Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
So I thought a good discussion about our defense is in order. Also this should make a good subject for Pure Football as there is not Emotional Opinions that we find discussing the Offense.

Long Term Keepers.
This is Obvious. Garrett and Ward. I think in our future we should covet a Taller bigger CB to compliment Ward. But we should lock him up long term.

Garrett is an NFL MVP candidate. Our Defense with him present or OUT are so different and without Garrett actually the D becomes inept. You know, they seem to need the Blue Pill.

Now not ever player has to be a HOFer to have a functional Defense.

The OLD GUYS, Well even though he is just 29 Sheldon Richardson is GOOD but not as dominant as he has been in past years. I think he has found a home here as in the past he would migrate all over the place.

Oliver Vernon is almost the same (30 years old), I think he is GOOD but his dominant play seems to be behind him. Both of these guys were BEASTS! But now are just "OK"

The keepers:
Larry Ogunjobi, He is 26 and still has a load of talent. We always talk about the Offense and the struggles that belie them because of a lack of continuity. Well the same has to be said of the Defense and Larry has seen changes in Coordinators how many times??? I think with Continuity he can become a Pro Bowler.

Mack Wilson, He is just 22 and could progress to be a very good piece of the defensive puzzle. He is one of those guys that we say teams need to have success when not drafted in the first 3 rounds.

Ronnie Harrison Jr., He is 23 and I love his motor and he should get better as we have continuity coming. He plays the SS position which seems to be the easier Safety position. I'm not sure if he has a future in the FS position. Got my fingers crossed for DELPIT! Any news out there on his surgery/achilles. You would think that he would be in some REHAB by now.

The few that still have to prove something.
Taki Taki...I don't see any glaring negatives but I just don't see much explosive play which I would want from our LBs.

Jordan Elliot. I thnk he was playing well for the little reps he was getting and then he was injured. I know he has come back but I have not seen him that much for assessing.

Anyways, would love to read some other opinions. We know if we continue to improve our OL and create a good running game with Play action. The key to a Championship TEAM would be through our Defense.

I still say DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS! We are far from being a Championship team. Continuity and getting much more talent.

We do have some of the pieces. The next two seasons are very important!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
My issue with Vernon is his health. Obviously we got injury concerns all across the defense, but this year a lot of teams get the Rona excuse.

However, Vernon was injured last year as well. So just do to availability reasons, I think we should consider moving on from him.

I agree that Garrett and ward are no brainers. But I’d also put Sheldon and Larry in that category as well because they are good interior linemen, and Sheldon still has plenty left in the tank.

Other than those guys, Harrison and Mitchell would be the only ones I’d keep on the roster. Every other position is a spot where we need an upgrade.

I understand Mack Wilson is young, but I really haven’t seen much to think that we can find an upgrade.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I will start at the LB spot...

I was thrilled we drafted Mack Wilson...But he has been off this year, and it very well could be because of his injury. I think we all were surprised he was able to come back so early, however he may have been given the green light too soon. He def. appears a step slower this year, I also think our scheme is effecting him as well. Mack does best when you have him as a "go" linebacker, seems like this year we are asking more of read then react...He is failing in that aspect.

I know before the season, that this may be the worst LB core I've ever seen assembled (and yes even worse than the core the Bengals assembled a couple years back) We really need an influx of talent...Heck I don't even one rangy LB on our roster. Can't comment on Jacob Phillips, guys knee has been messed up all season. The guys we are starting, should be depth pieces...not showcased as starters IMO. We need to add several pieces here in FA and the draft.

