Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1655294 08/29/19 10:50 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Finally, the preseason is over

We have retained the Barge!!

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Thank goodness the preseason is over.

NFL Preseason is the new NBA Summer League.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Any injuries? Any update on Forbes? I missed the second half.

L
Legend
Legend
L
On to the dawg pound, September 8

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Sheehy-Guiseppi experiment is officially over.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
How did the punting go?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
I think that Gillan has a real chance at winning the job.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Highlight of the night was Gillan's 67 yard "punt" on the free kick after the safety... came all the way down the field and fought off a block to make the tackle. Had another tackle after a punt, pissed at the return, he literally "took the dude to the woodshed" with a crushing tackle on the sideline. His teammates were pretty fired up.

Got another punt off with the rush in his face, shoulda been blocked... unfortunately, he absorbed the contact like a man rather than falling to the ground like a wounded puppy to pick up the flag... they'll coach him up on that one.

On the night... 6-266 = 44.33

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #1655310 08/29/19 11:40 PM
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
My favorite part of the game was Bernie avoiding questions like a politician.

[color:"white"]I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane -Waylon Jennings
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Thank goodness the preseason is over.

NFL Preseason is the new NBA Summer League.

NBA summer league is way better.

I would actually go - and have gone - to an NBA summer league game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Who cares.

Now the season starts.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Based on Kitchens post game comments, it seems like the final WR spot is down to Hyman and Braxton

In terms of the punter who we keep, I think we’ll keep Colquitt ... but the Hammer came on strong and has a future in the NFL IMO

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Didn't see anything from last night. Vs Tampa I thought Gillan looked legit and I'd be more than happy to keep him. He dropped 2 or 3 inside the 20 last week and has that extra distance when needed.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Lol plus he had two tackles last night and can kick FGs in emergencies!

It’ll be interesting to see if the trust factor with Colquitt is too strong

Legend
Legend
He also had a punt that should have, by all rights, been blocked ... but that he somehow punted around the defender. It wasn't the greatest punt, but he got it away, and it should have been a roughing the kicker penalty on the defense.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I didn't see the game. Almost every post is about the punter. I saw one on the WRs? Any other thoughts? The backup offensive and defensive linemen? The secondary? The linebackers? Hilliard or Johnson? Back-up QBs?

Thanks in advance.

Kickers?

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 08/30/19 08:01 AM. Reason: Forgot kickers
Legend
Legend
Defense played great, in particular the 1st half.

Offensively, not much to brag about. WR Hyman got the most out of his opportunities.

Rooting for AJ Oullette and I also like Gray too.

Was hoping Sheehy would make the team, but he didn't do much in the return game, even fumbling.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Lawrence had a very good game and was disruptive ... our DL has some serious depth as a lot of those backups showed promise. That’s a tough group to make cuts from.

There were two injuries: Pipkins and Forbes. Both could be a stash type deal IMO if there serious at all.

Hilliard looked better than Johnson IMO ... both are just adequate, Hilliard a bit better catching it to me.

Our backup OL is quite bad, though it looked like Corbett had a better night (I didn’t recognize him as having bad plays at least)

Harvey is another player who is very good in the box IMO, though i think he’ll be cut or on the PS

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks Dawg.

Legend
Legend
Browns 20, Lions 16: Devaroe Lawrence, Austin Seibert stay hot in preseason finale

https://www.ohio.com/sports/20190829/bro...reseason-finale

CLEVELAND — Devaroe Lawrence dominated, Ishmael Hyman dropped it and Austin Seibert distanced himself.

With the vast majority of Browns starters resting Thursday night during a 20-16 win over the Detroit Lions in the preseason finale at FirstEnergy Stadium, players on the roster bubble were in the spotlight as they tried to bolster their cases one last time before the NFL’s cutdown weekend. All NFL teams must trim their rosters to 53 players before 4 p.m. Saturday.

