Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#750759 01/25/13 05:24 PM
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
and what better way to start things off then with satire. i'm actually not a big fan of most of Gallo's work, but I always enjoy his A-Z Superbowl article:

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/fandom/post/_/id/17422/the-title-worthy-a-to-z-of-super-bowl-xlvii

Quote:

Super Bowl week is almost upon us! Here’s the A-to-Z rundown of everything you need to know.

Akers -- David Akers is a kicking time bomb. The veteran 49ers kicker has made just three of his last six field goal attempts and is the favorite to win Super Bowl XLVII’s prestigious Scott Norwood Award. But it’s OK. Jim Harbaugh seems like a guy who would totally take missed field goals in the Super Bowl in stride. He wouldn’t beat Akers to death with a folding chair or anything.

Brothers -- Jim and John Harbaugh are brothers. It’s all over the news. Unfortunately, only one of them can win the Super Bowl. The other will be a loser and be given up for adoption to the Ryan family.

Commercials -- Thirty seconds of ad time went for $3.7 million to $3.8 million for this game. Money is apparently no object for Peyton Manning to appear in a Super Bowl.

Dancing -- Baltimore is designated as the away team for the Super Bowl, so we may not see Ray Lewis’ patented home-game dance routine. Maybe he would have added some New Orleans elements to it with an umbrella and beads. We’ll never know. Bummer.

Elite -- Younger readers may not believe this, but it’s true: The Super Bowl was originally created to determine the best team in the NFL. Now, of course, it’s a game used to declare one quarterback forever ELITE.

Flacco -- Joe Flacco said before the season that he sees himself as the best quarterback in the NFL. Winning a Super Bowl would really silence his critics … for as much as a second, at which point Flacco’s place among the worst quarterbacks to ever win a Super Bowl would be discussed.

Gimmick -- Baltimore backup linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo said before the AFC Championship Game that New England’s hurry-up offense was a gimmick. He later apologized. But now Baltimore is facing San Francisco’s read-option. Thoughts, Brendon? Come on. Out with it. We desperately need some storylines that aren’t about brothers or Ray Lewis. HELP US.

Harbaugh -- Remember them? The brothers? As neat as the Super Bowl is, the most exciting story might be whether a publisher can get a (guaranteed to be best-selling) book about Jack, Jim and John Harbaugh out in time for Father’s Day. All the best books are researched and written in about six weeks.

I -- There’s no “I” in “TEAM.” That’s the kind of thing team leaders like Ray Lewis will spout all week. However, there are three “I’s” in “INDIVIDUAL,” and the Super Bowl awards an MVP to the player who has the best individual performance. You can’t win a big game like this if one player doesn’t step up and have an amazing performance. Remember that, kids. Your team is only holding you down.

Justin -- Justin Smith of the 49ers will be as important as any player in Super Bowl XLVII. Unfortunately, he doesn’t play offense, doesn’t have a brother in the game and doesn’t do interpretive dance. Boring. Next.

Kaepernicking -- Colin Kaepernick has filed a trademark for “Kaepernicking”: the act of kissing one's biceps in celebration. Ugh. Athletes trademarking everything they do has gotten way out of hand. Next up: An athlete trademarks “Trademarking”: the act of trademarking everything they do.

Lip-synching -- American fraudstress Beyonce is performing at halftime. BOOOOOOO. We want the golden voice of Ronaiah Tuiasosopo instead! (Tip for Beyonce: Trademark “Beyonceing:” the act of lying to America at a presidential inauguration, thereby destroying the country and freedom the world over.)

Michael Phelps -- The former amateur swimming champion and current professional brah credits Ray Lewis with motivating him to keep swimming after the 2008 Olympics. Perhaps Lewis filled an entire pool for Phelps with his tears. Generous.

New Orleans -- New Orleans is the host of Super Bowl XLVII. The letter N also works for next year’s Super Bowl host: North Jersey. Both are great vacation spots.

Offense -- Baltimore’s offense was averaging 344.4 yards per game when John Harbaugh fired Cam Cameron. In their final three regular-season games, the Ravens averaged 406.2 yards, and in the playoffs they’ve put up 424.7. “It was a brilliant move," Cameron said of his firing this week to The New York Times. "Everyone on the team took a look in the mirror after that." He’s right. They looked in the mirror and never saw Cam Cameron anywhere in the background.

Parties -- Outside of determining an ELITE quarterback, the other point of modern Super Bowls is so athletes, fans and media members can party for a week. Of course, one can party too much and get into trouble. Or, even worse, one can attend a party in which Pitbull performs. The horror.

