Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
I know it is still quite a ways off, but what happens?

Do the players still get paid?

Does the season count as far as free agency accrual for the players?

Will games still be played without fans in the stands?

Lot's of questions. I guess with baseball around the corner, what MLB does will give us a good indication of what the NFL might do even though baseball has minimal body contact as opposed to the other sports, but they are throwing a common ball around.

The best hope is this crisis goes away, and it will sooner or later, but right now it is looking like later.

Thoughts?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I think the league could come up with a modified off season program..

Continue with any activities that can be done via phone or video conferencing.. ie Free Agency.. Draft..

Send out playbooks to anyone on roster to have that in their hands.

Players can do individual workouts.

Scrap the Voluntary camp, and delay any team activities until early June. When its go time, players MUST show up.

If things don't look on the up before June, then just delay everything, and next years off season would just be shorter, which would be a win for fans anyway. lol.

I don't have all the answers, and probably not the right ones, but those are some thoughts off the top of my head.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I believe that there are to be no team visits for draft=eligible players and I fully expect that the draft will be conducted by video conferencing. I don't forsee the draft being cancelled...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
The Draft is a big Hype machine. You really don't need that hype to effectively carry on the draft. I suspect that they'll have the draft but virtual vs being somewhere to make a big deal out of it.

I got no idea how they'll handle OTA's and Camp

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
Legend
Legend
M
I think there is every chance the crisis is ongoing come the start of preseason ... but my hope is that we are in control and have the ability to instantly test and see results. If so I could see the season going ahead - potentially without fans in stands - but with players and officials and team staff all tested before and after games.

The draft can all be done remotely and can be done without the hoopla that it has become. I still hate Thursday night starts ... much too Hollywood for me.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
The biggest and maybe realistic hope for mid-summer is that we've found some kind of antiviral medicine to lower the risk of the severe symptoms. Meaning, we can lower the mortality rate for those at risk. That could elevate stress on the hospitals and reduce the fear among the public. And yes, with instant testing, they'd be able to quarantine people faster.

We should know a helluva lot more about the virus by then. Think about this, almost every scientist on the planet will be putting all else aside to help with this thing. The sheer amount of human hours put forth should and hopefully give us something to be positive about in late spring.

It's just a matter of waiting this thing out. I'm praying every 10 minutes that the smart humans out there can solve this puzzle.

Only then will we get to answer the question of whether or not we'll have a NFL season.

#GoScience

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
I’ve heard and read a few different things that have me worried that this will linger into the fall .. if the season is canceled, I’m sure the owners will be generous smile

But in reality, there’s probably some modification/compromise in the CBA

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I propose a round-robin, double elimination, all-teams, no-byes tournament right after draft.

2020: We play rock-paper-scissors for the Super Bowl. We avoid the lame halftime spectacle, and it can all be done via teleconferencing. Neat, sweet, we get to compete. I am sure the NFL competition committee will want to meddle in this muddle, but, hey, instant replay and non-calls are possible. Everything else is hype-covered excess and merchandising, so business as usual. Big win for the money ballers.

Wish i was seriously joking.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
C
Legend
Legend
C
If we are lucky things will be getting back to normal around July. That allows for the NFL to start on time. I don’t think we’ll be lucky.

D
Legend
Legend
D

Legend
Legend
Makes sense.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
D
Legend
Legend
D
I would guess they'll stage it in Vegas next year and push Cleveland to 2022.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
I believe that there are to be no team visits for draft=eligible players and I fully expect that the draft will be conducted by video conferencing. I don't forsee the draft being cancelled...

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave
I would guess they'll stage it in Vegas next year and push Cleveland to 2022.
i wonder if they’d be able to

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Might be the first season the Browns don't suck and let the greatest fan base ever down...

I really don't care about the over paid athletes as much as the single moms losing their jobs in the Restaurants Bars Cinemas Gyms etc etc... Not just single moms..but all people who already struggle on a daily basis.

I know many good people who lost their jobs and they never made $5000 a day. Some of my close stripper friends asked if I could put a pole in my basement.. I said hell noooo.. It's going in the living room...

Legend
Legend

OTA's are already suspended.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The 2020 NFL season will be brought to you by Madden.

You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
C
Legend
Legend
C
If the season is canceled we will all pass Dawgs4Life in post count because there will be no gameday threads.

Legend
Legend
Sure hope so

<><

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
If the season is canceled we will all pass Dawgs4Life in post count because there will be no gameday threads.

Just to be clear this was a joke. Dawgs4Life is the best.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
I know it is still quite a ways off, but what happens?

Do the players still get paid?

Does the season count as far as free agency accrual for the players?

Will games still be played without fans in the stands?

