Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Tiger Woods wins Zozo Championship, ties Sam Snead’s PGA Tour wins record

Well, he’s a creature of habit, as all elite golfers are. You give Tiger Woods a three-shot lead with seven holes to play, he’s going to win, a thousand times out of a thousand, no matter what little wrinkles you throw in his way.

And there were wrinkles. Tiger Woods was playing in the first-ever PGA Tour event in Japan. There weren’t as many leaderboards as there are at a Tour event in the Lower 48, and Woods likes to know exactly how things stand. Owing to a typhoon, the tournament was finishing on a Monday morning, when Woods did not expect to be there. The course was short, wide easy and soft, and Woods prefers long, wide, difficult and firm. It was also almost 8,000 miles from his South Florida home, and from two young children. Woods, a single father, is happiest when their routines match his own.

The morning was cool enough that he wore a black sweater-vest over his customary fourth-round red shirt, and his surgically-repaired back prefers the warm days, if not downright hot. The golf historians were waiting for him to finish, to rewrite one very important line in the Tour record book, and that could not be absent from his mind, just as he knew at Augusta this year that he was trying to win his first green coat in 14 years.

There were only 3,000 fans on hand, so there was no crowd noise to rev him up. His closest pursuer, local boy Hideki Matsuyama, was in the group of front him, and Woods would always prefer to see his would-be assassin at close range. After a long week, and a long Sunday in Japan in which he played 29 holes in succession, he did not have a lively gait on Monday morning, Tokyo time.

Any of those things could have tripped up Tiger Woods, at least in theory.

Your 2019 Zozo Championship champion is Tiger Woods. It was Woods’ 82nd PGA Tour win, which ties him for the all-record. It rises his Official World golf Ranking to six. It almost guarantees he will play on the U.S. Presidents Cup team, which would make him the first playing captain in the event since Hale Irwin in the first rendition, in 1994.

Sam Snead’s 82nd official PGA Tour win was in 1965, at the Greater Greensboro Open, at the Sedgefield Country Club, a classic old Donald Ross course, but of course much younger then. He was 52 and he won by five over three Americans, Billy Casper, Phil Rodgers and Jack McGowan. Tiger Woods’s 82nd official PGA Tour came at the Narashino Country Club, on a composite course opened in the mid-1970s and located about an hour from the Tokyo International Airport, if you’re not driving through a typhoon. Woods won by three shots over Hideki Matsuyama. Snead’s first-place check was for $11,000. That’s the equivalent of about $90,000 today. Woods won $1.75 million.

Snead’s win-total is the subject of some debate, as the accounting behind his win total has changed over the years. Nearly every shot of Woods’ 82 victories were recorded by TV cameras.

The victory wasn’t easy and Woods didn’t make it look easy. He never does, even when won his fourth Tour win (the 1997 Masters by 12), his 20th (the 2000 U.S. Open by 15), his 80th (the 2018 Tour Championship by two) and his 81st (the 2019 Masters by one). From start to finish, over those seven holes, Woods was chomping hard on his gum. He said at the Masters he chews gum to suppress his on-course appetite. Other golfing gum-chewers have said it offers anxiety relief.

Woods made a bogey on his first hole of the day, after three consecutive mediocre shots on the par-4 12th hole: poor iron in a greenside trap, poor bunker shot, commercial lag for par. After that, he was solid. Solid enough. He got a break when Matsuyama, playing in front of him, missed a five-foot birdie putt on 14. Had he made it, who knows what would have happened? But Matsuyama did what scores of other golfers have done when trying to beat Woods down the stretch. They made mistakes, thereby allowing Woods to play the conservative golf be prefers to play.

Woods was playing with two Americans, Gary Woodland, the reigning U.S. Open champion, and Keegan Bradley, the 2011 PGA champion. There were signs in English for Lexus (luxury Japanese car manufacturer) and Zozo (a Japanese retailer). But, even through Golf Channel’s excellent prime-time coverage, there was something obviously foreign about this effort Woods was making, to match the win total of a true American archetype, Sam Snead. When play began at 7:30 a.m. with the sound of a horn, spectators clapped politely. Nobody was yelling, “You the MAN!” or any other idiotic thing. When golf is played in the Summer Games next year in Japan, you can expect large galleries with exquisite etiquette. It’s possible that Woods will be playing in those games.

So now, at 43, his chase is on. For his 83rd Tour win. For his 16th professional major. For his first Olympic team. For his first experience as a playing captain.

Tiger’s final hole was a par 5 that he played with a two-shot lead. He walked up the fairway with his hands in his pockets for a while and he waived off a cameraman who got too close. He had spat out his gum. He wiped the perspiration off his right hand before descending into the greenside bunker where his third shot awaited him. All he had to do was not blade it or fat it.

He hit a solid one, off a heavy, sandy lie. His face showed nothing. When he crouched to read the putt, it was not with the limberness of a Little League catcher. Chasing after those young Japanese kids in a Tokoyo Nike store was only a week ago, but it was a week that seemed like a month.

Tiger rolled in his 10-footer for a closing birdie, the three-shot win, his 82nd title, a closing 67. It was subdued, but it was big. This has been, in ways, one of the most remarkable years of his career. The Masters win, followed by a lot of futility. The win in Japan. The Presidents Cup coming up. The baby steps to a reconfigured life. Amazing. “I know what it’s like to have this game taken away from you,” Woods told Todd Lewis of Golf Channel. Yes, he does.

Sam Snead was a playing captain on the 1959 Ryder Cup team. Sam Snead was at the Champion’s Dinner at Augusta, telling dirty jokes, when Tiger first joined the Tuesday-night supper club. Early in Woods’ career Snead said, “He looks like he’s going to really be a force on the Tour.”

Yep.

https://www.golf.com/news/2019/10/27/tig...record-82-wins/

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
E
Legend
Legend
E
Pretty good for a drug addicted alcoholic womanizing douchebag.

No Craps Given
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
That's pretty harsh, I just started the thread. What are your thoughts on Tiger?

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
That's pretty harsh, I just started the thread. What are your thoughts on Tiger?

Tiger was the most dominant golfer the world has ever seen. It's a shame his personal life and some misguided priorities cost him 10 years of his pro life or he would own every record by a wide margin, including Jack's 18 majors.

He will never be close to the golfer he used to be but, by all accounts, he has grown into a much better person... and that's more important.

yebat' Putin
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: EveDawg

Yeah, I am sure the countless pain meds he was prescribed and told to take by his Doctors, the countless shots in the back to get through a tournament, etc had nothing to do with his behavior.

By all accounts, it seems he hit rock bottom, and came back from it to become a better person.

Kuddos to him. I am sure you are perfect.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: willitevachange

Yeah, I am sure the countless pain meds he was prescribed and told to take by his Doctors, the countless shots in the back to get through a tournament, etc had nothing to do with his behavior.

By all accounts, it seems he hit rock bottom, and came back from it to become a better person.

I'm not perfect. I can't sing the national anthem backwards like Tiger.

(Only people who pay attention to Tiger will understand that)

No Craps Given
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

I'm not perfect. I can't sing the national anthem backwards like Tiger.

(Only people who pay attention to Tiger will understand that)
Pretty common knowledge actually.

I also think its rich that someone who doesn't try to had alcoholism on the board, is throwing stones about someone's addiction and their downfall. Kuddos to you for being functional. . . thumbsup

E
Legend
Legend
E
I'm quite functional, thanks. If you feel that running a successful business is easy, then you try it.

My issue isnt with his drinking. Its with his womanizing.

You must relate to Tiger. I know its not your golf skills.

There's entire articles glamorizing his womanizing.
https://www.allure.com/gallery/tiger-woods-girlfriends

But, sure, go ahead and make excuses for him cheating on his wife. I have zero sympathy for cheaters and womanizers.

But, sure, he's probably a role model for you.

No Craps Given
D
Legend
Legend
D
I'll admit to not knowing what "singing the National Anthem backwards" means.

Does he just sing the lyrics in reverse order or does he say every word backwards and in reverse order? Also, does he sing the notes in reverse order while he does one of the above? Because that would be really hard ...

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Dave
I'll admit to not knowing what "singing the National Anthem backwards" means.

Does he just sing the lyrics in reverse order or does he say every word backwards and in reverse order? Also, does he sing the notes in reverse order while he does one of the above? Because that would be really hard ...

Here ya go

No Craps Given
P
Legend
Legend
P
But, sure, go ahead and make excuses for him cheating on his wife. I have zero sympathy for cheaters and womanizers.

It's a good thing he isn't running for office.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I'm quite functional, thanks. If you feel that running a successful business is easy, then you try it.

I can simultaneously hate that he did that and had those failings... while being happy that he appears to have overcome them... those two things can exist at the same time.

yebat' Putin
E
Legend
Legend
E
I'm glad you can. I dont have that ability because I have too much life experience with those types of men.