Dline...Outside of Garrett...Sheldon has been a nice FA signing for us, I was really worried about his effort and attitude as that has been flagged in the past. But he surely is a leader for us, and plays well. Ogi, I wouldn't mind re-signed for depth purposes, however I'm sure some other club will give him a bigger deal...I was so excited for his transformation this year (seems like he really worked on his body this off-season) But he hasn't really taken off...Then again, I know he may have been playing somewhat injured as well....I'm sure the bye week, will be welcoming to him and others. Jordan Elliot seems to always be the last one off the snap, it was his weakness in college as well. Then again least he ain't jumping offsides lol

I think of how the Eagles D was able to always have a strong rush with just their Dline alone. Well they drafted a lot of guys in that department, and built their depth out amazingly. They had (4) deep at DE, and nearly as deep inside. Kept everyone fresh, had the depth and option to add stunts; and you know what...They kept applying pressure and wreaking havoc....may be a pipe dream, but I would love more pieces added here.

Secondary...Ward like mentioned prior, is a keeper. Kevin Johnson has been a nice rental, He has shown decently despite fighting off another injury. Mitchell I give kudos to for stepping up into a starting role...Though he probably best served as a #3...Greedy, well you know you can't depend on him...We def. need a starter aside from Ward, I don't mind Mitchell as our #3, and Johnson is probably best as your #4 (though I'm aware he is a FA after this year, just can't depend on him too much providing his detailed injuries) ...Whatever Greedy provides will just be extra or depth.

Sandejo...Man I really thought we would only see him on special teams...Delpit's injury really killed this secondary, and the domino effect came full screen. Sandejo is probably finished in the NFL, age has showed itself. I was really excited with Karl Joseph, but reminded everyone that insurance is a must with him as he has detailed injuries as well. He hasn't looked well either...though did flash in the first Bengals game. I am no coach, but we seem to dropping him further out as a play or FS (not his strength) And playing Sendejo (FS) more in the box...Though Joseph missed a few games to injury, perhaps coach is finally seeing something. I've noted several reps Joseph is playing OLB in. But we a def. lacking coverage in that deep field...We must bring a starter FA/draft pick at FS IMO...We don't know what Delpit is...And we may be ok with Harrison and Joseph at SS (Joseph is a FA but I wouldn't mind him retained with splitting reps with Harrison) Harrison seems to be growing in our offense, and he hasn't done too bad...I know he was highly touted, so hopefully he continues to grow.

Heck looking into the draft...We have a ton of defensive needs, and obviously this could be really flawed (depending whom grows or regresses, and who is let go or re-inked)

1. LB
2. DE
3. FS
3. CB
4. DT
4. LB
5. DE
6. WR
7. TE

Legend
Legend
Quote:
I was thrilled we drafted Mack Wilson...But he has been off this year, and it very well could be because of his injury. I think we all were surprised he was able to come back so early, however he may have been given the green light too soon. He def. appears a step slower this year, I also think our scheme is effecting him as well. Mack does best when you have him as a "go" linebacker, seems like this year we are asking more of read then react...He is failing in that aspect.

That could explain some things. I also think losing Joe Schobert has a lot to do with Mack's drop in performance. Last year he just looked like an explosive ball hawk, playmaker type, who at times made some good plays for us. We had Joe back there directing the defense and he probably didn't have to think as much. I'm still pizzed that we let Joe go.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend

Good topic.

Although PFF grades have a place they are not the end all.

Example last weeks game. 40 mph winds were a huge factor in how the game was played and the stats. Not factored in grades.

What my eyes see. In the games we lost the DL was compromised. We could not stop the run when it was a given. That is a problem. Every team we play will have that film. We have to be better. By scheme, technique, or talent something has to be corrected.

Garrett and Ward are standouts. Greedy has not played. So we don't know if he has improved.

Richardson is still effective as a tackle. Larry not so much. He gets stopped or pushed back to often. We need a better rotation at tackle.

Taylor and Elliott have not made much impact at all so far.

Guston has been decent.

Clearly we need more consistent pressure on the quarterback. Myles will always be game planned against. Vernon is not a consistent player by injury and results.

The linebackers as a unit have been a weakness both in run support and pass defense.

Taki and Wilson have not lived up to draft status. I am just not seeing it. Both of them are slow to react and are often out of place or late.

Wilson may be trying to come back from injury but he has been horrible.

