Next Thread
Print Thread
#1762718 05/14/20 02:47 AM
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
If you like to eat meat and your not afraid to get your hands bloody to get it ... consider raising rabbits.

A pair of rabbits will give you 4-8 bunnies a month. The ideal starting point is 4 pairs of rabbits. That gives you 16-32 bunnies a month. Those bunnies can then start breeding after just 3 months.

So those of you good at math lets say we use the average of 6 bunnies a month for each pair and for the sake of easier math that 50% are boys and 50% are girls. Now lets say for 1 year we don't harvest any rabbits and instead just breed them, as soon as, they are old enough. How many rabbits would you have at the end of 1 year. Also, if each rabbit yields 2 plds of meat then how much meat would you have if you harvested the rabbits at the end of the year?

If you can do the math then you will understand why God made rabbits in order to feed the world of predators. 4 pairs of rabbits means you will never go hungry.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
'N Korean communists ate my giant rabbits'
Karl Szmolinsky with one of his giant rabbits, which weighs 23lb

By Martin Beckford

05 Apr 2007

A rabbit breeder who sold 12 of his animals to North Korea so the communist country could start its own breeding programme fears they have been eaten by officials.

Karl Szmolinsky sent the huge rabbits, which can grow as big as dogs and produce 15lb (7kg) of meat, to North Korea last year so they could be bred and used to ease desperate food shortages.

He thought they were being kept at a zoo in the capital Pyongyang and was planning to travel to the country after Easter to give advice on setting up a breeding facility.

But the 68-year-old says his trip has been cancelled and he suspects it may be because communist officials have eaten the rabbits, which he sold for a cut-price €80 (£54) each rather than the usual €200.
Related Articles

North Korea puts its bunny where its mouth is 12 Jan 2007

Mr Szmolinsky, who has won prizes for his rabbits during 47 years of breeding them, said: "That’s an assumption, not an assertion. But they’re not getting any more.

"I think the animals aren’t alive any more. I was due to go and inspect the animals and look at the facility.

"They kept delaying the trip. I would have liked to go."

He added that he will no longer export rabbits to the country. "North Korea won’t be getting anything from me any more, they shouldn’t even bother asking."

But the North Korean embassy in Berlin denied anyone had contacted Mr Szmolinsky and insisted his "German grey giant" rabbits were still alive.

"The rabbits aren’t intended to be eaten, they are for breeding purposes," a spokesman said.

More than two million people are thought to have died as a result of a famine in North Korea during the mid-1990s, and its citizens have been encouraged to breed rabbits to be eaten as food shortages continue.

Mr Szmolinsky, meanwhile, is in talks to sell his rabbits to a host of other countries including China and Russia.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1547755/N-Korean-communists-ate-my-giant-rabbits.h

B
Legend
Legend
B
Eating large quantities of rabbit actually leads to starvation.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
Legend
T
If Bunnies were the best food, we'd have the Mc'Ribbet's

6 million chickens per building, 10 sets of 5 buildings,
Put em out in the Country somewhere, and you get Chicken nuggets, Chicken Sandwich patties, Chicken wings, Breasts, KFC, Poppeyes,
Chicken tacos' noodle soup,

Anyone who wants to raise 30 rabbits, for food, look in to the cost to feed them, clean them and process them too.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Eating large quantities of rabbit actually leads to starvation.

Yup. You have to supplement fats, otherwise your body can't even process the proteins.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I think McDonald's has already copyrighted "McRibbets" in case they ever market frog legs.

Legend
Legend
Why do I suddenly have the urge to watch Fatal Attraction?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What the hell we haven't gotten over someone eating a bat. now you want to start another pandemic by eating rabbits ? We'll never see sports again ...lol

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg
What the hell we haven't gotten over someone eating a bat. now you want to start another pandemic by eating rabbits ? We'll never see sports again ...lol

rofl
thumbsup

"too many notes, not enough music-"
E
Legend
Legend
E
Rabbits have been raised as food animals for centuries....

There are a lot of people on my games who breed rabbits. The best ones they use as show animals and the rest are sold for meat.

No Craps Given
A
Legend
Legend
A
It doesn't take much to field dress a rabbit, and then cook it. Just saying.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Rabbit is a terrible meat. I used to use it for stew and it was edible, but other than that..........Nah!

A
Legend
Legend
A
Wild rabbit, perhaps. Unless it's cooked properly.

Rabbit raised for eating? Great stuff.

Rabbit is no different than any other meat. Cleaned wrong, cooked wrong, it's not good. Done right? Awesome.

What you said could be said about any meat: beef, pork, rabbit, squirrel, lamb, etc. With any of them, not done correctly, it's not good. Done correctly? Good stuff.

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Rabbit meat changes taste quite a bit based on the diet they eat. I am not a fan of wild rabbit but rabbits raised on cabbage seem to taste a LOT less gamey to me.

Someone brought up the cost of feed but it's actually pretty cheap to feed them.

