Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I've been one of the main guys saying, "DO NOT DRAFT A QB"

But here we are, going into the 4th round and Ryan Nassib and Matt Barkley are still on the board.

Does anyone think that the value of one of these guys is going to be too much to pass up at this point, and we take a QB?

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
I really really hope not.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
My opinion on this QB class is that it's over-hated. There are about 5-6 QBs available that have pretty good 4th/5th round value. Considering the investment, it won't hinder us to draft a QB in the 1st should Weeden fail. Great spot to pick up a developmental QB and stash him as the clipboard holder in his rookie season imho

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
Out of curiousity, where will Landry Jones fall to? His stock has crashed as bad or worse than Barkley.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
F
Rookie
Rookie
F
Can't wait to see brownie fans set their hair on fire when we take Nassib !! would not be surprised.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No thanks. There are obviously reasons why both those guys fell through 3 rounds. QB needy teams keep passing on them, so there is something.

At some point, some team that does not need a QB will snag them, to sit them and groom them. They will get picked, just obviously no one thinks they are a quick answer.

Nassib's old college coach reaching for a different QB did not help him at all.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
C
Rookie
Rookie
C
In opinion always draft a qb in every draft you have.Why you might ask,well injuries#1 and you never know what you get and in the 4th to 7th round will not hurt the Cleveland Browns just to see what they have.Also qb's can convert to other positions,there very football smart.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
At this point, Tyler Bray may have too many gifts as a QB to pass up, especially if he is there in the 5th.

you had a good run Hank.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Big question seems to be about his heart? How much does the game really mean to him? If you're asking those questions about a player, buyer beware (regardless of the round).

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
S
Legend
Legend
S
It's not often I agree with Grossi, but I do when he said earlier this morning that the Browns' value of these QB's in Chud and Norv's system is pretty low, and that they will use these resources to add depth at other positions.

If that's the case, I would rather see them grab the best players they have scouted. Guards, safeties, tight ends.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

At this point, Tyler Bray may have too many gifts as a QB to pass up, especially if he is there in the 5th.

Bray is the only QB i wouldn't mind brining in late... and thats not even to compete with Weeden.. i'm cool w/ him sitting as the 3rd string and just learning more about the game.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
My thought is...Aside from Matt Schaub... Is there any evidence a QB can be groomed in this era? Does that ever actually happen?

I figure there is maybe a 5% chance any of these guys become anything but backups. And I don't even have game tape on them. I just know they weren't worthy of a first round pick. And therefore will not succeed in the modern NFL.

C
Legend
Legend
C
A good backup QB is a valuable thing.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
I'd rather have a starter at any position over a backup QB.

There are Jason Campbells available almost every off season that are more than capable of spot starting.

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
I liked Nassib in the 4th but the Giants picked him right before us....It will be interesting to follow his preseason career for the next couple of years..

Could be worth a future draft pick down the road for the Giants while serving as a good back-up in years 2 and 3

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

My thought is...Aside from Matt Schaub... Is there any evidence a QB can be groomed in this era? Does that ever actually happen?

Aaron Rodgers, Phillip Rivers, Colin Kapernick, off the top of my head.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Aaron Rodgers, Phillip Rivers, Colin Kapernick, off the top of my head.

i dont know if rodgers and rivers count.. they were expected to do well regardless..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
C
Legend
Legend
C
Is that why the Packers drafted two QBs in the draft the year Rodgers was going to start (Brohm and Flynn)?

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Will the value of a QB become too much?

Link Copied to Clipboard