Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1649798 08/14/19 04:50 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Browns is the Browns

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Browns is the Browns

C
Legend
Legend
C
Joint practice -- Antonio Callaway is probably the best on the team.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Took me awhile.... I get it wink

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
brownie

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Good news about the WRs and Hunt

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
L
Legend
Legend
L
Not gonna lie, OBJ being hurt all camp doesn’t give me a warm fuzzy

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
Not gonna lie, OBJ being hurt all camp doesn’t give me a warm fuzzy

Different breed of a WR... don't sweat it.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Can confirm it's a hip injury (but not a hip pointer) that's been keeping #Browns WR Odell Beckham Jr. out of team drills

@ByNateUlrich

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
ANALYSISTraining camp log, Day 15by Scott Petrak August 14, 2019

SUPPLY AND DEMAND: As Browns general manager John Dorsey watched his defense practice, he couldn’t help but notice the tight ends of the Colts.

They have a lot of them, and they’re an impressive bunch physically. Behind starters Eric Ebron and Jack Doyle are Ross Travis, Mo Alie-Cox, Gabe Holmes and Hale Hentges, who’s the shortest at 6-foot-4. As a group, they had a good day against Cleveland’s linebackers and safeties.

The Browns have question marks at tight end behind David Njoku and Demetrius Harris, and Dorsey could target one of the Colts backups in a low-level trade or on the waiver wire after cuts.

NEWS OF THE DAY: The joint practices with the Colts featured a lot of energy and competition, but the team drills were missing a handful of big names. Browns receiver Odell Beckham Jr. and cornerback Denzel Ward were limited to individual drills, while Colts quarterback Andrew Luck (ankle), left guard Quenton Nelson (ankle) and kicker Adam Vinatieri (knee) didn’t dress.

ADVERTISEMENT

CAMPER OF THE DAY: Second-year defensive end Genard Avery is back from an ankle injury, and back making plays. He had a sack from left end as he blew past the right tackle, batted a pass at the line that went flying over the quarterback’s head and worked in with the first-team line.

PLAY OF THE DAY: Receiver Rashard Higgins ran an out route and caught the pass from backup quarterback Drew Stanton along the sideline before falling out of bounds.

QUOTE OF THE DAY: “I did not expect anything different from them. We travel well. They are excited. They are passionate. They are the most passionate fans in the NFL, and I expected them to be there.” — Coach Freddie Kitchens, on the large number of Browns fans in attendance, many of whom chanted his name as he walked off the field.

WEDNESDAY’S SCHEDULE: 4-6 p.m. against the Colts in Westfield, Ind.

https://www.brownszone.com/2019/08/14/training-camp-log-day-15/

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
https://923thefan.radio.com/articles/odell-beckham-jr-limited-hip-injury
Browns Camp Notes: Odell Beckham Jr. limited with a hip injury

Backup RB Dontrell Hilliard suffers injury to left leg Wednesday

DARYL RUITER
AUGUST 14, 2019 - 9:36 PM

© Ken Blaze-USA TODAY Sports

CATEGORIES: Browns Training Camp NFL Browns
Cleveland, Ohio (92.3 The Fan) – We are not on site in Westfield, Indiana where the Browns are holding joint practices with the Indianapolis Colts, but here are some notes taken from audio and quotes provided by the Browns as well as reports from the many reporters who did make the trip.

Beckham banged up – Odell Beckham Jr. was limited Wednesday and did not participate in team drills according to multiple reports.

“He has a little bit of something going on that we expect him back pretty soon,” head coach Freddie Kitchens told reporters.

That something is a hip injury according to multiple reports, but it doesn’t seem like many with the team are worried, including quarterback Baker Mayfield.

“Obviously, he is going to be ready to go when it is time to play,” Mayfield said. “Him sitting out and doing some of the things mentally is him getting used to the offense, seeing things and hearing us communicate it and so when he comes out there, he can be full speed and know exactly what to do. It is great for those other guys to get out there and get a chance to see a change of pace. The more guys who are ready to play with the first group, the better.”

