Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I have a few:

--Will the pass blocking continue it's dominance?

--Will the run blocking improve?

--Will Richardson and Vernon play and how will that effect the DL?

--Will we see some chemistry between Bake and OBJ/Landry?

--Can the D prevent the big play?

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Kicker needs to separate themself. Question...does anybody know who the holder was when Joseph missed in the 'Skins game?

Kush.

The continued emergence of Mack Wilson and more consistent play by Greedy.

Stanton playing better and Gilbert continuing to ascend.

Our man, Sheehy-Guiseppe having another crack at it and making strides as a returner (another score, good returns to flip the field etc.).

Willies/Strong stepping up and proving why they should be kept.

Pharoah Brown/Harrison competition.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
How many series do you think the starters get?

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quarter and a half.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown

2 possessions

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
- Can Gilbert play well enough to move up to #2 by the end of preseason?

- Can Joseph make all his XPs?

- Will we unleash the Scottish Hammer in some bizarre play call to advertise him to other teams?

- Will the refs call the Garrett holds fairly?

- How will our 1st team secondary play (likewise our backup Safeties)?

- If not still dinged up, can Pharaoh rebound? Do we really need this new cat?

- Will Corbett play the whole game again?

- Will the KR/PR become more clear?

- etc....

Legend
Legend
I’d switch it up and have the first team O try to run a traditional 1-2 drives and have success

I also want to see Kush play well and end the RG drama ... along with a kicker

Also, let’s keep seeing how the backup skill guys do under more pressure

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
I'd expect a pretty vanilla game as the two teams are practicing against each other earlier in the week.

With that said, I would like to see Garrett Gilbert play well so he possibly become the clear QB2.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
You can't focus on things if the teams are playing vanilla?

Is my thread title really confusing? LOL

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan
Kicker needs to separate themself. Question...does anybody know who the holder was when Joseph missed in the 'Skins game?

I noticed that question today so I watched for it, when viewing the second half of the game this afternoon.

I couldn't tell who it was.

When they switched to the end zone camera for the PA, you couldn't see the jersey #, and they didn't show a replay from ground level.

All I know is Joseph is shanking himself right outta Cleveland.

Things I'll look for against colts, aside from the kickers:

Can Mack put together two straight games?

Will Gilbert improve? I'd like to see us have a backup for the future (or if he looks really good, someday he might be a trading chip).

That RB who came in and played some of the second half - Travon or something - I thought he made a nice couple of runs. Will we have a back that could push Hilliard?

No injuries.

The RG situation, especially since it's looking like Kush is in the driver's seat.

One thing I looked for today watching the replay was special teams. Even aside from the punt return from Guiseppe, I thought our kick coverage was at least solid, or, if nothing else, not noticeably inept.

Last edited by lampdogg; 08/11/19 07:51 PM.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan

I noticed that question today so I watched for it, when viewing the second half of the game this afternoon.

I couldn't tell who it was.

When they switched to the end zone camera for the PA, you couldn't see the jersey #, and they didn't show a replay from ground level.

I imagine it is either Colquitt or the Hammer. Should be able to tell by the hair.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
I never thought to look out for the hairstyle.

gmstrong

-----------------

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I'd expect a pretty vanilla game as the two teams are practicing against each other earlier in the week.

With that said, I would like to see Garrett Gilbert play well so he possibly become the clear QB2.

In preseason game #1 With evey Garret Gilbert pass I saw, almost exclusively, I thought, if that were the regular season that would have been intercepted:
if that were the regular season that one would have been intercepted:

if that one was in the regular season that would have been interceptd.

I don't like or want to watch the preseason, but I think they are fooling themselves if they think they have a clear number 2.

I think they are better off signing someone off the street like they had to once in Hue's first year iirc.

If all the worst days of Qb play from a Browns memory look like clear upgrades, \
A bad day for Kiser, a Bad day for DA, any day of Charlie Frye, if those look like clear upgrades to what you have at #2 QB, then you don't have anything at #2 Qb, and you'll have to live with that.

#2, and #4 preseason games are pretty unwatchable, well pretty much all of them are.

With all the offseason hype, I'm gettin a Real Bad Feeling about the win loss record, so at least they aren't losing Games yet.

what do they need,
They need to run the ball with toughness, toughness from the Tight Ends and O-line,
Stop acting like ODBJ is the gigantic upgrade, may be, but it only helps out so much

They don't have Crowell, Don't have Hyde, Don't have Duke, Don't have Hunt for 8 weeks, They have Chubb, and Hilliard ??