General Manager John Dorsey continued his tradition of watching at least part of the fourth and final exhibition game from the Browns’ sideline. Then he joined News 5′s telecast during the third quarter and said the defensive line featured the most notable competition he had been monitoring Thursday.

A defensive tackle whom Dorsey acquired a year ago by sending a seventh-round draft pick to the New Orleans Saints, Lawrence made his presence felt in the game affectionately known as “the Great Lakes Classic.” He sacked Lions backup quarterback Tom Savage on the defense’s first play, hit the QB again and drew an offensive holding penalty during its second series and later pressured Savage at the beginning of the second quarter.

“Well, he wasted no time tonight, right?” coach Freddie Kitchens said during his post-game news conference. “That was him in the backfield, so I think he wanted to show everybody that that was not a fluke. I think he certainly did that. I was very impressed with Devaroe.

“Devaroe carried the practices over to the games. He was the same way in practices. I’m always happy when guys do that. What you see in practice is what you see in the game. I just want to know what we’re going to get when they cross the white lines, and I know what I’m getting from him.”

Lawrence is vying with fellow backup defensive tackles Trevon Coley, who didn’t play Thursday, and Daniel Ekuale, who had a sack on the defense’s second snap. Lawrence has built an incredibly strong argument to make the team. He finished the preseason with four sacks and figures to be a rotational player behind starting tackles Sheldon Richardson and Larry Ogunjobi when the real games begin.

“I’m pleased with how well he has played this preseason,” Dorsey, whose team finished the preseason 3-1, said on News 5. ”... He is so competitive. I mean, it’s just so fun to watch him.”

Still, Lawrence isn’t taking anything for granted.

“I wouldn’t say that I feel secure,” Lawrence said. “You don’t feel secure until after the weekend when they let you know that you’re secure. You just have to keep working, even after this.”

Hyman didn’t fare as well in his bid for a job on the backend of the receiving corps. During the Browns’ second possession, third-string quarterback Garrett Gilbert, who started against the Lions with Baker Mayfield and Drew Stanton taking the night off, threw to Hyman on three consecutive plays. All of those passes fell incomplete. Hyman should have caught two of them, including one he dropped on a deep post route.

Hyman scored some points with Kitchens by bouncing back to finish with five catches for 61 yards on 11 targets. He’s competing with Braxton Miller, Damion Ratley, Derrick Willies, Damon Sheehy-Guiseppi and Dorian Baker to round out a position group led by Odell Beckham Jr., Jarvis Landry, Rashard Higgins and Antonio Callaway, who’ll serve a four-game suspension to begin the season.

“I thought it was very impressive that Ishmael Hyman dropped a couple balls early and one of them for a big play,” Kitchens said. “We continue to talk about just playing the next play, and he came back and had a pretty good game.”

Higgins and tight end David Njoku were the only regulars on the first-team offense who played Thursday. A minor knee injury and stitches in the back of Njoku’s head prevented him from appearing in the first three preseason games, so he received a quick tune-up for the Sept. 8 regular-season opener against the Tennessee Titans.

Miller compiled three catches for 19 yards on six targets. Ratley made his preseason debut after dealing with a hamstring injury but had no catches on one target. Willies had two catches for 46 yards on three targets.

Fighting for a roster spot, tight end Seth DeValve had one catch for 8 yards and a drop on two targets.

The regular first-string players who appeared on defense against the Lions were cornerback TJ Carrie, safety Jermaine Whitehead and linebacker Adarius Taylor. Rookie second-round draft pick Greedy Williams also started at cornerback.

Although coach Kitchens said this past weekend incumbent Greg Joseph would handle the kicking duties against the Lions, rookie fifth-round pick Austin Seibert was summoned instead.

“Nothing was set in stone,” Kitchens said.

Regardless, now Seibert will likely prevail over Joseph.

“We’re not talking about decisions tonight with anything,” Kitchens said.