Kitchens was noncommittal when asked if Beckham will play Saturday afternoon against the Colts.

“We have not decided yet,” Kitchens said. “He probably could play, though.”

Hilliard hurt – Dontrell Hilliard is expected to assume the role vacated by Duke Johnson Jr. following the trade to the Texans as the No. 2 back, and possibly returner too, but Hilliard is now hobbled.

Hilliard apparently suffered an injury Wednesday that resulted in his left thigh being wrapped according to reports from the multitude of outlets on hand to cover the practices.

Ward also limited – Cornerback Denzel Ward was also limited Wednesday to individual drills according to multiple reports but, again, the injury doesn’t appear to be serious.

“I expect him to be back,” Kitchens said.

Defending themselves – A minor scuffle, as is custom when it comes to joint practices between NFL teams, broke out Wednesday between Browns safety Tigie Sankoh and Colts running back D’Onta Foreman according to Scott Petrak of the Elyria Chronicle-Telegram.

According to Petrak a “couple punches thrown that didn’t appear to land. Freddie Kitchens on the other field with offense, so no sprints.”

Kitchens was asked after practice by reporters about the dust up.

“I will see what happened,” Kitchens said. “I just know that we are not going to take nothing from anybody. At some point, you have to stand up for yourself. If it is a penalty then it is a penalty, but sometimes… I don’t know. I don’t know what happened.”

Although Kitchens is OK with his players defending themselves, he’s not looking for a bunch of fights to break out either.

“We are not going to get penalties against our own team when we are in Berea. We are not going to come in here and take anything either now,” Kitchens said. “There better not be a lot of fights, but we are going to line up and run here. They know that, and they have been told that. That is why they pay me to be the head coach. I will determine at that time.”

On the table – Although Eric Kush practiced most of the day with the first-team offense, Kitchens shuffled the first team line late in practice prompting questions about the change to Kitchens and a humorous response from the coach.

“There is a chance for everything,” Kitchens said. “We could put Greg Robinson in at guard. I am just going to get all sorts or rumors going now. We could move Corbett to tackle. We could get No. 43 and put him at guard. If we ever get his pads down, we may do it.”

Injury report – According to Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal WR Damion Ratley, CB Tavierre Thomas, CB TJ Carrie, LB Sione Takitaki, DE Jarrell Owens, TE David Njoku and DE Chad Thomas did not practice Wednesday. OL Kyle Kalis, TE Seth DeValve and DT Brian Price, who are in concussion protocol, did not make the trip.

Up next – Joint practice with the Colts Thursday afternoon.

#gmstrong
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
Backup RB Dontrell Hilliard suffers injury to left leg Wednesday

Hilliard apparently suffered an injury Wednesday that resulted in his left thigh being wrapped according to reports from the multitude of outlets on hand to cover the practices.

I don't like to hear this.

Maybe Sheehy-Guiseppe gets another chance at returning, and D'Ernest gets to audition a bit more for this team or another.

Legend
Legend
Browns notebook: Hip injury limiting Odell Beckham Jr., team source says

By Nate Ulrich
Posted Aug 14, 2019 at 10:09 PM

Cleveland Browns wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. (13) runs a drill during practice at the NFL team's football training camp in Wednesday, Aug. 14, 2019, in Westfield, Ind. (AP Photo/Darron Cummings)▲
WESTFIELD, INDIANA — When the Browns lined up Wednesday against the Indianapolis Colts, superstar wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. simply watched the action.

Beckham went through individual drills during the joint practice at Grand Park Sports Campus, but he sat out all one-on-one, seven-on-seven and 11-on-11 periods. He hasn't participated in a team drill during a padded training camp practice since Aug. 6.

A Browns source said Beckham is dealing with a hip injury, but it's not a hip pointer, which ESPN reported as the specific issue.

