P
PDR Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
1 (6) - Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB, LSU
2 (supp.) - Josh Gordon, WR, Baylor
3 (68) - Leon McFadden, CB, San Diego St.
6 (175) - Jamoris Slaughter, S, Notre Dame
7 (217) - Armonty Bryant, DE/OLB, East Central (OK)
7 (227) Garrett Gilkey, OT/OG, Chadron State

Additional acquisitions:

Davone Bess, WR
2014 3rd round pick (PIT)
2014 4th round pick (IND)

Discuss.

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Good draft.

Clearly looking more towards the future than immediate impact IMO.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

1 (6) - Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB, LSU
2 (comp.) - Josh Gordon, WR, Baylor
3 (68) - Leon McFadden, CB, San Diego St.
6 (175) - Jamoris Slaughter, S, Notre Dame
7 (217) - Armonty Bryant, DE/OLB, East Central (OK)
7 (227) Garrett Gilkey, OT/OG, Chadron State

Additional acquisitions:

Davone Bess, WR
2014 3rd round pick (PIT)
2014 4th round pick (IND)

Discuss.

think if we had a #2 we would have took geno smith.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Legend
Legend
I like my mock draft from the DT version better.

The highlight for me is Bess.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm happy with it and can finally stop watching TV for a few hours.

Legend
Legend
Love our first pick, and really like our second.

It seems like 2 of our 3rd day picks are guys with great physical ability who fell for one reason or another. If they do work out, they could be major steals. If not, then they get cut.

I like the idea of picking up extra picks for next year, That's exactly how New England works their drafts, and thus they often have multiple 2nd-4th round picks.

I'll wait to see how our guys work out. It is obvious that we took extreme steps to make sure this 3-4 is in place, 100%, this season.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
Quote:

I'm happy with it and can finally stop watching TV for a few hours.

Legend
Legend
Well, I half expected Banner/Lombardi to do something foolish to make a splash or take some risks....and fortunately instead it really looks like they had a plan and stuck with it. We have a lot of new blood on this team, and I have no problem at all with swapping 4-5 for next year's 3-4. For everyone that says it takes a few years to develop 3rd round and up players, why don't we do that with the players we already have instead of replace them with new ones? We still haven't seen what Gipson, Wade, Bademosi or even Skrine's potential are.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
There are quite a few things I would have done differently but ultimately I'm ok with how things turned out.

I was a big proponent of adding 2014 picks and they did that in the middle rounds.

Mingo and McFadden vs. Milliner and Moore is not close IMO but Mingo does have freakish athletic ability and it looks like McFadden is a natural pass catcher.

Josh Gordon was a great pick last year even though I though it had a high dud probability.

And Devone Bess is a first down machine. I did not know this but he was number 2 in the NFL in third down conversions the last 5 years (130) behind only Roddy White (146). And one had Matt Ryan at the helm...and one did not! lol

Overall I'm very happy. It's not "celebrate good times come on!" but I had the bar pretty low for Lombardi and Banner here and they easily exceeded those expectations.

btw...I actually think the lack of a QB drafted is one of the best moves they made this year!

[Linked Image]
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Rush the passer, Pass the football, the new NFL and the first few picks show it.

Legend
Legend
last 2 picks for me are a waste..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I project three starters, three subs & and two special teams players this year:

Starters:

Gordon
Mingo
Gilkey

Subs:

Bess
McFadden
Slaughter (also see him on special teams)

ST:

Bryant (Potential to sub in pass rush situations)

Overall, I like it. Love the extra picks next year, and love that we addressed pass rusher, corner and guard.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Very good job by our new FO, We added 2 excellent Wr's counting Gordan, we added extra picks in 2014 and we got a great pass rusher a pretty decent CB and a G that was projected much higher than where we drafted him ... job well done

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So the current FO gets credit for Gordon?

I understand the rational of Gordon effectively "being our second round pick this year" but the current regime gets absolutely no credit for that selection.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

LOL Most every teams 7th rounders are a waste.. but every once in a while, you find a gem..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Happy with the trades for next year. As much as I want to win now, trading for picks next year will give us the opportunity to trade up for a top QB if need be.