Seibert and Joseph struggled throughout training camp, but Joseph had been the better of the two. However, Seibert seized the momentum in last week’s third preseason game by going 4-for-4 on field goals in Tampa. He capitalized on his opportunity again Thursday, going 2-for-2 on field goals and 2-for-2 on extra points.

″[Seibert is] supposed to perform,” Kitchens said.

Undrafted rookie Jamie Gillan handled the punting (six for 266 yards, 44.3 gross average) and added two tackles in coverage, but it would be a surprise if “The Scottish Hammer” were to unseat incumbent Britton Colquitt.

Seibert’s 36-yard field goal gave the Browns a 3-0 lead with 8:59 left in the second quarter.

After Browns offensive lineman Travis Vornkahl committed a holding penalty in the end zone that gave the Lions a safety to make the score 3-2 with 4:16 remaining in the second quarter, Gilbert led a six-play, 80-yard scoring drive. His completions of 33 and 10 yards to Willies helped set up his 7-yard touchdown pass to running back Dontrell Hilliard. Seibert made the extra point to give the Browns a 10-2 advantage with 21 seconds remaining before halftime.

Gilbert has positioned himself to survive roster cuts and serve as the No. 3 QB. He went 13-of-24 passing for 117 yards and a touchdown without an interception and posted a passer rating of 81.4 before undrafted rookie David Blough started the second half and threw two interceptions in the third quarter.

“He has done everything [the coaches have] asked him to do,” Dorsey said of Gilbert, who also had an impressive outing against the Indianapolis Colts in the second preseason game.

Suffering an injury in the preseason is the worst experience a player can have. With Eric Kush resting, rookie sixth-round selection Drew Forbes started in his place at right guard. A Lions defender fell into the left leg of Forbes late in the first quarter. Forbes left the game with a knee injury and didn’t return.

Kitchens said he didn’t have “anything definitive” in terms of an update on Forbes.

Coincidentally, earlier Thursday, Dorsey added to the depth at guard by agreeing to a trade with the Buffalo Bills for Wyatt Teller.

Cornerback Lenzy Pipkins, a long shot to make the roster, left the game after suffering a back injury with 8:22 remaining in the second quarter.

Running back Trayone Gray rushed for a 2-yard touchdown, and Seibert made an extra point to give the Browns a 17-9 lead with 9:20 left in the fourth quarter after the Lions had reduced their deficit to a point with quarterback Josh Johnson’s 1-yard rushing touchdown with 8:32 remaining in the third quarter.

With 3:07 left, Seibert made a 33-yard field goal to give the Browns a two-score cushion, which came in handy because Johnson connected with tight end Isaac Nauta for a 20-yard touchdown with 1:51 to play.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Hilliard helped himself.. Sheehy didn't.

Hyman looked bad, then looked good. Kinda settled down and played well

Gilbert should be the back up.. Stanton should be #3 like he was at the start of last season.

Hope Forbes is ok,, either way, he makes it to the PS at the least.

Our Dline,, even without the starters is pretty fun to watch. Lawrence makes the team.. no doubt in my mind.

After Beckham, Landry and Higgins, I have no idea who the receivers will be. Callaway of course but in 4 weeks. Not now.

We might keep Johnson while we are waiting for Hunt to return..

Don't have a clue what they will do with Devalve.. I like his skills, but you can't rely on him being healthy.

All in all, I don't think anyone can say that Kitchens was easy on them.. without a doubt, not a Camp Cupcake. Those guys got toughened up.

Dorsey has his work cut out for him over the next 2 days. Some hard cuts coming..

Can't wait for the real games..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks.

Legend
Legend
So thankful the preseason is over... let's figure it the fifty three and get going....

Let's go Browns....

<><

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Here is another article on the game and some additional Brown's news.

Quote:
Rookie Seibert makes kicks, Browns down winless Lions 20-16

The Associated Press TOM WITHERS (AP Sports Writer),The Associated Press 8 hours ago

CLEVELAND (AP) -- Once Austin Seibert straightened himself out, the Browns' kicking competition got on target.