"He's got a little bit of something going on, but we expect him back pretty soon," Browns coach Freddie Kitchens said after the 15th session of camp and the first of two joint practices with the Colts.

Will Beckham play Saturday when the Browns face the Colts in preseason game No. 2 at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis?

"We haven't decided yet," Kitchens replied. "He probably could play, though."

Despite the lost opportunities to develop chemistry, Kitchens said he remains confident Beckham and quarterback Baker Mayfield can get on the same page. Mayfield echoed his coach's sentiment.

"Obviously, he's going to be ready to go when it's time to play," Mayfield said of Beckham, whom the Browns acquired in March via a trade with the New York Giants. "Him sitting out and doing some of these things mentally is him getting used to the offense and seeing different things and hearing us communicating it. So when he comes out there, he can be full speed and know exactly what to do."

Kitchens added Beckham "is ready to go mentally. We've got to wait and get him ready to go physically, but he'll be there."

The more repetitions a receiver and quarterback get together, the better. Rashard Higgins still has a stronger connection with Mayfield than any other Browns receiver largely because they practiced so much together last summer.

"Higgins and I, that came because he was my guy on that second-team offense last year and throughout all those reps in the offseason," Mayfield said. "So [my connection with Beckham], it'll come with time. Just like Jarvis [Landry] and I [were able to ensure our] chemistry grew as well."

Culture shock?

Mayfield said he agreed with Kitchens' stance that the physical camp he has run this summer is a "culture shock" some Browns players. The team has worn pads in 12 of the 13 sessions it has been allowed to don them.

"I think part of the culture change is beating some of that out, being a tougher team, being that mentality of coming out and realizing that we're going to be the tougher people every day and work for it," Mayfield said. "So I think it's caught some people off guard a little bit. But me being around Freddie last year, not so much."

Mayfield said he doesn't know of any players complaining about the physical nature of Camp Kitchens.

"We've got guys that are bought in right now," Mayfield said, "and that's the best part about it."

Presence felt

Running back Kareem Hunt reminded the Colts he's an elite playmaker. He broke loose for impressive runs on back-to-back plays in an 11-on-11 drill and later showed dynamic burst after using one hand to catch a screen pass from Mayfield.

A groin injury prevented Hunt from participating in team drills until Monday.

"I thought he looked good for not taking any [team] reps [until this week]," Kitchens said. "He broke out on a few, embraced his speed and all those things you see on tape. He has been good in the pass protection. He's right where we want him to be."

The Browns hope Hunt can do everything he needs to do off the field to return from his eight-game suspension for physical altercations last year with a woman in downtown Cleveland and a man in Put-in-Bay. If Hunt can stay out of trouble, he'll be back in action Nov. 10 against the Buffalo Bills.

"It's great to have Kareem out there, the special talent that he is, and to get out there with us because he's going to have a long wait until he plays," Mayfield said.

Starting running back Nick Chubb broke off several long runs against the Colts, too. And in a seven-on-seven drill, Mayfield floated a pass over All-Pro linebacker Darius Leonard and into the hands of Chubb.

Waiting game

Hunt isn't the only Browns player who'll begin the regular season by serving a suspension.

Last week, the NFL docked receiver Antonio Callaway four games for violating its substance-abuse policy. Callaway made the trip to Indiana but didn't practice because he suffered a high-ankle sprain in last week's preseason opener.

"Obviously, very disappointing," Mayfield said of Callaway's suspension. "But I think Callaway's made some changes, and we've seen the progress with him. Him being hurt right now hurts more right now because he could be getting reps. I think that hurts us a lot. It has given guys other opportunities to play. But I expect Callaway to come back better than ever."

Standout defender

Browns defensive end Genard Avery had a virtual sack against quarterback Phillip Walker and batted a pass thrown by quarterback Chad Kelly. It was the first dominant performance of camp by Avery, who missed time with an injured ankle.