No Craps Given
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Sounds like you're against people reforming their lives. Do you know Tiger personally? Did he do something to you?

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
E
Legend
Legend
E
I'm glad you can. I dont have that ability because I have too much life experience with those types of men.

Quoted for tasty, since he cant seem to read.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
Congrats, Tiger!

Now, go get another Major!!

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

Happily married for 5 years, never cheated on a single person in my life.

Don't really relate to Tiger either, although I admire his ability and what he did for the game of golf - I always was sick of the over marketing of him.

I don't think anyone on this board can relate to Tiger's golf skills, great stab there Capt. Obvious!

How am I making excuses for his cheating? I didn't mention his marital affairs once. I mentioned his addiction - maybe you should focus less on your business and a little more on reading comprehension.

BUT, I would probably go out on a limb and say his addiction may have had an impact on it. IDK, I am not a Therapist.

I don't look to athletes or celebrities as role models, the fact you automatically think I do, hints that you do, which is sad.

I have had two role models in my life, both of whom have taught me to judge people based on their actions as a whole, not just when they a tough stretch. Tiger is 43 (I just looked it up) to judge him (or anyone) on a small period of his life, especially when he has been an outstanding citizen and by all accounts father since is not really a good look on your part.

Also, you said "my issue isn't with his drinking", if you think drinking was tigers problem - you obviously don't know a thing about what your trying to talk about.

That's all.

Legend
Legend
Why are y’all discussing tiger as if he committed sexual assault or something?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Legend
Legend
P
Imagine what people would say if he had been married three times and cheated on all of them.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Swish
Right? I mean, lets be honest - he was the most famous person in the world, its not like people didn't know he was married. Some accountability on the other ends of those affairs should be pointed out as well.

If you only meeting womanizers, maybe they should adjust or re-evaluate where you are meeting men......J/S

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Swish
Right? I mean, lets be honest - he was the most famous person in the world, its not like people didn't know he was married. Some accountability on the other ends of those affairs should be pointed out as well.

If you only meeting womanizers, maybe they should adjust or re-evaluate where you are meeting men......J/S

You sure make a lot of excuses for Tiger's womanizing and try really hard to deflect. Why are you trying to make it all about me and inventing imaginary stories when you know nothing about me? Tiger Woods is a crappy human being who treats women badly. Those are the facts. My mind really wont change about that.

No Craps Given
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
Why are you trying to make it all about me and inventing imaginary stories when you know nothing about me?

After you posted:

Quote:

Quote:

Dang, I hope you wearing boots throwing around all that hypocritical BS.

Also, you have a problem with womanizers, but don't say a word about the women who willfully slept with him knowing he was married. . . .

Stop making excuses for a women wanting to get a piece and probably get into his pocketbook, and then blaming the guy for being a "womanizer"

E
Legend
Legend
E
Quote:
Why are you trying to make it all about me and inventing imaginary stories when you know nothing about me?

After you posted:

Quote:

Quote:

Dang, I hope you wearing boots throwing around all that hypocritical BS.

You are still making it about me. Try scrolling up higher than that. I know you can do it. Scrolling is not a difficult skill. Try really, really hard.

No Craps Given
E
Legend
Legend
E
And now youre trying to deflect and blame women for Tigers cheating?
So I guess Tiger is not in control of his body now.

No Craps Given
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
As much as those women are, he is.

Last I checked, not a single woman claimed he raped them, so they deserve blame, as does any other women who knowingly sleeps with a married man. As billy Madison said, "it takes two to tango"

Tiger cheated on his wife, he has to live and atone for that.

Those women have a blame in what happened, just as does Tiger. You are calling out bad behavior, while justifying the exact same bad behavior. Its hilarious.

E
Legend
Legend
E
As much as those women are, he is.

Last I checked, not a single woman claimed he raped them, so they deserve blame, as does any other women who knowingly sleeps with a married man.

You are wrong. A marriage is a promise and vow between two people. You cant blame the rest of the world for your problems when you decide to cheat.

Of course those women should have not been involved with him. But his marriage vows are not their responsibility. Its his.

No Craps Given
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I know what marriage is, I am married.

I am not wrong. You are just mad and trying to cover up for misgivings of your fellow woman. You see, in some peoples world, they can do no wrong. Their actions are not their fault, and always someone else's.

As we can see here with you reply's. You want to degrade the EXACT same behavior for one person, and not the other. You realize at least one of these women was married as well, right? Nothing about that. Nothing about the fact that another women was traveling the world doing interviews afterwards, seeking to be a model and actress....

dang girl, the more I look into this, looks like they TARGETED Tiger...... rofl

E
Legend
Legend
E
No, you dont have any idea.

