Frank Minnifield
DB
Height:5-9
Weight:180lbs

Hanford Lee Dixon
DB
Height:5-11
Weight:186 lbs

I bet there are those on this board who would have a COW if we drafted these guys today.

Just saying..........

I'm hiding in Honduras, I'm a desperate man.
Send lawyers guns and money!

Warren Zevon
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
different game then.... receivers not as big and the D could be a lot more agreesive in coverage, hand checking etc.

That siad those panning the McFadden pick based solely on his height... need tgo get a grip. His hip turn, quickness out of the break and on missteps, and his general agressiveness more than compensate for his height.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I'd expect everyone to be angry because those guys are decades past their primes.

Kidding aside, we only drafted one of those guys, the other was a free agent.

Proud fan of the Pulaski Academy football strategy.
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Dick Schafrath was an all pro several times at OT and played at about 270 lbs. How many offensive tackles in the NFL today at 270? How many at the big college programs? He just wouldn't cut it today.

C
1st String
1st String
C
I loved those guys!!!!....and Felix Wright!!!..great secondary,and we should have gone to the bowl,and would have if it hadn't been for stupid Byners dumb fumble.They show that game on ESPN every now and again,and even now it still rips my heart out.I would like a bigger CB seeing as how WRs are built like NBA players,but our pick can flat out ball....so no complaints from me.
Would have been nice to of gotten Milliner but whatever....the Browns are headed in the right direction and it will take more than one draft to get the players they need.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

different game then.... receivers not as big and the D could be a lot more agreesive in coverage, hand checking etc.

I agree. It was a different game then. Who knows, maybe those 2 would still be great today....just don't know.

In the Mingo thread, some were saying he needs to add weight to be good, some were saying "well, look at Clay Matthews, Lawrence Taylor etc " (comparing size).

Same thought crossed my mind - those linebackers weren't playing against linemen the size of today. Doesn't mean they wouldn't be good anyway.......but comparing the size of players from 20 or 30 years ago and saying "see, so and so was good at X weight" doesn't hold as much mustard when you consider that EVERYONE is bigger and stronger now.

C
Rookie
Rookie
C
Quote:

I loved those guys!!!!....and Felix Wright!!!..great secondary,and we should have gone to the bowl,and would have if it hadn't been for stupid Byners dumb fumble.They show that game on ESPN every now and again,and even now it still rips my heart out.I would like a bigger CB seeing as how WRs are built like NBA players,but our pick can flat out ball....so no complaints from me.
Would have been nice to of gotten Milliner but whatever....the Browns are headed in the right direction and it will take more than one draft to get the players they need.

To be fair to Byner though...we would not have been in that position without him...he had an amazing season forgotten by one play...a big play but one play.

No, I have no idea who Sam Axe is.
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Quote:

Quote:

To be fair to Byner though...we would not have been in that position without him...he had an amazing season forgotten by one play...a big play but one play.

I blame Webster Slaughter for not coming off the line of scrimmage hard and at least make contatct with his guy, his guy was the guy who caused the fumble.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

That siad those panning the McFadden pick based solely on his height... need tgo get a grip. His hip turn, quickness out of the break and on missteps, and his general agressiveness more than compensate for his height.

LOL,, Couldn't the same things be said about Minnifield and Dixon back in the day? Point is, they were good, they found a way to get the job done. I want that attitude. Height won't matter nearly as much.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Pfft like we'd ever draft a 5'11 190 LBs CB

D
Legend
Legend
D
Minnifield short stature was offset by a 40" vertical; he had some serious hops. He could play with this generation of players, in his prime.

Legend
Legend
One thing I like about McFadden, from his scouting reports, is that he is compared to Brent Grimns, another guy we tried to get.

People were thrilled that we were attempting to get the 5'10" Grimes, coming back from an Achilles injury. I am excited about McFadden at this point, and think that he might be a real steal for the Browns. As people often say about QBs ...... if he was only a couple of inches taller, he'd have been a 1st round pick.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Legend
Legend
D
I think the Browns would have gone to the SB twice in the 80's if Don Rogers hadn't died from a cocaine overdose. He was the defensive rookie of the year in 1985, and was, imo, comparable to Ronnie Lott. Its hard to imagine Elway completing some of those passes in "The Drive" game or in Denver the following year if Rogers had been out there instead of Chris Rockins or Felix Wright.

Anyone else remember a poster that came out after the '85 season called "The Last Dawgs Of The Defense"? It was a photo of Hanford, Minnie, Al Gross, and Don Rogers wearing tuxes, standing on the stairway leading up to Severance Hall, each holding a Doberman on a leash. Cool pic, wish I could find it online.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Remember it well !..

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Let's also keep in mind that Byner's fumble happened on a play that would only have TIED the game. Even if he had scored, a victory was still not guaranteed

"too many notes, not enough music-"
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Let's also keep in mind that Byner's fumble happened on a play that would only have TIED the game. Even if he had scored, a victory was still not guaranteed

And let ME not forget - I was at my brother and sis in laws basement apartment watching the game. When Byner went around the left side, open ground with only 1 guy to run over for the t.d, I jumped up yelling, hit my head on the ceiling........then crumbled to the ground after the fumble.

Here's a good take on it. Someone mentioned the w.r. not blocking..... that's kind of Schottenheimer's take on it as well. Granted, a fumble is a fumble, I know.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Hated it then, hate it now...

P
Legend
Legend
P
Mighty Minni and Top Dawg simplt the best set of CB's I ever saw ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
If I'm being objective, Lester Hayes and Mike Haynes were the best duo I've ever seen.

But Frank and Hanford aren't far behind.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I was just a kid, but GB's Herb Adderly and Willie Wood were top notch. This (best CB tandems) might be a good thread its ownself.

**Edit**
Doh! Willie Wood was a FS - hey, I said I was a kid ...

Last edited by Dave; 05/12/13 07:04 PM.
Legend
Legend
I think Ronnie Lott and Eric Wright were right up there. Nobody could throw on those guys.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

Minnifield short stature was offset by a 40" vertical; he had some serious hops. He could play with this generation of players, in his prime.

it was those monster calves he had!

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I think Ronnie Lott and Eric Wright were right up there. Nobody could throw on those guys.

Lott was a Safety ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Lott was a Safety ...

eventually, Lott was a CB for years before the 49ers moved him to S

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Lott was a Safety ...

True but he made a name for himself at Safety not CB ... JMHO

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Lott was a Safety ...

True but he made a name for himself at Safety not CB ... JMHO

He was one hell of a CB before he switched to FS. In his 1st 5 seasons as a CB, (he switched to FS during his 5th year in the league) he had 23 INT, 4 TD on INT returns, and was a tackling machine.

He was 2nd in rookie of the year voting as a CB to some guy named Lawrence Taylor. I don't think that he was thought of poorly as a CB, but his incredible instincts put him in the middle of almost every play at FS.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Did not say he was a bad CB Y-Town, but if you ask most fans they would be shocked he even played CB ... JMHO

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Lott was a Safety ...

Are you frickin' kidding? Banging your head? NFL.com has Wright/Lott as the #3 cornerback tandem of all time, and Lott as the #7 cornerback of all time. The defensive backfield of Ronnie Lott and Eric Wright at cornerback , Carlton Williamson and Dwight Hicks at the safeties were arguably the best defensive backfield of all time. Lott cut his teeth at cornerback and with Eric Wright shut down just about everyone they faced. He switched to safety to prolong his career.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Lott was a Safety ...

Are you frickin' kidding? Banging your head? NFL.com has Wright/Lott as the #3 cornerback tandem of all time, and Lott as the #7 cornerback of all time. The defensive backfield of Ronnie Lott and Eric Wright at cornerback , Carlton Williamson and Dwight Hicks at the safeties were arguably the best defensive backfield of all time. Lott cut his teeth at cornerback and with Eric Wright shut down just about everyone they faced. He switched to safety to prolong his career.

He may have "cut his teeth at CB" but he became a Hall of Famer because of his play @ Safety ... JMHO

P
Legend
Legend
P
RONNIE LOTT : HALL OF FAME BIO: Go to www.profootballhalloffame.com ... then go to list of team:

Ronnie Lott Class of 2000 Cornerback Safety 1981–1990 First round draft pick, 1981. Starter, left cornerback position as rookie. Moved to safety, 1985. All-Pro at three different positions (cornerback, free safety, strong safety). 100-plus tackles five seasons. Interceptions leader twice, 1986, 1990. Strong presence on defense during 49ers four Super Bowl seasons - 63 career interceptions for 730 yards, 5 TDs..

Yes he played well at both but notice his 2 years leading the NFL in int's were at Safety ...

Legend
Legend
Well, the thing is that we were discussing great cornerback tandems, which I said Lott and Wright were. Then you banged your head into the wall and said Lott was a safety, which pretty much indicated that you're saying I'm full of crap and he was not a cornerback (when in fact he was a great one). It would be a lot easier to admit you made a mistake than to try and spin your way out of it at my expense.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Forgive me if I offended you ...

All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

Frank Minnifield
DB
Height:5-9
Weight:180lbs

Hanford Lee Dixon
DB
Height:5-11
Weight:186 lbs

I bet there are those on this board who would have a COW if we drafted these guys today.

Just saying..........

Probably a top 3 corner duo all time. I remember talking to Minifield at a Bills/Browns scrimage in Edinboro PA. Franks thighs were bigger than my waist.

GO BROWNS!
Legend
Legend
Speaking of which, I REALLY wish we still had that scrimmage here! As a child that was always the highlight of my summer/fall. I remember meeting so many of my favorite players, getting autographs, pictures, etc.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
All Pro
All Pro
Those were the days, I remember calling the motel where Clay Matthews was a rook to welcome him to the Browns. Edinboro was a great halfway for the Bills/Browns scrimage.

GO BROWNS!
Legend
Legend
Yes those were the days! I assume the money/injury thing became too much of an inconvenience for what it's worth. But it was great for the fans of all 3 states.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

which pretty much indicated that you're saying I'm full of crap

You are!

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

I think the Browns would have gone to the SB twice in the 80's if Don Rogers hadn't died from a cocaine overdose. He was the defensive rookie of the year in 1985, and was, imo, comparable to Ronnie Lott. Its hard to imagine Elway completing some of those passes in "The Drive" game or in Denver the following year if Rogers had been out there instead of Chris Rockins or Felix Wright.

Rogers death was indeed devastating. At his bachelor party, I believe.

I remember it vividly. You're no doubt correct about Rogers not being there was the edge that gave Denver both victories.

Sad. Tragic. Stupid.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Rogers death was indeed devastating. At his bachelor party, I believe.

I remember it vividly. You're no doubt correct about Rogers not being there was the edge that gave Denver both victories.

Sad. Tragic. Stupid.

That was sad,, Didn't his younger brother die of an OD as well?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Yes you're correct at his bach post party. Just rercieved my Last Dawgs of Defense tee that Friday only to be told by another coach on BB all star team that that this tee no longer legit on Sat AM when I strutng my stuff . If only Marty had some cajoles instead of being conserative when the Elways at 2 yd line,should have sent the Pound at them also from the rear. I can also remember other combos: Thom Darden and Clarence Scott,Warren Lahr and Ken Konz.

I bleed Seal Brown,Burnt Oranage and White w/Chrome. It's a proud honored birthright and family tradition.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Minnifield and Dixon... Remember them?

Link Copied to Clipboard