Seibert appeared to lock up Cleveland's kicking job after a summer-long battle with Greg Joseph, and the Browns ended the preseason with a 20-16 win Thursday night over the Detroit Lions, who finished 0-4.

Seibert kicked field goals of 36 and 33 yards and made two extra points. The fifth-round draft pick from Oklahoma has been competing with Joseph, but Seibert, who got off to an abysmal start in training camp, separated himself by making all four field goals last week in Tampa and didn't miss against the Lions.

He said a small adjustment in his technique made the difference. He compared himself to a car getting a tune up.

''I had to get realigned,'' said Seibert, who made six of seven field goals and all six extra-point attempts in the exhibition season.

The Browns (3-1) are hoping to contend for a playoff spot this season and need a dependable kicker. Coach Freddie Kitchens would not commit to Seibert as his starter, and downplayed his second straight strong performance.

''He's supposed to perform,'' said Kitchens, who earlier in the week said he would give Joseph all the kicks. ''Nothing was set in stone. He went 4 for 4, so he got another chance.''

Veteran QB Josh Johnson scored on a 1-yard sneak and threw a TD pass for the Lions, who played sloppily - 12 penalties - and not up to coach Matt Patricia's standards.

''Too many mistakes, too many penalties,'' Patricia said. ''These are things we need to eliminate. So many plays that got off track. So many negative plays. We obviously have got a lot of work in front of us, but I think these guys enjoy each other and work real hard.''

Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield, receiver Odell Beckham Jr. and Cleveland's other starters didn't even put on their uniforms. They stood on the sideline and watched as teammates they've played with all summer battled for jobs.

''For these guys this is a dream,'' said Beckham, who didn't play in the preseason because of a minor hip injury.

NFL teams must submit their 53-man rosters by Saturday at 4 p.m., and the next 48 hours will be tense for dozens of players.

Lions QB Matthew Stafford did dress for the game, but he didn't throw another pass after warmups as Patricia and Kitchens sat their first-teamers.

Browns third-string QB Garrett Gilbert threw a 7-yard touchdown pass to running back Dontrell Hilliard in the first half.

Tom Savage started for Stafford, played the entire first half and completed 5 of 9 passes. Savage recently returned from a concussion suffered in the preseason opener, and will likely be Detroit's backup.

Johnson's just hoping to make the squad.

''I've been in this situation for 12 years, so you never know until you know,'' said Johnson, who was with Washington last year and has been on eight other teams. ''We compete until the end. I just try and control what I can control and be a leader.''

MILLER TIME

Browns wide receiver Braxton Miller helped his chances of making the roster with three catches for 19 yards. The former Ohio State quarterback signed last week after being cut by the Eagles.

''He did well,'' Kitchens said. ''He took one screen and made something out of it, used his hands well.''

TACKLE INELIGIBLE

Cleveland backup tackle Travis Vornkahl had an interesting three-play sequence. He was called for an illegal block, caught a deflected pass for a 7-yard loss and was caught holding in the end zone.

INJURIES

Lions: TE Isaac Nauta returned from a leg injury and caught a 20-yard TD pass.

Browns: Rookie OL Drew Forbes injured his left knee in the first quarter and didn't return. ... CB Lenzy Pipkins hurt his back while making an open-field tackle in the second quarter.

RIGHT GUARD?

Wyatt Teller was sliding down Buffalo's depth chart. He landed in Cleveland.

The Browns, who have been looking for a starting right guard since trading Kevin Zeitler to the Giants in the Beckham deal, acquired Teller from the Bills a few hours before kickoff. Cleveland sent a fifth- and a sixth-round pick in 2020 to Buffalo for Teller, who started seven games at left guard as a rookie in 2018.

Teller will likely move into the starting lineup, given what general manager John Dorsey gave up for him.

''It gives us some depth at that position,'' Dorsey said on the TV broadcast during the third quarter. ''He's a younger guy. I think he has developmental upside. You can't have enough good football players, and that's another one we've acquired.''