I see no one has taken my math challenge yet. I'll give it a few more days but the numbers will shock you.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Wild rabbit, perhaps. Unless it's cooked properly.

Rabbit raised for eating? Great stuff.

Rabbit is no different than any other meat. Cleaned wrong, cooked wrong, it's not good. Done right? Awesome.

What you said could be said about any meat: beef, pork, rabbit, squirrel, lamb, etc. With any of them, not done correctly, it's not good. Done correctly? Good stuff.

I grew up eating wild rabbit. A bit gamey, but it's really good. Like you said, it just needs prepared properly, just like any other meat.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Razor is Daffy incognito....

Duck Season

Rabbit Season

Duck Season

Bam.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
I love cottontail rabbit meat. I don't think I've ever eaten tame rabbit. We always soak them in milk overnight in the fridge before cooking. Oven roasted or breaded and fried.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: jfanent
I love cottontail rabbit meat. I don't think I've ever eaten tame rabbit. We always soak them in milk overnight in the fridge before cooking. Oven roasted or breaded and fried.

My family soaked the meat in salt water overnight.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: cle23
My family soaked the meat in salt water overnight.

Same here. We grew up in an area that grew a lot of grain. Rabbit is just like any other wild game. Their diet has a huge influence on the taste of their meat. Luckily with all the grain in our area, the rabbit, deer and other wild game had very good flavor.

Hunting was a huge family tradition for us. Quail and pheasant was my favorite both from the challenge of the hunt, hardest targets to hit and the meat.

I ate rabbit and the meat didn't taste gamey but it certainly wasn't my favorite of the game we hunted by a large margin. As I said, quail and pheasant were at the top with venison running a close second.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Pheasant hunting was fun. My favorite was hunting grouse. Hard as hell. They are the most patient bird ever. You can walk right by them and they won't flush. I actually stepped on one. It's a real art to and it takes great skill and patience to hunt grouse.

I actually got a dog to help me hunt grouse. There are special dogs called versatile bird dogs. They point. They are steady to the gun. They can go in the thickest thorns [where grouse usually reside.] They retrieve on land and water. And are extremely smart. You might have made the connection by now of that is how I chose my screen name.

I had a Pudelpointer. It's an Eastern European dog where they took pointers and introduced a bit of the poodle. They did the latter because of their intelligence. There aren't many breeders in the US and I had to go to S. Dakota to buy her. Some of you might remember my post about when Dani Girl passed. Her real name was Daniella, a Romanian name. We were not going to call her that. She was Dani. My wife added the "Girl" part because she was such a joy in the house. Never peed. Relaxed as she could be. She would lay across your feet in the winter. Then, take her in the woods and she could hunt all damn day. I loved that dog.

Anyway, the grouse population was about gone in Ohio when I left the state in 2007. I doubt it's any better now. There aren't any in SC. However, if any of you think you can shoot, take a trip up to the Dakota's and give it a shot. As an added bonus, you won't find better breast meat on any animal, including chicken. Cook 'em on a spit over an open fire and it don't get no better than that. Fact, Jack!

P
Legend
Legend
P
Grouse are very much like quail in every respect except a little smaller. Both my mom's cousin and my uncle had bird dogs we used to hunt with. I worked for all of the local farmers and had the ground to hunt with their permission and they had the bird dogs.

We used German Shorthaired Pointers. They performed exactly as you described. The blizzard in 1978 pretty much destroyed quail hunting in Ohio and even when the numbers were such they allowed them to be hunted again I just didn't feel comfortable with it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E

https://vimeo.com/419420578

Someone want dinner?

(My new security camera rules.)

No Craps Given
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Neighbor has 6 chickens, lays about 42 eggs a week. That is the route we would go.

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
I love hearing how some of you prepare your rabbit. It's good sharing. One thing I like about rabbit meat is the diversity of taste you can get from breeding and how you feed them.

I have nothing against chickens. They are a great source of protein. They are however very noisy and most cities won't let you keep them in the city proper. 4 pair of rabbits in your garage though won't upset anyone because they are very quiet, so long as, you put a non see through barrier between the cages like black Plexiglas which are nice because they are easy to clean.

Of course out in the country you can do as you please for the most part. My problem with chickens though are the roosters. It's only a matter of time before that sucker is getting fried after waking me up on a day off LOL! And you gotta have a rooster to keep the hens from pecking each other to death it seems like.

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
SO here is the math for you guys and why rabbits are so important in the food chain of the wild and could easily be for humans as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Month 1 is 4 x 6= 24+8 = 32 bunnies
Month 2 is 4 x 6= 24+32 = 56 "
Month 3 is 4x 6= 24 + 56 = 80 "

So after 3 months our first batch of 24 bunnies can now have more bunnies so we have 8 plus 24 bunnies which is 32. 32/2 = 16 pairs of breeding bunnies in month 4.