Malcolm Smith has been decent. Goodson has done little.
Phillips has been injured so I have not seen him make any impact to date.

This unit needs attention in the off season both from the draft and FA.

Harrison was a good pick up. I see him as the SS starter and a good one.

Mitchell is a valuable back up.

FS has been a glaring weakness. Delpit was supposed to play a huge role. Hopefully he will return and be fully healthy.

This off season should be about improving the defense. We are not close to playoff ready on defense.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Quote:

That could explain some things. I also think losing Joe Schobert has a lot to do with Mack's drop in performance. Last year he just looked like an explosive ball hawk, playmaker type, who at times made some good plays for us. We had Joe back there directing the defense and he probably didn't have to think as much. I'm still pizzed that we let Joe go.

Yeah I think Mack thrives in an attack mode, downhill go seek ball role. Seems like (could be wrong) Joe Woods has our LBs in more of a sit and read role. One thing I know Joe Schobert really shined in on, which stats don't show...Was his ability to get the play in, then alter it after the initial look changed. He was always doing well in that role...Leadership never shows in PFF stats. I believe Goodson is our LB that is making those calls this year, I could be wrong. And your right Mack was showing himself off last year...either chasing down plays, or attacking plays...This year it just seems like he is sitting there (well all of our LBs seem mostly like that nowadays) It has been a problem for years with our LBs, but it seems like they always get washed away far too easy while attempting to blitz...Some of this is because we tip our hats too soon. We as fans see it prior, and Olineman def. see it as well. While teams in our division (Pitt and Baltimore come to mind) disguise it so well, as its timed at the last moment...and it always ends in some chaotic negative play for us. On the opposite spectrum, I know they run 3-4...But I know we would never be able to replicate the same even in their scheme.

As mentioned, I see not one single rangy LB on our team this year...Last year Mack Wilson appeared to be that guy, whether injury or scheme or regression...I'm not sure. But we def. need a Patrick Willis esque LB in that middle level of our D.

Hopefully Mack, Phillips, and Taki start showing some glimpses in this second half of the year.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Quote:

Yeah I think Mack thrives in an attack mode, downhill go seek ball role. Seems like (could be wrong) Joe Woods has our LBs in more of a sit and read role. One thing I know Joe Schobert really shined in on, which stats don't show...Was his ability to get the play in, then alter it after the initial look changed. He was always doing well in that role...Leadership never shows in PFF stats. I believe Goodson is our LB that is making those calls this year, I could be wrong. And your right Mack was showing himself off last year...either chasing down plays, or attacking plays...This year it just seems like he is sitting there (well all of our LBs seem mostly like that nowadays) It has been a problem for years with our LBs, but it seems like they always get washed away far too easy while attempting to blitz...Some of this is because we tip our hats too soon. We as fans see it prior, and Olineman def. see it as well. While teams in our division (Pitt and Baltimore come to mind) disguise it so well, as its timed at the last moment...and it always ends in some chaotic negative play for us. On the opposite spectrum, I know they run 3-4...But I know we would never be able to replicate the same even in their scheme.

As mentioned, I see not one single rangy LB on our team this year...Last year Mack Wilson appeared to be that guy, whether injury or scheme or regression...I'm not sure. But we def. need a Patrick Willis esque LB in that middle level of our D.

Hopefully Mack, Phillips, and Taki start showing some glimpses in this second half of the year.

I think Phillips when healthy, might be the best LB we have against the run

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
O
Legend
Legend
O
We absolutely need to double-dip (FA/draft pickups) at FS/Safety and LB positions. I wouldn't mind us being opportunistic at CB if someone ends up being there for us. Good teams find glue-type pickups like Steelers and Haden.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
L
Legend
Legend
L
I'm not sure why everyone thinks Mack Wilson is all of a sudden going to be this great player...he was really bad last year. We need all new LB, not a single one of them is worth keeping. Phillips looks to be decent, but always hurt. We need a thumper and a sideline to sideline guy. we have neither now. That makes everyone look bad. I also wouldn't count on Delpit for atleast another year if ever, In fact, I'd be going into the offseason just assuming he's never going to play again. I've seen that injury a few times and not a single one ever got back to 100%. Going to be interesting because there was an abundance of that injury in the nfl this year because of the shortened camps. Soft tissue injuries through the roof. Delpit is house money at this point, draft or replace in FA and if he makes it back then great, more depth or trade piece.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Thanks for the participation guys wink