Lot's of questions. I guess with baseball around the corner, what MLB does will give us a good indication of what the NFL might do even though baseball has minimal body contact as opposed to the other sports, but they are throwing a common ball around.

The best hope is this crisis goes away, and it will sooner or later, but right now it is looking like later.

Thoughts?

I think the possibility of the NFL's 2020-2021 season being cancelled is a very real.

There are just too many unknowns concerning this virus to be able to predict the future of the upcoming season.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
E
Legend
Legend
E
Shut your mouth!!! fingerscrossed

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
If everybody is still grounded and unemployed football will be the least of our worries. frown

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
My guess is that they would delay the season a month or so and/or play a few weeks without fans. It could be a shortened season as well. I think what MLB does will provide some clue as to how Goodell will go with it.

I don't know how they would handle it, but if you do do the above, do you reimburse fans who have tickets?

Covid19 isn't going away. How prevalent it is, is the question. So at some point, you have to grip it and rip it and live life. Viruses mutate too. Here we are though in 2020 where I was told as a kid back in the 80's we'd be rocketing to Mars but instead we are teaching people to wash their hands and cover their mouth when they cough....oh well...

B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
If everybody is still grounded and unemployed football will be the least of our worries. frown

Hey, I agree. Just trying to talk football and keep it level.

Stay safe everybody. Many stores now offer a senior hour from 7-8 to allow the hardest hit to by supplies before the mobs show up. Good move. We don't have large families. We buy for 1-2 and aren't going to get in to a fistfight over toilet paper.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I will be very surprised if school/college/football starts up in the Fall. I think this thing is just getting started. I hope I am wrong about that... Everyone stay safe out there! Hopefully, this won't get as bad as Italy.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77
I will be very surprised if school/college/football starts up in the Fall. I think this thing is just getting started. I hope I am wrong about that... Everyone stay safe out there! Hopefully, this won't get as bad as Italy.

I agree. Sticking a bunch of students in to dorm rooms isn't a good idea. It will all be online study.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
F
Legend
Legend
F
I think we will have meds to fight it by May/June. And things will start getting back to normal for most folks. Only the elderly and immune deficient will still be at risk, although much lower with available treatments.

Biggest concern, is if the virus goes through more mutations and previous immunities are not enough.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
The cratering of the economy, sports included, is flat out absurd. Ohio has a population 11.75 million people and only 88 cases so far. That translates to .000748% of the population. There is absolutely no reason to cancel or shut down anything.

Legend
Legend

Glad we have your expert opinion.

My sister has known and worked with Dr. Anthony Fauci for over thirty years.

They dig a little deeper than the population divided by the number of reported cases.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Sorry you cant handle facts. Those are facts not opinions.

Legend
Legend

Maybe you should stick to what you know which is very little.

Your facts are changing by the hour.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
My facts are changing by the hour. Which still means it isn't even close to being signifcant.

So if what you do for work, and you went to your manager and said I wanna do this and your boss asks you, what are the chances of that happening, and you reply with .002% chance, you would get laughed out of his office

Last edited by Browns2020; 03/19/20 10:16 AM.
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I am still trying to figure out what you are good at. Looking at your posts, I would say ZERO

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Browns2020
There is absolutely no reason to cancel or shut down anything.

That is definitely just your opinion.

You want to stop this before there's a widespread explosion of cases. That's a quick, easy reason.

Exponential growth doesn't play around. Numbers can go up quickly.

How best to avoid such a case is opinion. Are cancellations necessary? I dunno. That's a fact. Have an opinion on it? That's fine. Calling it a fact? You do you, I guess.

You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend

With each post you dig a deeper hole proving how little you know.

But that is a good thing so keep posting so everyone will get the point how little credibility you have.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The cratering of the economy, sports included, is flat out absurd. Ohio has a population 11.75 million people and only 88 cases so far. That translates to .000748% of the population. There is absolutely no reason to cancel or shut down anything.

88 *confirmed* cases. This does not include anyone who has not yet been tested. There can be 100,000 in the state with the virus. Until they are tested, we do not know.

Diving 88 by the number of people in OH that has been tested, and whose results are in, might be a relevant ratio.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Perhaps the reason we have so few cases is because of the policies the Governor of Ohio has put into effect.

Even with what the state is doing, we are still ramping up in total cases each day ... and since we now have more test kits, those numbers may really increase, despite best efforts.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend

You are ignorant. That number is for cases testing positive. It is damn near impossible to test people here, even those with positive symptoms. I know people that are coughing and have fevers and can't get tested. People like you will cause deaths. Why don't you go on spring break, troll?

Last edited by jfanent; 03/19/20 10:39 AM. Reason: to add "troll"

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum What if the season is canceled?

Link Copied to Clipboard