Questions -- In addition to media day, each team has its arrival press conference. And then there will also be the special Harbaugh-Harbaugh media session. So many opportunities to ask great questions like “How does this feel?” and “Are you excited?” and “Talk a little bit about how you feel and if you are excited.”

Ray Rice -- In all the hoopla surrounding the “Superbaugh” and Ray Lewis’ farewell tour, Ray Rice -- the man who has essentially been Baltimore’s entire offense for the last four years -- has been overlooked. He could change that by having a big game or announcing he is also retiring. The Ravens probably prefer the former.

Smith -- Alex Smith. He should trademark “Smithing,” the act of standing on the sidelines while your former backup starts in the Super Bowl over you.

Truths -- Moments after Super Bowl XLVII is over, an eternal truth will be declared and it will be one of the following:

-- if the 49ers win: MOBILE QUARTERBACKS ARE THE FUTURE OF THE NFL! R.I.P. POCKET PASSERS!

-- if the 49ers don’t win: MOBILE QUARTERBACKS SIMPLY CAN’T WIN A SUPER BOWL! TRADITIONAL POCKET PASSERS FOREVER!

-- if Kaepernick sustains an injury: MOBILE QUARTERBACKS ARE TOO INJURY-PRONE! I THOUGHT WE HAD DECIDED THAT QUARTERBACKS SHOULD NEVER LEAVE THE POCKET IN THE WILD-CARD ROUND WITH RG III!

So no pressure, Kaepernick. The future of the NFL, and/or one day’s sports media cycle, is hinging on you.

Underwear -- What undershirt will Ray Lewis have for us after this game? A Bible verse? A picture of Art Modell? A picture of Art Modell reading the Bible? A nation waits.

Vernon -- If 49ers tight end Vernon Davis gets a Super Bowl ring, that has to clinch his status as the greatest athlete named Vernon in history. Sorry, Vernon Maxwell.

Wacky -- Ha! Someone at media day is going to dress up in a funny outfit and ask questions! Good one. Be advised, however: Jim Harbaugh does not take kindly to gobble gobble turkey questions from jive turkey gobblers.

X’s -- The 49ers and Ravens reached the Super Bowl by beating teams with inferior defenses. So maybe defense still is a little bit of a thing in the NFL. Enjoy it. Super Bowl XLVII might be defense's last game. It better be a first-ballot Hall of Famer in five years.

Your family, friends, neighbors and co-workers -- Hosting a Super Bowl party brings together a strange mixture of people. Only at a Super Bowl party can you overhear your aunt talking about blitz packages and Beyonce’s outfit with your boss. Better buy more beer.

ZZZZZZ -- College football has its obvious strengths, but the BCS title game tends to be a snoozer. Meanwhile, the last nine Super Bowls have been decided by an average margin of less than seven points. So even if the 49ers or Ravens take a big early lead, don’t give up on the game or turn it off. Remember: No game is ever over in the modern NFL. Consider every game to be a Falcons game.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Don't you mean "The Big Game"? We don't want this website to get shutdown.

N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Quote:

Stanford doesn't play Cal until next fall. A little early to discuss it.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
In protest and disgust I didn't watch the last Superbowl that the Rats played. Since that time I've avoided all highlights or replays from that game. I can honestly say I've never seen a single play. Plausible denial. To me it never occurred. It's in the record books, I recognize that, but I can draw no memory from it. It stains me not.
Some of my youthful rage towards the Rats has wained but I'm struggling with the thought if watching this Super Bowl this time around. The thought of them hoisting the Lombardi for a second time makes me physically ill. I just don't know if I can stomach seeing it firsthand.
So do I fill my day with something I know I'll enjoy? Or do I take the chance that I'll end my weekend angry?
To fish or not to fish? That is the question for me.

[Linked Image]
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
i watched that game all ready to root for the Giants and had to walk out of the party early

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Ravens will win, so I don't recommend watching

Legend
Legend
Quote:

so sad but that was my first thought as well...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I don't like Jim Harbaugh. I think he's a good coach, but he comes across as too much of a whiner.

I don't like Kaepernick. Pretty much anyone who kisses their biceps is a douchebag in my book (except for people who do it making fun of the people who do it seriously, who in that case are rad).

Even though he's a local guy, Donte Whitner drives me crazy. Seems like such a dirty player and a ridiculous trash talker.

I don't like Ray Lewis. Guy's one of the best to play the position, but Lord I'm tired of him.

I don't like Terrell Suggs. Guys's a good player, but I swear his head is the size of a boogie board.