Eric Kush had been working with the starters.

UP NEXT

Lions: travel to Arizona for Sept. 8 opener.

Browns: open at home against Tennessee. Cleveland is 1-17-1 in openers since 1999.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/rookie-seib...13491--nfl.html

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My uneducated thoughts:

- The pass rush was strong, all game. Lawrence was getting held, he was so disruptive.

- Hyman played himself off of the team, IMO. First two targets were great throws that he dropped. He made some catches later, but then on 3rd down in the 4th qtr he cut his route short of the first down marker and while he made the catch, went out of bounds a yard or so short.

- Miller looked good, as did Willies.

- Great story or not, the Sheehy thing is likely done. Dropped a punt, picked it up, dropped it, and got clocked. We did recover it though. Outside of the one return, this guy has shown zero. But, a great story. We should have no problem getting him to the practice squad if we desire. I do not see anyone claiming him.

- There was a metric crapload of penalties, on both sides. But, it's the 4th preseason game and guys are trying to make plays.

- Our kick and punt coverage were bad. I know at one time Freddie mentioned the Hammer out-kicking the coverage and setting up returns. He booms it, but the hang time seems sufficient for the coverage to be there, and it seemed that the coverage was there last night. There were a lot of whiffs.

- Speaking of the Hammer, he has nice form on tackles. He did manage to get a punt off that should have been blocked. Kicked it under the arm of a Lion. The guy then ran into the Hammer, not sure why not flag. The 5 yards would have been a first down. He needed to flop, probably.

- Rookie kicker made his kicks, with the Hammer holding. I was under the impression it would be Joseph kicking in this game. The announcers (Cleveland announcers) were talking as though the kicker competition was not over yet. Maybe the reports stating it was decided were premature.

- Gilbert threw well, but the receivers did not help him. I do not think Gilbert will make it the practice squad if we tried to get him there.

- Blough had his arm hit when throwing and that led to a pick. His next attempt was a pick that was on him. Another candidate for the practice squad, I would bet no one claims him for their roster. Maybe Indy has interest as he played college in Indiana.

- Hilliard had a nice game, running and receiving. Good to see.

- One OL, not sure who (#77 I think) had about as bad a series as one could have. Flagged for illegal hands to the face. Then caught a deflected pass behind the line of scrimmage and then lost some more yards (instead of just batting it down). Then completed the series by getting flagged for holding in the end zone for a safety.

- I do not recall anyone mentioning the trade for the Bills OG during the game.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Forgot about Sheehy ... yeah, he fumbled, recovered it, then fumbled again lol ... though, he did make a catch (or two?) ... but yeah, he’ll be a PS guy at the most

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
They gotta find a spot for B Miller on this team. Every time he touches it, he seems so quick and shifty. He gains a few extra yards when anyone else would be tackled. Bubble screens to him could be explosive.

------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
Nice info, Cap. I appreciate it.

Legend
Legend
I think my favorite play of the game was when Lawrence was held so badly, he was actually running toward the QB backwards all while the OL tried to pull him the other way. That guy was a force to be reckoned with last night.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I liked what I saw from Devaroe,but I have to temper it a little bit by saying that Detroit's OL depth is possibly the worst I've ever seen, which is quite an "accomplishment."

Hilliard's hammy looked fully recovered. Great execution of the option route on his TD. He had some nice runs, too.

Trayone Gray has nice burst for a big man, but his leg drive and lean need work. Might be a practice squad candidate. I expected better results from him in short yardage situations.

Hyman reminds me of Carlton Mitchell. Looks the part, but inconsistent hands.

Gilbert had some nice throws. Drops still plagued those on the receiving end, though.

It looked like Braxton was getting open at will later in the game, but Blough was fairly locked in on the guys he was more familiar with. I thought he showed good hands when Gilbert threw to him earlier and made a little something out of nothing on "extended hand off"/quick screen type plays.

