Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Mort: Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger 'Has Some Doubt' He'll Play Again Post-Injury

Rob Goldberg
Bleacher Report

After missing nearly all of 2019 with an elbow injury, there is no guarantee Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will return to the NFL.

"I've talked to people who have spoken with him, and he has some doubt whether he's really gonna play football again," ESPN's Chris Mortensen said on SportsCenter Monday.

Roethlisberger still hasn't begun throwing since his September elbow surgery.

The quarterback first suffered the elbow injury in Week 2, ending his 2019 season after just two games with zero touchdown passes.

Though he was placed on injured reserve, there was initially plenty of optimism about him returning at full strength in 2020.

"No one is concerned that next year is going to be a problem," a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Head coach Mike Tomlin had a more tempered approach but still expected Roethlisberger back next season.

"He fully intends to come back from his injury, and everything we've heard, we're comfortable that's a strong possibility," Tomlin said in September, per Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.

However, there now appears to be a stronger chance the 37-year-old has played his last NFL game.

This could be a significant blow for Pittsburgh, not only because Roethlisberger is a six-time Pro Bowler who led the league in passing last season but also because of the quarterback struggles throughout 2019. Mason Rudolph and Devlin Hodges have been inconsistent over their 13 combined starts, totaling 18 touchdowns and 17 interceptions.

According to Mortensen, the Steelers could sign a veteran free agent like Philip Rivers, Eli Manning or Teddy Bridgewater this offseason if Roethlisberger is unable to return.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2868...ain-post-injury

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Whether big Ben returns or not next season the Steelers will still beat us at least once probably twice. It's just the way it is.

Legend
Legend
Hope he retires...

<><

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Done?

Duh, anybody could a told you that, .. he had the same injury that ended Terry Bradshaw (been told) and Tim Couch's career,

Quarterbacks don't come back from that elbow tear, it's like a golfer with no clubs.

Said this from the beginning,

No worries though, he will probably take over Al Micheals job, or be the new host of wheel of fortune and i'll have to watch him till the day I die. bleh.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I sure won't miss the Bastard.

Legend
Legend
"Bastard" is too kind. We make just about any QB and almost every QB look good.

Lord knows the backups punish us. That two-minute drilling we just had handed to us because of idiotic clock mismanagement was just horrible. And FK strikes again. Why a stupid low - probability play in this situation? Best play available?

Deliver us from this stupid game handling.

We could have had this one.

Sorry, Mister Chubb. You deserve to have an offense around you and an OC directing it.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
I want to beat them with Rothisberger active.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
"Bastard" is too kind.

What about Rapist?

Legend
Legend
I’m not surprised to see this; that’s a devastating injury obviously. But I also know he’s had the flare for the dramatic when it comes to injuries, so I’ll believe it when I see it.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He'd make a great guest "star" on Law & Order: SVU and the like.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
P
Rookie
Rookie
P
Let's conveniently ignore the fact that the 2 women who accused him were later proven to be out for money and making up their accusations after having consensual sex. Or that one of the two in question actually texted her friends when she saw him at the club that night and said she was going to go screw him and try to get pregnant. That was public knowledge after the events. Only butthurt fans of opposing teams still spout off about this BS. It's easier to take beatings on the field that way I suppose.

Last edited by Pittfan43; 12/24/19 10:37 AM.
Legend
Legend
Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger underwent elbow surgery Sept. 23. Doctors reattached three tendons in his right arm.

But the Steelers are “now optimistic” Roethlisberger will fully recover, Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports.

Medical personnel have not cleared Roethlisberger to resume throwing yet, per Mortensen, but Roethlisberger is “tracking better.”

Roethlisberger wants and expects to play in 2020, which is good news for the Steelers since neither Mason Rudolph nor Devlin Hodges has done enough to inspire confidence that the team has its heir apparent.

Roethlisberger, who turns 38 in March, has made six Pro Bowls in his 16-year career with his last coming in 2017.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...ealthy-in-2020/

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
"Bastard" is too kind.

What about Rapist?

point: The steelers were a much better team in the playoffs,

point: the packers were favored by 8 in the super bowls betting line,

point: Roethlisburger forgot he had a tight end in that super bowl, and the packers won

point: the allegations got swept under the rug anytime following and Roethlisburger got to keep his career.

Do your own math!

thumbsdown

Legend
Legend

Not a surprise at all.

At 37 you step away for a season and find out that the fire no longer is burning.

He has accomplished all he can. The team has to rebuild anyway.

I highly doubt that he returns.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

Do you think they care they beat the Browns with Myles Garrett inactive? They still have playoff hopes alive, that's all that matters.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

Do you think they care they beat the Browns with Myles Garrett inactive? They still have playoff hopes alive, that's all that matters.

What does what they care about have to do with what I care about?

#GMSTRONG
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Pittfan43
Let's conveniently ignore the fact that the 2 women who accused him were later proven to be out for money and making up their accusations after having consensual sex. Or that one of the two in question actually texted her friends when she saw him at the club that night and said she was going to go screw him and try to get pregnant. That was public knowledge after the events. Only butthurt fans of opposing teams still spout off about this BS. It's easier to take beatings on the field that way I suppose.
If its public knowledge after the fact, then surely you can provide a link with that information. . . .

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
If its public knowledge after the fact, then surely you can provide a link with that information. . . .

Let’s not forget he was an alleged rapist in college too. Where there’s smoke there’s fire. No one gets accused of something by multiple people over multiple years without some truth to the situations. Maybe one or two were out for money. I doubt the college incidents had anything to do with it though as he was a poor college kid too. A creepy, rapist college kid. Screw Ben.
I hope he’s finished.

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
Legend
T
That sounds like a riddle.

Legend
Legend

So, he had someone stand guard outside the restroom door while he was being tricked into having consensual sex? Pukesburg logic, I guess.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Sorry to disappoint, but Roethlisbeger is probably coming back.

link

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: sk8termom

link

That's called damage control.

No Craps Given
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: EveDawg

link

That's called damage control.

we'll see. Have a happy and healthy holiday and new year

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

link

What disappointment, if this is true we can still rub his face in the dirt. Which is mean to the dirt.

#GMSTRONG
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
I'm not disappointed. I don't really care if he plays again or not.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Mort Report: Roethlisberger might be done

Link Copied to Clipboard