I don't like the Rats, for obvious reasons.

I think I'm just going to root for the defense. I'm really going to root for Ray Lewis and Kaepernick to meet head on and both get knocked out of the game in the first minute.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
F
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
F
Quote:

I don't like Jim Harbaugh. I think he's a good coach, but he comes across as too much of a whiner.

I don't like Kaepernick. Pretty much anyone who kisses their biceps is a douchebag in my book (except for people who do it making fun of the people who do it seriously, who in that case are rad).

Even though he's a local guy, Donte Whitner drives me crazy. Seems like such a dirty player and a ridiculous trash talker.

I don't like Ray Lewis. Guy's one of the best to play the position, but Lord I'm tired of him.

I don't like Terrell Suggs. Guys's a good player, but I swear his head is the size of a boogie board.

I don't like the Rats, for obvious reasons.

I think I'm just going to root for the defense. I'm really going to root for Ray Lewis and Kaepernick to meet head on and both get knocked out of the game in the first minute.

Seriously, you people are getting a bit soft and sensitive with some of this hoopla crap. I agree on all parts involving the Ratbirds, but really, the stuff about Kaepernick and his biceps and Jim Harbaugh's arrogance? A bit too overblown by some of you. I'd wish Jim would tone it down myself, but I won't lose sleep if he doesn't. And you may not like Kaepernick for his trademarking ordeal, but I like watching him play. That's all that matters to me.

I have a horse here and it's the SF 49ers. If you have to root for somebody in SB 47, root for them.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Not the game I was hoping for when I got tickets a month ago. But I'll take it. Nothing like watching the Rats lose first hand! lol. I'll be there in all my Browns glory. Gonna send a picture to the new owners with all of us there, captioned "Hey Jimmy, we're at the Superbowl, just waiting on you!"

KeysDawg

The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. - Carl Sagan
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Not the game I was hoping for when I got tickets a month ago. But I'll take it. Nothing like watching the Rats lose first hand! lol. I'll be there in all my Browns glory. Gonna send a picture to the new owners with all of us there, captioned "Hey Jimmy, we're at the Superbowl, just waiting on you!"

Awesome!!!

and i now have something to cheer for besides commercials... I'll be cheering keys_bow-wow gets on TV!!!

<><

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

In protest and disgust I didn't watch the last Superbowl that the Rats played. Since that time I've avoided all highlights or replays from that game. I can honestly say I've never seen a single play. Plausible denial. To me it never occurred. It's in the record books, I recognize that, but I can draw no memory from it. It stains me not.
Some of my youthful rage towards the Rats has wained but I'm struggling with the thought if watching this Super Bowl this time around. The thought of them hoisting the Lombardi for a second time makes me physically ill. I just don't know if I can stomach seeing it firsthand.
So do I fill my day with something I know I'll enjoy? Or do I take the chance that I'll end my weekend angry?
To fish or not to fish? That is the question for me.

Tell us how you really feel

Actually in all seriousness, you sound exactly like my pops.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Like most SB games, I have more interest in the snacks being served

LET'S GO BROWNS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Linked Image]
[b]WOOF WOOF[b]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Like most SB games, I have more interest in the snacks being served

Lol me too

Legend
Legend
I only shut it off for the half-time show. How far removed from NFL football has that gig gotten? Hope it is a great game and R-birds get crushed.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Quote:

Hope it is a great game and R-birds get crushed.

that's redundant to me. a great game is the ratbirds getting crushed.

#gmstrong
F
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
F
The one thing about the Super Bowl that I have no patience for nor willingness to care for would the Halftime Show. It's of no value entertainment-wise and very, very overrated. A few years back when they addressed the Janet Jackson fiasco, the NFL said that they would tone down the Halftime Show and make it more family friendly...

...If that's the case then what justifies putting out people like Madonna and Beyonce (this year) to perform when you know that they're capable of slipping in songs that aren't family friendly? Give me a break about this hypocrisy, NFL. It's still about the money with this. You clearly didn't need garbage like this back in the early Super Bowl days when all you needed was marching bands and orchestras, music that's fitting for the ears...

Just something that the NFL needs to consider.

Last edited by Fox&Hound7; 01/27/13 09:02 PM.
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
pretty sure the NFL approves all songs sung by the artists.

and while Beyonce is not my style of music, I would be willing to bet that far more people tune in for her performance than would a marching band.

yes, it's about the money and keeping the youngsters and females tuned in. not sure it's worth getting upset over.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Show me the money.............that's the sad thing.

