Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1651124 08/17/19 08:49 PM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I don't like starting threads all that much, but the game has been over for awhile now. Some thoughts:

--Gilbert looked very good. He probably should be number 2.

--Willies caught a TD, but I think he might get cut. He had a drop and that one route towards the end was sloppy.

--Vernon did not impress me all that much.

--Kicking is still a concern.

--D. Johnson played very well. He got better w/more touches. A lot of RBs are like that. Good outing for the youngster.

--I thought the backup DE....Ray....showed some burst.

--Murray, the dude from KC, is a pretty good player. He quietly does his job.

--Greedy really struggles w/physicality. He can't shed blocks.

--Zettel made some nice plays on the DL.

--Pharaoh Brown did nothing.

--D. Harris looked bad.

--Kerridge was disappointing as a blocker.

--We have some receivers. Strong looked good. So did Hyman and Montgomery.

--Gathers might actually make the team.

--Avery looks stronger. He had some nice plays.

--We have more depth at corner.

--I can't believe Freddie was a qb at 'Bama. Damn man.

--I don't like Cover 2.

--I think our backups that will make the roster outplayed theirs.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Get rid of Joseph and put Seibert on the PS. Sign a reliable vet. Otherwise, we will lose games.

D'Ernest Johnson played well.

Gilbert played well.

The Hammer had a couple brilliant punts.

Corbett had a bad game. At least 2 snaps that he whiffed on and a huge missed block that led to a sack.

Our 3rd team that were out there w/Blough in the 2nd half were VERY undisciplined.

Our 2nd(ish) team beat their 2nd(ish) team.

R
Legend
Legend
R
In addition to your points, Mack Wilson was hit or miss with alot of miss.

Corbett might get cut.

I'm not digging the Zeitler for Vernon trade at the moment.

Areas of concern are growing. Can add TE to the OL, and I think I'd add LB.

Vernon looked like he wasn't trying.

Richardson got rolled up on. Hope he's ok.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm rooting for the Hammer. I'm going to have to get me one of those brown and orange kilts if he makes the team

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Legend
Legend
A few things off the top of my head:

- Johnson looks like a better option at RB than Hilliard
- Both kickers need to be axed ... there simply isn’t the trust/confidence there
- I thought our first team D looked stout ... especially the DL
- Higgins, Montgomery, and Willies, etc have given us tons of depth at WR
- Murray looked better this week IMO
- Harris is not a good player ... can’t catch and shaky blocking. TE depth is a concern
- Corbett? Yikes, not good (and if you read the twitter crowd, they agree)
- SO happy that Gilbert showed out ... i trust him so much more than Stanton
- Blough even looked more comfortable
- Redwine needs a lotta work on STs and in coverage
- Our short yardage D was a positive in all groups IMO

More later

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend

Hard game to watch. Spent time looking up numbers.

The RB D.Johnson showed some burst and vision.

Kush is a mauler. I like his effort. Forbes is unafraid to mix it up. He played on the left and right side. I think he has a future in the league.

Gilbert is a qualified backup.

The game looked like a bunch of guys who will not play. Penalties especially the Colts geez.

This was a coaches game to cement decisions on players.

Hard to come away from a game like this and gain any perspective. Because of all the different combinations of players.

So next week maybe we get to see a few series with starters. After that nobody plays in game four.

How somebody pays full price to see these games is beyond me.

Avery has gotten huge. Damn his legs are thick.

I like Wilson's reaction to plays. He had a straight shot at the qb but he didn't break his legs down and make the QB commit. But in general he has good instincts.

Ogunjobi is a tough guy to handle. He plays with leverage and strength.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Dorsey made a comment about Indy's TEs. I would not be surprised to see us pick one of the their TEs that doesn't make their final roster.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Hard to come away from a game like this and gain any perspective. Because of all the different combinations of players.

I had to keep telling myself this the entire game.
I also had to remind myself that this is what 1st Team Browns Football looked like for almost 20 years.
Sheesh.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Very good observations, bonefish.

I noticed the same things about the two offensive linemen and about Avery.

Legend
Legend
Hmm that could be the case ... I hope it is

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
j/c:

I heard Freddie say on the radio post-game that Stanton is still our number 2 QB.

I don't know why he likes him that much to say that.

