might have all day to pass without a lot of CB/Safety blitzing.

Our cornerbacks are in good shape moving forward, but it looks like we've lost starting safety Morgan Burnett for the season and Eric Murray is injured as well. Luckily Damarious Randall was not suspended because we are super thin at safety as is.

All in all losing Garrett for the season hurts but I think we can survive and still win several games down the stretch with the offense seemingly coming into its own a little each week.

I'm still optimistic going down the stretch. Every game is winnable IMHO.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 11/16/19 02:03 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
We need Vernon to get back of course ... good thing we play Miami and not Pittsburgh without Larry O.

Lawrence will see more snaps IMO .. wonder if he can rotate at DE as well?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Thank goodness we traded Avery for a 4th round lottery ticket!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Would not be surprised at all of we lose this one with all these injuries. Mix in freddy's horrible play calling and it's a recipe for defeat

Last edited by slick; 11/16/19 02:48 PM.

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
slick #1695159 11/16/19 03:11 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Baker had a good game against a good d. Miami doesn’t have a good d. We put up points and win this

Joe Thomas #73
B
1st String
1st String
B
yeah, we can still beat Miami and Cincy, as for anybody else, not sure we win more than those games. That would be 3, so we end the season at 6-10...EPIC FAIL

Nobody will step up to take Garrett's place, nobody is that good, we barely got pressure with Myles, without him, we wo't hardly sniff the backfield. jmo

Last edited by BarkinMad; 11/16/19 03:18 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No men left to stand up.

BADdog #1695165 11/16/19 03:33 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: BADdog
Baker had a good game against a good d. Miami doesn’t have a good d. We put up points and win this

This.

I predict an offensive explosion.

Rishuz #1695166 11/16/19 03:42 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
I also think Baker is gaining some maturity. Pretty candid interview with Erin Andrews before and after the game. He knows they didn't work hard enough in the off season. He's admitting it. I think this will serve him well moving forward.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
slick #1695168 11/16/19 03:53 PM
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
You know slick, I do not know how many I see posting something like that. Horrible play calling, terrible play calling etc. I have a feeling if I took all posters who are hyper critical of Freddie’s play calling and added up their years of calling plays at the highest level of football I would get a number probably about....rounding it to the closest hole number, of maybe about 0.

Do you really think all of us football geniuses who watch browns games from our family room know anything about calling plays that our coaches don’t know? For the most part we don’t like a play all bacause it is not successful. The call stunk, we did not gain a yard. Now maybe we did not gain a yard because two linemen did not block or a receiver ran a wrong route or the qb threw a bad pass. the fact that you, I or some other fan does not like a call does not make it a terrible play call.

Legend
Legend
I heard that he's pretty good .... rofl

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Rishuz #1695178 11/16/19 05:24 PM
Legend
Legend

Life with no Myles is still life.

Time to move on. No different than if he got injured.

So, our three DE's are Vernon, Chad Thomas, and Chris Smith. At tackle with Lawrence.

Of course none of these guys are Myles Garrett.

What can we expect? Obviously we will not get the pressure we had with Garrett. All we can hope for is that Vernon steps up. And that Thomas and Smith are adequate.

We will have to depend more on our ability to cover.

I don't know if Wilks can depend upon a 4-2 like he has done so far. Adarius Taylor has not shown much. So I am uncertain how Wilks will play it?

The impact of losing Myles will be hard to make up.

So, my hope is Baker and Odell find it. That they get in sync and become what we thought they would be like when the trade was made. So far they have not done much.

Hunt is a big add. He can run, catch, and block. Chubb will get his.

Teller has taken over for Kush. So far so good.

Njoku is eligible to come off IR week 12 which is this week but has not yet been cleared to practice.

His return will help.
For one he was a real threat in the red zone with his length and jumping ability. He should be a good add for the offense.

The schedule. The weaklings are the Dolphins, and Bengals. that's three games. The Raven and Steeler games will be as always a task. The Cardinals are no easy pickings. They have played people tough and Murray presents problems. He has played well.

We can win out. But we will have to be a more effective offense. Our defense will have to hang in there and play smart.

Legend
Legend
Did we have to give up much for him? Hope he is a real baller!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
brownie

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
The college I played for redshirted a QB who got ruled ineligible because he played under an assumed name for the JV team the same year (yeah, it was a LONG time ago).

It was such a crazy name I'll never forget it...Lenny Fassbinder. "Niles Jarret" brought back that memory, lol.

P
Legend
Legend
P
"Some Posters" said (and you know who you are) Myles was worthless anyway a wasted pick and we need to trade him or cut him among other things, so you got your wish hes gone (for now) ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
I don't think Garret will be out very long.

Rumors are the NFL is contemplating 2-4 games. Garret has no prior suspensions, and the NFL Rulebook is on Garrets side. Anymore than 4 games, and the NFLPA is going to get involved. The league office knows this, they have their hands tied because technically what Garret did isn't really a suspendable offense according to the rule book of the league. This is why they are meeting with Garret so soon.

I think Garret will be out this week vs the Dolphins, Next week vs the Steelers, and will back either the following game or the game after.

Its doubtful he will be out much longer than that. the NFLPA doesn't want the precendent set that the league can just do whatever it wants, and the guys in charge of the appeals Derrick Brooks is a pretty reasonable guy, he is going to look at the whole situation, including what Rudolph did to Garret, I think Garret may see a much larger fine, but much less games suspended.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I hope you are right.

No Craps Given
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Originally Posted By: keithfromxenia
You know slick, I do not know how many I see posting something like that. Horrible play calling, terrible play calling etc. I have a feeling if I took all posters who are hyper critical of Freddie’s play calling and added up their years of calling plays at the highest level of football I would get a number probably about....rounding it to the closest hole number, of maybe about 0.

Do you really think all of us football geniuses who watch browns games from our family room know anything about calling plays that our coaches don’t know? For the most part we don’t like a play all bacause it is not successful. The call stunk, we did not gain a yard. Now maybe we did not gain a yard because two linemen did not block or a receiver ran a wrong route or the qb threw a bad pass. the fact that you, I or some other fan does not like a call does not make it a terrible play call.

You dont need to have playcalling experience to know that going empty backfield when in a shotgun when your backed up to your own 2 yard line is not a good idea

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
bonefish #1695227 11/16/19 09:46 PM
Legend
Legend

Was re-watching the game today.

Hubbard I don't think he made a decent block all game.

Watt beat him on every play when Hubbard attempted to block him. Then P. Brown the TE lined up on Watt. It was like open air once again. Teller was decent at RG.

Hubbard is so uncoordinated. He always upright. Long legs and he doesn't drop his hips. He gets beat so easy. He can not handle a speed rusher to save his life.

Rishuz #1695232 11/16/19 10:20 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
I also think Baker is gaining some maturity. Pretty candid interview with Erin Andrews before and after the game. He knows they didn't work hard enough in the off season. He's admitting it. I think this will serve him well moving forward.

It will.

As I have said several times before, I can give Baker a pass for last off season.

That first NFL season is a long one. It basically starts after the final college bowl game and doesn't end until the end of the NFL season. Add in he won a Heisman, which puts a demand on time. The guy spent the best part of 2 years doing nothing but football. That takes a toll.

Those guys are worn out. Add in the fact the guy got married last off season. Like it or not, that chews up a lot of time.

The team is going to rally behind Myles. The O is going to score points and the D is going to put grass stains on the opposing QB.

Losing Garrett for the season hurts us a lot, but the Steelers losing Pouncey against us in 2 weeks hurts them more for that game. Pouncey is a darn good player. We are going to take advantage of that missing link.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
bonefish #1695233 11/16/19 10:30 PM
Legend
Legend
Agreed on Hubbard. All season I’ve thought he’s been the weak link, despite the talk of RG and LT. I think improving the RT will do WONDERS for our offense

EveDawg #1695238 11/16/19 10:42 PM
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
I hope you are right.

good news

Jim Irsay, Owner of the Colts has come out publically supporting Myles Garrett

this def helps Garrets cause.

Dawgs4Life #1695239 11/16/19 10:57 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Agreed on Hubbard. All season I’ve thought he’s been the weak link, despite the talk of RG and LT. I think improving the RT will do WONDERS for our offense

Perhaps that is Drew Forbes' spot soon?

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

Perhaps that is Drew Forbes' spot soon?
could be, yes ... hopefully he’d be an upgrade

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Any news on us bringing or promoting anyone at DE?

-JC...I thought Teller played better than last week for sure, but for a power guy...He really struggles to gain a large push...But hopefully he keeps progressing (as he's still young and green)...Agreed that Hubbard was owned all night...Robinson struggled at times as well. Hopefully we can obtain some upgrades this off-season.

tru_dawgs #1695274 11/17/19 06:29 AM
Legend
Legend
I’ve been waiting on news of us looking at DEs too

Dawgs4Life #1695278 11/17/19 08:20 AM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Hopefully the team rally's around this whole incident with Myles and comes together. Short term it will hurt us but it may have positive long term results as far as discipline and maturing. This will also give some younger players a chance to step up and show what they can do.

slick #1695279 11/17/19 08:24 AM
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
slick, that play is a perfect example of what I am talking about. You make a couple of assumptions when you call a play. One of them is that our offensive linemen will DO THEIR JOBS!!!! Sorry didn’t mean to shout. So then two of our o linemen do a credible imitation of a turnstile and the defensive linemen are on baker before he can turn around. The problem was not the call it was that two offensive linemen did not do their job.

tru_dawgs #1695283 11/17/19 09:09 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs
Any news on us bringing or promoting anyone at DE?

As off-the-wall as this sounds, could we use one of our TE's as a DE?

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend

Everybody gets beat at times.

However, I have seen Robinson and Hubbard wiff so badly it is comical.

I mean line up across from a guy and when the ball is snapped never touch the guy.

It is one thing to get pushed back. Another to get beat by various moves inside and out.

But I mean ole never touch your man.

Pharaoh Brown I am pretty certain blocking is a foreign substance to him. I mean watch his futile attempts.

These two positions need upgrades.

bbrowns32 #1695337 11/17/19 12:42 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
We could.

Probably wouldn't go well, but there is no rule against it.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
I hope you are right.

good news

Jim Irsay, Owner of the Colts has come out publically supporting Myles Garrett

this def helps Garrets cause.

Does it, though?

Jim Irsay...

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
Regarding our next 2 games...

Honestly, this team just needs to focus. If we lose to Miami, it will be because we looked past them to Pitt. Get your backups set, get your offense ready, and come out and pummel a weak Dolphins team.

We need Eric Murray and Vernon to heal up for the trip to P'burgh.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
This is an interesting solution. It deserves a hard look and consideration. Too few positions on OL to carry the slack we leave blocking overall. If we had arun-side RT wed could upgrade lots offense IMO. The slackers, the weak or late or such blockers, wreck more than their own letdown.

Brilliant, Purp! thumbsup

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Originally Posted By: keithfromxenia
slick, that play is a perfect example of what I am talking about. You make a couple of assumptions when you call a play. One of them is that our offensive linemen will DO THEIR JOBS!!!! Sorry didn’t mean to shout. So then two of our o linemen do a credible imitation of a turnstile and the defensive linemen are on baker before he can turn around. The problem was not the call it was that two offensive linemen did not do their job.

Once again I disagree. Yes the o linemen have to do thier job. However baker has been sacked for a safety 2 times this year and it was the exact situation I described both times. Being backed up on your own goal line in a shotgun with a empty backfield makes it impossible to pick up the blitz if they bring to many defenders to block. That's what happened both times. That's why I say it's bad playcalling. You dont go empty shotgun on your own 2 yard line.

Legend
Legend
The shame is that Garrett destroyed the Steelers LT in this game. It will be hard to get anything like that same amount of pressure without him in the lineup.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
O
Legend
Legend
O
True, however we will hopefully get Vernon back. He's no slouch.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
The shame is that Garrett destroyed the Steelers LT in this game. It will be hard to get anything like that same amount of pressure without him in the lineup.

Like Sheldon Richardson and Ogunjobi crushing the middle of their line where Pouncey won't be??

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Next man up

Link Copied to Clipboard