The Ravens won the division, still have an offense you didn't stop, Their young qb, though not as good as yours, still has potential young qb magic,
They have toughness in their tight ends and runningbacks, and single players, here and there on defense that can make big plays, and a young phenom at Wr to add to what they had,

Would anyone disagree with me if I said the team that runs the ball most effectively will be out in front early in the AFC North Standings?

The Steelers have Washington on the other side of Schuster, they still have Ben, still have a gameplan the Browns haven't beat in who knows how long,

The Bengals still have Mixon, and everybody except their coach still has experience,

The Browns don't have Perriman, No longer have Peppers, Now Callaways' out 4 weeks, they don't have Zeitler, don't have that experienced ex-Patriot linebacker,

Baker is the real deal, magical, but it only means so much, the NFl is full of great QB's, Greedy might be great, and they have Carrie and Mitchell coming back,

Who knows if Ward can play much at all with concussion concerns, We don't know how Whitehead and Pipkins are going to work out alongside of Randall,

I wish I felt the Browns had Tough, dominating guys at linebacker(tight end) and the O-line,
Not finesse, lightweight O-linemen,

When the team goes 7-9, playing well, with all this offeseason hype, Are the owners going to overreact:
How long are they going to keep this team together,

How long CAN they keep this team together:

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe they'll win the Super Bowl this year because Baker is more unbelievable than I thought,
Maybe Chubb is better than I thought,

Maybe Hunt (And OBJ) "will" be someone they can count on, not someone who underperforms for a year until they figure out how their game translates to Clevelands' games.

I always have a sense that you Can't count on any veteran free agent or Big hyped name that comes to the Browns for the entire first year, until they show they actually want to play and had a full year to adjust to what the Browns do on gameday,

Because it just seems to have happened that way so many times.

Focus agains the Colts, Or anybody? simple

Pass Protection, 1. 2. Toughness in the tight ends and O-linemen, finding out a way to show you can run outside as well as run inside,

that you can mix up the looks of what your running plays are going to look like, so as to create mismatches of open space.

The defense needs to play solid and look like they know what they are doing out there, and remember this game doesn't matter.

Maybe have the coach bring everybody together and say, this game is about feeling out what the other team is trying to do, individual matchups and playing solid,

Let the other team win, but learn more doing so.

Preseason should just be done away with, seems it was better 25 years ago, when maybe only 1 of the games were televised, if any.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I have a few:

--Will the pass blocking continue it's dominance?

--Will the run blocking improve?

--Will Richardson and Vernon play and how will that effect the DL?

--Will we see some chemistry between Bake and OBJ/Landry?

--Can the D prevent the big play?

You know, those are pretty spot on, and on one hand I want to see Baker and OBJ / Landry get chemistry, on the other hand, you know, The game doesn't count.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Quote:
The game doesn't count.

Thanks dawg, I wasn't aware of that.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:
That RB who came in and played some of the second half - Travon or something - I thought he made a nice couple of runs. Will we have a back that could push Hilliard?

There are a "bunch of" Backs that could push Hilliard, including anyone the Browns had in as camp fodder for the last 10 years,

Hilliard looked (not good) out there! Like a (not good thing)!

There has to be Somebody, out there they could bring in and not pass off this (not good play) as anything to count on when the games count!

(I'm not a fan of his)

It's not that he's bad, it's that folks were trying to say he's good when the subject of tradind Duke came up... That is what is upsetting.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Ya well when the Injuries hit we're going to find out how bad it is that they are even playing these games.

Legend
Legend
J/C

I’m going to hope for some TE production as well this game. It’s an area of concern for me; with Devalve’s constant injuries we don’t have much depth

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
JMHO, glad the joint practices are NOT in pads....hate to see three days of banging MAN checks with pads on in meaningless time....except for those trying to make the team.

Want Hammer to get a shot at kicking, want our TD returner to get more action as WR and returner...kickoff returns also...give guy shot at making team.

Love to see clarity at RG.

Mostly I want no injuries to starters....GO Browns!!!!

PS Love to see Calloway and Sheehy-G run in pads against each other...to see who's fastest...we know who is most reliable.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Legend
Legend
J/c

I’m not sure how much more we’ll see of Callaway given that he’s injured. Add the injury to the suspension ... and he legit could gain weight and have a wasted season

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am mostly interested in seeing:

- The running game, outside of Chubb

- The kicking game

- The run D

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Colts fans are in agony on his calf ... he’s had some lingering injuries

Legend
Legend
-- Will the team continue to look as good as it did against Washington?

--Will Mack Wilson continue to flash, or was he just a flash in the pan?

--Will Richardson and Vernon play? Seconding this because it needs to be said.

--Will we see OBJ/Landry on the field?

--Will our LBers hold up against an better passing team?

I'm less interested in final scores than I am in seeing how we play and how we do in different situations.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
I’m interested to see our starting DL/Front 7 as well. Richardson and Vernon will make us even scarier

E
Legend
Legend
E
Colts are a much more talented team than the Redskins:

I too am looking forward to our starting DL playing together. Will we dominate against a pretty good OL by the Colts?

Will we force errors from the likes of a GREAT QB as in Luck.

Can some rookies up their game with continued growth???

Wilson and Taki at LB - I think Wilson is definitely making a charge at becoming our NICKEL LB.

Taki will be back up to Schobert but at least we now will have one.

Who will be our SAM wouldn't mind seeing Wilson beat out whoever we got there now. Taylor or Avery???

I too think Gilbert far and away is the best QB to Win games if we need the back up to do so! I don't have any faith in Stanton as the back up and if that means cutting him then so be it. Brough looked good I would like to keep him as well.

I would like to see our Safety position get solidified.
I say bag Murphy and Burnett the vets brought in for SS and go with the youth. Redwine the rookie and Harris the 1 year player I have higher hopes then just some Vets with less talent!

OL I think is settled but I would like to see one time with Corbett as the RG starter and see how that goes. He possibly could be a better run blocker than Kush.

I would like to see Seibert kick more I don't think we saw much except an extra point???

Will Landry and OBJ start...will that have Njoku wide open over the middle???

Will Baker continue to get the ball off quickly and to the correct read? That is what will keep him clean more than anything they throw at us.

I am looking forward to see how we pick up the blitz.

Hunt can play in preseason right? Want to see him against the blitz!

Got to continue to love Chubb...lol laugh

Will we finally see Devalve? is he done with his concussion??? The kid better get his ass in gear or he will be gone.

Curious on the new guy Gathers...6'8" will ask my son about him. He definitely was underused in Dallas they had two rookies ahead of him last year.

Blocking was probably an issue for him.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Maybe a quarter

Legend
Legend
I admit to being rather interested in how Sheehy does in the return game.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Yeah, I think he’ll get a crack at both KR and PR now

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My God man....What a depressing and cynical post.

Get back off the ledge.

It's all going to be just fine.

Legend
Legend
His focus against the Colts is a breakdown of the entire AFCN... focusing on every other teams strength as if it's a given and every one of the Browns potential weaknesses as if it's a given...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
I want to see Blough some more with some better folks around him this time. He seemed locked in OK.
Want to see some run blocking and no fumbles, especially in the red zone.
Wilson and Taki seem solid. Safety play.
I would say DeValve, but I have pretty much written him off as a cut for injury.

Show me the Pharaoh is for real or not. And more Sheehy to go. Kid lit me up with the runback.
Hope our DL can give Luck and others fits!
To review, in the NFL, two wins is called a "streak" and is considered good.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
I want to see Blough some more with some better folks around him this time.

Show me the Pharaoh is for real or not. .

Agreed.

Legend
Legend
Pharaoh is a guy to keep an eye on, especially with our shifting of TEs

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
The OL and run game.

D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
I'm pretty sure Luck will not be playing, alone with a Q Nelson is a little banged up.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Focus

The run game, the outside run game, Blocking in the run game

running from multiple sets,

Toughness from the offensive line and Tight Ends/fullback blocking,

Let the Colts win.

Finaly, don't watch, because it's time to end the preseason

"exhibition?" I was thinking today, what exhibit has Witzman, (no offense to him), I get to watch Witzman play 70% of the game,

LOOK, it's been maybe 25 years since prolly anyone can remember somebody actually gaining a spot because of the pre season,
Time to end it.
AT least it isn't the regular season yet, so the Browns aren't losing games, waking everyone up from the hype.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Get back off the ledge.

It's all going to be just fine.

rolleyes

Said, like anyone knows.

Legend
Legend
Isaiah Crowell made the team because of his big game in the final preseason game of the 2014 season.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Crowell, after wiping his rear end with the ball and throwing it into the stands in Week 3 (how'd that game end for ya, Cro?) joined the names on my list.

gmstrong

-----------------

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 21 Colts 18 Your Focus Against the Colts

Link Copied to Clipboard