Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
T

Thought I would start something fun, and learn something as well. As you that know me, you know that draft time is my favorite time. I will admit this year, I know less than usual (working in the medical field, I have been overly consumed in work-thus missing a lot of the college games I usually catch) I'm ready to digest the players you guys throw at me....

So give me one player, whom you think will be a fine/gem in rounds 5-7 (at any position)...I'll start.

DE Patrick Johnson- I remember checking this guy out for last years draft where he seemed to be more of a projected round 4 guy, he seems to be mocked in rounds 5-7 this year. This guy actually has a solid spin move, not Dwight Freeney by any means...However it's not everyday a young college DE has this move in succession. The guy produces and has done it year in and out, and seems to stay low and shoot on the snap count. Heck they even dropped him in coverage at Tulane, which he handled well for an end. Obviously he is not without faults, as he is not one of those specimen ends people drool over. I don't think he will test anything like Jayson Oweh, But I think you'd be surprised if you went by only the tape alone. I think this guy could surprise some down the road.

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Joshua Kaindoh DE -FSU

HT
6'6"
DOB
12/27/1998
WT
260 lbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: vadawgfan07
Joshua Kaindoh DE -FSU

HT
6'6"
DOB
12/27/1998
WT
260 lbs

woah.... that's like the year I graduated high school .sad face!

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
Joshua Kaindoh DE -FSU

HT
6'6"
DOB
12/27/1998
WT
260 lbs

It's almost 2 decades after I graduated. crazy (17 years)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Sending them to where they belong to the waiver wire.

Cheers to being a talented enough team where 5-7th round draft picks are properly identified as not being good enough to make the 53 man roster.

Maybe the practice squad.

A team smart enough to make that decision, that is the hidden gem.

The Gem is not getting rid of a player with more upside just to keep all the players you drafted on your roseter.

The Gem is drafting to replace players who need to be replaced, not drafting to replace the good players already veterans on your team.

(Ugh! I just remembered reading Jalaen ?, DT, signed with the Eagles,) There goes your healthy Larry Ogunjobi replacement.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Joshua Kaindoh DE -FSU

HT
6'6"
DOB
12/27/1998
WT
260 lbs

It's almost 2 decades after I graduated. crazy (17 years)

Sad isn't it? I hate when those cute little 20 somethings at work ask when I started there, and then I get hit with, "Wow...I wasn't even born yet!"

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Jonathan Marshall, DT, Arkansas is my projected late round guy.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Joshua Kaindoh DE -FSU

HT
6'6"
DOB
12/27/1998
WT
260 lbs

Well my man, get used to it.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Paddy Fisher Northwestern LB

CONF Big Ten

HT 6'3.5"

DOB 01/23/1998

WT 239 lbs

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm going to take the liberty of adding two. One on defense and one on offense.

Garrett Wallow- TCU OLB, 6'2" 230Lbs:
Beginning his career in the secondary at the safety position, Wallow became one of the most productive linebackers in the Big 12 over the last two seasons, as well as in the country. Wallow has been able to retain his athletic profile while he has added a substantial amount of weight to his frame. Moving sideline to sideline, he has shown the ability to make plays all over the field. For a slightly undersized off ball linebacker, he does a more than commendable job at the point of attack. He makes strong informal contact, showing urgent hand fighting to get off of blocks. Wallow is able to ...
Preview Analysis provided byNFL Draft Bible on SI

Cornell Powell - Clemson WR 6' 205LBS:
Emerging as Clemon’s vertical threat in the offense in 2020 throughout the latter half of the season, Cornell Powell has found a productive role for the first time in his career with the Tigers’ program. Swallowed up in a deep unit over the last few years, Powell has yet to have the opportunity to garner consistent looks or playing time. Since his breakout game vs Boston College in 2020, Powell has been just the playmaker they have been lacking on the perimeter of that offense. Powell could be a hidden gem in this 2021 NFL Draft class. He has a suddenness to his breaks that make you optimis...

I don't subscribe to the SI draft Bible so the editing is theirs. Taken from the https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/mock-draft-simulator

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My late round gem is anyone who can kick a field goal AND an extra point.

T
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg

That's a good one, as I haven't noted him at all...Will def. digest some of his tape!

T
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
I'm going to take the liberty of adding two. One on defense and one on offense.

Garrett Wallow- TCU OLB, 6'2" 230Lbs:
Beginning his career in the secondary at the safety position, Wallow became one of the most productive linebackers in the Big 12 over the last two seasons, as well as in the country. Wallow has been able to retain his athletic profile while he has added a substantial amount of weight to his frame. Moving sideline to sideline, he has shown the ability to make plays all over the field. For a slightly undersized off ball linebacker, he does a more than commendable job at the point of attack. He makes strong informal contact, showing urgent hand fighting to get off of blocks. Wallow is able to ...

Cornell Powell - Clemson WR 6' 205LBS:
Emerging as Clemon’s vertical threat in the offense in 2020 throughout the latter half of the season, Cornell Powell has found a productive role for the first time in his career with the Tigers’ program. Swallowed up in a deep unit over the last few years, Powell has yet to have the opportunity to garner consistent looks or playing time. Since his breakout game vs Boston College in 2020, Powell has been just the playmaker they have been lacking on the perimeter of that offense. Powell could be a hidden gem in this 2021 NFL Draft class. He has a suddenness to his breaks that make you optimis...

I don't subscribe to the SI draft Bible so the editing is theirs. Taken from the https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/mock-draft-simulator

I'm a big fan of Wallow, was always amazed when seeing him in some mocks as a round 7 guy, though I think a lot are in line with you, as he seems to have climbed some in mocks (more recent) But great choice nonetheless!

And another good pick with Powell, honestly I only really knew of him during Clemsons pro day a month ago, when I was checking testing numbers...which he knocked out of the park...Could be a sneaky target in the later portion of the draft.

T
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
T
Joshua Kaindoh DE -FSU

HT
6'6"
DOB
12/27/1998
WT
260 lbs

He's quite the specimen, I know FSU has another one in Robinson. See these are the later round guys I love, one's oozing with potential but more safely picked in the later portions of the draft. I know I wouldn't mind him one bit, especially if we double dip at DE!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Paddy Fisher Northwestern LB

CONF Big Ten

HT 6'3.5"

DOB 01/23/1998

WT 239 lbs
I’d like this as well

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

I started looking into this player. I think you may be on to something. What round would you project for taking him?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Shaka Toney, DE/OLB, Penn State
Height: 6-3. Weight: 252.
Projected 40 Time: 4.7.
Projected Round (2021): 4-6.

3/13/21: Toney had a solid 2020 season, getting after the quarterback and showing some improvement as a run defender.
9/5/20: Toney has increased his sack production each year with Penn State, showing improvement in his ability to get pressure on the quarterback. His production in run defense has also improved, but Toney has to get stronger for the NFL.

Career Stats

Team Games SackUA SackA Sacks TFL TacklesFF
2017 Penn St. 12 3 2 4 8 20 2
2018 Penn St. 13 5 0 5 8 23 1
2019 Penn St. 13 6 1 6.5 10 41 0
2020 Penn St. 5 4 0 4 6 13 1

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: guard dawg

I started looking into this player. I think you may be on to something. What round would you project for taking him?

After his pro day, I'm not sure he lasts very long at all on day 3 if he even makes it there.

He had been ranked in the 300s on some of the mock draft simulators, but personally I could see taking him all the way up in the 3rd round now maybe.

Finding players I like is easy. Trying to figure out where they will end up going in the draft not so much. Those unranked/late round grades felt a bit ridiculous to me, but it's hard to know where exactly to slot him. If someone had only shown me the first half of the Alabama-Arkansas game and told me one of the DTs was a projected first rounder, I'd have probably guessed Marshall.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
His workout combined with his tape definitely boost his draft stock. This is a thin interior D line class and he is looking like one of the better prospects. Round 3 would not be out of the question for taking him.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Sending them to where they belong to the waiver wire.

Cheers to being a talented enough team where 5-7th round draft picks are properly identified as not being good enough to make the 53 man roster.

Maybe the practice squad.

A team smart enough to make that decision, that is the hidden gem.

The Gem is not getting rid of a player with more upside just to keep all the players you drafted on your roseter.

The Gem is drafting to replace players who need to be replaced, not drafting to replace the good players already veterans on your team.

(Ugh! I just remembered reading Jalaen ?, DT, signed with the Eagles,) There goes your healthy Larry Ogunjobi replacement.

You know DPJ was a 6th rounder right? The point is to still find players who you think can be an impact... or at least grow into that spot.

Nick Harris is also a good example. You can still find production at later rounds... chill

E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...

My late round GEM is:
Spencer Brown OT 6'8" 311 lbs. 4.88 40time Northern Iowa.

With Hallahan as his coach he would be able to reign in the proper technique for this RARE Talent and he is my late round GEM!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
All Pro
All Pro
I do actually like Bobby Brown as far as day 3 guys. He could still be around for the 5th round pick and would be a solid...err...New Edition to our DT rotation. If it were my prerogative to choose every little step we take in the draft, he would be up there for late round gems.

Too much?

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: RedBaron
I do actually like Bobby Brown as far as day 3 guys. He could still be around for the 5th round pick and would be a solid...err...New Edition to our DT rotation. If it were my prerogative to choose every little step we take in the draft, he would be up there for late round gems.

Too much?

Nah...good enough/just about right...but you can cool it now.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The following are most likely mid-round selections, not late-round, however:

- a developmental QB such as Kyle Trask or David Mills?

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: eotab
j/c...

My late round GEM is:

With Hallahan as his coach he would be able to reign in the proper technique for this RARE Talent and he is my late round GEM!

Interesting find.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Johnathan Adams, Wr Arkansas St. 6'3" 220

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
Originally Posted By: eotab
j/c...

My late round GEM is:

Interesting find.

Some film from Senior Bowl reps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyqd_7ZdTgs

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season 2021 NFL Draft Who is your late round gem??

Link Copied to Clipboard