I totally forgot about Greedy Williams - he has some game and he was a lot more aggressive than reported but who really knows as the kid has missed a lot of games.

Mack Wilson has some explosion which to me is a must for LB the system can be coached up, it is new to him and we had (like all teams) the Pandemic to factor in as we put in a new Defense along with his injuries so I'm not too sour on him. I think put into a GOOD DEFENSE he can become a piece of the puzzle.

I wish we would be more aggressive and attack the gaps (especially the A gaps!)

I think I didn't express my pleasure of having Richardson on this team, Every year I was campaigning for him to come here Via FA but would sign 1 year deals with other teams. We were the first to sign him for more than 1 years of course we had a regime change since Dorsey signed him. But Richardson was a BEAST I think he would do well in a complete built up Defense.
We have too many BAD Talent out there so that we have no complimentary Defense. Richardson's talents would show up more once we get a complete effective Front 7.

Same with Larry, I believe we can keep Vernon unless we need the money but he is a rotational player as his STUD days seem to be over, he was another player I campaigned (lol as if that helps... laugh ) for us to get when he left the Dolphins!

I know we lost Schobert who btw is not showing his worth as a 10 mil MLB!

What I don't know is how we were not in the running to acquire Blake Martinez in FA again a 10 mil MLB but I think he most definitely is worth it! Giants got him. They got some decent pieces including our Peppers who left as part of the OBJ trade. Looking back I wish we had not made either deal. Vernon nor OBJ.

jmho

Delpit, don't know how much of his explosiveness will be effected by the Achilles injury!

A big CB, Definitely DE, FS, LBs are in order. I hope we keep Larry O once our D pieces are filled he could become a beast if we Attack Gaps.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Greedy hasn't show much of anything at all, yet. He was not good last year and he hasn't been on the field this year. He is seriously creeping toward Bust territory. We won't cut him because he's cheap, but we absolutely need to invest at CB.

Wilson & Taki just don't have it. I had hopes for Wilson, but never believed in Taki, at all. We NEED competency at LB. I get that the defense isn't predicated on superb LB play, but we cannot have the sub-par play we've had so far. This group MUST get better and I think we need to employ investments from the draft and free agency here.

I like our DLine, but we need more there. Larry is disappearing a lot, and Vernon is nearly a no-show this year. In fact, he didn't show up at all this year until Myles went out with his knee last week. Where was that effort before then??

Essentially, it feels like the D is just a project that was gutted to the studs and this offseason we start to actually build it up. The tough thing will be getting it built up enough to be competitive before we start losing the stacked talent we're enjoying on offense.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

L
Legend
Legend
L
people talking missing schobert, which i don't think he was worth anywhere near what he got, but the one that got away was ogbah

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Essentially, it feels like the D is just a project that was gutted to the studs and this offseason we start to actually build it up. The tough thing will be getting it built up enough to be competitive before we start losing the stacked talent we're enjoying on offense.

This.

Legend
Legend
Really spot on. Just abandoned on the rails. Nothing feels complete, except MG. Line's play has been so-so at best. Run is killing us when opponent can drive the field and score. I chalk that up to a lack of LBs and using this scheme. Just not happening.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
Legend
Legend
P
Phillips could help against the run ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

this seems about as likely as Sendejo making the pro-bowl this year.

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

Actually Phillips looked pretty good in the time he was on the field...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
All Pro
All Pro
The easy answer is the young guys I guess.

Right now the only core I see is Garrett and Ward.

Hopefully Delpit gets healthy and works out and hopefully Ronnie Harrison continues to do his thing. Even if Greedy gets right and we resign Money Mitch, we still need another DB. Whether that is a FS (allowing Delpit to play strong and Harrison to be the 3rd "big nickle" guy) or a CB doesn't matter as much to me as the fact that we can't cover anyone right now. Heck, we probably need two guys.

I'm pretty down on the D-line at the moment. Vernon only seems to have 2 or 3 good games a year, Ogunjobi still hasn't progressed after 3 straight years as a starter and Richardson is due 13 million in the last year of his contract next year. We could use two guys here, too.

LBer- Probably our single biggest need, but I still think we just need the one guy to lead that group. Phillips may work out to be a good 2nd LBer. Wilson still might though my concern is growing. Takitaki still has his uses on running downs as the 3rd LBer. We just really need to find that one guy.

On offense, depending on what happens with Njoku and how OBJ looks when he gets back, we probably still need to raise the competition of the depth for our pass catchers.

I doubt we can properly address more than 4 of those in the draft. I guess we'll see.

With the injuries to both Delpit and Greedy (and the unknowns regarding bringing back Money Mitch or KJ), I'd say we should look in the 1st two rounds for DB help.
Same with D-Line. Vernon has disappointed, Ogunjobi is a FA who may not be worth what he wants and Richardson is in the last year of a large contract next year. So D-line also in the 1st two rounds (admittedly, I don't like this year's group of d-lineman so if we looked to Free Agents thaat would be just fine, too).

Hey, if Ceedee Lamb can fall to 17th, maybe Patrick Surtain II can too.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I think we should extend everyone and let them play in the same system for 3 years before we evaluate them.

Legend
Legend
ain't no way in hell we should be extending Sendejo

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

Actually Phillips looked pretty good in the time he was on the field...

uh... I think you have to be thinking of someone else?

he has played 38 snaps in 3 games on defense with 4 tackles and I think 2 of them were on special teams? He is boasting a 75% completion% when thrown against and one pass defense.

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
V
Legend
Legend
V
Phillips PFF grade is 44.2, which is really bad. Our best LBer has been Malcolm Smith, who is ranked 16th out of the 84 qualified LBers.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The name Malik Harrison ring a bell. lo

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
I believe Vers was implying our Home Grown players that we drafted or even UDFA.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Oh well yea I get that.

Buuuut I dunno about greedy, bro. He seems to be made out of glass.

I mean, sure we keep him next year abs let him compete, but I hope the FO doesn’t go into the offseason thinking this guy can be relied on.

Last edited by Swish; 11/10/20 09:38 AM.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
When you have hit rock bottom there is no where to go but up. Therefore we can only go up from here.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
J/c

Coaches can only do so much. I have a strong feeling that our LB and safeties are pretty pathetic. Like backup level guys at best.

But I also don’t know enough about football to know if Woods has been good or not

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
I have been impressed w/the offensive staff and Stefanski, but I am beginning to wonder about Woods. Kinda predictable.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I have been impressed w/the offensive staff and Stefanski, but I am beginning to wonder about Woods. Kinda predictable.
it just seems we are so bad on the back end ... like we don’t press or disrupt any receivers AND we don’t cover ... so it’s like, we might as well try to jam them

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
it just seems we are so bad on the back end ... like we don’t press or disrupt any receivers AND we don’t cover ... so it’s like, we might as well try to jam them

No physicality

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian

No physicality

You are spot-on IMO. Our very best defensive player himself is not 'nasty-physical'. Our 2nd best defensive player is not physical at-all. Richardson is physical...maybe Harrison. I think Elliot and Philips will be physical when they aren't thinking too much or injured. Redwine and T Thomas are physical...and limited.

The rest of the guys are not nasty-physical by any stretch...but that doesn't mean they suck and should be replaced. However, where upgrades are necessary or in-process, we need to ramp up the physicality portion/importance of our talent evaluation scorecard.

I think our offense is much more physical than our defense.

Teller is at the top. Conklin might be next when he can be. Wills appears to be physical. Bitonio and Tretter are physical-enough (if not very) and are smart. Our WRs are excellent blockers...and RBs are all physical guys.

TEs? I think they are no-less-than adequate on the physicality-meter. Njoku probably holds that rating down more-so than he builds it up..which is odd.

Physicality on the defensive end is certainly not where it is for Pitt & Balt.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Good defenses have good LBs, we don't. Schobert was a good cover guy, but definitely not a physical player. Hope we get a thumper next year.

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
J/c

Coaches can only do so much. I have a strong feeling that our LB and safeties are pretty pathetic. Like backup level guys at best.

But I also don’t know enough about football to know if Woods has been good or not

One has to only see the transformation of Teller from ehh to Pro Bowler to see that Great coaching and most important the willingness to be coached up technique wise and physically its all out there for anyone. So I still have hope for the young guys. Guys who are reaching 30 pretty much have written their career already.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
I go crazy when we line up and give the offense like a 10 to 12 yard cushion, well beyond the needed gain line, and we are nowhere near to challenging receivers. Our zone is lousy and who knows when Sendejo might show up? The back of our D is not suspect. It is convicted and criminal.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Purple, if we give up on 3,4 and 5 round picks after a season or so we may as well trade the picks for whatever we can get for them. These guys need time to develop.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: keithfromxenia
Purple, if we give up on 3,4 and 5 round picks after a season or so we may as well trade the picks for whatever we can get for them. These guys need time to develop.

I'm not saying to give up on them, I'm saying that you cannot count on them. Keep reloading. None of them has shown themselves as capable, yet, of owning their respective jobs even at the level of "average NFL starter"... so, you keep investing.

If you end up with a tough decision down the road because too many guys developed, that's not a bad thing... you can then trade guys, or simply enjoy some ridiculous depth at bargain salaries.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: eotab
J/c

One has to only see the transformation of Teller from ehh to Pro Bowler to see that Great coaching and most important the willingness to be coached up technique wise and physically its all out there for anyone. So I still have hope for the young guys. Guys who are reaching 30 pretty much have written their career already.

jmho
It would certainly be HUGE if a LB or two from our squad could improve that much (Phillips, Wilson, or Taki)

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
Good defenses have good LBs, we don't. Schobert was a good cover guy, but definitely not a physical player. Hope we get a thumper next year.

I love me some Jo Sho...but IMO he was not "good" in coverage...he was just the least-bad guy that we had. I think guys like him are important to a team like ours...but not at that price...no way.

Legend
Legend
It seems that there is an unusually large number of really bad defenses this year. Like, there are a few good ones that can play both sides of the ball, and then there are like 27 teams tied for being the 31st Worst Defense, and I've been trying to figure out why, and how that affects what the Browns need to do. There seem to be a lot of one-sided teams: they're either great on offense but weak on defense, or the exact opposite.

Have the rule changes favoring Offenses finally gone THAT far where if you aren't good and balanced in both the Run & Pass, you're going to get shredded? Is it more because if a team is bad on offense, opponents can just milk clock, speed the game along, and not work their offense so hard to win, while an opponent facing a good offense has to turn it into a shootout to keep pace?

Does getting healthy and more talented on the back end take care of it all for us? Like, would the DLine be more effective if the back end of the D was buying them more time to get home, which would in turn force the Offenses to get the ball out faster and play a short game approach?... which, then is where having a decent Safety up helps a lot? Does that then reduce the responsibilites and the number of things our LBers have to pay attention to, thus making them more effective as they don't have to think as much?

Are the issues all talent, or is some of it between their ears and simply not playing fast, yet?

Browns is the Browns

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
Excellent post just starting scouting but this year is loaded
with DBS maybe that was Berry was thinking about when they went offense.
Delpit will be one of the most physically gifted fs in the league when healthy.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Defense...Where do we go from here?

Link Copied to Clipboard