Legend
Legend
Yeah, I understand saying the company line and respecting Stanton ... but I think GIlbert made his case too

L
Legend
Legend
L
I think we will be very active during cuts. I wouldn’t be surprised at as many as 10 swapped. Our line is going to be a problem this year, especially that right side. Hopefully they get better as they go. But they need to lock down that rg. Te still an issue, both ours and covering theirs. I could see everyone not named Njoku replaced. I don’t think our opening day kicker is on the roster yet. Just an ugly game. Gilbert needs to be the backup. You don’t have to change the play calling with him as opposed to Stanton. I really hope our regular season play calling involves establishing the run. I hope we see OBJ next week. We might have the deepest wr core in league

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
I’m not sure if well have ten new players, but I anticipate at least a few .. Namely depth at TE, OL and DB

Legend
Legend
Oh ... and a kicker

Legend
Legend

These games for me the best thing I can do is just watch "a" player. Even that is difficult because often the camera angle you lose who you are trying to track.

As far as "the Browns"?? I mean what can you determine?

No Baker, Chubb, Odell, Myles, Ward, Njoku, Jarvis you don't even see units except for ST. The defenses are pretty vanilla.

It is about guys on the fence. Guys like Strong, Willies, Montgomery and others.

Position coaches get to figure out the depth chart.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Hmmmmm.............I think the OL has played well.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I can't believe Freddie was a qb at 'Bama. Damn man.

And what are you insinuating with that STUPID statement?

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
I can't believe Freddie was a qb at 'Bama. Damn man.

And what are you insinuating with that STUPID statement?

Freddie?

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Love Sheehy, but that injury may have done him in.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
"We have more depth at corner"

That was a concern, Dorsey strikes again! If Ward can stay healthy we are in good shape. We are in reasonable shape if he cant.

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Browns notebook: Freddie fed up with penalties: ‘I’m really, really upset,’ Kitchens says

https://www.ohio.com/article/20190817/SPORTS/190818551

INDIANAPOLIS — Although the Browns won their second preseason game Saturday, coach Freddie Kitchens wasn’t pleased afterward.

“I think we made too many mistakes,” he said after the Browns defeated the Indianapolis Colts 21-18 at Lucas Oil Stadium. “You’re not going to win football games with the amount of mistakes that we made, the penalties that we made, the missed tackles that we had and the missed opportunities because of the penalties. You’re not going to win very many games like that.

“Their first scoring drive, we had three missed tackles on that drive alone. We just have to do better. We have to do a better job of making the plays that are just there to be made. I think our expectation for ourselves is a lot higher than what we demonstrated today.”

The Browns racked up 13 penalties for 119 yards. What helped them is the Colts had 16 penalties for 164 yards. Yet Kitchens didn’t take any consolation in being the least penalized team.

“It was not disappointing from a competitive standpoint,” Kitchens said. “I thought [the players] competed, and I thought they were tough and physical. I think we could’ve played smarter. We want a smart, tough football team. That’s what I said from the beginning. We were not smart tonight.”

Kitchens acknowledged several of the penalties were committed by rookies, but he wouldn’t use that as an excuse.

“I’m really, really upset about the penalties because that’s not who we are,” Kitchens said. “That’s not who we want to be, and that’s not our expectation.”

Kitchens delivered that message to the team after the game.

“The only thing that we really need to focus on is just the penalties right now,” veteran defensive end Olivier Vernon said. “We won, but still, that’s not going to cut it during the regular season.”

Back in action

Running back Kareem Hunt made his preseason debut with the Browns and played two series. He finished with two carries for 6 yards.

“It definitely felt good getting back out there with the team and feeling that feeling of being on the field again,” Hunt said.

Hunt had been sidelined for most of training camp with a groin injury. He returned to team drills last week and participated Wednesday and Thursday in joint practices with the Colts at Grand Park Sports Campus in Westfield, Indiana.

Because Hunt will serve an eight-game suspension when the regular season begins, the preseason is the time for the Browns to give him work. The only problem is Hunt isn’t fully healthy. He said the groin injury is still bothering him “a little bit.”

“I’m trying to get that all the way back [to] 100 [percent],” he said. “So just taking it day by day with my body and making sure I’m ready to come back full throttle when it comes time for me to play.”

Glaring miscues

Offensive lineman Austin Corbett had a few high snaps while playing center and was flagged for holding. In the second quarter, quarterback Garrett Gilbert had to throw the ball away on third-and-3 at the Browns 49 after gathering a poor snap from Corbett.

“On third-and-3, we need to get the snap, all right?” Kitchens said. “So I don’t know what to say.”

A 2018 second-round draft pick, Corbett hasn’t received any first-team snaps at right guard in a long time. Eric Kush started there Saturday. Rookie sixth-round selection Drew Forbes has recently been added to the mix.