Like I said somewhere else - we're having somewhere between 16 and 25 people over for the super bowl. We'll eat, and we'll all look forward to.......not the game.......the commercials. And the commercials will be amusing, but they won't make me, or any of the adults here, go out and buy a product.

Halftime show? What a joke. Apparently the glitz and glamor bring in viewers? We may very well turn the channel during half time to Discovery, or History.........these "musicians" that lip sync everything, and the "dance" crap they do...........who cares?

F
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
F
Quote:

pretty sure the NFL approves all songs sung by the artists.

and while Beyonce is not my style of music, I would be willing to bet that far more people tune in for her performance than would a marching band.

yes, it's about the money and keeping the youngsters and females tuned in. not sure it's worth getting upset over.

And that's the problem I have with the NFL for allowing stuff like this. They say "family friendly" and then they turn around and allow people who fit the mold of a Madonna or a Beyonce to go out on stage and do God knows what, singing PG-13 or even slipping in R songs. Of course the NFL will approve of the songs for certain reasons. It's a mystery until you see the performance. That's the NFL contradicting their initial message and they should know better, but no. It's all about the money in the end.

I'm not even upset about this since I haven't cared to watch the Halftime Show in years, but I feel like pointing this out to people in case something similar to the Janet Jackson fiasco ever happens again.

Legend
Legend
You forgot to tell them to get off your lawn..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Quote:

You forgot to tell them to get off your lawn..

exactly what I was thinking.

let's not forget that it's on a 5second delay and there are people there ready to hit the dump button if necessary (or that Beyonce is barely a PG-13 let alone R persona as it is).

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I only shut it off for the half-time show. How far removed from NFL football has that gig gotten?

How true. Now I would watch the Ohio State Marching Band. The show they did during the Nebraska game was incredible !!!!

The marching bands work their butts off. And for them to get a little spotlight during a half time show in the SB has got to be such an honor and reward for the effort they put in..

Legend
Legend
I want it to happen twice!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
We were at the stadium for a Cleveland game a few years ago and they rocked the lake! They played on the lawn before the game and fans went wild. Then they gave us script OHIO and we did Hang on Sloopy together. Whole house on its feet. THAT was worth the price of admission.

S
Legend
Legend
S
I'm glad I'm not doing a SB party this year. We did one last year, and it was great and everything, but I have a feeling I'm going to want to shut this off near the end.

I think the Ravens win, and I think it becomes a giant Ray Lewis lovefest (if it hasn't already) and I guarantee there is at least one shot taken at Cleveland during this game.

The thing with our SB parties, is out here, I'm the only Browns fan of my friend, they don't understand what I feel, so they obviously wouldn't want the game off. But I will literally be on my own Sunday, and that's perfectly fine with me. I'll flip on a dvd or some playstation.

I thought I was over it, but I'm not. I hate that team, I hate their players, I hate their stupid logo, and I most especially hate their hypocritical media and fanbase. Go to hell.

Not to take shots, but didn't our resident Raven fan claim he was jumping ship on that team some years ago?

Sorry, I just can't take it.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I better see at least one guy in the stands wearing deer antlers.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

I better see at least one guy in the stands wearing deer antlers.

Or better yet, a sign along the lines of "Hey, Lewis. You hid your suit, but not the antlers".

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Ever since the Janet Jackson thing... all the performances have been from people/groups who really shouldn't be performing anymore...

Maybe except for McCartney, Prince, and Springsteen... whose shows were actually watchable..

The Stones looked like they're melting by just standing. And Madonna needed help doing a cartwheel and very likely could have broken her hip without it.

Beyonce is not my type of music... but at least they're not trotting out performers who lack the energy for a stadium performance.

I just wish they'd have a newer rock band play for once... or hell... just get Metallica to play. I mean seriously.

S
Legend
Legend
S
I thought Prince was really good, the sound setup wasn't great but that wasn't his fault.

Legend
Legend
I'm not a Prince fan, but that halftime show was really good. I also really liked The Who, but I'm a diehard Who fan. (I have a bass autographed by John Entwistle). Madonna and the Black Eyed Peas were just plain awful, and I'm afraid Beyonce will be the same.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
M
All Pro
All Pro
M
Quote:

I'm glad I'm not doing a SB party this year. We did one last year, and it was great and everything, but I have a feeling I'm going to want to shut this off near the end.

I think the Ravens win, and I think it becomes a giant Ray Lewis lovefest (if it hasn't already) and I guarantee there is at least one shot taken at Cleveland during this game.