Since I didn't see Mingo much my opinion of him is based on his highlight films and stats. I am a little concerned about how much production Mingo can give us from the get go. I'm hoping the fact that he was supposedly used more for containment than rushing the QB will prove my concerns are baseless.

I like what I have seen and read about Mcfadden.

I like the idea of taking shots on small school athletes in the 7th. However, I would have preferred not to pick a pot dealer. Hopefully, he has straightened out since then.

#gmstrong
P
PDR Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Quote:

However, I would have preferred not to pick a pot dealer. Hopefully, he has straightened out since then.

The drug thing is always a concern to have, but we've been pretty lucky in that arena.

Gordon looks promising, and we all know how much Cribbs meant to the organization over the years.

R
Rookie
Rookie
R
the best pick for the banner/lombardi front office was the second round pick.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Based on exactly what?

The more things change the more they stay the same.
P
PDR Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Quote:

The highlight for me is Bess.

We absolutely stole him from Miami.

I would've been content to give up a fourth for the guy. And we got him for peanuts.

GREAT move.

Legend
Legend
I will LMAO if Ginkey starts. I doubt Mingo starts over Sheard or Krueger.

My money is on McFadden being the only rookie starter.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Well this was not a Strong draft class at all. I'm an OL nut but when 6 of top 11 picks are OL, 2 OGs in the Top 10 when that just doesn't happen at all!

So there were certain things we did that I thought were great. One starts with Heckert.

Gordon for our 2nd round pick. Now a year of experience n the kid is working very hard to become better.

Bess...A slot WR - I'm considered a homer but I've been sour on Benjamin being our slot WR now we got one. Maybe a punt returner as well.

2014 3rd round pick (Steelers) for a swapped 4th round pick we got from the Bess deal with Miami...it has to be a better draft class.

2014 4th round pick (Colts) for our late 5th round pick...

So I see us starting this all with 7 picks.
We gave up our 3rd string QB in trade.
We got Gordon in the Supplemental draft.
We got Davon Bess for a slot WR n Punt Returner
We got 5 picks from the draft...seems to be guys we targeted at certain rounds.
We come away with an extra 3rd n 4th round picks for the 2014 draft.

We can sit here n praise or nitpick each drafted player but we don't know how it will turn out. Not sure if Mayock is a good buddy of Lombardi but he loved each of our picks especially the late rounders...lol

We got a PROSPECT for our Edge Rusher in a new Attack Defense.
We got a pretty darn good cover corner...not sure how he is against the run but the kid can cover.
We got a Safety who is a football player n said to be a day one special teamer.
We got another DE/OLB for depth n special teams.
We got a Giant of an OL man I guess to compete with the big guy we got last year...hopefully he's better than him. Can't believe somebody penciled him in as a starter...lol Come on Dawg!

Loved what we did in FA...n we might add more now that the draft is over?

We added to our young foundation nicely only time will tell the END STORY...we deserve a good ending for a change

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
L
2nd String
2nd String
L
Wanted Milliner, hopefully Mingo will produce.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

...trading for picks next year will give us the opportunity to trade up for a top QB if need be.

Depending on how far we would have to move up, it will take a heck of a lot more than 3rd and 4th rounders. Likely those 2 picks would not even be involved if such a move up is made...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
All I have to say is that I think the Browns have higher opinions of Bademosi, Cameron, Gipson, and the FA corners that were signed than I do.

Surprised that the Browns went for picks next year, when there are still a lot of holes to fill.

This draft leaves me with a bit eh.... and to be completely honest, I have avoided all the discussion on Lombardi and Banner, until they have had a chance to play their cards.

The first impression... not really all that thrilled.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

U
All Pro
All Pro
U
Love the first two picks, and love trading for future picks.

As for the late rounders, I don't have a clue, nor do I care all that much. Based on what little I know I see why the front office felt they were draftable, and that is good enough for me.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

The first impression... not really all that thrilled.

Agreed. It may have been functional, but it was pretty bland...

V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL......the guy didn't mean for a 3rd and 4th rounder. They would be part of a package.

Bland? Maybe, but you were going to complain no matter what.

I think the draft was smart. No, not sensational. Solid. Smart.

This was a terrible draft class and we made two trades to get higher picks in next year's draft. I think that is very smart. Very impressive.

Mingo is a bit of a gamble, but he fits our defense and almost every player in this draft had questions. Heck, Ansah went before Mingo.

I like our 3rd round pick and our 6th round pick [for his potential]. I don't know anything about the 7th round guys, but my nephew texted me and told me one guy tried to sell pot to a cop at practice. Really?

We stole Bess and that has to count.

Someone said the new FO gets no credit for the Gordon pick. That is absolutely correct. What he forgot to mention was that the new FO should not be blamed for not having a 2nd round pick and it obviously took some of the glitter [opposite of bland] off of this particular draft. I think it's safe to say that we would have probably gotten a recognizable name in the 2nd. So, while the FO doesn't get the credit for Gordon, people need to take into account that this FO did not have a 2nd round pick and that diminishes the luster of the overall class.

Bottom line: Not a sexy draft. Not a spectacular draft. But, it wasn't a stupid draft like many that we have had in the past. I think the Browns showed an incredible amount of patience. I think that is all Banner. The guy is extremely intelligent and he isn't going to panic. I think we played it smart. Very smart. Solid draft that puts us in good position for next year's draft, which will be stronger.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
JC..

I'm a bit mixed. I like that they came up with a plan and actually fulfilled it rather than force a pick. And that Bess deal was killer. We have the big guys, but didn't have that possession guy. Really haven't had one since JJ...Bess will step in and play right away. We actually have a solid WR corps with Nelson and Bess coming in to team up with Gordon, Little and Benjamin.

I understand the need for a pass rusher was bigger in their theory than a CB. I preferred Milliner, but also liked Mingo. And as irritated as I was getting with the trades, I understand where they are coming from, and as I said, they stuck to their guns.

Little concerned at our TE/FB positions, though....not addressed.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

LOL......the guy didn't mean for a 3rd and 4th rounder. They would be part of a package.quote]
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I was stating that any significant move up for a top QB will not involve 3rd or 4th rounders...

I
Rookie
Rookie
I
First off, I would like to commend the Browns for a certain two players that they drafted this week. These two players, who I think were good picks, especially for where they were taken, are 'Cornerback Leon McFadden Jr, SDST' and 'Safety Jamoris Slaughter, ND' and despite these picks not being sexy picks, (Which I know Is what alot of people wanted) I still think these players are pretty solid.

Both Slaughter and McFadden Jr are very agressive players, and have high ceilings, both from a Athletic, and Skill perspective. Both players are a perfect fit for the Browns, and would be perfect compliments alongside Joe Haden, and my boy TJ Ward. I truly believe that our FO scored big with these two players, and I'd be surprised If they both weren't starting by Week 4.

Another player who I think stands out well Is 'OT/OG Garrett Gilkey, Chadron ST'. The kid has a great work ethic and has the attitude of a great player. Again, may not be a sexy pick that everyone wanted, but he Is definitely a talent. And correct me If I'm wrong, but wasn't Gilkey projected to go In the 5th or 4th round? definitely a steal since the Browns picked him up In the 7th, but besides all that, I definitely think that Gilkey has what It takes to be a starter for the Browns. I think he would be a great Offensive Guard.

As far as 'OLB/DE Barkevious Mingo, LSU' goes, like I said before, really wasn't what I was expecting at #6, would have thought the Browns would have traded down before picking Mingo, but It's not a bad pick. Mingo undoubtingly has what It takes to be a star, and Is quite a freak himself. He ran a 4.5 at the Combine, and can get to the QB quick, so I'm interested to see what he can bring to the table. He's around 6'4, 242 lbs, so QB's will have to be cautious when throwing over him. When It's all said and done, he'll probably be around 250 lbs at the season opener, which Is good for a 6'4 Linebacker, I truly think that Mingo has serious potential.

The only pick that I'm not to high on, (but I'm sure he Is) Is 'DE Armonty Bryant, ECO' I mean sure, Bryant Is a freak athleticly, and since he's a big boy, It makes It even better. I'm also pretty sure that he can hit harder then Hurricane Katrina, so I mean, as long as Bryant cleans up his Marijuana act, and gets his head straight, then I think this pick Is okay.

So there you go, my two cents on the Cleveland Browns 2013 Draft Class. My complete grade would probably be a solid B, but of course, we'll have to wait for everything to pan out, before even giving this draft an appropriate grade.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
F.................wish i felt different...........

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I doubt this is true

#gmstrong
B
Rookie
Rookie
B
i dont think its better then a C-, could be an complete failure all together.

Mingo is athletic, but people get confused with the diffrence between edge rusher which is what Mingo is and Pass Rusher. he doesn't really have pass rushing moves and he's weak against the run, i just struggle seeing him doing anything worthy of 6th overall pick status

McFadden could be good, he was a man-to-man CB in college, i think we needed a bigger corner but we'll see, he's got the skills to be at least a solid #3 but who knows about how he can become a #2

Slaughter is probably going to be just a backup to ward/ST guy, he lacked explosiveness before the injury and could have lost even more but he could still be a good box saftey

i do like the Bryant kid and think he could be a good backup and a great value pick

i also think the same for the guard they drafted last

Cant give this draft credit for Gordon, or Bess since they werent drafted in this draft. The trades for next years pick are TBD

This draft is pretty much banking on Mingo being successful or not

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hated the Mingo pick but love his potential if that makes sense. poor hand technique and pass rusher ugggg. Horton supposedly is a great teacher of technique, he will need to be if this pick has any chance for success. If it is a hit damn that is a fierce front 7. Big Risk/Reward

McFadden was the mystery corner I kept hearing about. I would have taken Bledi but this kid has pretty good hips and is a willing tackler. I think he probably becomes the slot guy and Skrine goes outside.

Trading for future picks I really liked.

Wish we had jumped up for Swope but Slaughter was a terrific player, now we have to wait and see. Mega steal if he can return to health. Big risk/reward

Bryant wow never heard of him but that first step just blew me away. the youtube video looked like Deacon out there. I know it was highschool level competition but that first step is still gonna be explosive at the next level. He just has to work on everything else. Nice project prospect

Gilkey never heard of him. know nothing of him.

If we can land Bray as an unrestricted this draft will become so much better.

Don't like the draft, dont hate the draft

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You have to take this draft as a whole....

Barkevious Mingo
Josh Gordon
Leon McFadden
2014 3rd round pick
2014 4th round pick
Jamoris Slaughter
Armonty Bryant
Garrett Gilkey
Davone Bess

Yes, we only drafted 5 players, and you can debate the value of those players, but we came out of this draft with quite a bit...

I
Rookie
Rookie
I
Quote:

Mingo is athletic, but people get confused with the diffrence between edge rusher which is what Mingo is and Pass Rusher. he doesn't really have pass rushing moves and he's weak against the run, i just struggle seeing him doing anything worthy of 6th overall pick status

McFadden could be good, he was a man-to-man CB in college, i think we needed a bigger corner but we'll see, he's got the skills to be at least a solid #3 but who knows about how he can become a #2

Slaughter is probably going to be just a backup to ward/ST guy, he lacked explosiveness before the injury and could have lost even more but he could still be a good box saftey

i do like the Bryant kid and think he could be a good backup and a great value pick

Cant give this draft credit for Gordon, or Bess since they werent drafted in this draft. The trades for next years pick are TBD

I think Slaughter could end up being the starting Free Safety, If he gets a chance to showcase his skills. Then again, there isn't that much competition at that position anyways.

B
Rookie
Rookie
B
Quote:

Quote:

I think Slaughter could end up being the starting Free Safety, If he gets a chance to showcase his skills. Then again, there isn't that much competition at that position anyways.

watch out for Bademosi at the FS spot

V
Legend
Legend
V
Good effort, but there is already a thread on grading the draft.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

Quote:

I doubt this is true

you doubt what? that i wish i felt different....i do....at best i can give them a D+. I just dont agree with how we addressed our secondary.

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Your 2013 Cleveland Browns NFL Draft

Link Copied to Clipboard