Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
W
2014 potential 1st round picks

LINK

If the just-completed draft was lacking in sexy players, 2014 could bring just what NFL fans are craving: Big names and big-time skill position players.

So tear up those 2013 mock drafts and start looking ahead to 2014. Here are 15 players who could be walking across that stage at Radio City Music Hall as first-round picks next year:

Jadeveon Clowney, defensive end, South Carolina: Clowney could have been the first player taken in 2013, but he wasn't old enough to leave school yet. It certainly isn't too early to begin picturing him as the No. 1 pick – the first defensive player to be drafted there since Mario Williams in 2006.

Teddy Bridgewater, quarterback, Louisville: Bridgewater, like Clowney, will only be a junior this fall, but he is already regarded as the best NFL quarterback prospect for the next year. Had he been able to leave after 2012, when he led Louisville to a Sugar Bowl win, he might have been the first quarterback in 2013 as well.

Marqise Lee, wide receiver, Southern California: Lee, who caught 118 passes for 1,721 yards and 14 touchdowns in 2012, won the Biletnikoff Award last year as the nation's best receiver. He easily could go higher than this year's first receiver – Tavon Austin at No. 8.

Jake Matthews, left tackle, Texas A&M: Matthews considered leaving the Aggies last year, but decided to stay for his senior year and replace 2013's No. 2 pick Luke Joeckel at left tackle. Matthews has a stellar NFL pedigree as the son of Hall of Famer Bruce Matthews.

Cyrus Kouandijo, left tackle, Alabama: If the Crimson Tide's former right tackle, D.J. Fluker, was a first-round pick in 2013 (to San Diego), Kouandijo could be an even more impressive prospect should he decide to enter the 2014 draft after his junior year. Kouandijo started every game for Alabama last season.

Sammy Watkins, wide receiver, Clemson: Watkins will get scrutinized by teams for character issues after serving a drug-related suspension for two games in 2012, but he has undeniable first-round talent. Watkins was a first-team All-America selection in 2011 as a true freshman.

David Fales, quarterback, San Jose State: You probably haven't heard of him yet, but Fales is already on the NFL's radar after completing more than 72 percent of his passes and throwing 31 touchdowns last season. At 6-foot-3, 220 pounds, Fales certainly looks the part of an NFL quarterback.

Bradley Roby, cornerback, Ohio State: Roby seriously considered entering the 2013 draft, but decided that with one more year in Columbus, he would be a more NFL-ready player next year – and one that could wind up in the top 15.

Taylor Lewan, offensive tackle, Michigan: The 2013 draft was all about the offensive lineman, yet Lewan decided to return for a fifth year in Ann Arbor despite being considered on par with Eric Fisher and Luke Joeckel. Hopefully for Lewan, he doesn't end up regretting his decision to play another year.

Kyle Van Noy, outside linebacker, Brigham Young: Van Noy had 13 sacks last season for the Cougars but needed another season to become a more NFL-ready player. With a similar season this fall, Van Noy could follow his friend Ziggy Ansah as a first-round pick.

C.J. Mosley, outside linebacker, Alabama: Nothing has become a better bet in recent years than Alabama defensive players going in the first round, and Mosley is expected to headline Alabama's next crop. Mosley has played well against spread offenses, a skill increasingly coveted by NFL defenses.

Anthony Barr, defensive end/outside linebacker, UCLA: A converted running back, Barr has a bright future as an NFL pass rusher, and attracted plenty of attention after recording 13 sacks in 2012. His UCLA defensive line teammate Datone Jones was a first-round pick in 2013 by Green Bay.

A.J. McCarron, quarterback, Alabama: We know McCarron can win, and he certainly seems primed to have more NFL success than his predecessors at Alabama. But who will get more predraft publicity: McCarron or his girlfriend, Katherine Webb?

Johnny Manziel, quarterback, Texas A&M: Manziel doesn't have the basic measurable of a classic NFL quarterback, but in this era of option football, and with the success of players like Russell Wilson, the 2012 Heisman Trophy winner should be able to convince at least one team he's worth a first-round pick if he leaves after next season.

Tajh Boyd, quarterback, Clemson: If E.J. Manuel can be a first-round pick, why can't Boyd? Boyd would have been a mid-to-late pick in this draft, but by returning to school for his senior year, has the chance to significantly boost his draft stock.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd throw in these names as well:

Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
Stephon Tuitt, DT, Notre Dame
Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon
Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State
Loucheiz Purifoy, CB, Florida
Ed Reynolds, S, Stanford
Scott Chrichton, DE/OLB, Oregon State
Deshazor Everett, CB, Texas A&M
Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
C
Legend
Legend
C
I don't think Johnny Manziel or A.J. McCarron will be great pros.