The thing with our SB parties, is out here, I'm the only Browns fan of my friend, they don't understand what I feel, so they obviously wouldn't want the game off. But I will literally be on my own Sunday, and that's perfectly fine with me. I'll flip on a dvd or some playstation.

I thought I was over it, but I'm not. I hate that team, I hate their players, I hate their stupid logo, and I most especially hate their hypocritical media and fanbase. Go to hell.

Not to take shots, but didn't our resident Raven fan claim he was jumping ship on that team some years ago?

Are you reading my mind? I had some friends over for the AFC Championship who were rooting for the Ravens because they're sick of the Patriots. I tried to politely tell them how sore a spot the Ravens are for me, but I don't know if it's a thing I can do politely. So I decided not to have a Superbowl Party for the first time in 10+ years because if any of my friends were rooting for the Ravens, they would have to stop being my friends and they wouldn't get why.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"One man's Bum is another man's Hobo" - Waterdawg
Legend
Legend
Yup, I bet the 49ers control most of the game but never manage to put Baltimore away. Ravens come back in the 4th quarter and win because of some lucky bounces. Post game tribute to Art Modell and Ray Lewis gets his MVP trophy.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Yup, I bet the 49ers control most of the game but never manage to put Baltimore away. Ravens come back in the 4th quarter and win because of some lucky bounces. Post game tribute to Art Modell and Ray Lewis gets his MVP trophy.

If that all happens, I may be projectile vomiting for days.

Unfortunately, I'm probably going to be sick ..... because I can really see that happening.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

If that all happens, I may be projectile vomiting for days.

Unfortunately, I'm probably going to be sick ..... because I can really see that happening.

I knew this was coming when I heard Ray was retiring. It's why I picked them in every single game. There is no way that he or the NFL would let the Ravens lose.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't know about all of that, but in the end I will be rooting for the Ravens. I have to pull for a AFC North team in the Superbowl unless it is against a select few NFC teams that I follow to some degree....the Falcons and Bucs....and I have always liked the Bears, so I'd pull for them as well.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I'll be rooting for whatever numbers I draw in the money pool. I haven't been this disinterested in the SB teams in a long time.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Do you not root for Carolina or New Orleans? Just wondering because they're both southern teams.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Do you not root for Carolina or New Orleans? Just wondering because they're both southern teams.

No. It really has nothing with Southern teams. I root for the Falcons since they are maybe 110 miles away and for years was the local team....now the Titans have had a impact on that, so I root for them as well. Just a local thing. Those who live in non NFL cities and are far removed from their team, and don't simply hate the nearest team probably get where I am coming from.

The Bucs are a team I follow since members of my family held season tickets for years and I went to many of their games.

Understand that when I say root for, it is a casual thing. More like join the bandwagon when they are doing well. Even then it isn't like I go out of my way or stop everything to watch them or catch the latest news like I do with the Browns.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

Are you reading my mind? I had some friends over for the AFC Championship who were rooting for the Ravens because they're sick of the Patriots. I tried to politely tell them how sore a spot the Ravens are for me, but I don't know if it's a thing I can do politely. So I decided not to have a Superbowl Party for the first time in 10+ years because if any of my friends were rooting for the Ravens, they would have to stop being my friends and they wouldn't get why.

Being sick of the Patriots is understandable. Me? I have no problem with the Patriots. I love what they stand for, What Robert Kraft and his late wife wanted out of their football team and organization. No scumbags, no women-beaters, no people going in and out of jail. I've always had a ton of respect for an organization that stands by their values. I know they aren't perfect but considering how some of the players in the NFL conduct themselves, I'd say they're doing damn well.

It's just that this year has definitely struck a chord with me. Modell passing away just before the season was going to start, the Cleveland '95 doc, the possibility of Art Modell going into the PF Hall of Fame, and the Ravens in the Super Bowl.

I'm tired of hearing Baltimore media telling us what we're supposed to feel. I've also grown tired of hearing them revise history.

When the Ravens played in the Super Bowl last time, I didn't watch. Wasn't a big deal because I didn't watch the Super Bowl when the Browns were gone, and I didn't watch the first year the Browns came back (I didn't care for the NFL, I was still pretty angry that the league just let him waltz that team out of town)

I think the first Super Bowl that I really got back into was the Patriots/Rams one. I was bitter for a pretty long time. I was not one of these fans that was just immediately back into the NFL when the Browns came back. It took me some time. I still paid attention to the Browns, but I just didn't care for the rest of the league.

So shutting off the game early on Sunday won't bother me one bit. Screw them.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2012 NFL Season NFL Post Season 2012 The Superbowl Thread

Link Copied to Clipboard