Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Delanie Walker hearing Browns’ hype: All “Cleveland this, Cleveland that”

Posted by Charean Williams on September 2, 2019, 6:19 PM EDT

The Titans finished 9-7 last season, losing their season finale to finish short of the postseason. But all the Titans have heard all offseason is how good their first opponent is.

The Browns grace the cover of Sports Illustrated and have been featured prominently in GQ and ESPN the Magazine.

They are favored to beat the Titans on Sunday.

“The Tennessee Titans have always been under the radar. What’s new?’’ Walker said Monday, via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. “So I expect them to talk about the Cleveland Browns. Cleveland this, Cleveland that. We’re going to go in there and play football. As a group, we’ve just got to handle the noise and play our game.”

The Browns, who went 7-8-1 last season, have added receiver Odell Beckham, defensive end Olivier Vernon, defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson, defensive back Morgan Burnett and running back Kareem Hunt in the offseason. (Hunt will miss the first eight games while serving a suspension.)

That has made the Browns the talk of the NFL and a favorite to contend in the AFC North.

“That’s the NFL,’’ Walker said. “They like to pick the team they assume is going to be Super Bowl champs because they’ve got guys on that team that I guess they can turn a whole organization around, just two or three guys. But, hey, that’s how it goes. I like that they get the hype. You’ve just got to go in there and play football, you know what I mean?’’

It’s bulletin board material, but NFL players shouldn’t need bulletin board material to get motivated for the season opener.

Link

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
We could be. IMO we shouldn't be looking past anyone. We may look good on paper but the games have to be played. We have new coaches, new players and questions at O-line which we all know is very important. The Steelers retooled and look good. They are the team to beat and if we don't we won't win our division. It's fine to be optimistic but I'd be cautious. JMO

Legend
Legend
we probably are.

but the season is just about to begin. so as a fan, ill believe the hype until the team gives me a reason otherwise.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend

I don't believe a head coach in the NFL looks past any opponent.

There is not much that separates one team from another that is why they say "any given Sunday."

You make enough mental errors you can lose any game.

Walker is just looking for an edge.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I'm confident our leadership group - starting with the coaches - won't let us rest on our laurels.

Because ATM, we don't have a lot of laurels on which to park our rear ends.

We, as Browns fans, are understandably excited. On paper, we look really good, but it's hard to win consistently in the NFL, even when you're not derailed by injuries, bad luck, et cetera.

Gonna be fun.

Week 1 isn't a must-have.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
I don't think our Browns are overlooking the Titans by any means.

Media has the Browns hype, but the Browns are still trying to prove themselves - no different than the Titans are. Finishing the season below .500... nothing to boast about. No team should be overlooked.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
I’m not in the locker room so I don’t know the answer to that, but I will say that we had better be fully ready for two guys: Delanie Walker and Dion Lewis. Both of their skill sets typically fare well against our defense.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Legend
Legend
T
Who is going to Qb the titans, Mariotta or Tannehil.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Mariota for awhile, then Tannehill, then the guy who played QB in high school but not since.

gmstrong

-----------------

Legend
Legend
Hold on. First week of the season, second week we face the Jets, but we're looking past the Titans??

Seems legit.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Freddie and staff don't seem to allow that.. but we will see...

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
I think Delaney Walker is saying people are forgetting the Titans
Have a talented football team too.
Read between the lines of his quotes he's also saying the
Most hyped teams in the off season usually fall short
Of expectations.
The Titans will win or lose on the decision making of Mariotta.
The Browns are going to hit him early and oftenjoy
Once he gets hit hard he's does come apart

B
2nd String
2nd String
B
I think he is confusing the media and maybe fans with the Browns Football team. I have confidence that our leaders Kitchens, Baker, Landry, Garrett, and Chub are not looking past the Titans.

And because of:

1. The Browns focus
coupled with
2. a Titans organization that I think is reeling a bit (Struggling starting QB, fighting for his job, best olineman suspended)
and
3. We are at the Dawgpound...

I think we win decisively

L
Legend
Legend
L
I think we win this game if Mayfield doesn't go full-on Houston, like last year when he threw all those picks against the Texans.

gmstrong

-----------------

Legend
Legend
Me: I"m not looking past anyone... I'm too stoked for Week 1 to be looking at any other week.

The Team: I *highly* doubt they are looking at anything or anyone other than the Titans. I'm betting that they're looking at making this more of a statement game than anything.

The scouts & assistants: I'm betting they're already looking ahead to the JETS and will be even moreso on Sunday, but that's part of their job.

The Media: 70% has already proclaimed us as having Arrived. The other 43% is warming the pitch and plucking feathers. Yes, those numbers overlap.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
Legend
Legend
C
If we win we were not looking past them.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
The Dawgpound that was started in the 80s with Minnifield and Dixon really should stay in that era
It's 2019.
New era new roster.
I think it's time the Browns fans tried a new theme.
Big Dawg and the Bone Lady were embarrasments enough.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
I think it's time the Browns fans tried a new theme.

It wasn't something that was "tried". Like all good things that stick, it just happened, and it started with the players.

It'll get replaced (or added to) when something else just "happens".

Browns is the Browns

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c

I'm relying on the team's training camp that was spent almost entirely in pads. That built a certain level of toughness. Mental as well as physical toughness. It accelerated football conditioning. Guys on both sides of the ball have already adjusted to carrying their pads. I expect that to show up as 4 quarters of execution.

Baker will benefit from having a season under his belt. Then you consider the upgrade in talent.

All indications are that the whole team has bought into Freddie's approach.

I feel very good about this team's readiness to compete.

All of the hype is outside of the team.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Who is calling the plays?

Freddie or the OC?

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
Game one?

Freddie 100%
Unless he finds himself with a hefty lead.
Then probably still Freddie.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This topic is silly.

Brownies looking past the Titans for the JETS???????????????

Get a grip.

E
Legend
Legend
E
All I know is Larry O spoke up and stated that we have been working on a defensive game plan against the Titans implimented weeks ago. I know we come with a lot of hype, that is scary cause we never had any national hype before. But like teams in the past around the NFL who had the hype also...Got to make all believers of the hype by simply Winning.

So the answer is no we are not looking past the Titans, we actually have been working hard and the hype is for the fans and Analysts cause that is what they do. The team however is not thinking all they have to do is show up. They I am sure are thinking about doing their jobs and then some!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
I hadn’t heard that quote from Larry O, so that’s good to hear (and not surprising) ... I’d think both teams will be super prepared for week 1. I do worry a bit about our lack of real time reps as a 1st team offense, but I think every team is in the same boat

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Apparently MKC hopes they are, digging up another negative vibe on the Browns.

What's a Delanie Walker anyhow?

I hope we do look past them and say so. How refreshing!

"If you can't say something nice about someone, then . . . ."

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bonefish

I don't believe a head coach in the NFL looks past any opponent.

There is not much that separates one team from another that is why they say "any given Sunday."

You make enough mental errors you can lose any game.

Walker is just looking for an edge.

Browns haven't won a opener in how long?It's the media that sets the tone for some of the nonsense,the team isn't overlooking anyone.

Legend
Legend
If you pay attention to anything that Freddie Kitchens says, there is no way they are looking past the Titans.. NO WAY.

Does that mean we'll win,, No,, it doesn't guarantee anything.

This looks a lot like bulletin board material.. and nothing more to me.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: eotab
I know we come with a lot of hype, that is scary cause we never had any national hype before.

well, we have.... the season following Derek Anderson's breakout year we received a ton of hype. Nowhere near the level we're getting now - actually, I don't recall many teams EVER getting this level of hype - but we were still hyped and we got a few national games & MNF that season.

We rewarded the hype by imploding. All of the receivers stopped bailing out Anderson and we shriveled and wilted in the spotlight.

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I don't believe anyone in the organization or on this team is overlooking the Titans. But what this type of talk does do is set the stage. Now I know you can't draw any conclusions from the preseason nor does it give you a clue as to how you will open the season. But I will say this.

The Titans are a sold team. Mariota is on his contract year and if anything can bring the best out in a player it's an upcoming contract negotiation.

We have a new HC. Now I know all of the arguments against that statement but it is what it is. We have a new OC and a new DC. If we have anything to be concerned about it will be a struggle coming out of the gate with all new coaches at their perspective positions with the Browns. Sometimes implementing new systems and coaches takes a little time to fire on all cylinders. We hope not and it may not be the case at all. But if I had to state my biggest concern, that would be it.

But if that does happen, you won't hear about it. This article along with other talk will hone in on, "The Browns were looking past the titans and weren't focused."

I don't believe there will be an ounce of truth to it. But we all know how things go once a narrative has been set.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Nope. We're gonna beat their ass. It's our time.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
I don't think any team overlooks their opposition in week 1 ... starting well is too important. I expect Miami to be pretty woeful - maybe 3 wins throughout the season - but I don't think their week 1 opponents will be overlooking Miami ... Titans are far better than Miami imo.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
J/c

Three things worry me about the Titans:

1. Their DL is no joke
2. Delanie Walker
3. Dion Lewis

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I don't know about the team, but I think some of our fans are overlooking the Titans.

Their offense is not very good, but their defense is legit. They were 8th in yards and 3rd in points last year. The Browns were 30th and 21st.

I have been reading the predictions of what our offensive guys will do and about how many points we will score. Not sure how realistic those predictions are?

I will say that it will be a nice accomplishment if the Brown's offense lights up the Titan defense.

Legend
Legend
Agreed ... I see a lot of predictions in the 30s and even some in the 40s ... if we score more than 24 against Tennessee I’ll be content.

If our defense can’t hold them under that number, we deserve to lose of course

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
J/C

I am pretty sure its impossible to look past the first game. I mean, you are so geared up for the season, the first game is ALL YOU CAN THINK ABOUT!

I highly doubt the team will be focused on anything else. As someone said, doesn't mean we cant lose, but I expect our guys to be prepared and ready to play.

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
This topic is silly.

Get a grip.

Lighten up, Francis.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V

Legend
Legend

There are no gimmie's.

Walker and Henry are both good players who can cause damage.

They do have a very good defense.

For me given our history; I sweat every team.

All we have read. All the hope we have. It is my belief that every Browns fan still has lingering doubts. That is who we are because we have every reason to feel that way.

I would love to say and actually believe we will crush the Titans.

I can't.

I have to see this team play a game to get a feel for who we really are.

After this game I will be more confident in making predictions.

Legend
Legend
I agree bone ... heck, even if we drill the titans I’ll still be weary of the Jets ... i just think it’s unwise to think anything’s a gimme

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
This topic is silly.

Get a grip.

Lighten up, Francis.

How did you know my first name?

You must be clairvoyant.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 13 Titans 43 Are we looking past the Titans? Delanie Walker thinks so.

Link Copied to Clipboard