“As a competitor, I’m never going to count myself out,” Corbett said. “That’s anything in life — never count myself out. Just starting as a walk-on [at the University of Nevada], I’ve already been doubted enough, so no reason to change that mentality.”

Corbett insisted he never thought the right guard job was his after the Browns traded Kevin Zeitler to the New York Giants for Vernon in March.

“I knew there was an opening for a spot and they were going to bring guys in to compete for it, and that’s what we’re doing,” he said. ”... I never once thought it was going to be handed to me, and I never want anything handed to me in the first place.”

Asked if Corbett is still part of the competition at right guard, Kitchens said, “Everybody on our team is in the mix for right guard, but we’re going to evaluate. ... So I don’t know. We’ll see.”

Kicking woes

Incumbent Greg Joseph missed a 53-yard field goal wide right to end the first half, and rookie fifth-round pick Austin Seibert missed a 52-yard field goal wide left with 2:52 left in the fourth quarter.

“I want them through the uprights,” Kitchens said. “I don’t care how they get there.

“I think they had the distance. The first miss was hit good. It just didn’t go through. Both those guys can kick the ball that far. I just want it through the uprights.”

Of his miss, Joseph said, ”“I felt like I hit it really well, but it just didn’t go through.”

Joseph made his lone extra-point kick. Seibert made both of his extra-point kicks.

Meaningful moment

When receiver Jaelen Strong caught a 4-yard pass from Gilbert in the end zone with 1:52 left in the first quarter, he scored his first touchdown since he suffered a torn ACL while playing for the Jacksonville Jaguars on Christmas Eve in 2017.

“It’s my first touchdown since I came off injury,” Strong said. “Even though it’s preseason, it just felt good to get back in the zone, and all praise to God.”

Strong has performed well recently in his bid to make the team. His chances increased when the NFL suspended fellow receiver Antonio Callaway for four regular-season games because he violated the league’s substance-abuse policy.

However, Strong doesn’t look at Callaway’s misstep as an opportunity for him.

“When he took that fall, we all took that fall with him,” Strong said. “Nobody looks at it as a good situation at all because it’s definitely not a great situation for him or the team. So us coming together as a brotherhood and picking him up in the receiving room is what matters most.

“We’re all going to get through it together with him. He’s our teammate, he’s our brother and that’s what it’s about. It’s not a win for anybody. It’s unfortunate, and we’re going to work with him.”

Extra points

• Receiver Ishmael Hyman suffered a concussion after catching a 24-yard pass early in the third quarter and absorbing a hit. He left the game and didn’t return.

• Receiver Derrick Willies didn’t play offense until the second half. “We were in a rotation,” Kitchens said. “He just ended up not being in there until then.” Willies bounced back from a dropped pass with a 4-yard touchdown catch from undrafted rookie quarterback David Blough with 9:09 left in the third quarter.

• Punters don’t create highlights every day, yet undrafted rookie Jamie “The Scottish Hammer” Gillan did against the Colts. Gillan, who’s competing against incumbent Britton Colquitt, booted a 74-yard punt with 7:57 left in the first quarter.

• Defensive tackle Devaroe Lawrence played after suffering a knee injury during Wednesday’s joint practice. “It ain’t nothing,” Lawrence said of the injury. “It’s good.

• Running back D’Ernest Johnson had 10 carries for 53 yards (5.3 average) and three catches for 26 yards, including a 6-yard TD. He said he views the Browns recently trading running back Duke Johnson as an opportunity for him. “He got traded, God opened up a door and I’m just trying to take full advantage of it,” he said.

• The Browns are off Sunday. They’re scheduled to practice from 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Monday, 10 a.m.-noon Tuesday and 10 a.m.-noon Wednesday in Berea before breaking camp. Wednesday’s practice is the last one open to the general public.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Quote:
Strong has performed well recently in his bid to make the team. His chances increased when the NFL suspended fellow receiver Antonio Callaway for four regular-season games because he violated the league’s substance-abuse policy.

However, Strong doesn’t look at Callaway’s misstep as an opportunity for him.

“When he took that fall, we all took that fall with him,” Strong said. “Nobody looks at it as a good situation at all because it’s definitely not a great situation for him or the team. So us coming together as a brotherhood and picking him up in the receiving room is what matters most.

This is a good dude. Hope he makes the team.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
--I thought the backup DE....Ray....showed some burst. 

And some nice bend. He also uses his long arms to keep blockers out of his body vs the run.