Legend
Legend
Give me Bridgewater and I honestly think this team would be contenders

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If the fans didn't like what Banner did this draft , they would have hated me .. I thought ( and stated ) that the this was a week draft and the value was in the second and third rounds .. I was not in love with any of the players in the first round ( most unusual for me ) .. I diffidently would have traded out of the 6th spot .. I love the 14 draft class already and look how early it is ! .. I would tried to turn # 6 into a first NEXT year and a second and third this draft or some there abouts .. We would have had a second and coupe thirds and fourth to work with and two first for next years draft ..

M
Legend
Legend
M
Only in Cleveland......the Sunday after the draft we're already thinking about next year's.

Tackles are tackles.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Not true. I am sure most teams message boards have a similar thread.

Legend
Legend
Black Mamba next year pls

http://youtu.be/pVmi_e6B7DU

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Not true. I am sure most teams message boards have a similar thread.

I guess I should have used purple font as to not confuse some...

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Jadaveon Clowney, barring SERIOUS injury, will go #1, that's a given.

Guys we should be looking at are :

Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State
Marqise Lee, WR, USC

If Weeden fails this year, which I really don't think he will, and we do have to go QB, I'm not a fan of Teddy Bridgewater AT ALL.

Tahj Boy, QB, Clemson
Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia
Zach Mettenberger, QB, LSU

will all be better pros than Bridgewater, IMO.

W
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
W
Quote:

Black Mamba next year pls

http://youtu.be/pVmi_e6B7DU

He looks Darren Sproles-esqe....i'm not saying that as a bad thing

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Excuse me , but I picked this tread to express by view of the draft ( how and why ) .. I don't post my thoughts or view points as much as some do .. Hope that dosn't upset you to much ?

W
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
W
I liked your post and agree with it

Legend
Legend
Just a general comment .........

I hate who we picked in 2014. I can't believe we took _________. Lombardi and Banner have no clue what they are doing. Unbelievable, We had extra picks in the 3rd and 4th rounds of this 2014 draft, yet we still blew it. We passed on tons of talent in every single round. We probably won't have one player out of any of our draft picks. They will all be busts.

Just figured I'd beat the rush ........

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Excuse me , but I picked this tread to express by view of the draft ( how and why ) .. I don't post my thoughts or view points as much as some do .. Hope that dosn't upset you to much ?

Like I said, I should have used purple font (sarcasm) as not to confuse some. But you are excused.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Guys we should be looking at are :

Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State
Marqise Lee, WR, USC

If Weeden fails this year, which I really don't think he will, and we do have to go QB, I'm not a fan of Teddy Bridgewater AT ALL.

Tahj Boy, QB, Clemson
Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia
Zach Mettenberger, QB, LSU

will all be better pros than Bridgewater, IMO.

What in the HELL does Murray do better than Teddy?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I hate how long Teddy Bridgewater's throws take to get to the receiver. He doesn't stay back and drive off his back foot on his throws. He's constantly throwing off his front foot.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Let's hope next year we're able to make a luxury pick and select a guy such as Marquise Lee from USC. Let's hope Weeden pans out and we're able to win 7 or 8 games. Adding a guy like Lee or Sammy Watkins would be awesome.

If Weeden does fail I would love to have Tajh Boyd from Clemson though. The guy is a physical specimen and would really open up offensive possibilities from top to bottom.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

If there is a QB who emerges as a franchise type guy (i.e. Cam Newton) that player will go before Clowney.

Franchise QB > Everything else

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

If there is a QB who emerges as a franchise type guy (i.e. Cam Newton) that player will go before Clowney.

Yup, don't know if that guy is out there or not, but if he is, he'll go number 1.

Although what if you're a team with a good/great QB, and your guy goes down in week 1 and you end up having a horrible year. Do you trade the pick and stock up or do you just say screw it, we're taking Clowney and coming for blood the next year?

We've seen the Pats go through that situation and somehow still be ok, but if Luck or Russell Wilson or RG3 go down, those teams could be in for many losses.

B
Legend
Legend
B
He better be darn good, because anybody who passes Clowney is crazy.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Although what if you're a team with a good/great QB, and your guy goes down in week 1 and you end up having a horrible year. Do you trade the pick and stock up or do you just say screw it, we're taking Clowney and coming for blood the next year?

If you get the RGIII package you trade the pick.