Month 4 is 16 x 6 = 96 + 80 = 176 bunnies
Month 5 is 28 x 6 = 168 + 176 = 344 "
Month 6 is 40 x 6 = 240 + 344 = 584 "

So after 6 months Month 4 bunnies will start to have bunnies. 96/2 = 48 new pairs added to our 40 pairs for 88 pairs in month 7.

Month 7 is 88 x 6 = 528 +584 = 1112 bunnies
Month 8 is 172 x 6 = 1032 +1112 = 2144 "
Month 9 is 292 x 6 = 1752 + 2144 = 3896 "
Month 10 is 556 x 6 = 3336 + 3896 = 7232 "
Month 11 is 1072 x 6 = 6432 + 7232 = 13664 "
Month 12 is 1948 x 6 = 11688 + 13664 = 25,352 Bunnies

This is going with the idea that the avg of 6 bunnies will be born and half will be male and half will be female. Obviously in real life the perfect scenario will probably not happen. Still for the sake of math I can somewhat handle ... lets agree to use this model. Don't flame my poor math skills please =)

btw rabbits yield on avg 2 plds of meat so that would equal 50,704 lds of meat in one year. Rabbit meat sells for an avg of $18 a pld so you could earn $456,336‬ on meat alone.

if you work hard and skin them their pelts go for 5$ each which is $126,760 on skins alone.

Rabbits poop about 0.13 lbs per day. I am not doing a year of math for that but lets just do month 12! $3,295.76‬ plds of poop per day. a 10 pound bad of rabbit manure sells for $70 on amazon. You can make 329 bag of fertilizer a day. 329 x 70 = $23,030‬ a day x 31 days = $713,930 a month selling rabbit poo.

So as you can see, one year of rabbit farming could ensure you never go hungry ever again. The question is whether or not you can handle getting your hands dirty for a year. Of course, there is no guarantee if you make a product that you can sell said product. You also don't have to try and go commercial with it. Still with 4 pair of rabbits you can out produce a cattle farm for meat, skins, and fertilizer at a fraction of the cost.

Legend
Legend
My brother had chickens and guinea fowl out at his place in the country ...... until wolves or coyotes got them.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
My brother had chickens and guinea fowl out at his place in the country ...... until wolves or coyotes got them.
I have a neighbor who just recently lost a handful of ducks and chickens over the course of one night. He’s thinking foxes ... I’m thinking coyotes

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
They are pretty easy to keep, plus, if you keep a rooster around, you can hatch some chicks, though roosters can be annoying and many times, mean. The upside is you can eat chicken and not just eggs.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I have a neighbor who just recently lost a handful of ducks and chickens over the course of one night. He’s thinking foxes ... I’m thinking coyotes

This seems to have been a bumper year for fox and their young. I've seen a tremendous increase in them running around my property this spring.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt

This seems to have been a bumper year for fox and their young. I've seen a tremendous increase in them running around my property this spring.
hmm, interesting .. I’ll see if I hear the same here. I’m always fascinated by animal shifts and stuff

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If all hell breaks loose and anarchy reigns and the corner store is outta bidness.. never worry.. there is plenty of food. Just head to the nearest Business - Corporate park campus. Most of them have a pond. in that pond and on the mowed lawn are Canadian Geese. Take a wrist rocket slingshot with you.. Voila.. Roast Goose.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Legend
Legend
Quote:
wrist rocket slingshot

Oh, MAAAAAN.... what a blast from the past!
I'd forgotten all about those things.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend

You're probably right about the coyotes. Foxes are loners, coyotes can hang in packs and like to kill things.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
Have a pack of coyotes living in the fields and woods just in from of my house. They thrive because people think they need feral cats around their house and garages to eat field mice here... neighborhood is full of feral cats and the coyotes pick them off all winter. Several years back now they tried to take down my German Shepherd in his prime. Not on my watch... he was a scrapper but there were 3 coyotes surrounding him and two more headed in for the kill when I noticed what was going on.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
B
Legend
Legend
B
We have fox in the area. My neighbors saw my cat in basically a all day standoff with a fox. The wife in the morning, the husband in the afternoon when he got home.

When I got home he said, do you have a big orange cat? I said yes. He told me he was just fighting a fox. He and I scared off the fox. I called for Clark, he came out and he was agitated. I picked him up, but being in the state he was, I didn't want to get scratched, so I told the neighbor thanks and started to take Clark in the house.

My neighbor said, man, that cat is a fighter. You should have seen him, he got all big and every time the fox moved on him, he slashed it in the face with two paws, and sounded real mean too.

I had to sooth Clark down when we got in the house. Clark slept well that evening.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Legend
Legend
A
Cats - my Sammy rules our 2 acres. Twice though, I've had to take him to the vet for wounds. One was on his rear leg - something sliced right through - I could see through it. On a human, it would be the achilles tendon.

Vet cleaned it up and said "Well, he was in a fight with something, and he lost. If they're injured in the rear, they were running away."

Next time, whenever it was, Sammy had scratches and gashes on his face. Took him to the vet. Vet said "Well, he was in a fight with something, but he won."

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Never go hungry again ...

Link Copied to Clipboard