The one thing he needs to work on imo, is his jump off of the snap
(like MG). Imagine how much better his burst would be then?

I hope that we can stash him on the PS, Because the numbers are certainly not in his favor for making the 53.

--I though that Zettel and our first team DTs' played well. Vernon did not seem to be turning it on, but I am not too concerned going forward.

--Avery showed that he is more than just a pass rushing Edge defender.

--Higgs, Strong and Montgomery (3, 4 & 5 respectively) showed good. Willie's could be the the odd man out of the mix, (it wasn't that long ago when he seemed like a lock to make the cuts) with Callaway coming back after the first four games, we might only keep five initially on the 53.

--I know that Freddie says that Drew is our backup QB, but man I sure thought that the others have looked as good as any we have had around here not named Baker for many years. Blough is not your run of the mill camp arm. I think that he has a future in this League.

--Forbes seems to be holding up pretty good, and has been ascending the past two weeks as a legitimate candidate for the RG position down the road. I like that we did not hear his name called.

--Our backup TEs' aren't meeting their high expectations.

--Corbett did not help his woes with that bad snap on 3rd down, and another penalty to boot.

--Redwine in particular was inconsistent, and had as many bad plays as good. Still pretty green.

--The kicking game ... ugh!

--All and all, there were far to many penalties and missed tackles on defense.

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Good take.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
• Running back D’Ernest Johnson had 10 carries for 53 yards (5.3 average) and three catches for 26 yards, including a 6-yard TD. He said he views the Browns recently trading running back Duke Johnson as an opportunity for him. “He got traded, God opened up a door and I’m just trying to take full advantage of it,” he said.

I forgot to make mention of DJ, who also was key on ST return and coverage units.

We still have three Dawgs in our kennel, besides Hunt.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Good take.

Ty ... We seem to have a reoccurring theme with the kicking game ... I think that we are all aware of what the repercussion of not fixing this apparent weakness could mean for the season overall.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
That struck me as well.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20
j/c:

I heard Freddie say on the radio post-game that Stanton is still our number 2 QB.

I think this is going to be one of those situations where Stanton id the #2 on gome day. If Baker gets knocked out he'll come in to complete the series or the game. But if Baker will be out for a few games, then Gilbert will start them.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
O
Legend
Legend
O
We should cut Stanton, make Gilbert the backup and stash Blough on the PS.

Strong should make the team.

We need a real kicker yesterday. I don't want to go into the season with either of these two on the 53.

Colquitt is by far the more reliable punter but he is 34 and that along with the potential has me leaning toward Gillan. That booming leg could prove to be huge for years to come.

I'd like to see more of the depth players that are decent mixed in with the ones during the next two games. I hope Blough starts or gets some reps with a better line in game 4 if we sit Baker, which we should.

After kicker, the oline and safety depth are my biggest concerns. I think we'll see Dorsey doing some waiver wire work on these positions after cuts.

I was happy Baker didn't play tonight since he already dominated them during the two days of scrimmage.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20
j/c:

Probably because Stanton is a veteran and probably because he isn't going to announce a shift in positions in a post game interview.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Gilbert looked good. I still think we need to keep Stanton for the season along with Gilbert.

Gillan is too good to cut. A big mistake if we do.

Kicking on placekicks is a worry. I hope we have a scout at every other pre-season game with a close eye on the other kickers on other teams. The bums we have brought in don't cut it.

Corbett was a wasted pick. That happens. The only thing worse than a blown pick is to stick with a blown pick. Dorsey can't allow his ego to interfere with making sound football decisions. Cut bait.

Some tough decisions are going to have to be made in the receiver room. Some pretty good players are going to have to be cut.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I had noticed Johnson on ST coverage as well, so that’s another bonus for him to make the team. I liked what I saw from him in all areas yesterday. And admittedly, I was higher on Hilliard coming into the preseason ... but Johnson seems like a good fit for our team

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Gilbert actually looks like an NFL QB.

Seems to have good grasp of the Offense.

I'd be comfy with him Starting a couple games, especially with a solid running game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
How somebody pays full price to see these games is beyond me.

Season ticket holders can’t give them away. Lol

Some day, following the example of the United States of America, there will be a United States of Europe.

George Washington
T
Legend
Legend
T
postgame thoughts: What can be learned about the Browns after watching that game...

( I got distracted when I started reading the articles, )

It's going to be a lonng season if the Browns can't run the football. I think it felt like when they give up on the run game to see the team run plays out of the shotgun exclusively when it's 0-0 and the opening 6 minutes of the 1st quarter. Later they went to a two back offense.
When I heard them announce the fullback was in the game, the following play was a dudd.