N
Rookie
Rookie
N
It's Official the Browns are on the Clock with the 1st over-all pick in the 2014 NFL Draft. New Owner (insert name) says this will be the start of something special....

C
Legend
Legend
C
Straight up troll.

Go back to your bridge.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Remember when these morons were actually original with their stuff? Totally played. Just awful. Please try harder next time.

C
Legend
Legend
C
At least he identified himself early on so we can just block him.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Only in Cleveland......the Sunday after the draft we're already thinking about next year's.

It's the only thing where were consistantly in the top 10

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Straight up troll.

Go back to your bridge.

Go Away Troll

Last edited by PastorMarc; 04/28/13 09:14 PM.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Quote:

Good luck to the moron who drafts #1 and doesn't take Clowney.

Clowney may be the best college prospect I have seen come out of college...perhaps ever? He is a total monster of a player.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I actually really like Taj Boyd, out of all of the QB's.

He's a tad undersized but has a strong arm, really good anticipation on his throws and plus athleticism to keep plays alive.

Will be interested to see how he performs this season.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I actually really like Taj Boyd, out of all of the QB's.

He's a tad undersized but has a strong arm, really good anticipation on his throws and plus athleticism to keep plays alive.

Will be interested to see how he performs this season.

Hop aboard the bandwagon!

I'll never forget his game vs LSU. Kid showed guts and poise when getting destroyed by LSU's d-line all game.

http://youtu.be/yb2ISbn7cfU

Something else that stands out in this vid, good lord Mingo is fast.

Legend
Legend
Non big name QBs to watch next year:

-Brett Hundley, UCLA
-David Fales, San Jose State
-Colton Chapple, Harvard
-Derek Carr, Fresno State
-Sean Mannion, Oregon State
-Casey Pachall, TCU
-Keith Price, Washington

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm interested to see next years draft class. A lot of the ESPN radio experts along with Todd McShay all agree next years class will be loaded with talent especially at the Quarterback position.

I don't have any faith in Brandon Weeden and am guessing we'll likely end up 4-12 or 5-11 again and if that is the case we'll be looking to get our QB of the future. I personally am on the band wagon for Tajh Boyd out of Clemson. He has a big arm, is tall and athletic, a very solid runner and pretty good mechanics. I'm a Clemson fan so anytime they're on TV I try and make sure I watch them and he's a difference maker.

If Brandon Weeden does do well and we're able to win 6 or 7 games (or more) I'm hoping we'll be able to finally use our 1st round pick on a luxury pick such as the best available Tight End, Offensive Guard, or Wide Receiver. Sammy Watkins or Marquiese Lee would be great additions to our offense at wide receiver.

Let's just hope next year we won't need to use the extra 3rd and 4th rounders we obtained this year to move around for a Quarterback, but with our string of luck over the last 10 years and the way Weeden played last year, I'm guess we'll be looking for a QB again next year...

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
Legend
Legend
I think that we should take a QB high in next year's draft (if one is available) even if Weeden becomes the best QB in the NFL next year.

Weeden will be 31 next year.If we take a kid in next year's draft, we would control him for 5 years. That woudl take us through Weeden's 36th birthday. It would give us protection if Weeden should then struggle down the road. It would give us an asset. It would give us a line of succession. It would give us protection against injury.

I would rather have a Montana/Young scenario than having a Frye/DA/Quinn scenario.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

C
Legend
Legend
C
If you have an elite QB you need to build around them, not prepare for when they leave.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Brett Hundley. Not exactly a sleeper, but if he has the same type of season he had last year without Franklin he will charge hard up the boards.

Legend
Legend
If you are in position to draft a premium QB, I believe that you have to take it. (especially on a team like ours that has been starved for quality starting QB play)

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Brett Hundley. Not exactly a sleeper, but if he has the same type of season he had last year without Franklin he will charge hard up the boards.

yes, for some reason I hadn't realized that he was a redshirt freshman last year as well (thought he was a true freshman). he certainly could challenge for those top QB slots with the others.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Under your hypothetical scenario Weeden at least played well. In that scenario we probably wouldn't be in the position to draft a "premium" QB and wouldn't need to.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

If Brandon Weeden does do well and we're able to win 6 or 7 games

That's my biggest fear....that Weeden will have a mediocre or slightly better year. We still won't know what we've got, and he'll be 32 with question marks the following year. I sincerely hope he either lights it up or falls flat on his face.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C
If he falls flat on his face, I imagine Campbell will be playing QB pretty soon after.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Never too early 2014 top prospects

Link Copied to Clipboard