I've been cheated on. I never blamed the women because my relationship was not with them. It was with HIM. And if he couldnt keep his dick in his pants its on HIM because he was supposed to be in a relationship with ME.

I dont see Tiger blaming those women.
I dont see Tiger's ex wife blaming those women.
Tiger owned his mistakes at least. He's a bigger man than you are, and that's not saying much.

No Craps Given
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
No, you dont have any idea.

I've been cheated on. I never blamed the women because my relationship was not with them. It was with HIM. And if he couldnt keep his dick in his pants its on HIM because he was supposed to be in a relationship with ME.

I dont see Tiger blaming those women.
I dont see Tiger's ex wife blaming those women.
Tiger owned his mistakes at least. He's a bigger man than you are, and that's not saying much.
wow, with a mouth like that, its a wonder your single. . .

FYI, how would you know what his ex wife has or has not blamed? lol. I don't recall her doing much press about it. Glad you have all kinds of inside info on their feelings of the subject.

Your right Tiger has owned his mistakes, which is why this entire conversation started. He has owned his mistakes and moved on with his life, and has overcome some giant obstacles. Kuddos to him!

Maybe you should put down your bitterness and take some notes on how to do so.

FYI - I have been in numerous relationships with various women. Never have I cheated, and never have I been cheated on. None of the relationships I have been in worked out, other than the one with my wife, but none of them were negative or destructive.

Some people just need to be more selective of who they are with.

Tiger and Elin where together for 4 days before they got married. . . .

Im sure she knew exactly what he was like superconfused

C
Legend
Legend
C

This is not true.

Also, why are other addictive behaviors forgiven but not sex addiction?

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think that's a very murky diagnosis that even some mental health care experts don't believe exists.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

This is not true.

Well I was going what I read.

https://www.whosdatedwho.com/dating/tiger-woods-and-elin-nordegren

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

This is not true.

Well I was going what I read.

https://www.whosdatedwho.com/dating/tiger-woods-and-elin-nordegren

Your googlefu skills are clearly lacking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elin_Nordegren

Also, since you love inventing imaginary stories about me, I am single because I choose to be. Not from lack of suitors. Relationships are a lot of work, and there aren't that many men that I find interesting enough to invest time and energy into. Most of the time it's better to have them as guy friends. Because then I can spend time with them and not have any commitment.

No Craps Given
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
I find it telling that you automatically associated this with your situation. I said some people, we have been talking about tiger and his mistresses. . . .

Quote:

As are your typing skills.

Quote:
Because then I can spend time with them and not have any commitment.
So your a "manizer". I really think you don't know the definition of the word, or are blind to see the hypocrisy.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Quote:
I find it telling that you automatically associated this with your situation. I said some people, we have been talking about tiger and his mistresses. . . .

Quote:

As are your typing skills.

Quote:
Because then I can spend time with them and not have any commitment.
So your a "manizer". I really think you don't know the definition of the word, or are blind to see the hypocrisy.

Since when does having friends of the opposite sex make someone a user.

I said FRIEND. I don't have sex with my guy friends.

You really suck at debate when all you can do is make up lies. Come at me when you get some actual facts and/or grow a brain.

No Craps Given
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
Most of the time it's better to have them as guy friends. Because then I can spend time with them and not have any commitment.
Maybe, along with your typing course you should take up how to format a sentence during the topic you are speaking on.

YOU were talking about suitors of men, and then posted this in the same paragraph. The reader would extrapolate from where you typed this that you were implying you have men as physical mates with no commitment.

Now, either you didn't realize that, or you did it on purpose to generate the reaction I got from reading it, so you can then turn it around like you did as an "ah-ha" moment against me.

Either way, that's on you.

E
Legend
Legend
E
You don't understand what a friend is?
Do you hang out with your friends?
Do you have any friends?
Have you ever had a friend?
Do you understand what it means to hang out with a friend?
Do you understand that romantic relationships are a lot more work than a friendship? And a commitment?

Are you sure you are married? I'm calling BS on that. Incel is more like it. You don't seem to know anything. I'm not sure you even ever managed to get out of your parent's basement.

Do I have to draw everything in crayons for you?

Did you even graduate high school? You don't seem to have even the most basic of reading comprehension. That and you make up words that don't exist. "Manizer".

No Craps Given
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Tiger Woods ties Sam Snead at 82

Link Copied to Clipboard