"He's worked really extremely hard during the offseason," defensive tackle Larry Ogunjobi said. "I was with him a few times working on his pass-rushing abilities, stopping the run, just being a game changer. I'm really excited to see what he does."

The coaches have noticed, too.

"Genard has gotten better against the run and the pass," Kitchens said. "I expect him to be out there and contributing to the team, whatever we ask him to do. He can certainly get after the passer, and we like that."

Ogunjobi rushed up the middle for a virtual sack against quarterback Jacoby Brissett, who stepped up in the pocket because of pressure from defensive end Myles Garrett.

Extra points

• Cornerback Denzel Ward practiced but sat out team drills with an undisclosed injury. Kitchens said he doesn't think there's any doubt Ward will be fine.

• Landry is obviously on a pitch (or snap) count. He sat out one-on-one drills and early team drills before entering 11-on-11 action later in practice.

• Running back Dontrell Hilliard finished practice with an ice pack strapped to the back of his left leg.

https://www.ohio.com/sports/20190814/bro...impression=true

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Browns Camp Happenings (Day 15): Freddie flexible about fighting

Posted Aug 14, 2019 at 10:34 PM

Browns head coach Freddie Kitchens and Indianapolis Colts head coach Frank Reich talk during practice at the team's combined training camp Wednesday in Westfield, Ind. [Darron Cummings/The Associated Press]▲
BROWNS CAMP HAPPENINGS

Browns safety Tigie Sankoh engaged in skirmish with Indianapolis Colts running back D'Onta Foreman as the two teams held a joint practice Wednesday at Grand Park Sports Campus in Westfield, Indiana.

Coach Freddie Kitchens has told his players he would force them to run gassers as punishment for fighting, but he's willing to bend his rules sometimes.

"We'll see what caused it and what happened and then evaluate the situation," Kitchens said. "But we're not going to take anything from anybody. ... At some point, you've got to stand up for yourself."

Linebacker Christian Kirksey said he didn't think Kitchens would make the Browns run.

"We're not going to take anything from a player doing anything they're not supposed to do," Kirksey said.

• Wide receiver Rashard Higgins had one of the better plays of practice when he caught a pass from quarterback Baker Mayfield along the sideline with cornerback Kenny Moore II applying tight coverage. Higgins later caught a pass from backup quarterback Drew Stanton while falling out of bounds.

• Undrafted rookie receiver D.J. Montgomery made several plays. The highlight was his 4-yard touchdown catch from quarterback Garrett Gilbert in the back right corner of the end zone.

• Incumbent Greg Joseph and rookie fifth-round draft pick Austin Seibert each went 5-for-5 during a field-goal drill, making kicks from 33, 39, 43, 48 and 51 yards.

• For a few snaps late in practice, there was a shake-up on the first-team offensive line. Kendall Lamm replaced Chris Hubbard at right tackle, and rookie Drew Forbes replaced Eric Kush at right guard.

• Rookie linebacker Sione Takitaki (hamstring) and defensive end Chad Thomas (sprained neck) joined the list of injured players who sat out practice.

• The following players remained idle but worked out on the side with Takitaki and Thomas: cornerback TJ Carrie (hamstring), tight end David Njoku (knee), defensive end Jarrell Owens (groin), receiver Damion Ratley (hamstring) and cornerback Tavierre Thomas (hamstring).

• Tight end Seth DeValve, offensive lineman Kyle Kalis and defensive tackle Brian Price remain in concussion protocol and didn't make the trip to Indiana.

THURSDAY'S SCHEDULE: Joint practice with the Colts from 4-6 p.m.

— Nate Ulrich

https://www.ohio.com/sports/20190814/bro...impression=true

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
I think Seth is most likely done in Cleveland. I always liked him and hoped he'd do well.

Last edited by lampdogg; 08/14/19 10:56 PM.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
I think Seth is most likely done in Cleveland. I always liked him and hoped he'd do well.

Unfortunate.

For some reason, he always reminded me of Mark Campbell from the 2000 team.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
OBJ will be better by the start of the season.

Wink I’m hurt Wink....

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: AZBrown

Unfortunate.

Mark Campbell, there's a name...

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: AZBrown

Unfortunate.

Mark Campbell, there's a name...

For some perspective:

Mark Campbell in his three seasons with the Browns (he missed all of one season due to injury) (46 games):

46 receptions, 390 yards, and 4 TDs

Seth Devalve in his three seasons so far (41 games):

48 receptions, 596 yards, and 4 TDs.

Legend
Legend
J/c

It seems like barely a day goes by when we don’t hear about Higgins making great plays

E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...
Seth, man he's been out for a while with that concussion. I sort of remember it happening and if memories serves me well it was something unecessary???

Really like/d him and wish he could get better and make the team - it is he I wish to be our H-back (FB) as that guy will get wide open and I rather have a guy with 4.5 speed and 245 catching a swing from Baker full speed. Than a 4.8 FB with questionable hands!

Hunt getting the rust off. Strong, Willies and of course Higgins getting a lot of reps as the two Vets continue to sit out I think their injuries are of the kind that if we were in December via for a playoff they would be playing.

We are trying to get them both to 100% for our opener and also to have the least amount of film of the two out there with our O and Mayfield and give our Opponents a our version of Shock and Awe!

Can't wait for the season to start!!!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted By: eotab

We are trying to get them both to 100% for our opener and also to have the least amount of film of the two out there with our O and Mayfield and give our Opponents a our version of Shock and Awe!

I agree. It sounds both ominous and exciting.

Legend
Legend
Not sure what he needs to do eo stick, and less sure what he can do to help himself. Might be good trade for somebody if he can suit up. Like him.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So OBJ is still a little gun-shy when orange helmets are flying at him during the pre-season?

BBC did a number on him.

Guys do tend to lay it all out there when they are fighting to make a team.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
J/c

It seems like barely a day goes by when we don’t hear about Higgins making great plays

Yep.

I was one of those who really liked him out of college. I also had hopes for Payton .... but that didn't work.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Browns is the Browns

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Browns is the Browns

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It seems like this joint practice is producing a lot of injuries.

I was really hoping to see Lawrence string together some nice work this preseason.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Jc

I’m hoping Lawrence’s injury isn’t serious; he was someone to watch for the next few weeks here

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C

Last edited by cfrs15; 08/15/19 05:26 PM.
C
Legend
Legend
C

Takitaki must really regret being injured.

Legend
Legend
So who won? Sounds like a fine practice for the game. Maybe we are bringing some chippy to Indy. Hats off to Mister Chubb! Wahoo!

Can we just play it tomorrow?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Sounds like Strong had a good day today

Legend
Legend
ANALYSISTraining camp log, Day 16by Scott Petrak August 15, 2019

SAD SIGHT: Colts receiver Daurice Fountain wailed as he lay on the ground. Players and coaches from both teams, Colts owner Jim Irsay and Browns chaplain Robert Brooks tried to comfort and console him as his left leg was put in an air cast and he was eventually driven off the field and taken to a hospital.

He dislocated and fractured the ankle, according to multiple reports.

NEWS OF THE DAY: The Fountain injury cast a pall over practice for a while, but it didn’t stop the teams from fighting throughout. Browns linebacker Ray-Ray Armstrong was the headliner of the featured bout, throwing several violent punches.

CAMPER OF THE DAY: Browns receiver Jaelen Strong opened practice with a good catch over cornerback Quincy Wilson during one-on-ones. He never stopped making plays.

ADVERTISEMENT

He had touchdowns in one-on-ones and seven-on-sevens, then made his best catch on a 29-yard go route down the left sideline from Baker Mayfield in the team two-minute drill. He dived to make the play and held on despite rookie cornerback Rock Ya-Sin having a fistful of his jersey.

Strong is battling for a roster spot and could add a physical presence with his 6-foot-2, 220-pound frame.

“He could potentially bring that to the group because he is a physical guy when he wants to be,” he said. “We just need it every day. I want to know every day what I am going to get.”

PLAY OF THE DAY: Nick Chubb took the first-down handoff, headed through the hole over left guard, made a subtle cut to the right and was gone for a 65-yard touchdown that fired up Mayfield and the rest of the offense. There was no tackling during the practice, but it looked like a touchdown.

“I think we know, and I think they know,” Kitchens said of the Colts.

QUOTE OF THE DAY: “I’m excited for the direction we’re moving in. I can see it. I can feel it from you guys. I can feel it from the fans. I can feel it from this team. They’re excited about this season. First time being in the stadium, I can feel that energy. I told you I’m an empath. I can really feel that. So I know that they’re ready. I know we’re going to be ready when it’s time.” — Receiver Odell Beckham Jr., on the state of the team after the two days with the Colts.

FRIDAY’S SCHEDULE: No practice. The Browns play the Colts on Saturday at 4 p.m. at Lucas Oil Stadium.

https://www.brownszone.com/2019/08/15/training-camp-log-day-16-2/

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Browns notebook: With Freddie Kitchens urging players not to back down, final joint practice with Colts turns into 'Fight Club'

By Nate Ulrich
Posted Aug 15, 2019 at 9:29 PM

WESTFIELD, INDIANA — Browns coach Freddie Kitchens gave his players the green light to fight if it meant they would stand up for themselves during joint practices with the Indianapolis Colts.

In the second and final practice between the two teams Thursday, the practice fields at Grand Park Sports Campus transformed into "Fight Club."

During a punt coverage drill, Browns linebacker Ray-Ray Armstrong threw haymakers at Colts linebacker Zaire Franklin. Colts cornerback Quincy Wilson was involved in everything escalating to that point. Players from both teams formed a huge scrum, and it took a minute or two to break it all up. Then there were a couple of aftershock dust-ups when the drill resumed.

Earlier, Browns wide receiver Jaelen Strong caught a pass of about 20 yards from quarterback Baker Mayfield and subsequently got into a skirmish with a Colts defender. Left guard Joel Bitonio ran into the fray as a bunch of players from both teams gathered.

On the other field, the Browns' defense fought, too. Rookie safety Sheldrick Redwine tussled with Colts wide receiver Deon Cain. Rookie safety J.T. Hassell also mixed it up with Colts receiver Zach Pascal.

Those scenes came on the heels of Kitchens declaring after Wednesday's practice the Browns wouldn't back down to anyone.

"Message was received," Browns receiver Odell Beckham Jr. said. "We came here to impose our will the same way we would do in the regular season when it comes up. We're not backing down from anybody, and I love that mentality. That's all I've ever known. You don't want [fighting] to happen, but it happens sometimes.

"Competitive nature runs high. As long as you can contain it and make sure we're still able to do all the drills. We came here to practice. We didn't come here to fight. It's good to see that we do have fight in us, and they were going pretty hard. It was an active day."

Kitchens thought his players failed to establish the tempo during Wednesday's practice.

"We identified that problem last night," he said Thursday, "and they came out and fixed it.

"We set the tempo. Nobody else does. I think these guys learned that today."

Setting the tempo led to brawling.

"We just have a way that we are going to treat our practices," Kitchens said. "That's how we're going to practice. That doesn't ever change. It doesn't matter who we're going against. It doesn't matter if we're going against ourselves.

"I think we learned a lot about ourselves from the standpoint of that's how you have to approach it. You keep your tempo. Let everybody else adjust to yours, not the other way around."

"I told you guys [in the media] yesterday we're not into backing down from anything."

Top secret

Kitchens withheld his plan for how much he'll play his starters Saturday in preseason game No. 2 against the Colts at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.

"We'll wait and see on Saturday," Kitchens said. "I haven't fully decided yet. I'm not trying to avoid the question. I really haven't decided. I swear to you guys. I take it one day at a time. I think I have a preliminary plan, but that changes. We got some good work done today and yesterday. We'll see. We'll talk about it and determine that."

In last week's preseason opener, the Browns' 30-10 win over Washington, the starting offense and defense each played a series.

Running back Kareem Hunt didn't play in the first exhibition game because of a groin injury, but he returned to team drills this week and is positioned to face the Colts. Hunt said he "most definitely" wants to play Saturday.

O-line watch

A player who's positioned to receive ample playing time against the Colts is rookie offensive lineman Drew Forbes, a sixth-round draft pick from Southeast Missouri State. After toiling with the backups for the first two weeks of training camp, Forbes got first-team reps at right guard late in Wednesday and Thursday's practices.

"He has gotten better," Kitchens said. "He kept his head down when everything around him seemed to be falling apart. He kept his head down and just kept working. I think he has seen some of the benefits of doing it like that.

"Some of these guys just have to play. Some of these guys come from small schools, and they just have to play. He flashed in the game the other night, so that earned him some more reps. He flashed yesterday, so that earned him some more reps. It's kind of like we're on a reward system around here, I guess, like your little gas card."

The No. 1 right guard in Thursday's practice was still primarily Eric Kush, a veteran free-agent pickup. However, Forbes is worth watching at an unsettled position.

Extra points

• Tight end Demetrius Harris and receiver Jarvis Landry dominated an early seven-on-seven, red-zone period. Harris had a touchdown catch, and Landry added two. However, Mayfield also had a pass intercepted by safety Khari Willis.

• Practice on one of the two fields stopped when Colts receiver Daurice Fountain suffered an injury and screamed in pain. Colts owner Jim Irsay and many players from both teams consoled him as medical personnel immobilized his left leg. He was carted off the field at 5 p.m. NFL Network reported he suffered a dislocated and fractured ankle.

• Mayfield and the rest of the first-team offense produced a five-play, 65-yard touchdown drive in a two-minute drill. Mayfield and Strong connected for 29 yards on a go route, and, on the next play, Mayfield threw a 5-yard touchdown pass to Landry. The second- and third-team offenses stalled. The No. 3 offense should have scored a touchdown, but rookie receiver Damon Sheehy-Guiseppi dropped a 36-yard pass in the end zone from quarterback Garrett Gilbert.

• In a red-zone, 11-on-11 drill, receiver Rashard Higgins dropped a pass from Mayfield, and Colts cornerback Kenny Moore II intercepted it off the deflection. Moore also broke up a pass to Harris on the next play. Mayfield bounced back with a 6-yard touchdown pass to Strong. In the same period, tight end Pharaoh Brown fought through traffic to grab a 6-yard touchdown pass from backup quarterback Drew Stanton. General Manager John Dorsey was excited enough to signal TD.

• Rookie cornerback Greedy Williams intercepted a pass from quarterback Jacoby Brissett on the first 11-on-11 play between the Browns' defense and the Colts' offense.

https://www.ohio.com/sports/20190815/bro...impression=true

#gmstrong
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
ANALYSISTraining camp log, Day 16by Scott Petrak August 15, 2019

I told you I’m an empath. I can really feel that. So I know that they’re ready. I know we’re going to be ready when it’s time.” — Receiver Odell Beckham Jr., on the state of the team after the two days with the Colts.

https://www.brownszone.com/2019/08/15/training-camp-log-day-16-2/

"...I'm an empath." This, I think, is good news in general.

As it pertains to football, it might even be better news. Emotionally on the same page as Baker. Feeling the DB's decision to cut one way or the other, etc......

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 21 Colts 18 Joint practice news

Link Copied to Clipboard