None of the TEs looked very good once again. Blocking is becoming a bit more of a concern from them.

Stubbs had a few nice plays at LB. I'm curious to see who ends up on the practice squad from that group of UDFA LBs. They've all shown flashes.

Chad Thomas had a sack, but I'd credit it more to the coverage. He ended up on the ground shortly after the snap, but was able to get up and clean up the QB. I didn't notice him much otherwise. Our 4th DE is a bit of a concern.

Avery had a rough play on Josh Johnson's TD. He did maintain contain, but you'd like to see him finish. I'm not sure what to consider him and didn't really include him in my 4th DE comment. I'm not sure how we'll use him come the regular season.

Philip Gaines had some nice tackles. The DB Jackson struggled. Hassell isn't making the team for his coverage skills at safety. I was surprised how late Carrie was in the game.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Thanks for the info guys. I won't have a chance to see the game until Saturday morning on the NFL network.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
It’s not an easy watch haha tons of flags/poor plays .. Detroit’s line play is abysmal. Their depth is trash.
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
j/c

Thanks for the info guys. I won't have a chance to see the game until Saturday morning on the NFL network.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I've been around a very long time. lol

I know what game 4 of the preseason looks like. Heck, by the time I watch it most of the players will already have been cut. But I just have to watch it anyway.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
KEEP THE HAMMER!

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
obligation

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Haha i feel ya

Legend
Legend
Nathan Zegura: "Devaroe Lawrence is such a beast!"
Kirko: "Dude, that guy is unblockable!"

“I have 99 problems and being blocked isn’t 1”

Last edited by GratefulDawg; 08/30/19 03:31 PM.

#gmSTRONG
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
KEEP THE HAMMER!

The most important player to keep is Trevon Coley.

They probably won,t I mean the WKNR guys were saying so on Wed, and he didn't play Thurs. But let's take a look,

I'm so tired of hearing how they got to get rid of their big guy in the NT spot and then spend valueable resources to replace him, as a continuing cycle, since Orpheus Roye was on the team.

Sure, Washington was better than whomever,
but Another guy was better and required a big early round draft pick,

Then, Phil Taylor was supposed to be more mobile and bigger and tougher and that was worth a big investment,

but, ehh, he was too, whatever, and they had to get someone else,

Then, Danny Shelton was supposed to be, even more mobile and unstoppable, but few were as tough as Phil, for a snap or two,

But along comes Trevon Coley, and made Shelton kind of expendable.

I've seen Trevon Coley knock down a pass in coverage, 19 yards down field, in a regular season game, from the D-line position,
And that Alone, is reason enough for me to lobby for the Browns to keep him.

look at it another way.

The Browns Need run stoppers, who can get to the Qb up the middle, (WITHOUT giving up running lanes) and that's what Coley is.

look, I like the other guys, the positional, rotational guys, but .. the Free agents with the big names,
Richardson, and Olivier,
They are not Big Heavy bodied NT guys as much as they are athletic side step and hit guys.

And you need a tree trunks for thighs big guy in the middle, x 3 or so, for 4th and one plays that matter, if nothing else.

Coley fits that bill, and not Ekuale, Chad Thomas Chris Smith or Zettle,

And I like em, But I'd cut em all before Coley.

But, A year from now, When they are spending a First round pick on ANOTHER! nose tackle, when they can't keep what they already have on their roster,

Because they just must be too blind to see the forest for the trees, then the cycle will continue.

You Gotta keep Coley, and they probably won't,

Sometimes I think, they just don't get it.

They're always hurt 10 times more by who they cut than they are helped by who they get.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
The only way Coley sticks is to be better than other backup DTs...your rant including Zettel, Smith and Thomas is misguided.

If he's in the top two with these guys, he will make it:

Lawrence
Ekuale
Davis
Price (already released)

If he's not, he's gone. He or whomever beats him out, will clearly be the 4th DT. Hardly a guy we GOTTA keep.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Brown 20 Lions 16 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard