Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
#1694989 11/15/19 07:24 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Linkage

The NFL rulebook addresses what Garrett did. It is under Rule 12, Section 2, Article 17.

Rule 12 covers player conduct and Section 2 governs personal fouls.

Here is what Article 17 says: “USE OF HELMET AS A WEAPON. A player may not use a helmet that is no longer worn by anyone as a weapon to strike, swing at, or throw at an opponent.

Penalty: For illegal use of a helmet as a weapon: Loss of 15 yards and automatic disqualification. If the foul is by the defense, it is also an automatic first down.”

Article 15 governs grabbing an opponent’s facemask, which applies in this incident, too. This is what it says: “TWISTING, PULLING, OR TURNING THE FACEMASK OR HELMET OPENING. No player shall grasp and control, twist, turn, push, or pull the facemask or helmet opening of an opponent in any direction.

“Note: If a player grasps an opponent’s facemask or helmet opening, he must immediately release it. If he does not immediately release it and controls his opponent, it is a foul.

“Penalty: For twisting, turning, pushing, pulling, or controlling the mask or helmet opening: Loss of 15 yards. The player may be disqualified if the action is flagrant. If the foul is by the defense, it is also an automatic first down.”

Garrett was disqualified, and most agree his actions were flagrant.

The NFL didn’t wait long to hand out punishment to Garrett and others involved in the brouhaha

** I think he's got a point of appeal here..

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Legend
Legend
Hmm

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I would doubt the Browns appeal. They want it all behind them. Appealing will only keep it on the front page longer.

Plus, any appeal would lose. You can defend Myles using a helmet like that. He's LUCKY if he's only out 6 games. I predicted last night, he'll be out for multiple games next season too.

Plus, how do you appeal an indefinite suspension? We don't know exactly how many games right now, so how can it be lowered? Sure, maybe settle on 6 and leave next year open, but the league won't budge on this one.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
They may have to. It's in black and white in the contract w NFLPA

SaintDawg™

Legend
Legend
Quote:
I would doubt the Browns appeal. They want it all behind them. Appealing will only keep it on the front page longer

I hope the Browns have the gonads to stick up for their player while admitting what he did was wrong. There is ZERO precidense for what the NFL is trying to do.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
GMdawg #1695001 11/15/19 07:58 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Quote:
I would doubt the Browns appeal. They want it all behind them. Appealing will only keep it on the front page longer

I hope the Browns have the gonads to stick up for their player while admitting what he did was wrong. There is ZERO precidense for what the NFL is trying to do.

Albert Haynesworth head stomp on Gurode

SaintDawg™

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

Went out to eat and I could see the TV fro my seat. Was on ESPN. Muted, no closed captioning so not sure what was being said. It was about Garrett and they pretty much had the incident on a continuous loop. But just the part with Garret taking Rudolph's helmet off and hitting him with it. Not once did they show how it all started.

Looked like Rudolph was minding his own business, going to choir practice, when Garrett jumped him.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Looks like the Players Association needs to go to bat for Garrett.

#GMSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
I hope Myles appeals this. Suspension should be 3 or 4 games, no more. That dickweed Rudolph should have gotten at least a 1 game suspension. He grabbed and tried to remove Garrett's helmet, kicked him in the junk, came after Garrett when Garrett was trying to fight off DeCastro, punched him in the junk again, and then got a glancing blow from the padded portion of the helmet. He's lucky Garrett didn't make him eat the helmet.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg
Quote:

Albert Haynesworth head stomp on Gurode

Which was 5 games AND Gurode didn't start it or escalate it. So why are they coming down harder of Myles???????? Like I said ZERO Precedents.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
According to TMZ Garret is appealing the suspension

https://www.tmz.com/2019/11/15/myles-garrett-helmet-attack-no-police-investigation-steelers-browns/

Word is Garret will meet with the league next week but when it’s all set and done I figure it will be 2-4 games. Garret has no prior history of suspensions it would be hard to justify such a lengthy suspension when no one was even hurt. Unlike guys lime Burfict that was concussing people left and right.

I’ll be surprised if Garret isn’t back before the end of the year but no way he is back before the next Steeler game they want that to cool off for awhile

Rudolph called him a coward to the media after starting a fight with him and kick and punching Garret in the nuts...Rudolph better hope he is a back up next year because if he has to play Garret is probably chomping at the bit to beat the stuffing out of him the legal football way.

Legend
Legend
Well, this will be interesting now

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
OK once again the NFL jumps all over the steelers jock. So sickening that I really want to puke. What Myles did was 110 percent wrong. I am not making one single excuse for what he did. It was wrong no question about it. Yes I am going to add a huge BUT. Rudolph started the mess, and kept it going and instigated it. Was there a penalty for him grabbing Myles helmet and twisting and ripping at it...... or for kicking him either i the stomach or groin Oh hell NO he is a Steeler he is allowed to abuse Cleveland Players. It has happened for years while Cleveland was forced to sit back and take it. Well guess what the NFL still wants Cleveland to sit back and take it up the back side. It's nothing new it has been going on for years. Myles should be suspended for 2 to 4 games, but the NFL wants to bury him and Cleveland. Rudolph should also be suspended for at least half the time that Myles is. Anything less is just a huge middle finger to Cleveland and Browns fans.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Where is the two kicks to the nuts rule in the rule book because I'm interested to see if a slap on the wrist is proper punishment?

Legend
Legend
Slap on the wrist?????????

WTF are you talking about Rudolph got off Scott free no penelty, no suspension, and no fine. The NFL might just as well as said it's open season on Browns players AND WE DON'T GIVE A DAMN.

GMdawg #1695021 11/15/19 08:51 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

WTF are you talking about Rudolph got off Scott free no penelty, no suspension, and no fine. The NFL might just as well as said it's open season on Browns players AND WE DON'T GIVE A DAMN.

The League has been stating that all season.

[Linked Image]

GMdawg #1695023 11/15/19 09:00 PM
Legend
Legend

I saw on NFL Network Ruldolph will be fined only.

#gmstrong
FL_Dawg #1695024 11/15/19 09:00 PM
Legend
Legend
Since 1999

They are still peed off that Cleveland got to keep their team

Pdawg #1695025 11/15/19 09:01 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Pdawg

I saw on NFL Network Ruldolph will be fined only.

Come on Pdawg you know that punishment is like the NFL telling me I can only drink 17 beers instead of 18.

Legend
Legend
Jc

When I saw Myles got 6 games, I figured Rudolph probably got 2-3 ... and then I see he got zero? Laughable IMO.

Myles is not innocent in the least .... his was egregious and dangerous and dumb.

But Rudolph was guilty as well

GMdawg #1695028 11/15/19 09:12 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Actually that is exactly what I'm talking about. A fine is a slap on the wrist.

R
Legend
Legend
R
And there is no way that Myles is getting back on the field this year. The backlash the NFL would take would be strong. They will take advantage of the Haslam's because they just want it to go away. Public perception is strong on this one and it ain't in the Browns favor.

Something tells me this going to galvanize the team. I think the offense is going to start clicking and I wouldn't be surprised if Chad Thomas emerged as a player. Get past Miami and get Larry back. Beat Pitt the second time and I think we run the table.

If Baker happens to be on waivers in your FF leagues, go and get him.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
The Steelers punishment is Rudolph still gets to play.

Seriously, the nfl pretty much said QB's can do what they want and not get punished.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
Legend
Legend
The Steelers will pay his fine. So he still got off Scott free. I am sick and tired of hearing how great the Rooneys are when all they do is Cover their own players and they don't give a crap about any other players. The ROoneys are out for their selves and screw everybody else. It's about time that the public realizes just how dirty the Rooneys really are, and how much they get away with murder. Well OK not murder but they get away with anything they want.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Like I said in another thread. Ray rice knocked his girlfriend unconscious and dragged her limp body from a elevator....oh and he spit on her to. His punishment was 4 games, that's it. Give me a break. Goodell plays favorites. Especially when it comes to teams like batl, Pitt and NE

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
slick #1695035 11/15/19 09:46 PM
Legend
Legend
Don’t forget the Rooney’s close relationship with the competition committee

Legend
Legend
I thought incest was illegal?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Message to Defensive players.

The League has just declared open season on your nuts for QBs'

[Linked Image]

O
Legend
Legend
O
Every fan going to the second game should carry a regulation browns helmet and wear a jockstrap.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Totally think the suspension in Garrett is right... if he wants to appeal fine... but six games feels right...

But how the hell does mason get off Scott free?!? Dude needs at least one game suspension

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Every fan going to the second game should carry a regulation browns helmet and wear a jockstrap.

Every fan going to the second game should be ready to have the NFL break it off in their backside and claim they didn't to the folks who are being sodomised by the NFL.

jaybird #1695044 11/15/19 10:15 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: jaybird
Totally think the suspension in Garrett is right... if he wants to appeal fine... but six games feels right...

But how the hell does mason get off Scott free?!? Dude needs at least one game suspension

ONE ROTFLMFAO OK Roger

GMdawg #1695045 11/15/19 10:17 PM
Legend
Legend
Well franklyym2-3 makes sense but at least one is a start

<><

#gmstrong
jaybird #1695046 11/15/19 10:19 PM
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N

I thought Rudolph should get 2-3 games and Myles should have gotten 4 to end of regular season. And if Rudolph called him a racial slur, i would think about more.

This would not have been a big deal if Myles would have just dropped the helmet when he yanked it off his head.

I am actually surprised that the NFL gave pouncey a 3 game suspension.

If Rudolph plays the way he did yesterday, the worst punishment for the Steelers would be to keep him on the field.

Gonna be an interesting game in two weeks. Both teams are going to have a chip and we are not going to get away with anything.

jaybird #1695047 11/15/19 10:19 PM
Legend
Legend
I can agree with 2 to 4 games thumbsup

Rishuz #1695048 11/15/19 10:24 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Went to the gym this morning and TVs as usual are all set to ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNn and another random network. It was looped endlessly on all TVs, every time I looked at any screen. I later saw a client who never talks about anything but work stuff and has no interest at all in sports (and has no idea I’m even a football watcher let alone a Browns fan) launch into the “disgusting violence” of a football game she saw this morning. “They should be put in jail!” She said. Wowsers. This is big.

I can’t help but think that it being a Thursday night game on an otherwise slow sports day made this the singular inescapable black-hole story whereas it might have been just the biggest among several stories if it were Sunday. And ultimately that’s what made this such a forced hand for the league. This story sucked so much media energy and public attention that the league had to blow up the punishment to the biggest degree just to satisfy the call. And they had do so immediately, there was no waiting and mulling, no cool off period.

He’s done for the year and I’m guessing Into next year. Maybe deep into next year. Maybe even longer. Is it right? Is it proportional? Does it compare to past crimes and punishments? Are all parties being treated with the same justice?

Totally irrelevant questions.

This is PR 101. This has to do with a major publicity black eye for the league at a time it’s desperately trying to avoid just such black eyes. They need Garrett to go away for long enough that people stop talking about this as the state of the league in the present tense, which will be this season at the very least. The only way to make it stop for them is to banish him for a long while. Appeals will fall on deaf ears. This is way too much in the wider public eye for the league to equivocate at all. There’s no good reason for them to reverse course from all but the harshest punishment possible. Anything less invites ridicule from everyone not in Cleveland. There’s zero incentive to just and detached reason and we shouldn’t expect it.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
jaybird #1695051 11/15/19 10:37 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O

6 games would be acceptable with no need to appeal. He got an INDEFINITE SUSPENSION! That means he can come back whenever the NFL feels like letting him and he has to jump through hoops to do that. These are nowhere near the same punishment.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
E
Legend
Legend
E

No Craps Given
EveDawg #1695053 11/15/19 11:05 PM
Legend
Legend
I find this pic appealing:

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
with the rule book as it is... I can see a Myles Garrett rule coming...

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Garrett part 2

Link Copied to Clipboard