I don't think the running game showed much,

If you have 2 kickers who both look like the option that usually loses a two man competition in camp, then you don't have a kicker, I wonder if Gillam can kick.

If I've been reading board members for 20 years, I know they've been watching football for 20 years (<,on Corbett)
if some things seem so obvious to me, I don't know how they don't also see it, We may just be looking at different things, (the same thing in different ways). Frustrating.

I've got to see more out of the running game.
" If this team can't run the ball it won't make the playoffs!" There I said it!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Kicking battle is over.

Nobody won. Loved me some Hammer! But our place kickers now will hurt us, in my opinion.
A little Dorsey magic is needed there.

I was appalled by how wide open and easy the middle of the field was for some gouges passing on us. I do think with cuts that our IQ will go up remarkably and the the flag count will drop dramatically. At least that is what wrote in The Big Book of Hopes and Dreams. If it doesn't happen immediately, Freddie will be visiting some folks making it personal. That's in there, brownie too.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Our twos scored on their ones, and their ones couldn't score on our twos.

Vernon was a non factor. Corbett looked horrible.

We need a veteran kicker.

Harris was horrible blocking.

Gilbert earned the back QB spot.

Hilliard is no Duke Johnson.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
- In the post game thread I mentioned that we are missing tackles and cannot cover the TE. I was accused of drinking *L*. I stand by those comments.

- We missed a lot of tackles in this game. Quite a few in the backfield. There was one play where two different guys missed a RB for a loss, only for it to turn into a decent gain. Tackling is a fundamental, being a rookie or young is not an excuse.

- If Ebron beating a rookie safety for a catch was the only example of us not being able to cover a TE, I would not have brought it up. It was all game.

- Speaking of TEs, that one we signed that was in KC, the guy with all the hype? Can't remember his name, #88 I think. I saw a dropped pass, a hold, another hold he got away with, and a missed block. Not saying he doesn't make the team, but I am saying that if he does make the team, it has nothing to do with this game. That was not a good outing.

- I know Willies gets a lot of love here, but I think Strong is being overlooked. Willies had that one great catch during practice, the one where he punted the ball afterwards. We all saw the video. The article that went with that video said he was pumped at that catch because he had some drops earlier. Reports from other days are similar, nice catches but drops. Same thing in this game, a drop and a nice catch. By all accounts, Strong has has a very good camp. No real reports of the dropsies. He's been running with the 1's when OBJ and Landry are not. He started this game, Willies came in later. Strong made some nice catches, and worked himself open in end zone for a TD. Not saying Willies does not make the team, but I think Strong does before Willies does.

- The kicking game is beyond bad. On turf, in a dome. Cannot ask for better conditions. Both missed FGs that were not even close. I hope neither one is our kicker this year. If Siebert ends up on the practice squad in order to try and salvage the pick, fine.

- Dark horse candidate to be our kicker: the Hammer. He did both punting and place kicking in college. Haven't seen him kick yet, so this all coming from way outside the box. We keep him and Colquitt. Colquitt remains the holder. We can use the Hammer to punt when we are deep in our territory. And we keep looking for a kicker, for when Colquitt ends his run. Then the Hammer moves to punter.

- Penalties. Those refs may need some rotator cuff surgery. Young guys trying to make a play to get noticed are getting noticed for the wrong reason.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
I missed the portion of the game when Shobert, Kirksey, Randall or Burnett (he may have played) were out there doing there jobs .. and MG didn’t apply any pressure at all to help them out ...

Ya .,,, were $CREWED ... its last year all over again .... rolleyes ...

Cfr summed it up best .... our 4th round rookie couldn’t cover their all pro TE ... then apparently either the rooks or others that will hardly if at all see the field couldn’t cover their other “bum”TE’s ... or maybe they don’t have any bum TE’s ... i heard they have some pretty good depth at the position from someone recently ... who was that? ... naughtydevil ..

U must be hung over .... *L* ...

PS. U brought it up before halftime .... wink

Strong is a lock ... love me some willies but he’s in danger of not making the team ... i wanted to see more of him since last year ... early reports were glowing ... he was stringing together good days early on ... unfortunately for him those days seem to be long gone .. *L* ... drops are becoming the norm ... myboy’s in some serious danger of making the team ..

Make yourself a Bloody Mary this morning .... you’ll feel better ... *L* ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 21 Colts 18 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard